• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Epic Yarn announced [N-CONF]

imt9xl.png

sfried said:
This is going to piss off so many people... :lol :lol :lol
I'm indifferent, honestly. They liked it because it wasn't one of the 50 first person shooters at E3, and I can understand that. But I think the game should be touted for it's originality and innovation, and not winning awards for best graphics, which most people associate with cutting edge looks, not yarn. It still, for all intensive purposes, looks like a game that can be made in LBP2 as far as i'm concerned, which begs the question: why isn't LBP2 being considered? Even for the original gameplay, this game looks completely stale to me.

Good for GameTrailers. At the end of the day, creativity, imagination, and art direction are far more import than pixels and polygons. I've been saying this for the past four years and it's nice to see that others are on the same page. Comparing Epic Yarn to the myriad of M-rated HD blockbusters is like comparing Yoshi's Island to PS1 games from the same era. "Photo-realistic" games are going to look like shit in ten years while a game like Epic Yarn will be beautiful forever.

Coolio McAwesome said:
Good for GameTrailers. At the end of the day, creativity, imagination, and art direction are far more import than pixels and polygons. I've been saying this for the past four years and it's nice to see that others are on the same page. Comparing Epic Yarn to the myriad of M-rated HD blockbusters is like comparing Yoshi's Island to PS1 games from the same era. "Photo-realistic" games are going to look like shit in ten years while a game like Epic Yarn will be beautiful forever.
But that's just it, it's not winning an award for "creative imagination, and art direction," it's winning an award for best graphics, which it clearly does not have. This is one of the reactions from a poster on the gametrailers forum that I really can agree with:

What the fuck?!
Is this an award for best GRAPHICS or best ART STYLE?! There is a HUGE difference between then...learn that GT!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Deputy Moonman said:
I'm indifferent, honestly. They liked it because it wasn't one of the 50 first person shooters at E3, and I can understand that. But I think the game should be touted for it's originality and innovation, and not winning awards for best graphics, which most people associate with cutting edge looks, not yarn. It still, for all intensive purposes, looks like a game that can be made in LBP2 as far as i'm concerned, but whatever. Even for the original gameplay, this game looks completely stale to me.
Translation for GT's comments: FUCK THIS FUCKING BULLL SHHITTTTTT!!!! I COULD PLAY THIS GAME ON MY CALCULATOR! GT JUST SHOT THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT!!!

Deputy Moonman said:
But that's just it, it's not winning an award for "creative imagination, and art direction," it's winning an award for best graphics, which it clearly does not have. This is one of the reactions from a poster on the gametrailers forum that I really can agree with:
Graphics =/= Technology

Graphics = How The Game Looks

Blizzard

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
The screenshot above says the "smoothest and most innovative good looks", so I assume that innovation would count. *shrug*

Neiteio

AniHawk said:
somebody make a thread.

no wait don't do it
I second this fine gentleman's motion!

This game really does look incredible. All the previous Kirby games kind of blurred together in my mind into one shapeless mass of pastel colors, one looking like the other. Hence I wasn't exactly stoked at the prospect of a new console Kirby. But this game just screams style. Textile, cloth, and that oh-so-amazing yarn. I don't think watching the dragon boss will ever get old.

And yes, I own a PS3 and was stunned by Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 (the latter's Poseidon and Cronos set-pieces, especially). But in the end, they're still polygons. Whereas I look at Epic Yarn here and I don't think "polygons," "sprites" or whatever. I see a creature-y life akin to stop-motion masterpieces like Nightmare Before Christmas. Real magic, if you would.

I wonder if anyone who worked on Yoshi's Story is working on this...

Akai

Deputy Moonman said:
But that's just it, it's not winning an award for "creative imagination, and art direction," it's winning an award for best graphics, which it clearly does not have.

Graphics IS art style, and vice versa, to me. That said, I think Kirby has BETTER GRAPHICS than anything else in the category...

I don't know about you guys, but I think Good Feel's artistic brilliance with this game just proves that they truly should be under Nintendo's belt. What are they waiting for?!

zigg

Anyone claiming there's no technical achievement in making Epic Yarn look like it does is basically in denial.

Hero of Legend said:
I don't know about you guys, but I think Good Feel's artistic brilliance with this game just proves that they truly should be under Nintendo's belt. What are they waiting for?!

A Good Seller

RagnarokX

Deputy Moonman said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics

"Graphics (from Greek γραφικός graphia) are visual presentations on some surface, such as a wall, canvas, computer screen, paper, or stone to brand, inform, illustrate, or entertain"

"Graphics can be functional or artistic."

farnham

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
they already proven it with wario land shake it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hero of Legend said:

For the ability to not be under the control of a large company.

farnham said:
they already proven it with wario land shake it

Maybe, but shouldn't the credit be more towards Production I.G. for that? I'm not certain who's responsible for what in particular for the amazing animation and such in Shake It.

HK-47 said:
For the ability to not be under the control of a large company.

I suppose being 1st Party's not a huge deal, I just feel that these guys are a tremendously talented bunch and that they really go hand-in-hand with Nintendo, thus why I feel they should be properly together. Second-Party's good enough for that I guess. :p

Blizzard said:
The screenshot above says the "smoothest and most innovative good looks", so I assume that innovation would count. *shrug*
I guess I would ask why LBP2 wasn't considered? I think what it really comes down to is that Gametrailers.com wanted to vote for something new, not a sequel, nor another first person shooter. This really doesn't affect me much, because I'm really only interested in on game, Halo Reach.

But it's worth posting my thoughts in this thread, because I think it's obvious that the Nintendo lovers aren't even willing to concede the point. It's just a "haha look at that" kind of argument as opposed to a "yeah this game should not have won best graphics unless we are willing to re-define what 'best graphics' means. I own an xbox 360 and a Wii. I like games on both consoles. I don't own an PS3, so I promise you that I'm not trying to troll this thread or hate on Nintendo.

Blizzard

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I guess I would ask why LBP2 wasn't considered? I think what it really comes down to is that Gametrailers.com wanted to vote for something new, not a sequel, nor another first person shooter. This really doesn't affect me much, because I'm really only interested in on game, Halo Reach.

But it's worth posting my thoughts in this thread, because I think it's obvious that the Nintendo lovers aren't even willing to concede the point. It's just a "haha look at that" kind of argument as opposed to a "yeah this game should not have won best graphics unless we are willing to re-define what 'best graphics' means. I own an xbox 360 and a Wii. I like games on both consoles. I don't own an PS3, so I promise you that I'm not trying to troll this thread or hate on Nintendo.
I haven't seen LBP2 pictures that I know of -- is it really so different graphically from LBP1 that it would be considered innovative? I'm just going by the screenshot though, and they might have some full description on their website that says best technical AAshadertechz or something, and the reward is a sham. ;(

Deputy Moonman said:

I understand your point, but maybe we're not actually "redefining" what it means to have the best graphics. Maybe this is just the first time the industry is mature enough (!) to realize that best graphics doesn't mean pushing technology.

If you look at major cinematography or production design awards, they award both the artistic and the technical. This is just the first time a major publication was able to see past pure polygons and shader counts and look at the big picture.

As for LBP, you mentioned yourself that maybe Gametrailers wanted to award something that wasn't a sequel, and LBP 2 looks very much like LBP 1. The first one, though, should absolutely have been lauded for its unique graphical approach.

Jzero

Pleased to say that this game has won the Best Graphics of E3 award from GameTrailers, defeating Killzone 3, Rage, Crysis 2, and Gears of War 3.
I really like the art style in this game but i wounldnt give it best graphics award:lol either way i cant wait to play it :D

TL4E

If we're going with the definition of graphics that (most) people likely have in mind, then it's obvious that HD consoles would floor Wii games every time.

I applaud GT for using a much more liberal interpretation of "graphics."

And :lol at the gif above.

TL4E said:
If we're going with the definition of graphics that (most) people likely have in mind, then it's obvious that HD consoles would floor Wii games every time.

I applaud GT for using a much more liberal interpretation of "graphics."

And :lol at the gif above.

If by liberal you mean actual.

There's finally justice in this world, now that people are beginning to learn that artstyle is more important that shoving a bunch of particle effects into a game.

robor

Deputy Moonman said:

Totally. This is great though, not only does GT not know the different between art direction and graphics they also can't tell the difference between Shinji Mikami and Suda 51. What a credible site.

Busaiku

Hero of Legend said:
I think they're close enough to them anyway, like Skip or Alpha Dream.

Deputy Moonman said:
But that's just it, it's not winning an award for "creative imagination, and art direction," it's winning an award for best graphics, which it clearly does not have.
robor said:
Totally. This is great though, not only does GT not know the different between art direction and graphics they also can't tell the difference between Shinji Mikami and Suda 51. What a credible site.

If there was an award for "most pixels on screen" or "most polygons" then Kirby wouldn't win. That's not what this award was for, however. It was for best graphics. Is this really that hard to understand?

The term "graphics" simply refers to a visual presentation. Art direction and creativity obviously play a role in this presentation. To argue otherwise would be an admission that you do not understand what the term actually means. This is not up for debate. "Graphics" is a proper word with a proper definition and proper connotations. You don't necessarily have to agree with GameTrailer's choice, but anyone who argues that "art direction" and "graphics" are mutually exclusive clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

Top Bottom