• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts New Title to be Announced at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Plywood said:
There is no Sonic cycle for KH though.
It's a little different, it starts off mocking the stupid titles, Nomura for taking on too much, then everyone fighting to fellate him once they play it.

Yoshiya

Bel Marduk said:
Well examiner has a new article on the interview.

So the next two KH games will be for DS and PSP?

I'd say one for DS or PSP and one for PSP2 or 3DS. Still, who would of guessed after KH2 they would release FIVE handheld games before KH3. Somehow, Square have managed to make the KH series structure more senseless than the KH fiction, a feat I thought impossible.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
StuBurns said:
It's a little different, it starts off mocking the stupid titles, Nomura for taking on too much, then everyone fighting to fellate him once they play it.
Only a genius such as Nomura-sama could come up with wonderful titles like 358/2 Days.
omg rite said:
I see what you did there. See, you mixed his name with douche. That's ... witty?
We can't all be Nomura-sama. But when I have those sparks of creativity, I just have to share.

duckroll

Regulus Tera said:
This thread got weird waaaaaaaaaay fast.

Alternatively, Kingdom Hearts fans are the Sonic fans of Squeenix.

I'm insulted, and now you're on my shit list. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Plywood said:
Only a genius such as Nomura-sama could come up with wonderful titles like 358/2 Days.

We can't all be Nomura-sama. But when I have those sparks of creativity, I just have to share.

Kingdom Hearts: Wit by Retort / 2 Games

duckroll said:

I'm insulted, and now you're on my shit list. :(

Find me a more reasonable explanation and I'll reconsider my position!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why all this teasing and ridiculous side story, just make a new console one and bring the story back to it's roots.

Yoshiya

cw_sasuke said:
That would be Nerkas i guess.

It's not that either. Square's E3 'surprise' list is looking like KH, Nerkas (or mindhack?), Project X (Square + Obsidian?) and Dungeon Seige 3.

Edit: duckrolled!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
duckroll said:
I think they said it wasn't Nerkas. Maybe S-E really has a BUNCH of announcements this E3... :lol
Yes, they will announce at E3 with only a slide show presentation and then actually show at TGS.

In a closed theater.

With ninjas.

No cellphone cam's will survive.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So since Phil Snyder's first work as Cricket was Kingdom Hearts Recoded, and his web page has a picture of his first recording session as Cricket, doesn't that mean this is possibly a picture of Kingdom Hearts Recoded in the background?

2e5m6qg.jpg

duckroll

Yoshiya said:
It's not that either. Square's E3 'surprise' list is looking like KH, Nerkas (or mindhack?), Project X (Square + Obsidian?) and Dungeon Seige 3.

Edit: duckrolled!

The Third Birthday pretty much has to be at E3 if they want to release it this year. And Wada said it's definitely coming out this year...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Red Scarlet said:
So is this the *omg shock* title that was being hinted at?

It's not Western enough.

Wait...

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
So since Phil Snyder's first work as Cricket was Kingdom Hearts Recoded, and his web page has a picture of his first recording session as Cricket, doesn't that mean this is possibly a picture of Kingdom Hearts Recoded in the background?

Doesn't mean anything though. The cutscenes for Coded were pre-recorded movies rendered from the KH engine (like how they did CoM on GBA, and 358/2 Days on DS). That screen looks exactly like what it looks like in Coded itself, so you can't really tell anything from that.

grandjedi6

duckroll said:
Doesn't mean anything though. The cutscenes for Coded were pre-recorded movies rendered from the KH engine (like how they did CoM on GBA, and 358/2 Days on DS). That screen looks exactly like what it looks like in Coded itself, so you can't really tell anything from that.
Damn. And let me guess: Was the bulk of the voice acting located within those pre-recorded movies?

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
Damn. And let me guess: Was the bulk of the voice acting located within those pre-recorded movies?

Bulk? More like all. I mean it's not surprising, since normal KH games are the same thing. The comic bubble lines are never voiced, but the cutscenes are.

grandjedi6

duckroll said:
Bulk? More like all. I mean it's not surprising, since normal KH games are the same thing. The comic bubble lines are never voiced, but the cutscenes are.
So the voice team didn't see Recoded or Coded as Square probably just sent them a file of the FMVs and the script. Well, it was worth a thought I suppose.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
The Third Birthday pretty much has to be at E3 if they want to release it this year. And Wada said it's definitely coming out this year...

Wada likes to say things though.

Two more handheld spin-offs? Seriously?

If one of them is Coded on PSP that's not terrible, but goddamn, I love KH as much as... well, not the next guy (since NeoGAF seems to hate it), but you get the idea. And I'm ready for them to push forward with the series. HD, Wii, whatever, just a true KH3.

What loose ends are there to resolve? Do we really need to know what Riku and Mickey were doing during KH1 or whatever?

It's madness!

duckroll

Aaron Strife said:
Two more handheld spin-offs? Seriously?

If one of them is Coded on PSP that's not terrible, but goddamn, I love KH as much as... well, not the next guy (since NeoGAF seems to hate it), but you get the idea. And I'm ready for them to push forward with the series. HD, Wii, whatever, just a true KH3.

What loose ends are there to resolve? Do we really need to know what Riku and Mickey were doing during KH1 or whatever?

It's madness!

Who cares as long as they're fun? I really find it hard to believe that anyone actually plays KH games solely to find out what happens next to Sora.

It's unbelievable to me not because I feel the story is contrived and badly written (which I do), but because the people I know who actually do LIKE the KH storyline, care about the worldview and characters in general. So whether a game is a spinoff or a sequel or a prequel, if the story expands on stuff they care about, it's a good thing.

On the other hand, if you don't play the games for the storyline, but for the Disney cross overs and the gameplay, then every game has something new to offer, regardless if it is a "spinoff" or not. So either way, every new KH game is offering something new and different for the different fans of the series. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

duckroll said:
Who cares as long as they're fun? I really find it hard to believe that anyone actually plays KH games solely to find out what happens next to Sora.

It's unbelievable to me not because I feel the story is contrived and badly written (which I do), but because the people I know who actually do LIKE the KH storyline, care about the worldview and characters in general. So whether a game is a spinoff or a sequel or a prequel, if the story expands on stuff they care about, it's a good thing.

On the other hand, if you don't play the games for the storyline, but for the Disney cross overs and the gameplay, then every game has something new to offer, regardless if it is a "spinoff" or not. So either way, every new KH game is offering something new and different for the different fans of the series. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
I'm not saying spin-offs are necessarily bad - I loved 358/2 Days and Chain of Memories. Still, it sort of feels like they need to, you know, get on with it.

duckroll

Aaron Strife said:
I'm not saying spin-offs are necessarily bad - I loved 358/2 Days and Chain of Memories. Still, it sort of feels like they need to, you know, get on with it.

Get "on" with what exactly though?

Yoshiya

duckroll said:

Mainline entries of the series. This really comes down to cultural difference between the west and Japan, with Japan being far more receptive to portable gaming.

duckroll

Yoshiya said:
Mainline entries of the series. This really comes down to cultural difference between the west and Japan, with Japan being far more receptive to portable gaming.

Huh. So does that mean Re:CoM is a mainline entry because it's on console?

duckroll said:
On the other hand, if you don't play the games for the storyline, but for the Disney cross overs and the gameplay, then every game has something new to offer,

Honestly speaking I doubt anyone these days plays them mostly for the quoted anyway.

duckroll said:

Sounds like displeasure with the handheld only focus, although it should be noted to everyone they are quite the money makers.

duckroll said:
You'll be surprised... :p

Yes I know people personally that play them for the plot. At that point I have blank expression on my face as I have them try to even attempt its explanation post part 1. Yes this is indeed how I get my kicks off with some die hard fans.

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:
Yes I know people personally that play them for the plot. At that point I have blank expression on my face as I have them try to even attempt its explanation post part 1. Yes this is indeed how I get my kicks off with some die hard fans.

I think KH fans are very, very diverse. There are Disney fans, FF fans, action RPG fans, JRPG fans, contrived story fans, and lastly but most significantly - horny fangirls who love homosexual slash fiction.

Very diverse fanbase.

duckroll said:
The plot, I suppose. Especially how a big epic KH3 was teased by both KH2 and Birth by Sleep, and now more side stories are planned. There hasn't been a Sora-based game since 2005. (not counting Coded. that's a virtual Sora anyway)

Maybe the pain will ease once BBS is released in America.

And yes, the KH story is contrived bullshit. That's just how I am. If I became attached to a work-in-progress, I will see it to the end regardless of how badly it deteriorates.

Hmm.

I wonder where this will be in E3.

If its not exclusive, i imagine SE saving it for their presser finale, but if its exclusive, at one of the big three. Handheld, back at the SE conference.

duckroll

Aaron Strife said:
The plot, I suppose. Especially how a big epic KH3 was teased by both KH2 and Birth by Sleep, and now more side stories are planned. There hasn't been a Sora-based game since 2005. (not counting Coded. that's a virtual Sora anyway)

Maybe the pain will ease once BBS is released in America.

And yes, the KH story is contrived bullshit. That's just how I am. If I became attached to a work-in-progress, I will see it to the end regardless of how badly it deteriorates.

I guess part of my confusion is: do you consider BbS to be a way of getting on with it? Because it's a completely original story, with brand new worlds, villains, etc. While CoM and 358 Days were "reused content" spin offs, BbS is a prequel that is a completely original game - much like MGS3 was.

If you do consider that BbS is "acceptable" as the next KH game, then I don't see why you would complain about 2 new projects, when one of them is by the team that made BbS. Without any announcement being made, there is no way to tell if it will be a spin off, or if it will be a new entry in the KH series proper. Nomura considers BbS a full entry. There could well be another full entry before a "KH3".

ZealousD said:
As a GameStop employee myself, I can tell you that most conversations I have with customers about KH3 assume its a PS3 exclusive. In fact, I've even had one customer tell that they bought a PS3 specifically for KH3.

People are stupid. It's just how the world is.

Hey, I bought a PS3 just for.....oh wait that was Zone of Ender 3 :D

But as a fellow GS employee you can appreciate that I still have customers that believe Birth By Sleep is KH3 for PS3; ignoring all of the instore signage stating its for the PSP.

EDIT: The rest think that Re-Chained was KH3

Sai-kun said:
hey boys can like homosexual slash fiction too :(

I want KH3 :(

If KH3 was made for PS3, I would buy a PS3 immediately. That, or Twisted Metal PS3. Those are the only two games that would make me buy a PS3. :lol

duckroll said:
I never said it's not possible, it's just a smaller and less significant group compared to the females.

I remember a few years ago, over on the Facepunch forums, there was some guy who was modeling Sora/Roxas for Gmod...and this kid was like, 13 or so. Models were perfectly fine up until he slapped some 12+ dicks on them. Everyone just flipped out and he just went on and on about how sexy they were. The sad thing is, I had talked to him before he showed anyone these, because I had also been doing some models from KH for Gmod(keyblades and other weapons, mainly), and just out of nowhere..dicks. It was hilarious and horrible at the same time. :lol

Owzers

All i want is Kingdom Hearts 3 for HD consoles. I'd settle for it to be on Wii. They just keep making handheld spinoffs and ports though....and Kindgom Hearts 2 kinda sucked so spinoffs to that aren't exactly desirable. They need to get back to a heavy focus on the worlds and not the emo characters.

syoaran

Going to go with KH:Recoded for the 3DS within the "launch window" of the console. Nintendo needs to start strong with the new console and gain a lot of traction on it before Sony release a counter in Japan and this would qualify for it here.

Then again, wasnt the DS KH game selling quite poorly? Went almost straight to bargain price here in the UK.

Ah - and when I say Launch Window, it's within 6 months of the launch of the machine, so spring next year.

Either that, or somehow they managed to keep the remake of Coded a secret and its been pegged onto the western release of KH bbs.

syoaran said:
Going to go with KH:Recoded for the 3DS within the "launch window" of the console. Nintendo needs to start strong with the new console and gain a lot of traction on it before Sony release a counter in Japan and this would qualify for it here.

Then again, wasnt the DS KH game selling quite poorly? Went almost straight to bargain price here in the UK.

Ah - and when I say Launch Window, it's within 6 months of the launch of the machine, so spring next year.

Either that, or somehow they managed to keep the remake of Coded a secret and its been pegged onto the western release of KH bbs.

Not at all. It did well in Japan and in NPD. KH isn't all that huge in EU though.

Edit: It sold 540k in JP, 750k in NA, and 200k in EU according to SE's last financial report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom