• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III E3 2017 Trailer, new world and trailer coming at D23 July 15th

Jeels

Not liking the character models or all the flash and large empty environments either.

I never thought I'd say I might skip a kingdom hearts game. 0.2 was incredibly disappointing for me.

MilkBeard

Just watched the trailer. Yup, the game does seem like it is pretty far along in development. Perhaps we will really be able to tell with the new trailer next month.

nickgia

I've accepted the fact that KH3 will most likely have empty environments like 2. I just hope the combat is more like 2 and not like BBS or DDD.

Mcdohl

Just watched the trailer. Yup, the game does seem like it is pretty far along in development. Perhaps we will really be able to tell with the new trailer next month.

No? It's all from the same world.

And only until next month we will get a glimpse of another world.

If we go by FF VsXIII/XV standards, then I am sad to inform you that all that SE shows is actually all they have so far.

There is no grandiose thing under the covers.

Ray Down

Banned
I've accepted the fact that KH3 will most likely have empty environments like 2. I just hope the combat is more like 2 and not like BBS or DDD.

Envrioments generally speaking have become boring since 1.

It's clear the combat is mixing bits and pieces from all those games.

Wonder how it will all come together though.

If we go by FF VsXIII/XV standards, then I am sad to inform you that all that SE shows is actually all they have so far.

Flashbacks of seeing the duscae region for 3 years straight lol
With small peaks of other areas(only small peaks)

nickgia

Having empty environments in places like San Francistokyo would be an incredibly baffling decision.
I was playing 2.5 yesterday and there's a part where Aladdin says something to the effect of "I need the busy city life" or something like that as the camera shows an empty Agrabah environment. I should've taken a picture.

Are you guys still expecting people to be out and about in these worlds, lol.
Not a chance which makes you wonder why included San Fran of all places that's a nightmare you can get away with it a bit in Olympus and tangled(unless the town is included here)

They never even give a half ass excuse like the arkham games either

Talax

Flashbacks of seeing the duscae region for 3 years straight lol
With small peaks of other areas(only small peaks)

I mean truth be told, in the end it turned out there wasn't much other than Duscae anyway. :p

I love the particle effects going on, especially when that ball of light starts raining

Kurumi

I was playing 2.5 yesterday and there's a part where Aladdin says something to the effect of "I need the busy city life" or something like that as the camera shows an empty Agrabah environment. I should've taken a picture.

I always found it funny that you're at Olympus Coliseum. Cutscenes play and you hear cheering but as you can clearly see no one is in the stands.

Who is cheering for Hercules? Ghosts?

Prompto

Banned
Same with hearing cheers and applause in a completely empty arena in Olympus Coliseum.

Lnds500

I fell in love with the animation here.

WOihbSU.gif

nickgia

I always found it funny that you're at Olympus Coliseum. Cutscenes play and you hear cheering but as you can clearly see no one is in the stands.

Who is cheering for Hercules? Ghosts?

Who's he even waving at after the match? Why is he upset that hades put the "crowd" in danger?

Trailer is amazing. The more I see of the game, the less hope I have for it being BBS on a grander scale in terms of having Riku and Kairi playable. Even though they are analogous to Terra, Ven and Aqua this very much feels like Sora's the star of the show here. Combats seems varied enough that it probably won't be an issue for me.

Trailer is amazing. The more I see of the game, the less hope I have for it being BBS on a grander scale in terms of having Riku and Kairi playable. Even though they are analogous to Terra, Ven and Aqua this very much feels like Sora's the star of the show here. Combats seems varied enough that it probably won't be an issue for me.
They have to switch at some point it'll be the biggest let down in all of the series. This is 3 baby a conclusion to a saga. Riku at the very least has to be playable in some form. And I know ppl will blow a gasket for kairi too

MilkBeard

Whatever you say. I was just echoing some of the comments on the first page. What they showed looks pretty polished.

No need to talk down here, I was waiting and watching all footage of FF XV for those years. I'm not impatient, and I'm not that anxious for this game. What I meant was, the footage looks pretty solid, like some progress has been made.

Although, the only issue I saw was that the combat scenes were always cut into really short bursts. I wonder if this was to hide anything. It did seem like the camera was too close or would be a bit difficult or unwieldy.

Ray Down

Banned
That was to be expected imo.

Riku may have a "playable" bit like in 2.

They will just end up like Herc as a 4th party member.

Though I expect Kairi to be useless or be a damsel.

Gbraga

I do agree that the gameplay looked a bit weird.

KH has always been floaty, but this seems to take it a step further, and it's a bit too much. I went back and watched a few 2.5 videos to see if it was just my memory playing tricks on me, since I never played the remasters, even on PS3, but that wasn't the case. II has much better feedback, you can feel the impact through the animations and sounds a lot better than in this video, and the hitboxes look tighter, in this video the moves are so wide, nothing feels like it connects, I went back to check if that punch special move killed more enemies because the feedback was so poor.

Was 0.2 like that as well, or is this just because the game is still early in production?

That was to be expected imo.

Riku may have a "playable" bit like in 2.

They will just end up like Herc as a 4th party member.

Though I expect Kairi to be useless or be a damsel.
That may be a bit harsh on Kairi but I don't think her training up to this point will be enough to justify having her playable. Certainly nowhere close to Aqua. Can't see her pulling off all those crazy moves unless a good amount of time has passed. Given how 0.2 ended, I doubt that'll be the case.

A thought just occurred to me: We see something actually plot-relevant happen in a Disney world. Perhaps the plot will be more like KH1 than how fillery it was in KH2?

That may be a bit harsh on Kairi but I don't think her training up to this point will be enough to justify having her playable. Certainly nowhere close to Aqua. Can't see her pulling off all those crazy moves unless a good amount of time has passed. Given how 0.2 ended, I doubt that'll be the case.
Well it's a good thing they're training in kingdom hearts version of the hyperbolic time chamber

Ydelnae

That may be a bit harsh on Kairuu but I don't think her training up to this point will be enough to justify having her playable. Certainly nowhere close to Aqua. Can't see her pulling off all those crazy moves unless a good amount of time has passed. Given how 0.2 ended, I doubt that'll be the case.

Kairi and Lea are training in a room in which time doesn't flow, like the characters in Dragon Ball Z. It was confirmed in the prologue scene narrated at one of the last Tokyo concerts.

A thought just occurred to me: We see something actually plot-relevant happen in a Disney world. Perhaps the plot will be more like KH1 than how fillery it was in KH2?

Yep, Nomura also said Disney properties are back at being important to the overall plot by popular demand. The fact that Sora is training in Olympus and not in a KH original world is pretty telling.

MilkBeard

Did we watch the same trailer lol? The entire thing took place in one area.

No. So what if it took place in one area? They are keeping the others under wraps for now. It's better they show what they have in the best form, otherwise we'd have an FF XV situation where everything they show is unpolished and rough and not the final and people freak out.

Lnds500

They have said that they will at least try to make the worlds less filler-y and develop meaningful stories. Big Hero 6, which is set after the movie and shows the dark Baymax is exactly that.

MOANA BABY

Ray Down

Banned
Kairi is a character that the story tells us that she will be super important and will actually do something, but in the end just doesn't.

Like many bad female characters in shonen like Sakura or Orihime.

Trust me when I say I want to be wrong but I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't know if it was mentioned or not but the most surprising thing is the fact that the Xbox one still shows up as one of the things it's coming out for. I know how much some people were trying their hardest to convience that it would be canceled for it.

To the game itself, it looks fun and like an upgraded character action version of kh2. Hopefully a date gets announced soon.

MilkBeard

Some of you guys are ridiculous. You see a trailer and instantly hope that it comes out next year. It's like you guys haven't learned what SE is capable of.

I'd say holiday 2018 is a logical expectation. Maybe early 2019 for being cautious. That is, unless things are fucked up behind the scenes. But ever since the switch to UE4, there hasn't been any indication of this.

Skittles

I do agree that the gameplay looked a bit weird.

KH has always been floaty, but this seems to take it a step further, and it's a bit too much. I went back and watched a few 2.5 videos to see if it was just my memory playing tricks on me, since I never played the remasters, even on PS3, but that wasn't the case. II has much better feedback, you can feel the impact through the animations and sounds a lot better than in this video, and the hitboxes look tighter, in this video the moves are so wide, nothing feels like it connects, I went back to check if that punch special move killed more enemies because the feedback was so poor.

Was 0.2 like that as well, or is this just because the game is still early in production?
Well, the game is still a year and a half off at this point. They probably haven't gotten to fine tuning the combat yet. For example, the aerial finisher for single targets is kind of buggy and doesn't vaccum/pull sora towards the enemy he's hitting like in the second game. Plus you won't notice the impact of some hits because of the sound mixing in the trailer (the song overpowers most everything else)

What gets me hype is that magic shortcuts seem to have some sort of "page" system. So you can have multiple sets of magic shortcuts. This will make magic a lot easier to use.

Gbraga

Well, the game is still a year and a half off at this point. They probably haven't gotten to fine tuning the combat yet. For example, the aerial finisher for single targets is kind of buggy and doesn't vaccum/pull sora towards the enemy he's hitting like in the second game. Plus you won't notice the impact of some hits because of the sound mixing in the trailer (the song overpowers most everything else)

What gets me hype is that magic shortcuts seem to have some sort of "page" system. So you can have multiple sets of magic shortcuts. This will make magic a lot easier to use.

Yeah, makes sense.

Ydelnae

Wut? Is this serious?

I had no idea about this.

Full transcript of the scene:
Kairi:

I didn't notify you but you might've already heard from Yen Sid-sama.
I've come to train to become a Keyblade wielder.
Until now, I've only been waiting for you guys to come back from your journey.
Maybe with this I can at least help out a little.

The magician Merlin-sama can use magic that surpasses time.
Here, we can forget about the flow of time.
Isn't it great?

Lea's training with me.
He apologized to me over and over again.
It's alright,
I'd say,
But he'd keep on apologizing...

At first I was a bit scared but
As we trained together we started talking to each other.
I found out Lea also has a best friend he wants to save.
I felt like, he's not a person that I can bring myself to hate...

Sometimes..... He'd stare at my face
So I'd ask him, what's wrong?
"I don't know, but I feel like it's something I must recall", He'd say...

Your journey is a journey that will help many people
and the people you'll meet from now on
I have a feeling these people you meet will also need your help

The journey might be hard but
Please stay as the cheerful and bright Sora I know
Because your smile, will save many hearts.....

Nomura said that since this scene happens during the first steps of KH3's story, they didn't have any ingame visuals yet, so they just made the VA read these lines while generic pictures were displayed.

Top Bottom