• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom of Paradise : Help me I suck

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think I'm not getting something about the combat system in KoP.

I do fine against grunts, but when it comes to boss battles I just die like crazy.

According to the manual, holding down circle(attack) blocks. I hold it down, and I still get my ass beat, but it eventually blocks like the last blow in the enemy's combo... even if I try to time the button press with the initial attack, or hold it before the enemy attacks.

Is that the only way to block?

So, the only way I found to kill the first boss is to run away, charge my one CHI power, then run over to him, release it, stunning him for a second, then get in 3 blows. Then I'd run away and repeat the same thing over and over.

There has to be something I'm missing. I got to the second boss (the two guys), and this strategy isn't working.

What am I missing?

You're not missing much. KoP is really, really shit from the get-go.

If I'm not mistaken it seems that with higher levels, your blocking skill increases; or maybe it's just that now I have enough health that it isn't such an immediate hassle. Granted, some big titty bitch from the fire clan tore me a new asshole the other day. ZOMG! SPOILRZ! :p

So far I've found the best option to be comboing into a magical attack, hope it knocks the foe down or back, charge again - repeat.

I was honestly expecting more from this game. I'm pretty let down. :(

Haha - it's a trucker's orangutan sidekick, and your nick is close to the name of a chain of trucker stores -- TWO DEGREES OF KoP SEPARATION! :p

Good luck man. I would not fault anybody for trading this game in. It's really rough around the edges and I'm only sticking with it because I'm stubborn and masochistic.

If they fix the combat, add a better world map / interface, and give me a proper 3D world to explore and not just a path to run along - the sequel could be really hot.

Yeah really, whoever thought that putting block and attack on the same button was a good idea needs to be kicked in the balls.

Eric_S

FlyinJ said:
So, the only way I found to kill the first boss is to run away, charge my one CHI power, then run over to him, release it, stunning him for a second, then get in 3 blows. Then I'd run away and repeat the same thing over and over.

There has to be something I'm missing. I got to the second boss (the two guys), and this strategy isn't working.

What am I missing?

You're not cheap enough ;)

Just run like a little girl and hit him with your Chi (make shure you've boosted your Chi to L-3) when possible, and use a bomb from time to time if you'd like. It might not be the most fun way to kill bosses, but it's very very effective.

Thogh when it comes to those two, you should be able to wait out his attacks (the big guy atleast) and then hit him with a couple of blows.

Starfire

First boss for me was just circling the guy and getting behind him then using physical attacks. After a few combos he fell down, and that gave me enough time to reposition myself and do it again. Sometimes you have to shift your position slightly to keep him from interrupting your combos. Using chi arts on him is probably the most effective way, but if you're low on chi points he's still pretty easy to beat that way. If he starts to attack, just hold the attack button and you'll block: while you'll still take damage, if you block early enough, it won't be as much. Blocking takes awhile to get used to, but you get used to it after awhile. I was also using San Uan technique IIRC when I beat him. It worked easier on bosses for me, even though you only start out with a relatively small amount of Bugei for it.

Later on in the game
when you get a freestyle scroll and more Bugei
it's just a matter of chaining together long combos and getting out of the way at the right time.

Also there are two items later on
one that slowly recharges HP and one that recharges chi
and both of those and both of those are pretty helpfull, although to get them early in the game, you'd probably have to spend quite a bit of time in combat collecting money as they're fairly expensive.

I haevn't played the game the same way as everyone else though, I barely used chi the entire time, didn't really need them that much except one boss in particular.

Mook1e

Starfire said:
First boss for me was just circling the guy and getting behind him then using physical attacks. After a few combos he fell down, and that gave me enough time to reposition myself and do it again. Sometimes you have to shift your position slightly to keep him from interrupting your combos. Using chi arts on him is probably the most effective way, but if you're low on chi points he's still pretty easy to beat that way. If he starts to attack, just hold the attack button and you'll block: while you'll still take damage, if you block early enough, it won't be as much. Blocking takes awhile to get used to, but you get used to it after awhile. I was also using San Uan technique IIRC when I beat him. It worked easier on bosses for me, even though you only start out with a relatively small amount of Bugei for it.

Later on in the game
when you get a freestyle scroll and more Bugei
it's just a matter of chaining together long combos and getting out of the way at the right time.

Also there are two items later on
one that slowly recharges HP and one that recharges chi
and both of those and both of those are pretty helpfull, although to get them early in the game, you'd probably have to spend quite a bit of time in combat collecting money as they're fairly expensive.

I haevn't played the game the same way as everyone else though, I barely used chi the entire time, didn't really need them that much except one boss in particular.
Did you like the game?

Starfire

Mook1e said:
Did you like the game?

All in all, I'd say it was pretty so-so. From what I'd read about it I came in expecting a fairly robust combat system and a sorta unique ARPG. What I left with was the feeling that the game had potential on paper, but in action it played out kinda dissapointing. Combat and running around the world was kinda fun for the first few hours, but it got kinda frustrating and repetitious after awhile. Also the story really goes nowhere, if story is the reason you play RPGs this game probably isn't for you.

The combat system was fun to tinker with and it wasn't a terrible game, but I can't really say that I'd recommend it unless you just want another game for your PSP, and even then there are probably better games out there.

I like Legend of Heroes better in all honesty, but that was mainly because it was more my type of game even if it didn't try to innovate as much as KoP does, and even that I felt like I've played a thousand times before.

I snagged that Chi recharge item last night and it blows. Doesn't recharge my chi nearly quick enough to be useful in combat - so I've opted to just spend that money on upgrading my sword instead.

THere's a good place to scum gold between your home town and the area next two it. With two big red scorpion things and four or so archers. You can get 500 for the monsters, and I forget how much for the archers - probably around 600 total. I just killed the monsters and ran back and forth re-loading the area. The archers are just a pain in the ass and totally not worth my time. :p

Top Bottom