• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot |OT| A Transformative Mechstravaganza

@MUWANdo

Banned
Do any of the amiibos unlock exclusive content, or can everything be earned in-game?

The UFO power has been advertised as exclusive to the new Kirby Amiibo but you can access it without the Amiibo
once you reach 100% completion

The Smash ability you get from the Kirby Smash Amiibo is also available in several places but they generally hide it fairly well.

The other Kirby character Amiibo give you copy powers with different costumes but they function identically to the standard powers that are in the game.

Cindro

The Kirby series Kirby amiibo gives you access to UFO ability which is otherwise unavailable (and a totally imbalanced gamebreaker, like always). The other Kirby series amiibos give you unique costumes, but otherwise standard abilities.
I love alternate costumes! Is there a list with pictures somewhere yet?

I wasn't a big fan of the last two Kirby games, as they were pretty boring. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

For those who've beaten it: How long is it supposed to be?

The UFO power has been advertised as exclusive to the new Kirby Amiibo but you can access it without the Amiibo

The Smash ability you get from the Kirby Smash Amiibo is also available in several places but they generally hide it fairly well.

The other Kirby character Amiibo give you copy powers with different costumes but they function identically to the standard powers that are in the game.

You can get the Smash ability anytime you want with a Kirby Smash amiibo?

Berordn

This is news to me, good to know it's just an early unlock.

I love alternate costumes! Is there a list with pictures somewhere yet?

There's just three, one for each of the other Kirby amiibos. I'm having trouble finding larger images of them, but here's something:
amiibocostumesg3sad.png

Kazerei

Banned
I'm looking forward to the two mini-games more than the main game. It's too bad Team Kirby Clash is local multi only though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
How often can you scan the amiibo for their abilities?

I believe each amiibo can be scanned once per level. However, there might be a cap to how many separate amiibo you can use per level as well.

NateDrake

I wasn't a big fan of the last two Kirby games, as they were pretty boring. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

For those who've beaten it: How long is it supposed to be?

You can run through the main game in about 6hrs (a little less).

Cindro

Ah, thanks for the responses friends!

I still quite don't understand why Kirby as a franchise never fully grabbed me. Platformers are my favorite genre, and Nintendo is my favorite developer - in large part due to their craftsmanship and whimsical charm - things Kirby games have in spades!

Though, to give context, I've only ever really played three Kirby games. Canvas Curse (which I adored), the OG Gameboy one, and whatever the DS remake was - Superstar Ultra or something? I remember buying that one on the assurance from several GAFfers that it was the best package of the best Kirby game, so after it fell flat for me I kind of stopped paying attention to Kirby (not that it was a bad game, of course - just not as engaging as I expected, at least at the time).

I'm feeling pretty good about Robobobobobobobobobot, though. Impressions make it sound like just the game I'm looking for right now.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You can get the Smash ability anytime you want with a Kirby Smash amiibo?

Yep. Most Amiibo gives you a specific power, meaning Smash Kirby will always give you Smash, Mario will always give you Fire, Pikachu will always give you Spark, etc; the only ones that don't are the third-party Amiibo (Sonic, Mega Man, Shovel Knight, etc) or very recent Amiibo like Wolf Link which just give you a random power.

How often can you scan the amiibo for their abilities?

I *think* it's once per level, with a max 10 Amiibo per level.

You can run through the main game in about 6hrs (a little less).

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks!

I still quite don't understand why Kirby as a franchise never fully grabbed me. Platformers are my favorite genre, and Nintendo is my favorite developer - in large part due to their craftsmanship and whimsical charm - things Kirby games have in spades!

Though, to give context, I've only ever really played three Kirby games. Canvas Curse (which I adored), the OG Gameboy one, and whatever the DS remake was - Superstar Ultra or something? I remember buying that one on the assurance from several GAFfers that it was the best package of the best Kirby game, so after it fell flat for me I kind of stopped paying attention to Kirby (not that it was a bad game, of course - just not as engaging as I expected, at least at the time).

I'm feeling pretty good about Robobobobobobobobobot, though. Impressions make it sound like just the game I'm looking for right now.

The first Kirby was great on Game Boy. I never owned it, or a Game Boy, but I loved it when I'd play it at a friend's. But I never had much interest in the SNES games or N64 ones.

Epic Yarn was also great, but the last two -- 3DS and Wii U -- were bland.

I believe each amiibo can be scanned once per level. However, there might be a cap to how many separate amiibo you can use per level as well.

Yep. Most Amiibo gives you a specific power, meaning Smash Kirby will always give you Smash, Mario will always give you Fire, Pikachu will always give you Spark, etc; the only ones that don't are the third-party Amiibo (Sonic, Mega Man, Shovel Knight, etc) or very recent Amiibo like Wolf Link which just give you a random power.

I *think* it's once per level, with a max 10 Amiibo per level.

Thanks, guys. I don't even have a way to scan amiibo right now, but I think playing with Smash would be fun. I first found out about Kirby from SSB.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Try this one out and see how it goes. I'm a bit of a Kirby fan *cough*, and for whatever reason, Super Star Ultra didn't click with me as much as other games.

I've seen a lot of people push the latest Kirby games aside as "more of the same", and it confuses me. IMO, Kirby's at his prime as of late, and Robobot seems to be continuing this trend. I haven't had a working 3DS for a while, but whenever I grab a New 3DS, this will probably be my first purchase. I'm also really glad to see a lot of positive reviews so far!

Berordn

Isn't it kind of like a collection of mini games?

Kirby Super Star (slash Ultra) are about the same length as any other Kirby game, it just divides itself up into very loosely connected vignettes with different framing devices (i.e. Spring Breeze is straightforward linear progression as an adaptation of Kirby's Dream Land, but Dyna Blade features a Mario 3 style world map).

The mechanics between every game are otherwise identical (with one minor exception in Milky Way Wishes).

I've seen a lot of people push the latest Kirby games aside as "more of the same", and it confuses me. IMO, Kirby's at his prime as of late, and Robobot seems to be continuing this trend. I haven't had a working 3DS for a while, but whenever I grab a New 3DS, this will probably be my first purchase. I'm also really glad to see a lot of positive reviews so far!

I find it hard to disagree with that sentiment, Robobot seems purely iterative (just as Triple Deluxe was with RtDL before it). But I don't think that's a bad thing in any capacity. The last mainline Kirby games have definitely stuck to a formula, but it's a formula that works and builds on previous success.

I agree. They are not too simple or too easy either.

I was just playing Canvas Curse, and that game is pretty challenging, especially the time attack style modes.

Velcro Fly

Got this game and the amiibo coming tomorrow

Cannot wait to play.

I feel like the 2D platformers on the 3DS have generally been pretty good so another addition to that is welcome.

Oh shit I forgot this came out today! Gonna download this immediately. Been looking forward to it. Hopefully I can snag some Amiibos with relative ease. Haven't fed that addiction in a while and it's time for a relapse.

Picking it up tomorrow!

The Kirby series has been on a pretty mean streak these past few years. Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe are both strong titles, with fun gimmicks, good level design, and great new copy abilities. Even if they lack the flash of a huge heavily marketed release, there's something to be lauded for a dev team to so consistently release great action platformers that keep getting better.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Got a copy of this and the Waddle Dee amiibo coming tomorrow. Looking forward to it, Triple Deluxe was fantastic. Hope the soundtrack is at least as good, if not better.

Great thread and subtitle, Max.

Can't wait for tomorrow....evening.

Only bad part about it being shipped from UPS for me since I'm near the ending route. lol

So GameXplain posted a video of the final boss fight 10 minutes after the game's release date as usual.

I am a weak man for watching it. But...

66f7c99f-3b7f-4b41-a775-4632baaf79f1.gif

Best final boss fight in the series. Hands down. It's... so fucking good. I can't. So good.

I just played through and 100%ed world 1, it took me 1 hour 10 mins. This game is joyous. I had a big goofy grin on my face the whole time. The robot vibe permeates every facet of the game too, making it feel cohesive rather than a tacked on gimmick. And the music is SO. GOOD. It is verrrrrrry easy so far, even for a Kirby game, and I haven't even gotten to half life bar yet, let alone lost a single life. Getting every cube collectible in the world gets you
an EX stage for world 1, which is a new stage that seems to mash together the level themes of the previous 4 levels.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Got this game today and played a bit, man it is so fun and the music is just amazing. Still mixed on the robot at the moment.

Finished first 2 worlds, what can I say

The game is so damn awesome

I did notice a little lag when in mecha and with full 3d activated, it was in a level in world 1, but nothing unplayable

The game is awesome, and i'm really digging the new OST

DO NOT search for the OST in youtube, it spoils a lot of things due to the song names

Going to pick up the game and all of the amiibo this afternoon at Best Buy. Can't wait!!! My 3DS hasn't had a lot to do lately.

Picking it up tomorrow!

The Kirby series has been on a pretty mean streak these past few years. Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe are both strong titles, with fun gimmicks, good level design, and great new copy abilities. Even if they lack the flash of a huge heavily marketed release, there's something to be lauded for a dev team to so consistently release great action platformers that keep getting better.

I feel like the last two games nailed the level design. The pinnacle of the series, in regards to stage layout. Instead of just making the games super easy, where you can fly through them, I feel like the team is crafting levels with Kirby's flight and super OP powers in mind.

Been playing it since Wednesday, and if you liked Triple Deluxe then you'll love this. Also, I'm amazed at how natural the mech feels. Doesn't feel intrusive at all, and is more like an extension of Kirbys abilities.

Also when the hell have you been able to roll while guarding? :O

Word to the wise: if you're looking for the Smash Bros power and you don't have any amiibo, keep your eyes peeled in the first area of 3-1.

FaintDeftone

I'm kind of curious to check this out. I thought the last Kirby 3DS game was a little boring. It was a slog to play through.

Honestly, I had more fun returning to Triple Deluxe to play the arena and mini-games, and collect stuff I missed, than I did the first time through.

Top Bottom