• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV Trailer Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappyday

Noctis is still way better. I Nyx's design but I'm glad Noctis and co aren't appealing to western designs. Not everything has to.

Waxwing

My question is this: From a storytelling perspective, is this intended to be consumed before or after playing FFXV? That is, will it ruin any story reveals in the main game by revealing villains or making the viewer too familiar with other characters? Or was it written as a very helpful/nearly mandatory primer to XV?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The MC is so edgy it hurts.

No piercings, red color motif, or tattoos, and highly doubt there will be be any swearing in the movie beyond 'crap'. Probably some blood but no grotesque dismembering or anything like that.

Seems fine to me.

Here is an exclusive picture of Noctis from KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV

thum_06_l.jpg

JCreasy

It's only a few details, but they matter. He doesn't just look "western": Nyx looks like a western Final Fantasy character. It's that blend between aesthetics that's resonating with people, I think. It's the same reason the Resident Evil protagonists look so cool - they look overall "American" but have little details like Leon's bangs or Jill's campy beret that evoke the more stylized look common in Japanese media.

This.

Even further - I very much appreciate the reach at photorealism here. The experiment known has "3D CG Anime face" is over. We know what the results are. It's over-used and simultaneously uncompelling. I have so much respect for cg animators that look the uncanny valley argument in the face and say "fuck you" I'm going for it. Using advancements in technology to try and beat the uncanny valley is not only bold, but respects the greatest intentions of art. It simply warms my heart to see amazing stuff like this. It's the same reason I'm so proud of Naughty Dog and what they've accomplished with Uncharted 4. And when PS4K arrives we'll get even closer to seeing this in games. It won't be perfect. But closer. That's what makes all of this worth it and cool as hell.

Nomura's contribution here would've held this back - simply limited by skill-set. He's a good illustrator, has good ideas about aesthetics, but that's not enough for what this is and what's to come. The thinking here, and even more so for the future, requires wardrobe designers and experts familiar with real-world textiles and materials. Hair stylists as well. I know that Nomura himself realized this at some point which is why he hired Roen to help with the Noctis re-design. The finished product was middling at best. They should've torn down Noctis and started over.

Again, Nyx should be the main character of FFXV.

Arkeband

Banned
Nyx looks like a Japanese take on western design concepts, which is why he's so visually appealing. While the overall design looks like a western hero, there's a few concepts that add a unique visual flair that most western devs wouldn't put on their characters:

zgLI3Ax.png

It's only a few details, but they matter. He doesn't just look "western": Nyx looks like a western Final Fantasy character. It's that blend between aesthetics that's resonating with people, I think. It's the same reason the Resident Evil protagonists look so cool - they look overall "American" but have little details like Leon's bangs or Jill's campy beret that evoke the more stylized look common in Japanese media.

He looks like someone mashed up Charlie Hunnam and Channing Tatum.

Now in-game Luna looks like a sex doll. LOVE the CG one!

It's still jarring to have them look so drastically different.

wait, are the voice actors of the movie also doing the English dub of the game?!
I bet not... what about the JP voices? I would rather have some consistency, especially when we get an anime and movie right along with the game...

Arkeband

Banned
It's still jarring to have them look so drastically different.

wait, are the voice actors of the movie also doing the English dub of the game?!
I bet not... what about the JP voices? I would rather have some consistency, especially when we get an anime and movie right along with the game...

Sean Bean was not the voiceover of Regis during the gameplay videos, so no.

RocBase

This.

Even further - I very much appreciate the reach at photorealism here. The experiment known has "3D CG Anime face" is over. We know what the results are. It's over-used and simultaneously uncompelling. I have so much respect for cg animators that look the uncanny valley argument in the face and say "fuck you" I'm going for it. Using advancements in technology to try and beat the uncanny valley is not only bold, but respects the greatest intentions of art. It simply warms my heart to see amazing stuff like this. It's the same reason I'm so proud of Naughty Dog and what they've accomplished with Uncharted 4. And when PS4K arrives we'll get even closer to seeing this in games. It won't be perfect. But closer. That's what makes all of this worth it and cool as hell.

Nomura's contribution here would've held this back - simply limited by skill-set. He's a good illustrator, has good ideas about aesthetics, but that's not enough for what this is and what's to come. The thinking here, and even more so for the future, requires wardrobe designers and experts familiar with real-world textiles and materials. Hair stylists as well. I know that Nomura himself realized this at some point which is why he hired Roen to help with the Noctis re-design. The finished product was middling at best. They should've torn down Noctis and started over.

Again, Nyx should be the main character of FFXV.

About the 3D CG Anime face being uncompelling, I will agree to an extent because I always did find there was generally a spark that was missing from most of them which otherwise made them look like lifeless dolls even in motion. That being said, the Visual Works demo which happened last year left reason to believe there was much progress in their quest to merge realism with their "idealized beauty" aesthetic.

But the idea that this style is overused and praising what is essentially a mimic of reality - something we see not only every day, but is literally in almost every other AAA game - is a little upsetting. There was a commenter who said this guy looks straight out of Asscreed, and I couldn't agree with them more. I find this aesthetic choice a little regressive/lazy in the sense it's essentially doing what everyone else is instead of furthering and improving what was their human aesthetic.

The poster guy from FF14 and in that one instance the blond guy from the Visual Works demo (I think he was from Type-0? He looked distinctively different though) were great balances of realism and stylistic. It's completely possible to hit that sweet spot while not being "an uncomfortable mess" like FF15 apparently is. It's really mostly the clothes and hair that's throwing people off, swap their wigs out for anything that wasn't drowned with several hair spray cans and I swear not nearly as many people would be complaining about them. All of their facial structures in that CG face shot of the FF15 cast distinctively look different to each other and tell a story about them, all the while still keeping that "fair" look to them.

I completely resonate with the comments about how this is a jarring different art direction, and how this direction is likely to end up being the new look in future Final Fantasy installments. I do hope we get more stuff in to the likes of FF14 rather than this movie, but we'll see.

JCreasy

About the 3D CG Anime face being uncompelling, I will agree to an extent because I always did find there was generally a spark that was missing from most of them which otherwise made them look like lifeless dolls even in motion. That being said, the Visual Works demo which happened last year left reason to believe there was much progress in their quest to merge realism with their "idealized beauty" aesthetic.

But the idea that this style is overused and praising what is essentially a mimic of reality - something we see not only every day, but is literally in almost every other AAA game - is a little upsetting. There was a commenter who said this guy looks straight out of Asscreed, and I couldn't agree with them more. I find this aesthetic choice a little regressive/lazy in the sense it's essentially doing what everyone else is instead of furthering and improving what was their human aesthetic.

The poster guy from FF14 and in that one instance the blond guy from the Visual Works demo (I think he was from Type-0? He looked distinctively different though) were great balances of realism and stylistic. It's completely possible to hit that sweet spot while not being "an uncomfortable mess" like FF15 apparently is. It's really mostly the clothes and hair that's throwing people off, swap their wigs out for anything that wasn't drowned with several hair spray cans and I swear not nearly as many people would be complaining about them. All of their facial structures in that CG face shot of the FF15 cast distinctively look different to each other and tell a story about them, all the while still keeping that "fair" look to them.

I completely resonate with the comments about how this is a jarring different art direction, and how this direction is likely to end up being the new look in future Final Fantasy installments. I do hope we get more stuff in to the likes of FF14 rather than this movie, but we'll see.

We can agree to disagree. And that's fine. What I'm trying to say is that there are certain design decisions that happened for Nyx just by virtue of the fact that the designer was shooting for photorealism - hairstyle, clothing, stubble, etc. Those details can be lost when designing within anime constraints.

I very much disagree that Nyx looks anything like an Assassin's Creed character. That couldn't be further from the truth. The details, like the horn, the ear bud, the various leather textures - those standout for me.

Maybe it just comes down to taste.

Zoe

We can agree to disagree. And that's fine. What I'm trying to say is that there are certain design decisions that happened for Nyx just by virtue of the fact that the designer was shooting for photorealism - hairstyle, clothing, stubble, etc. Those details can be lost when designing within anime constraints.

How is that any different from the high detailed portraits from the E3 re-reveal? They had blemishes, stubble, detailed hair, etc.

SoulUnison

Banned
Leaving aside the absurdity of a zero-tolerance policy for something as nebulous, subjective and poorly-defined as "homophobia", how can that even remotely count? They were obviously using 'gay' in the generic pejorative sense.

Well maybe I don't appreciate having a facet of my being reduced to a "generic pejorative" that you apparently find acceptable.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is exactly what I've been talking about so often in FFXV threads in regards to what direction FF should take design-wise now that the Western console market is the most important. These ones here are a very good compromise and it would've helped FFXV's perception in the West immensely to have something like this rather than the current main cast.
If I want to play western games I'll play western games. Japanese games should stick with their own design sensibilities.

JCreasy

How is that any different from the high detailed portraits from the E3 re-reveal? They had blemishes, stubble, detailed hair, etc.

Noctis' haircut for instance. It looks OK for an anime drawing (namely ode to Sauske) but feels uninspired when its translated to the hi-def character, in-game or CG. Again, I understand that I'm also talking about taste here.

For, Nyx, I don't know what you call that haircut, but I get a sense of who he is when see it. It also looks cool. I guess it looks like Gladiolus, accept a bit more nuanced. Also, Gladiolus happens to be my favorite character in the main team.

Other things like the horn and the details of the earpiece/earbud. And when they show his ear you briefly see that small bit of jewelry in the hair. Small things like that exist because the character was meant to exist in a photo real environment. The demands of realism push the design choices. It helps pull design forward.

Nomura himself agrees with this:

http://gematsu.com/2008/08/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-dengeki-nomura-interview-translated

What sparked the co-operation with Roen?

Nomura: I notice that the western suit is not easy to design because of all the meticulous details. It is time consuming. We dont have so much time since we are developing both FF13 and FFv13 at the same time. As FFv13 design is based on reality, I decides to find a Fashion design company to do the outfit design.

wanders

Nyx looks like a Japanese take on western design concepts, which is why he's so visually appealing. While the overall design looks like a western hero, there's a few concepts that add a unique visual flair that most western devs wouldn't put on their characters:

zgLI3Ax.png

It's what makes Sam Gideon, Dante, and Jetstream Sam so appealing.

You nailed it.

Bone structure was the nearly the same for all of the faces, to mention something. It always looked like something someone draw or hyper detailed anime rather than human faces. They were just too perfect and sharing a clear unifying template.

Sakaguchi is in a bar somewhere screaming WTF, or smirking maniacally while tapping his fingers together. Runaway budget game, + feature film. Square partying like its 1999 again.

jdstorm

Banned
My question is this: From a storytelling perspective, is this intended to be consumed before or after playing FFXV? That is, will it ruin any story reveals in the main game by revealing villains or making the viewer too familiar with other characters? Or was it written as a very helpful/nearly mandatory primer to XV?

Not sure from my understanding FFXV will start with minor spoiler for the beginning of the game
Noctis and his friends away on a camping trip while the kingdom is invaded
it seems like the movie will focus on a parallel story featuring characters that they really wanted to include in the game but couldn't fit in in as part of a cohesive and well structured narative at that point in the timeline.

How much of that spoils things for you will be up to your discression. I'd watch it first to build context. But in general I'm not put off by spoilers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finally the characters in a FF game look like real people. They should change the game's visuals to match, but of course they won't.

If I want to play western games I'll play western games. Japanese games should stick with their own design sensibilities.

This sounds like an old man argument... Times change, designs are allowed to change. Let them experiment, if it works great. If it doesn't, they'll go back to tried to true designs the next go around.

Ganondorfo

It's what makes Sam Gideon, Dante, and Jetstream Sam so appealing.

You nailed it.

Is he going to be feature in the game? Because I havent seen him in the Uncovered trailer. Although Cor is enough for "badass looking guys who will always be loved by the Final Fantasy community, like Balthier".

Is he going to be feature in the game? Because I havent seen him in the Uncovered trailer. Although Cor is enough for "badass looking guys who will always be loved by the Final Fantasy community, like Balthier".

No.

If anything, I'd wager this is a " kill em all" movie where every good guy except Luna and Cor dies.

Not sure from my understanding FFXV will start with minor spoiler for the beginning of the game
Noctis and his friends away on a camping trip while the kingdom is invaded
it seems like the movie will focus on a parallel story featuring characters that they really wanted to include in the game but couldn't fit in in as part of a cohesive and well structured narative at that point in the timeline.

How much of that spoils things for you will be up to your discression. I'd watch it first to build context. But in general I'm not put off by spoilers.

Pretty much I think this is how it's going to be. After watching the first episode of Brotherhood and playing through the demo, I think the meat of the story will still be focused on the game itself. There still will be "flashback" scenes in the game(this has always been a thing, even in the Versus XIII trailer) that will give the real meat of the story regarding young Noctis, young Luna, and perhaps young Regis and crew(young Cor, young Gladio-Papa, young Cid). You'll also find out why
Noctis is unconscious
in Platinum Demo.

No.

If anything, I'd wager this is a " kill em all" movie where every good guy except Luna and Cor dies.

Well, and the enemies survive too. Glauca seems to be a major part of this movie. I wonder what he is. At first I thought maybe he was another magitek soldier, but how his armor looks and how some pieces seem to be colored crystal(that glows on occassion), maybe he's some sort of Crystal Knight, or genetic/magical experiment in using the power of crystals to produce enhanced warriors(not the first in the FF series, as FFVI and FFVII also dabbled with this).

JCreasy

Bone structure was the nearly the same for all of the faces, to mention something. It always looked like something someone draw or hyper detailed anime rather than human faces. They were just too perfect and sharing a clear unifying template.

Another great point. I hadn't picked up on that. Even the distinct shape of his head and ears.

Eyes as well - where they're set. Nyx's features look unique enough to belong to an actual human being

Not

Banned
Well, I think? It looks better than Advent...? Children?

I'm thinking $2.4 million opening weekend in the states. Generous. Unless this is direct-to-streaming or whatever

Whompa02

I'm thinking $2.4 million opening weekend in the states. Generous. Unless this is direct-to-streaming or whatever

Well considering the ultimate edition comes with it and they may have sold 60 thousand already, I'd say they have a good head start on sales.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Its direct to streaming/download/bluray.

wmlk

I think the reason this looks so westernized is because SE wants to draw in a different kind of audience with the movie to buy into the FFXV universe and game. It's obviously a deliberate decision by them. I think that's what the FFXV compilation is ultimately trying to do by branching out to different mediums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom