• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot |OT| A Transformative Mechstravaganza

maxcriden

kirbybot_ot_banneriesf2.png

kirby_infocns88.png

Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: 3DS family of systems
Release Date: April 2016 (JP), June 10, 2016 (everywhere else)
Players: 1 (Main Game), 2-4 (Team Kirby Clash, local only)
Genre: Platformbot-ing
Price: $39.99 (US), €39.99, £34.99
Special Thanks: TheMoon!!!!! for the amazing graphics. Best viewed in Dark Theme.

kirby_gameplay94shd.png

Harness the power of the Robobot Armor!

Harness the power of a mysterious mech to stop ruthless invaders from mechanizing Kirby's home world. Smash through tough obstacles, lift heavy objects with ease, and scan enemies to shape-shift into new Modes with powerful abilities in this supercharged action-platformer!

That's right—Kirby's Robobot Armor can shape-shift into different modes by scanning enemies to copy their moves—like the new Jet Mode. Not to mention, Kirby™ can copy abilities the old-fashioned way too—by inhaling them!

kirby_bonusgames64su0.png

Team Kirby Clash

Team up with three other players* or computer-controlled players to take on tough bosses in this RPG-style mode. Up to four systems can share one Game Card via Download Play.

Kirby 3D Rumble

Take down enemies and collect medals on 3D stages in this fast-paced, puzzle-style mode.

Plus returning favorites like The Arena and more!

kirby_screens6eszp.png

kirby_reviews69sxr.png

Forbes said:
Overall, this is a great platformer done better than most of the competition out there. If you have a 3DS then this is a necessary purchase, as it needs to be part of your gaming library.

Forbes - 9/10

Gamespot said:
Planet Robobot's meager difficulty may feel like a turn off at times, but it's not a reason to write it off. Once you spend time sampling the large selection of powers in each stage, taking in the detailed visuals, the catchy soundtrack, and exploring the wealth of extra modes on hand, you are so focused on the game's pervasive charm that you're looking forward to the next delightful surprise, rather than praying for a grueling test of skill. Planet Robobot is another great feather in Kirby's cap that shouldn't be overlooked.

Gamespot - 8/10

Game Informer said:
Planet Robobot has not moved Kirby forward in any significant way, but it’s a well-made platformer that’s worth completing.

Game Informer - 8/10

Opencritic - 82

Review Thread is here with links to more reviews!

kirby_amiibozbshw.png

12825740_990710267684455_194382264_n.jpg

-Tap any compatible amiibo™ figure in Story Mode and Kirby™ will inhale the in-game figure to gain a Copy Ability
-Tap any of the new Kirby series amiibo™ figures to give Kirby a unique look or special Copy Ability

kirby_videosvgsep.png

Reveal Trailer

Overview Trailer

Nintendo Minute: 'Let's Robot!'

kirby_havefun_end5bsjb.png

daydream

Banned
nice ot!

my copy is arriving tomorrow and i think i'll dive right in

looking forward to kirby 3d rumble in particular

Fireblend

Banned
Looking forward to this! I usually like Kirby games and I adored Triple Deluxe. I'm actually pretty excited for this :D

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Can we -bobo and -bobot everything in the English language? I can't help but smile as I read all of those headings.

I'm pumped for this game and Kirby getting his own amiibo set. I can't wait for mine to all arrive tomorrow!

TripOpt55

Triple Deluxe was super fun. I'm looking forward to this. Going to try and rent it for now since I just bought Mirror's Edge, but I'm excited to play through it.

-shadow-

Great OP! Love this series, but am ashamed to admit I don't own either Kirby's Adventure on the Wii nor do I own Triple Deluxe yet. Really should fix that before getting around to this.

Simbabbad

I love Kirby, and even though I thought Triple Deluxe was inferior to Kirby's Adventure Wii (aka Kirby Return to Dreamland), I'm really hyped.

Got my copy earlier today complete with glorious Kirby amiibo, not that I can use it with a 3DS XL over here.

Only played through World 1 so far but while its of course incredibly similar to Triple Deluxe in presentation and playstyle (which in turn was similar to Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii) it seems like it has the potential to be a fair bit better than TD.
The mech surprised me in that it's implemented in a way that make it more of a standard part of stage progression as opposed to being the new Super ability/hypernova gimmick where you just demolish everything once every 2-3 stages.

Camera is more zoomed out like older kirby titles which is nice, background visuals are improved over Triple Deluxe, point it that it seems neato.

Finished the first world, it's a gorgeous game.
Much like TD it's certainly one of the best looking games on the system in terms of production values and usage of the 3D effect.
The robot gimmick is a lot of fun so far and a big improvement over TD's mega-suction special feature.
The robotic aesthetic makes for a really fresh take on a Kirby game and there's already been some novel enemies and sequences utilises screws, electrical currents, batteries and machines.
The mini games are more fun than TD's Fighters and Drum Dash so far too.
I'm really impressed, it's certainly seeming like a worthy sequel to the brilliant Triple Deluxe and builds cleverly upon and improves on it in certain ways.
Can't wait to play some more...

Bought it this morning, so it should be done downloading by the time I get home.

I really hate that there are copy abilities locked behind Amiibos. I just can't bring myself to give a shit about those.

JordanKZ

Somehow, Shopto sent this out over a week ago and I've already finished it. It's short, but sweet, but Triple Deluxe is just a tad better.

Grind stage 1-4 for generic stickers. It's a short stage with four stickers, five if you are good at the end stage mini-game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Bought it this morning, so it should be done downloading by the time I get home.

I really hate that there are copy abilities locked behind Amiibos. I just can't bring myself to give a shit about those.

Every copy ability in the game is accessible without Amiibo, even UFO.

Every copy ability in the game is accessible without Amiibo, even UFO.
Excellent. Doesn't change my purchase decision regardless, but yes.

I assume Stone is still the best ability. I'll always drop whatever else I have for that, though I like Ninja and Plasma a lot, too.

Excellent. Doesn't change my purchase decision regardless, but yes.

I assume Stone is still the best ability. I'll always drop whatever else I have for that, though I like Ninja and Plasma a lot, too.

Really, Stone? I think Hammer does the most damage, and Archer is useful to hit from a range and you can hide and become invulnerable if you press down. I know you get invincible when you are turned into a stone, but I thought it was kind of hard to actually hit with.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I need this in my life but that $50 CDN price ugh!

Got this game and the Amiibos coming tomorrow, I'm so damn excited for this. I love Kirby, particularly traditional Kirby like Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe, just simple, fun, platforming-and-power up goodness. The experimental titles are great too, but Kirby shines as a simple 2D platformer the most.

TWILT

Banned
Pretty excited for this. Loved Triple Deluxe and according to most impressions I've heard, this one seems even better. :eek:

Grind stage 1-4 for generic stickers. It's a short stage with four stickers, five if you are good at the end stage mini-game.

Are these stickers the same ones that were keychains in Triple Deluxe? I was wondering about that... It seems kind of repetitive. Although they probably work well as decals for the Robobot armor.

AdanVC

Awww such a cute RoboOP, Max! Kirby 2d platformers are excellent and glad this one is no exception. Will bought soon since I'm currently playing Kirby's Epic Yarn and I already got the Kirby itch.

Really, Stone? I think Hammer does the most damage, and Archer is useful to hit from a range and you can hide and become invulnerable if you press down. I know you get invincible when you are turned into a stone, but I thought it was kind of hard to actually hit with.
They buffed Stone a bit for Triple Deluxe, I feel, since the transformation can hit now, too (multiple times if you use that spinning super stone move), and you retain a bit of forward momentum if you transform from a dash or dash-jump. I did get hit by something in that game while still in stone form, though, so it's not completely invincible anymore. I don't remember what attack actually hit me.

maxcriden

Are these stickers the same ones that were keychains in Triple Deluxe? I was wondering about that... It seems kind of repetitive. Although they probably work well as decals for the Robobot armor.

I'm curious about this also. #paging Sticker_Man...no...Decal_Man...no, that's not right...Magent_Man!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Brakke

Banned
I can't believe they ever thought it was ok to Junior you, Maxc. Delightful OP.

Can't wait for this to show up.

@MUWANdo

Banned

The actual designs are mostly different--they're all illustrated images, not a lot of pixel art.

As collectibles, they function pretty much the same as keychains: some are random, some are hidden in fixed positions.

I'm curious about this also. #paging Sticker_Man...no...Decal_Man...no, that's not right...Magent_Man!

Exact same as the keychains from Triple Deluxe. There are rare stickers that are gold but in fixed locations. The bulk are blue stickers that are random, even though the game is very generous with dropping new ones. The sticker library in the menu will thankfully show hints as to what stage a particular gold sticker is which they didn't in TD.

They don't do anything other than be decals on the Robobot Armor (I'm running Masked Dedede on right arm and the kanji for "King" on the other. Already perfect.)

I just bring it up because getting all of them is required for 100% completion.

Id imagine there are some repeats but all of the ones I have so far are brand new...

Cool, that's what I was wondering.

The actual designs are mostly different--they're all illustrated images, not a lot of pixel art.

As collectibles, they function pretty much the same as keychains: some are random, some are hidden in fixed positions.

It looks like the stickers have more detail than the keychains did.

Exact same as the keychains from Triple Deluxe. There are rare stickers that are gold but in fixed locations. The bulk are blue stickers that are random, even though the game is very generous with dropping new ones. The sticker library in the menu will thankfully show hints as to what stage a particular gold sticker is which they didn't in TD.

They don't do anything other than be decals on the Robobot Armor (I'm running Masked Dedede on right arm and the kanji for "King" on the other. Already perfect.)

I just bring it up because getting all of them is required for 100% completion.

I'll keep that in mind. I still have a bunch of keychains left in TD.

I was thinking I'll try to collect everything in a level before moving onto the next one, although I am curious to try Meta Knight's mode, and I assume you have to beat the game for that.

Symtendo

Is this not available for purchase from the online PAL eShop? Was hoping to have it ready when I get home... Unusual!

Berordn

Do any of the amiibos unlock exclusive content, or can everything be earned in-game?

The Kirby series Kirby amiibo gives you access to UFO ability which is otherwise unavailable (and a totally imbalanced gamebreaker, like always). The other Kirby series amiibos give you unique costumes, but otherwise standard abilities.

Top Bottom