• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV Trailer Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this too if
Cor is the general of Lucis, Glauca is the General of Niflhiem could be a possibly backstory
between these two as siblings.

So like FFXII's
Basch and Gabranth being brothers, one being the older member of the heroes party, the other being a fully armored warrior for the "evil empire"

I'm getting KH vibes

Just looks like a fancy looking sleeping quarters of a fantasy palace to me. Interesing window frame design, but I figured the bedrooms in "Final Fantasy" castles would look this. FFXV really is a meeting of modern and old fantasy. Some people find that kind of thing too jarring, but I'm in love with it. I love the idea of a modern world existing side-by-side with an older, fantastical one. It is something I wanted to see in a FF game for a long time, and this seems the closest in capturing what I've dreamed of. The only different is that my world also worked in classical fantasy races, like Elves, Dwarves and such, but other than that, it hits the nail on the headfor me.

The aesthetic of the city is yet the characters from Lucis look the same as those from Niflheim or Tenebrae.

And FFXV isn't the first game to take inspiration from real world locations. I know they point it out a lot, but it sounds good with the whole "realistic looking/Fantasy based on Reality" spiel. Square's been going on trips around the world for locations of inspiration for YEARS.

chozen

So like FFXII's
Basch and Gabranth being brothers, one being the older member of the heroes party, the other being a fully armored warrior for the "evil empire"

Could be, and boy all this Roen salt lol, I won't lie I wish Gladio would put his white shirt back on and also I wish that Prompto looked the same as he did in Versus, Noctis has improved imo, and Ignis is Ignis.

OmegaDL50

So this comes with the Collector's Edition eh.

I'll watch it then play the game. I hope they compliment each other well.

I just hope for those that not seeing Kingsglaive aren't left out of the loop on some details for some offscreen reference that would make sense if you saw Kingsglaive.

Sounds like how Kingdom Hearts got convoluted to be honest, where Game A references something from Game B, and game B has some element that isn't known until game C which refers to some event in Game A.

Nomura liked his complex and woven stuff. I'd think SE took care of most of kinds of loopholes when they shifted directorial control to Tabata along with the Anime and CGI movie coming out.

Tabata apparently said that FFXV isn't getting a sequel, so I hope everything is explained thoroughly, if we aren't getting a follow up game.

Koozek

So this comes with the Collector's Edition eh.

I'll watch it then play the game. I hope they compliment each other well.

I just hope for those that not seeing Kingsglaive aren't left out of the loop on some details for some offscreen reference that would make sense if you saw Kingsglaive.

Sounds like how Kingdom Hearts got convoluted to be honest, where Game A references something from Game B, and game B has some element that isn't known until game C which refers to some event in Game A.

Nomura liked his complex and woven stuff. I'd think Tabata took care of most of kinds of loopholes when he took directorial control with this Anime and CGI movie coming out.
Comes with the Deluxe Edition, too, which costs around 90€ instead of 200 something as the CE.

And no, Tabata ensured several times that the movie and the anime are only complementary and not necessary to understand all of the main game's story. They just want to reach different audiences and get them interested in the game. They've also rewritten and reworked Versus XIII into one single game when Tabata took over, instead of the multi-game saga that Nomura had in mind, making the story less convoluted. Plus, they removed the whole, obtuse Fabula Nova Crystallis/FFXIII-saga lore terminology to make it more understandable. Luckily, they seem pretty aware of the convoluted nature of recent FFs and are trying to avoid that.

jett

D-Member
So much scrapped/repurposed/etc. Can't have been cheap considering how many millions get spent on their normal trailers.

Maybe one day we'll know exactly how much this entire endeavor has cost this insane company. :p

Ha, perfect timing of Game Informer! New article is about modernizing the art of FFXV, with Prompto's redesign as an example:

An Inside Look At Modernizing The Art Of Final Fantasy/ Final Fantasy XV's Art Director On Shifting Away From Versus XIII

Prompto's face is a great adjustment. He looked like a strung out druggie, and he just had too much going on with his hair even by the standards of this game.

Speaking on the the relatively slight re-designs the characters went through, I really wish they had gone much further on that. All four look like they spend a ridiculous amount of time every morning messing around with hair product. They just look silly, and it's entirely unsurprising that some people wish for the more realistic characters of Kingslaive. I also can't get behind the idea that all of them dress in black.

FzOb.gif

Pre-beta vs Uncovered.

ffxvaskus610.jpg

Cg6WkL1WIAAl8kS.jpg:orig

Why would this people even give this ugly-ass old footage to Gameinformer. Has GI really been holding on to this feature for 6+ months?

Andromeda

Banned
Favorite designs?

1: Stella
2: Luna
3: Cidney
4: Noctis
5: Cor
6: Classic Regis

Stella was to me one of the most bland and forgettable designs I've seen on an FF girl, she just felt like a blonde Rinoa. I tried to like her but I never felt any attachment to her, in the end we only saw like five-six minutes of her across three designs, so when she was ultimately replaced with Luna I felt nothing. Gentiana however would probably be my favourite FFXV female design and we've only seen her in two still images, on CGI and one artwork.

OmegaDL50

I also can't get behind the idea that all of them dress in black

The all black clothing is a by product of apparently concept of the game that was toned down in the original premise.

As to quote Tabata on the statement.

Lucis was set as a country of Reaper worship. This setting is a violation of the age rating criteria for games in some countries, so we cannot push these theme. To replace these theme, we have a backbone setting of “black as a special colour.

The clothing worn by the four main characters is the official battle gear of the Kingdom of Lucis.

Noctis is a member of the royal family and the other three characters are parts of various Lucian national organisations and they are each wearing the specific battle dress relevant to their individual stations.

In the Kingdom of Lucis where our heroes reside, the colour black has historically been treated as a special colour. Because of this, the attire of the royal family and those in occupations closely tied to them are unified by having black as a base colouring. This part of the lore is the reason why the outfits of all four main characters are black. For the finished game we also intend on having their clothing having effects in battle and not just being a part of the world and its background.

The original Japanese transcript for these comments can be found here - https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/dis.../#Comment_8340

So there IS a thematically appropriate context for why the characters all wear black. Some may dislike this and want more variety, but considering the reason is woven into the lore itself, it is what it is.

Mediking

Stella was to me one of the most bland and forgettable designs I've seen on an FF girl, she just felt like a blonde Rinoa. I tried to like her but I never felt any attachment to her, in the end we only saw like five-six minutes of her across three designs, so when she was ultimately replaced with Luna I felt nothing. Gentiana however would probably be my favourite FFXV female design and we've only seen her in two still images, on CGI and one artwork.

I can't believe I forgot Genti..... I am ashamed....

And I think Stella is gorgeous. She got those bedroom blue eyes. Ahhhhh....

For the record, Luna is pretty and Cidney too.

The blue eyed bombshell Stella that could be a model, sir.

What if I told you.. Stella was just a concept.

So this isn't free?

Is Anime -> Movie -> Game the way to go?

Anime and movie is there to provide more characterization , context and insight. You won't be out of the loop if you skip them but it's all canon.

Anime is free on YouTube and the movie comes with the deluxe edition or you can buy it off psn at some point.

Koozek

So this isn't free?

Is Anime -> Movie -> Game the way to go?

Movie comes with the Deluxe and Collector's Edition. Anime will be free on YouTube, with one episode monthly starting in June, and it will also be in the Collector's Edition. The anime is just a bit of background to the main cast that focuses on their friendships. The movie is set before and during the main game and focuses on Regis and the events during the invasion of Noctis' home city. Tabata recently said that you could also watch them after having finished the game. In the end it's not integral to the game's main story and the movie's story probably ends after the first few chapters of the game if it's about the invasion of Insomnia and Regis' "death" which the party learns about pretty early in the game according to the Game Informer feature.

Philippo

Wait WHAT

I actually love that idea and hope it's true, some kind of post-credit scene with older King Noctis basically being Old Regis re-enacting the first VsXIII CGI cutscene, with him guarding the crystal from some enemies and then going back to sleep.
THE END.

I was initially disappointed too when it started to look like the Versus intro was no more. But now that we have Kingsglaive, I'm ok with it. I was mostly bummed with us possibly not seeing what happens in Insomnia in much detail, but with this movie I'll be satisfied with getting that epic intro, though details have changed. Even if it's not by us controlling Noctis through the invasion chaos, we still get to see shit going down.

Yeah sure Kingsglaive kinda toned down my saltiness, but actually being there and playing throughout the invasion would have been one of the GOAT opening sequences ever.

His old clothes were so much better :/

So much this.

Impressive, most impressive.

oti

Banned
What if I told you.. Stella was just a concept.

Anime and movie is there to provide more characterization , context and insight. You won't be out of the loop if you skip them but it's all canon.

Anime is free on YouTube and the movie comes with the deluxe edition or you can buy it off psn at some point.

Movie comes with the Deluxe and Collector's Edition. Anime will be free on YouTube, with one episode monthly starting in June, and it will also be in the Collector's Edition. The anime is just a bit of background to the main cast that focuses on their friendships. The movie is set before and during the main game. Tabata recently said that you could also watch them after having finished the game. In the end it's not integral to the game's main story and the movie's story probably ends after the first few chapters of the game if it's about the invasion of Insomnia and Regis' "death" which the party learns about pretty early in the game according to the Game Informer feature.

Nah, I want to see all that is to see here. I guess I'll watch the anime on YT before I play the game and the movie some time after. Not feeling pre-ordering any Special Edition right now tbh.

Whompa02

Oh god the Versus designs look so flat and outdated in that video compared to the final designs. I never even noticed it until that video. Really eye opening.

Samimista

Ha, perfect timing of Game Informer! New article is about modernizing the art of FFXV, with Prompto's redesign as an example:

It brings back so many memories seeing his original design from the Versus XIII days.

I don't mind his newer design, but I still prefer his older hairstyle. It looks more attractive.

wmlk

It's actually pretty awesome that we got Prompto's CG render of his Versus XIII design. I think this is ~2008 since the Stella and Noctis CG renders are very similar with the bare shoulders and just the rendering in general.

2008:

NoctisLucisCaelum-1.jpg

Cg6Y7DkUYAA044R.jpg:orig

2013:

2014 (Noctis looks the same as before):

For Prompto, I'd rank it as 2008 > 2014 >>> 2013. Noctis' newer design is so much better than any of his older designs, so I'm glad with what we're getting.

When lined up like this, Prompto's 2013 design looks like it has way too much going on.

Oh god the Versus designs look so flat and outdated in that video compared to the final designs. I never even noticed it until that video. Really eye opening.

Idk I think the versus costume designs are better when it comes to Ignis, Gladio and Prompto. However, I wouldn't had mind if at some point during the story the supporting cast rocks the whole black motif to highlight its wartime. But honestly I love it either way, prompto's skirt? it's a bit distracting at times to me.

Go_Ly_Dow

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Honestly, I think designs Kingsglaive-like designs for the main cast would net them another million or so in sales. It's obvious what looks more appealing to most Western gamers, which simply is the most relevant market for mainline FFs nowadays. Compare these two recent German magazine covers (over here basically every single FFXV news article is drowned in ridicule/criticism of the main cast's designs):

CgzaaZ5WIAAGCVy.jpg
Looks like they even de-westernized him further for this render. I analyzed what made his design a "westernized Japanese" design in an earlier thread - that extra bit of fantastical flair that their characters are known for was present in a very subdued way, but it seems like he's missing some of those elements here.

zgLI3Ax.png

RyoonZ

Banned
I'm really glad that use the CG stuff and make it into movie but I hope the game still have lots of CG cutscene. Yeah I know real time cutscene looks great etc etc but still hope it'll have like 20+ minutes worth of CG throughout the game. As it stands, I'm playing this game for the story and journey of Noctis' gang, the combat in both demo didnt grab me.

I realize everyone will never agree on West v East character design, but I'm glad Nyx isn't the main character of the game. I don't hate the way he looks, but the scruffy facial hair glower combo of this type of design always makes me cringe.

wmlk

I realize everyone will never agree on West v East character design, but I'm glad Nyx isn't the main character of the game. I don't hate the way he looks, but the scruffy facial hair glower combo of this type of design always makes me cringe.

His CG shot reminds me of the kinda guy who works really hard to get the perfect shot of himself. That's what his character reminds me of.

His CG shot reminds me of the kinda guy who works really hard to get the perfect shot of himself. That's what his character reminds me of.

Straight up. He's been growing out his facial hair for two months for his Tinder profile pic. Also, he works at a failing tech startup, and instead of eating normal foods he just drinks soylent.

sappyday

An Inside Look At Modernizing The Art Of Final Fantasy/ Final Fantasy XV's Art Director On Shifting Away From Versus XIII

Cg6S66EWMAILWRs.jpg

Cg6S6syWYAARBO3.jpg

Cg6S63DWkAEg_QV.jpg

Thanks to @Nova_Crystallis!

His old clothes were so much better :/

I swear to god we better those clothes in the game. Fucking Nomura and his Roen. I prefer old Prompto overall but if I can get one thing back it would be the clothes.

Socivol

What's cool is that they changed Ardyn the least because he has universal appeal. Ardyn is easily the best design in the game. Loved seeing more of him this week.

I think he looks weird from the movie clips but agree he is the most visually appealing character in the game to me thus far.

wmlk

Straight up. He's been growing out his facial hair for two months for his Tinder profile pic. Also, he works at a failing tech startup, and instead of eating normal foods he just drinks soylent.

LOL. I can actually relate (except for the soylent part).

EDIT: I should clarify lol. Not me, I know someone who's basically like this.

Socivol

Do we have any idea who this guy is? He looked similar to Regis to me but in the Kingsglaive trailer he is nowhere to be found. I wonder if he was cute too?

latest

I also wonder if Gentiana is going to be in the movie since they said she was Luna's attendant it would make sense for her to be there. Knowing now this was in the works since 2013 I have to wonder if the changes so many people groaned about were in the works under Nomura's watch or if he was taken off of the project much earlier than we all thought he was. If it take 30-100 hours to render one frame it just doesn't make financial sense for them to have started on this project and then recreated Regis' design.

Andromeda

Banned
I wonder if he was cute too?

Yes he is quite cute.

I see no reason to think he isn't in the game just because we didn't see him in the Kingsglaive trailer, it seems to me as though the Regis vs Iedolas scene in the movie is going to be slightly different to how it plays out visually in the game CG, that man was last seen in the Jump Festa 2015 trailer but so was Regis's old design, they'd most likely re-render that scene out with Regis's updated design for the game CG.

Given where that man was standing in relation to Regis, which was to his right, and his resemblance to Gladio, it implies that man is Regis's right hand man, aka one of the Royal Guards, which would mean he is from the family that Gladio is from, if he is then that would explain their resemblance, likely as father and son of the Amicitia family.

I think what happened was that in 2013 when Kingsglaive started they had the new Regis design and other movie designs done and did all the mocap, but they were only using them in the movie at the time, then around 2015 they decided to make game Regis look closer to movie Regis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom