• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV Trailer Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I know most would disagree, but I would actually much prefer FFXV itself used this more realistic art style :/

I'm liking this Luna more than the in-game one

I really doubt it. This style is much more personable to the western world than a j-pop boy band.

Andromeda

Banned
Aaron Paul said that they've been working on Kingsglaive for three years.

So the Insomnia invasion's been cut since 2013?

The 2013 trailer didn't actually show the Insomnia invasion, it just showed some random spliced up clips of Noctis fighting in Insomnia mixed in with the Leviathan/Altissia sequence. Combat happening in Insomnia is still in the game so that could have just as easily been the Insomnia clips that were mixed in, not from the invasion but from later.

Considering that Kingsglaive started in 2013 it had to have been changed by then, same goes for Stella being changed into Luna.

The 2013 trailer didn't actually show the Insomnia invasion, it just showed some random spliced up clips of Noctis fighting in Insomnia mixed in with the Leviathan/Altissia sequence. Combat happening in Insomnia is still in the game so that could have just as easily been the Insomnia clips that were mixed in, not from the invasion but from later.

Considering that Kingsglaive started in 2013 it had to have been changed by then, same goes for Stella being changed into Luna.

Noctis isn't part of the Insommia invasion, you can tell by the new trailer when Cor calls him. Ignis being sharp as usual noted that it was all apart of Regis plan to send him away before the peace treaty signing (which Noctis had no idea about) . However, I do think at some point near the end of the game we will have to return to an occupied Insommia and reclaim the throne. The only difference is that we don't get that bombastic opening and the movie perhaps gives more context into what goes on during the fail negotiations.

Razgreez

I'm guilty of not perusing the entire thread but I'm just finding the animation and art style to be... rather unattractive - for want of a better phrase

saher

Banned
Who is the character designer? it looks like it could be Roberto Ferrari.

Anyway im excited for this movie more than the game,this is what i wanted from the uncovered trailer! Knights,armor,magic,villains not the same boring road trip stuff.

It kinda bugs me that the trailer didn't have any dialogue, I showed the trailer to a friend who isn't that into FF but wants to try. Hearing/Seeing the high profile actors might have helped sway him, but the reaction I got was "meh"

Regardless I am excited.

I found a neat bit of trivia I wanted to post...

Eiji Kitada was one of the animators working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII back in the PS3 days when they had a skeleton crew working on the project. According to him, at one point, they only had 2 CG animators working on it. The stress got to him (he said he thought his "head would split open") and he subsequently quit Square.

Well, guess who's back working on Final Fantasy XV?

Kitada is now working on Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV as a contractor with the company Modeling Cafe, Inc.

Just thought it was interesting to see him cycle back around to this project many years later after he thought he might quit the industry altogether because of it.

Koozek

Never would have expected to be so hyped for a CGI movie. Looks stunning. Can't wait for the Kingsglaive Blu-ray that comes with my FFXV Deluxe Edition :>

chozen

Tenebrae snippet I hear July 9th is the Japan release date.

HorribleHotAndeancockoftherock.gif

They should've torn down Noctis and started over.

Again, Nyx should be the main character of FFXV.

Disagree 100%, respectfully.

Just judging from the trailer, Nyx feels like an Assassins Creed character, which is not what I want from a JRPG. The earliest trailers of Noctis were the most appealing to me, Anime Blue Hair and all.

I personally feel the game will be a disjointed mess, due to the constant scrapping of the art designs of key characters.. Someone who hasn't been keeping track and re-watching the trailers since 2006 might have a different perspective than myself admittedly.

And Ledolas looked amazing in the 2011 trailer.. The animation on his face alone in that 3 second clip was menacing. Really disappointed by the re-designs here.

KTallguy

Banned
The art is beautiful, just I have no idea what's going on.

How about introducing the characters... or their goals? I can't tell who is the primary protagonist or what the relationships between the characters are.

Famassu

The art is beautiful, just I have no idea what's going on.

How about introducing the characters... or their goals? I can't tell who is the primary protagonist or what the relationships between the characters are.
Most of these characters are straight out of FFXV (well, other than the slightly altered designs) and they've revealed information about them when they've talked about FFXV itself.

benzy

Just judging from the trailer, Nyx feels like an Assassins Creed character, which is not what I want from a JRPG. The earliest trailers of Noctis were the most appealing to me, Anime Blue Hair and all.

I personally feel the game will be a disjointed mess, due to the constant scrapping of the art designs of key characters.. Someone who hasn't been keeping track and re-watching the trailers since 2006 might have a different perspective than myself admittedly.

And Ledolas looked amazing in the 2011 trailer.. The animation on his face alone in that 3 second clip was menacing. Really disappointed by the re-designs here.

Iedola in the game hasn't changed.

tumblr_inline_o2yq4y3bJd1raicec_400.jpg

hsX19pF.jpg

Andromeda

Banned

The game art-style and movie art-style are two different things that co-exist, not one replacing the other, it's sort of like how Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Fusion had two different art-styles but still represent the same character. Iedolas looks exactly the same as he always did since his 2011 reveal in the game. http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ff15/character/iedolas/

The movie is using a more realistic art-style so things look different there. Also other than Prompto's face/hair changing slightly from his 2013 to his 2014 design, Regis's face/hair changing from his 2014 to his 2015 design, and Luna replacing Stella, every other character we've seen from the game still has the same design and outfit they've had since the 2011 trailer, 2010 for Noctis. So Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Aranea, Iedolas all look the same since their 2011 trailer appearance, and both Regis and Prompto still have the same outfit since the 2011 trailer. Roberto Ferrari mentioned that he designed Ardyn, Verstael and Gentiana in 2010, also Tabata mentioned that Cidney was in the game since Versus too, and along with Cor and any other character in revealed once it was XV, none of them have changed in design either.

Not sure where you are getting "disjointed mess" from when design changes are the norm in every game during development, and the designs and also the story in Versus to XV have changed less than the FF7 characters did from their initial concepts, it doesn't really matter if we saw the XV initial concepts before the game was out, Cloud went from being a character detective Joe to a short guy with slicked back hair like Zacks and a thinner smaller sword to who he is now with three variants on his current design, one skinny and short, one tall and muscular, and one inbetween, the character of Aeris originally had the early draft design of Tifa and was named Tifa before being changed in design and name to Aeris that we know, while the character of Tifa we know wasn't originally even in the game, also the character of Aeris when known as Tifa was originally written Sephiroth's sister, Barret was originally named blow, the character of Rude originally had the name Reno, which they later used to create a separate character called Reno with a different design.

wmlk

I think you're mistaking movie changes for game changes. Regis, Luna, and Prompto are the only characters who look different from 2011 on.

Luna and Prompto are clearly Nomura redesigns. Luna's face looks identical to Stella's from E3 2013. Regis is the only non-Nomura design here in the current game.

Nomura's actually been responsible for most of the character design changes throughout its 10 year history. I'm sure we weren't pointing at Versus XIII for it being a disjointed mess for changing character designs, so it makes even less sense to do it here when so much of the later revisions of the character designs have stayed intact.

Setsu00

I think you're mistaking movie changes for game changes. Regis, Luna, and Prompto are the only characters who look different from 2011 on.

Luna and Prompto are clearly Nomura redesigns. Luna's face looks identical to Stella's from E3 2013. Regis is the only non-Nomura design here in the current game.

Nomura's actually been responsible for most of the character design changes throughout its 10 year history. I'm sure we weren't pointing at Versus XIII for it being a disjointed mess for changing character designs, so it makes even less sense to do it here when so much of the later revisions of the character designs have stayed intact.

I don't know about Luna and Prompto (I'd attribute them both to either Naora or Ferrari) being Nomura redesigns, but that doesn't mean your point is invalid.

wmlk

I don't know about Luna and Prompto (I'd attribute them both to either Naora or Ferrari) being Nomura redesigns, but that doesn't mean your point is invalid.

Regarding Luna, I'm only basing it off of this GIF that I found. Luna looks more pouty here which changes things a bit, but it's identical or at least very close to it. Only the face here.

CmiB2AA.gif

For Prompto, he looks very much like Zell from VIII. It's true that we haven't gotten official credits for the updated designs of those two, but I think Tabata singling out Regis as the character who has gotten a design change says a lot about who has changed and who hasn't.

Philippo

THey just toyed around with some facial features, but that's very far from what i'd call a redesing, unlike Regis/Luna.

KTallguy

Banned
Most of these characters are straight out of FFXV (well, other than the slightly altered designs) and they've revealed information about them when they've talked about FFXV itself.

Yeah, but that doesn't do anything for a person who hasn't followed every trailer and knows all of the story elements already. Even just a basic narrated one liner touching on character motivations would be helpful.

RPGCrazied

Have they said length yet? I know they said feature length, so am assuming 90 minutes.

Can't wait for this, looks great.

Koozek

Noctis should get his blue hair and red eyes back.

It never left. His hair color and eyes change when he uses magic or summons, IIRC.

maxresdefault.jpg

ffxv___tgs2015___noctis_i_by_stellaearrente-d9a436c.jpg

Here it's brown hair with red eyes, see the E3 renders/Episode Duscae character menu renders:
Noctis_Red.PNG

Not sure if it's just the lighting that makes the hair look more blue/grey in some screens and renders.

Gravidee

Have they said length yet? I know they said feature length, so am assuming 90 minutes.

Can't wait for this, looks great.

hqdefault.jpg

I wonder if this will be anywhere near as long as Advent Children Complete. Do we know what the budget for this movie is? It seems to blow every other videogame based CG movie that has released within the past decade or so out of the water visually.

wmlk

But Noctis only got one redesign around 2010?

OK, gonna make a post simply because I wanna see if what I'm saying makes sense to me.

Noctis, Gladio, Prompto, Ignis changed from 2006 -> 2008 (which were admittedly prototype designs) after Nomura inked his name in blood to get the lifetime's supply of Roen attire.

Noctis also changed slightly from the AC Complete trailer design to what we have now.

NoctisLucisCaelum-1.jpg

(AC Complete trailer design)

154_150509091738_1.jpg

(current design, probably from 2011 onwards)

Stella changed from the 2008 DK Sigma trailer to the AC Complete trailer design. She was changed again to what we saw in 2011. That wasn't enough though, Nomura changed her again to Leanne from RoF in 2013.

(DK Sigma trailer, this was probably a prototype)

(As an aside, it's funny how we always point to Stella being some ruthless badass antagonist to Noctis, but she's all teary-eyed here when she battles him. We didn't know anything about her character to make any assertion about her character.)

c43f3f03129a73c25f06ad1fcdad16dd1247302238_full.jpg

(AC Complete trailer, couldn't find one just with Stella)

whereisversus6101.jpg

(same design, but I wanted to show this since it was my favourite version of Stella/Luna and it was captured very well in-game)

(Stella from 2011...)

CmiB2AA.gif

(Leanne from 2013 and not Leanne 2015)

There's more I can post (Prompto and Regis), but the point I'm trying to make is that Versus XIII had its fair share of character design changes from 2006 to 2013. What we have now is still very faithful to what we had before regarding character designs, other than Regis who has a different face now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom