• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Caladrius

I decided to play KH2 on Proud Mode. I'm generally not very good at games and had trouble with Standard in the tougher fights... did I make a mistake?

Proud is only marginally harder than Normal. The only fights other than Xaldin and Demyx that might pose a problem are Thresholder and the Final boss.

Finally finished the intro after 3+ hours. Sheesh I forgot it was 6 days for Roxas, I distinctly remembered it was like 3. Maybe since I hated it so much I blocked out the rest from my memory, haha.

Anyway, finally the game has opened up to what I wanted to play from the start! Playing on Critical and so far (Mulan's world) it doesn't feel too difficult. Will I be in for a rude awakening soon?

Finally finished the intro after 3+ hours. Sheesh I forgot it was 6 days for Roxas, I distinctly remembered it was like 3. Maybe since I hated it so much I blocked out the rest from my memory, haha.

Anyway, finally the game has opened up to what I wanted to play from the start! Playing on Critical and so far (Mulan's world) it doesn't feel too difficult. Will I be in for a rude awakening soon?
Fucking Thresholder.

Luigi87

Thresholder is hard if you rush in on it. Maintaining a distance early, and utilizing the Reaction Commands of the Hook Bats makes it much easier.

...It's final phase at lv.1 was a pain in the ass, since if you accidentally let all the Hook Bats die, winning is nearly impossible due to its unblockable homing attack.

botty

Banned
Is there a general delay in this game as far as input controls? There are so many moments when I am playing this game that i feel like my button input is not going through as fast as it should. Anyway, I am up to Xigbar in my crit play through and it's annoying losing to a boss that isn't hard, but just spams to the point where I can't avoid everything without getting killed. I'm still low leveled and might just grind till I get Second Chance :/

I YOLO'd Critical without Final Form because I wanted to get the story over and done with quickly. Anti Form came up during my bout with Xigbar and actually helped me murder him far quicker cos the air time on its aerial attacks would keep me on Xigbar at all times but above the angle he fires at. Essentially free hits. Once that fight was over I had a new found respect for that form. :lol
First time playing back on ps2 used anti form during the xaldin fight and must have got him into a huge combo that destroyed his health bar

Man, I find world-exclusive party members to largely not be that useful, except for early on (and Simba because he wrecks those bosses). Kind of wish that in the Colisseum you could choose from any party member that you have partnered with throughout the game. Would make things interesting. Hopefully something to look forward to in KH3.

botty

Banned
Man, I find world-exclusive party members to largely not be that useful, except for early on (and Simba because he wrecks those bosses). Kind of wish that in the Colisseum you could choose from any party member that you have partnered with throughout the game. Would make things interesting. Hopefully something to look forward to in KH3.

Everyone would pick Tron.

Okay, is there input lag in Ice Cream Beat or something? Because I'm doing terribly, and this is coming from someone who played it in the PSP version religiously just because it's a fun mini-game. I've never had any problems getting "Excellent" hits until this HD version.

Berordn

Okay, is there input lag in Ice Cream Beat or something? Because I'm doing terribly, and this is coming from someone who played it in the PSP version religiously just because it's a fun mini-game. I've never had any problems getting "Excellent" hits until this HD version.

I was actually wondering the same or if it was just my TV. Never had an issue with it before 2.5.

I was actually wondering the same or if it was just my TV. Never had an issue with it before 2.5.

Wired my PS3 controller and played again just to be sure and fared far better (Fantastic on Destiny Islands Master, bitches!). There's definitely some sort of input lag going on.

Eh? If anything, it gets better as you remember where to go and what to do and, thus, can get to the good parts faster (and there ARE good parts in the Roxas intro). It also gets better because, as much as people hate KHs stories, the story of Roxas' last days is actually quite decent in many ways (dialogue can still be kind of bad, but the events themselves that start taking place are pretty good, imo) and you know exactly where the story is headed for Roxas, so you can kind of appreciate the sadness of it all a bit better.

Overall as a piece, it isn't BAD. It's kind of interesting, especially if its your first time. But playing it is absolutely a chore.

Especially the horrible KH model of, SMALL UNIMPORTANT CUTSCENE, 5-10 SECOND LOADING, SMALL VERY UNIMPORTANT CUTSCENE, 5-10 SECOND LOADING, BAD TYPED OUT TEXT, 2-5 SECOND LOADING, PLAYING IN A TUTORIAL.

I really hope that KH3 eliminates cutscene loading, actually has decent editing/cinematography and FULL voice acting. It will be inexcusable to not have full voice acting nowadays.

Psxphile

Don't recall if I was wired in at the time but I definitely noticed something off in the timing. I've already mentioned this much earlier in the thread but there's also some weird issue going down during the last beats of Destiny Islands master. You didn't notice anything was off there?

I actually thought getting Fantastic was much easier in the Remix. I remember Ice Cream Beat driving me nuts on PSP.

Overall as a piece, it isn't BAD. It's kind of interesting, especially if its your first time. But playing it is absolutely a chore.

Especially the horrible KH model of, SMALL UNIMPORTANT CUTSCENE, 5-10 SECOND LOADING, SMALL VERY UNIMPORTANT CUTSCENE, 5-10 SECOND LOADING, BAD TYPED OUT TEXT, 2-5 SECOND LOADING, PLAYING IN A TUTORIAL.

I really hope that KH3 eliminates cutscene loading, actually has decent editing/cinematography and FULL voice acting. It will be inexcusable to not have full voice acting nowadays.

Birth by Sleep actually does a decent job of doing away with those pesky text based cutscenes.

Don't recall if I was wired in at the time but I definitely noticed something off in the timing. I've already mentioned this much earlier in the thread but there's also some weird issue going down during the last beats of Destiny Islands master. You didn't notice anything was off there?

Those last beats were actually the specific parts that baffled me. That part in particular was always tricky, but there's definitely something off about the timing there compared to the PSP version.

Best way to handle that would be making world-exclusive party members purely additive (e.g. Sora + Donald + Goofy + Simba) instead of forcing you to dismiss either Donald or Goofy for them.

Berordn

Best way to handle that would be making world-exclusive party members purely additive (e.g. Sora + Donald + Goofy + Simba) instead of forcing you to dismiss either Donald or Goofy for them.

kh3 plot will be about every party member ever getting keyblades and they'll all follow you to every world and everything will be great

you'll see

I'd agree with this. In KH1 they actually felt like suitable replacements, at least early on (Tarzan is pretty good). In KH2, they don't.

kh3 plot will be about every party member ever getting keyblades and they'll all follow you to every world and everything will be great

you'll see

kingdom hearts 3 will contain absolutely no disney worlds or content because based nomura will have forgotten about them
I'd agree with this. In KH1 they actually felt like suitable replacements, at least early on (Tarzan is pretty good). In KH2, they don't.
Ehhh, that's hard to say. In both KH1 and KH2, early-on Disney guest characters are way better than Donald and Goofy because they've got full sets of abilities (and because they don't constantly die like Donald). In late KH1, sure, guest characters are totally useless because Donald and Goofy have totally surpassed them. In late KH2, guest characters are still fairly alright outside of their limited weapon/armor/accessory slots because, as it turns out, Donald and Goofy don't learn that many abilities either.

Gimme a KH2 character who can dish out damage and cure me and they'll probably surpass Donald, lol.

There's a few in II that are decent enough (Well okay, only Jack Skellington and Tron), but yeah KH1 Party Members > KH2 Party Members.

Any game that can make freaking Ariel a stun-locking Heartless slaying goddess is definitely on the right track.

There's a few in II that are decent enough (Well okay, only Jack Skellington and Tron), but yeah KH1 Party Members > KH2 Party Members.

Any game that can make freaking Ariel a stun-locking Heartless slaying goddess is definitely on the right track.

It's true that, to counter my previous argument, KH1 support characters (including Donald) actually get benefits from it when you upgrade Thunder to Thundaga, Gravity to Graviga, et cetera, whereas in KH2, lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh really?? Never played it.

Also, does anyone have access to which order the games go in? I always forget and can't find it ATM (starting with KH1?).

Release order. Always release order.
For reference that's
KH (FM)
Chain of Memories (remake)
KHII (FM)
358/2 Days
Birth by Sleep (FM)
Coded (remake)
Dream Drop Distance

Or did you mean chronologically? Cause Afrocious has you covered there.

iosefe

play em in ReMIX Release Order.

they did it that way for a reason.

Days before KH2, so make the opening of KH2 more meaningful

desmax

Just arrived at the World that never was, and boy
Roxas completely eviscerated me.
Gotta need some more levels before tackling it.

So anyway, what's the best method to level up the forms? Probably going to need Glide to tackle that battle, from what I've seen

iosefe

So anyway, what's the best method to level up the forms? Probably going to need Glide to tackle that battle, from what I've seen

Bizkit has you covered

I was able to do just fine with dodge roll and quick run.

Heres a video on how to level up the forms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ZZfpA1a4U

I love that Roxas is the new wake up call boss for people.
Honestly, it was Xaldin for me.

BatDan

I'm still waiting for DSP to get to one of the Organization bosses, he is going to die soooooo much.
The TIHYDP video is going to be glorious.

Finalow

finished with Sephiroth, that moronic ending was somehow funny. it reminded me of this DMC part, lol.

I'll probably just go for 99 and LW then I'm done with it, not sure if I want to grind all the drive forms to unlock the last cup. and I'll probably skip the XIII data battles too, although I did watch that Bizkit guide video, it was interesting to see the insight of a speedrunner.

Afrocious

finished with Sephiroth, that moronic ending was somehow funny. it reminded me of this DMC part, lol.

I'll probably just go for 99 and LW then I'm done with it, not sure if I want to grind all the drive forms to unlock the last cup. and I'll probably skip the XIII data battles too, although I did watch that Blitz guide video, it was interesting to see the insight of a speedrunner.

If you're going to get to 99 and fight Lingering Will, you may as well do the things you say you might skip. Those two things are more tedious than anything else aside from synthesizing.

How do the gummi missions in this compare to KH1's platinum requirements? The gummi stuff is the last thing I have to do before I get the plat in KH2. Would you all say its easier, or harder?

I assumed the shitty party members of KH2 were more a result of the modification to the combat. The game focuses so much on combos and giving you crazy abilities that everyone else is kind of worthless since they seem to be limited to single hits and chip damage. Not to mention the bosses (Org XIII) in particular move and attack in ways that the AI is simply not able to handle. KH1 bosses are much slower except for Riku and Mysterious Figure or whatever (I never fought him).

It's true that, to counter my previous argument, KH1 support characters (including Donald) actually get benefits from it when you upgrade Thunder to Thundaga, Gravity to Graviga, et cetera, whereas in KH2, lol

In KH1, Donald is basically the worst until the second half of the game and even then he isn't the best until you hit, oh, Hollow Bastion? Pretty much once you get all the magic upgraded, Donald is great. In KH2, Donald becomes useful and competent fairly early by comparison. Problem is that both Donald and Goofy only learn a small amount of skills. A little thing that's always bugged me is the lack of full party customization in terms of making builds. You pick Sora's build straightaway at the Station, but Goofy and Donald get the same skills and stat boosts regardless.

Or do they?

BatDan

I bet he's going to attempt Larxene the next time he plays. I imagine it will be hilarious.

Yes!
"WHAAAT? I died in two hits?! Come awn maaaan. This is stoopid!"

I'm not even going to entertain the thought that he'll even find the Lingering Will.

Kinsei

Banned
Yes!
"WHAAAT? I died in two hits?! Come awn maaaan. This is stoopid!"

I'm not even going to entertain the thought that he'll even find the Lingering Will.

Her opening attack isn't a one hit kill on standard? Damn, I was looking forward to him rushing in and dying instantly.

BatDan

Her opening attack isn't a one hit kill on standard? Damn, I was looking forward to him rushing in and dying instantly.

This was my first time playing FM, I played on Standard because I have no confidence in my skills. Went into AS Larxene blind. She killed me in two hits. I sat there for a few seconds trying to figure out what happened. Then I moved on and came back at a higher level.

Captcha

On the topic of input delays, I'm almost certain there are some. As was pointed out, it is extremely obvious on the Ice Cream Beat minigame. I had to consciously give myself a halfsecond delay before I hit any buttons to get the beat right most of the time.

jrush64

Banned
Holy crap I hate Atlantica. Both in KH1 and KH2.

I'm going through KH1 on Proud Mode. I wanted to ask, in this HD version. What do I gain from finishing 100 Acre Wood?

Eblo

Man, Sephiroth is a complete joke if you're used to BBS's final bosses. I also managed to take down the Lingering Will, which wasn't too bad considering I was at level 99. I just wish Sora's crown could by toggled on and off. Mushroom VIII is complete, absolute ass. After I scrape by that one on luck, it's onto the data battles!

Zaverious

Yeah the input delay in Birth by Sleep is pretty bad in a couple spots. It is very noticeable in the Ice Cream Beat minigame and when I am climbing up from a ledge.

Edit: Sound delays as well.

Holy crap I hate Atlantica. Both in KH1 and KH2.

I'm going through KH1 on Proud Mode. I wanted to ask, in this HD version. What do I gain from finishing 100 Acre Wood?

Sick shit. Plus, you want to do it in order to get high scores in every activity. It gives you Sora's Cheer, which you'll want for farming items. Keep Bambi out longer.

I know you get plenty of Boosts (AP, Power, Defense, Magic) and Naturespark (Bambi Summon). You also get Orichalcum, and locking its keyhole is required to get the secret ending (not sure if necessary on Proud).

Not sure what else you get. It's been awhile.

Is there really no way to turn of subtitles? It's so weird. Japan has such odd habbits in their games...
You mean chronologically?

BBS > KH1 > First half of days > Chain of Memories > Second half of Days > KH2 > Re:Coded > 3D

Release order. Always release order.
For reference that's
KH (FM)
Chain of Memories (remake)
KHII (FM)
358/2 Days
Birth by Sleep (FM)
Coded (remake)
Dream Drop Distance

Or did you mean chronologically? Cause Afrocious has you covered there.
Thanks! They both work.

I never finished chain of memories... Maybe I should. Is BBS any good? Hows the remake?

Meowster

The World That Never Was spoilers:
Roxas was so hella hard. Good god. I happened to get lucky and dodged his combos and got about a bar or so of health snagged off of him and then stole his key blades and had a much easier time. It took me about twenty times.

What am I doing wrong with Xigbar? I haven't had any issues with him before but I also haven't played it in half a decade. I get him to about two bars and I get stuck into that small square where he unleashes this unavoidable barrage. I managed to get around it the first time he used it but the second wiped me out. It keeps happening. Reflect works okay but I can only spam it so long before a stray dart hits me and I'm screwed.

Top Bottom