• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Epic Yarn announced [N-CONF]

just quick question: is this still a Kirby game? I've watched a couple videos and while the style is wonderful and all that, it doesn't seem like the traditional style of Kirby game. I'm getting shades of Wario Land Shake It where it is a very pretty game, but it was pretty boring to play and outright different from other games in the series.

Linkzg said:
just quick question: is this still a Kirby game? I've watched a couple videos and while the style is wonderful and all that, it doesn't seem like the traditional style of Kirby game. I'm getting shades of Wario Land Shake It where it is a very pretty game, but it was pretty boring to play and outright different from other games in the series.

Not all Kirby games play exactly like Super Star, you know...
In fact, the best one doesn't (Canvas Curse).

Linkzg said:

Well it does take away two of Kirby's trademark abilities; inhaling and puffed-up hovering.

However he is able to take on different forms and can float as UFO Kirby.

Biggest gameplay differences I can make out.

RagnarokX

AceBandage said:
Not all Kirby games play exactly like Super Star, you know...
In fact, the best one doesn't (Canvas Curse).
Heck, the first Kirby game doesn't play like a "kirby game". No copy powers. And the best one is Kirby's Adventure ;)

Hero of Legend said:
Well it does take away two of Kirby's trademark abilities; inhaling and puffed-up hovering.

However he is able to take on different forms and can float as UFO Kirby.

Biggest gameplay differences I can make out.

oh, ok. the trailer cuts between different powers and I guess they are power ups (?).

just to be clear, I don't have a problem with it being different. it just wasn't clear from some of the videos what the deal was. I'm still curious about what happened to that gamecube kirby from years ago. wonder if that makes its way to the 3DS now.

Linkzg said:
oh, ok. the trailer cuts between different powers and I guess they are power ups (?).

Giant Mech Kirby is a power-up. Pretty sure the same about the UFO. Kirby just turns into the car when he's running.

Ranger X

Gribbix said:
Dunno if anyone has posted this yet, but Gamespot gave its E3 Game of the Show award to Kirby.

Wow nice. I think it deserves such title.

I didn't like it when it was unveiled but at the end of the week I realised how awesome it was. Now I am sold and this could be the first Kirby game I buy since a LONG time.

abstract alien said:
I would have never thought this game would gather such attention in this particular aspect. So good to see its receive its rightful justice, as it looked better than anything else there from a visual standpoint.

Not just the visuals, but the way the visuals become part of the gameplay. Form as content, and all that jazz.

sfried

AceBandage said:
Kirby's Epic Yarn: SUCK IT BITCHES! |OT|
I see what you...I mean, Epic Yarn, Kirby.
Ignis Fatuus said:
Nah, this is by Good Feel. Sakurai is busy with Kid Icarus.
From what I hear, Sora is supervising Good Feel with this project in addition to HAL. Sakurai is said to be personally involved.

Freezie KO said:
Not just the visuals, but the way the visuals become part of the gameplay. Form as content, and all that jazz.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Im a huge fan of titles that use this sort of presentation and really try to encompass everything around it. It seems to do it really well, and I'm glad its getting its deserved rewardings.

Watching the GT footage of Epic Yarn is actually the first footage I've ever seen. I just saw the screenshots before and thought, "Hey, that looks pretty cool." But when seeing it in motion, it's definitely an awesome looking game. I can now see how it won that title.

sfried

Ignis Fatuus said:
First I've heard of it. Are you sure it's not internet FUD?
This was according to preview by G4. It's not entirely impossible, either, as Sakurai/Sora could be merely supervising while Good Feel/HAL are in charge of development (like how Konami supervised Treasure/G-Rev with Gradius V).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gamespot actually had a funny Wii troll:

Game of the Show: Kirby's Epic Yarn!

(douche pops up on the screen)

"So on paper Kirby's Epic Yarn should suck in every way. You got Kirby, who sucks. You have yarn, and everyone knows yarn sucks.. and sowing sucks. And we've got the Wii.."

(douche does Reggienotmyproblem.gif impression)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So great that this was finally announced, but I still hope we get the Gamecube game by HAL at some point. I am a tad worried about Good Feel making it, since I wasn't much of a fan of Wario Land Shake it, but the game play videos so far look pretty good.

Oh well, Yarn Drkirby Avatar is ready, so set speed to Hype Mode!

Also, was it really said that Sakurai was overseeing the game? I know they talked about him, but I thought that was more of a history of the series rather then what he is doing at the moment.

Linkzg said:
just quick question: is this still a Kirby game? I've watched a couple videos and while the style is wonderful and all that, it doesn't seem like the traditional style of Kirby game.

But the pacing is still distinctly Kirby--in fact, I'd say that's one of the series defining trademarks (deviants such as Canvas Curse aside).

farnham

Banned
Akainu said:
I don't like a no sucking/flying kirby. :/
62-1.jpg

AniHawk said:
I don't think it's possible to finish Canvas Curse I mean that last boss is fucking impossible.
Lol, I felt the same way the first few times. I was thinking the game had to be rigged with one of Midway's old AI programmers...but you eventually "get it". Its still not a walk in the park after that, but it is more than beatable once it clicks.

Uncle AJ

av-13.gif
mikekirbyyarndfinal.gif

I'm considering filling in the mouth, looks kinda weird as it is... but that would go against the Epic Yarn style so I'm not sure. Super Star sprites weren't really meant for this treatment.

Top Bottom