• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot | Review Thread

TheJoRu

Examiner - 5/5
Forbes - 9/10
Nintendo Life - 9/10
Nintendo World Report - 9/10
Wiitalia.it - 9/10
NintendOn.it - 9/10
Gamesvillage.it - 8.4/10
IGN.it - 8.1/10
IGN - 8.0/10
Game Informer - 8/10
Gamespot - 8/10
USgamer - 8/10
Attack of the Fanboy - 4/5
Everyeye.it - 8/10
Spaziogames.it - 8/10
App Trigger - 8/10
Destructoid - 7/10
TheSixthAxis - 7/10
GameXplain - Loved
TechnoBuffalo - Wait

Some quotes from a few of the reviews:

Forbes said:
Overall, this is a great platformer done better than most of the competition out there. If you have a 3DS then this is a necessary purchase, as it needs to be part of your gaming library.

Destructoid said:
While the robot motif comes in half-cocked, Planet Robobot is still a safe, serviceable Kirby game. After beating the story and reflecting on it, many elements felt like just going through the motions, but those motions haven't gotten stale yet after nearly 25 years.

Gamespot said:
Planet Robobot's meager difficulty may feel like a turn off at times, but it's not a reason to write it off. Once you spend time sampling the large selection of powers in each stage, taking in the detailed visuals, the catchy soundtrack, and exploring the wealth of extra modes on hand, you are so focused on the game's pervasive charm that you're looking forward to the next delightful surprise, rather than praying for a grueling test of skill. Planet Robobot is another great feather in Kirby's cap that shouldn't be overlooked.

Game Informer said:
Planet Robobot has not moved Kirby forward in any significant way, but it’s a well-made platformer that’s worth completing.

Opencritic - 82
Metacritic - 81

Will add more as they come, though I suspect many of the bigger gaming sites are too busy with other big games and preparations for E3 right now to care about poor old Kirby.

Galdius

After playing Triple Deluxe this year, I'm really looking forward to this.
I hope it is at least as good as Triple Deluxe.

Oh man I thought the game was coming out like tomorrow or on Friday I got excited. But good to know it's shaping up to be better than Triple Deluxe. I loved that game.

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks a ton for making the thread!

Any word in reviews as to whether any amiibo content is exclusive?

The special outfits you get when scanning the Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Waddle Dee amiibo are exclusive, but none of the powers are.

Onaco

I still haven't played Triple Deluxe yet. Hopefully an eShop sale can discount that. I only buy Nintendo games digitally.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is easily my most anticipated game of 2016 and may end up being my favorite game of 2016 once it's said and done.

Triple Deluxe was nothing short of amazing and this one apparently even improves on that. Holy shit. So hype.

maxcriden

amiibo just unlocks copy abilities that the game features.

There's no exclusive content.

The special outfits you get when scanning the Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Waddle Dee amiibo are exclusive, but none of the powers are.

Thanks Kinsei--any link to these?

One other thing. K3D had two main collectibles, keychains and sunstones. My understanding is Robobot has two similar kinds of collectibles. In the former game, keychains were mostly randomized so it could be tough to get a complete collection. Is that the same for this game?

NateDrake

One other thing. K3D had two main collectibles, keychains and sunstones. My understanding is Robobot has two similar kinds of collectibles. In the former game, keychains were mostly randomized so it could be tough to get a complete collection. Is that the same for this game?

I think stickers are randoms (I have multiples of some).

Kinsei

Banned

The costumes are all shown off in videos on the official site: https://kirby.nintendo.com/planet-robobot/amiibo/

As far as I know the stickers are random (aside from the rare ones) just like keychains were.

OmegaFax

There's three pieces ... like these special blocks, you collect in each stage. Collecting them all in the normal stages for each world unlocks a bonus stage.

maxcriden

The costumes are all shown off in videos on the official site: https://kirby.nintendo.com/planet-robobot/amiibo/

As far as I know the stickers are random (aside from the rare ones) just like keychains were.

I think stickers are randoms (I have multiples of some).

There's three pieces ... like these special blocks, you collect in each stage. Collecting them all in the normal stages for each world unlocks a bonus stage.

Thanks all! Jedi, what do you mean exactly by "three pieces"? Three collectibles, or the three blocks take the place of a sunstone...? Or do you mean a third collectible that is blocks, and getting all those gets a bonus level, whereas the sunstone replacement unlocks the boss per usual?

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks all! Jedi, what do you mean exactly by "three pieces"? Three collectibles, or the three blocks take the place of a sunstone...? Or do you mean a third collectible that is blocks, and getting all those gets a bonus level, whereas the sunstone replacement unlocks the boss per usual?

The blocks (code cubes) replace the sun stones. You need to collect enough to open the boss of a world and collecting all of them in all of a worlds levels will unlock that worlds secret level.

Thanks a ton for making the thread!

Any word in reviews as to whether any amiibo content is exclusive?

Closest thing is the UFO ability but once you get 100% complete rate, an enemy will appear at the "Ability Store" stage that you can copy for it. There's not much use for it at that point but that's the trade off I suppose.

Game's great and the armor shows up far more often than the Super Fruit in Triple Deluxe so you get to alternate playstyles a lot which keeps the game feeling fresh. Bosses except for near the end feel kind of dull though. It's crazy how there actually is lore in Kirby via the Boss descriptions.

The boxes are just IQ Cubes and function the same way as RTD's Energy Spheres and TD's Sun Stones. Get enough of them to access the boss, get all of them to access EX stages.

BTW, grind stage 1-4 for generic stickers. Short stage with four stickers and a fifth one if you're good at the end stage mini-game.

maxcriden

The blocks (code cubes) replace the sun stones. You need to collect enough to open the boss of a world and collecting all of them in all of a worlds levels will unlock that worlds secret level.

Closest thing is the UFO ability but once you get 100% complete rate, an enemy will appear at the "Ability Store" stage that you can copy for it. There's not much use for it at that point but that's the trade off I suppose.

Game's great and the armor shows up far more often than the Super Fruit in Triple Deluxe so you get to alternate playstyles a lot which keeps the game feeling fresh. Bosses except for the end stage feel kind of dull though. It's crazy how there actually is lore in Kirby via the Boss descriptions.

The boxes are just IQ Cubes and function the same way as RTD's Energy Spheres and TD's Sun Stones. Get enough of them to access the boss, get all of them to access EX stages.

BTW, grind stage 1-4 for generic stickers. Short stage with four stickers and a fifth one if you're good at the end stage mini-game.

Excellent, thanks so much to you both for the clarification. Sounds awesome as expected!

NateDrake

There are 3 Code Cubes in each level. If you earn all three from each stage you'll unlock an additional stage.

revyb

Neo Member
I gave it an 8/10 over at App Trigger.

Kirby Planet Robobot is a surprising gem of a game, one of the few on the 3DS to truly use the full range of the handheld’s 3D capabilities both for aesthetic and gameplay. Each level makes clever use of space to create unique visual puzzles, and Kirby’s wide range of copy abilities offers plenty of diverse and fun solutions. With plenty of replayability and tough, but forgiving challenges, Kirby Planet Robobot deserves your attention. Don’t put down that 3DS yet.

Hugstable

Banned
yay can't wait to get it, Kirby Triple Deluxe was one of my more favorite Kirby games since the SNES days :D

Also does anyone know if this has DX mode/DX bosses like Triple Deluxe?

woopWOOP

Seems like the mech bits are half-assedly sprinkled around like Triple Deluxe's Hypernova ability was, but I pretty much expected as much.

The rest is still good ol' 2D Kirby fun, so I'm definitely getting this day one.

OmegaFax

Excellent, thanks so much to you both for the clarification. Sounds awesome as expected!

Sorry I didn't clarify. My mind blanked out for a minute. I haven't played Triple Deluxe in a while and I forgot the exact name Robobot was using for those cubes. It looks like Robobot consistently uses three blocks for each stage. Triple Deluxe seemed to vary a bit with the Sunstones.

Edit: Whoops. Most levels average on 3. Still varies a bit depending on the stage.

I was on the fence about this a few weeks ago, figured it would be more of the same from Triple Deluxe. Not like that is a bad thing, after reading import impressions I held onto my preorder. Can't wait! Nice to see the reviews doing very well :)

Wondering if IGN will get the same guy who reviewed RTD (7.5/10) and Triple Deluxe (6/10) back to review this game. If so, reactions over his review score ought to be a hoot. :v

NateDrake

yay can't wait to get it, Kirby Triple Deluxe was one of my more favorite Kirby games since the SNES days :D

Also does anyone know if this has DX mode/DX bosses like Triple Deluxe?

It has Arena for the boss rush stuff.

Also the ESP copy ability is awesome.

fhqwhgads

Kirby, still standing as the most consistent franchise in video game history. Is there even remotely bad Kirby game?
The worst Kirby has ever been is "okay". Squeak Squad and Rainbow Curse stand out as the weakest ones, as well as Kirby 64 depending on who you ask.

Neiteio

Triple Deluxe was the first Kirby game I played that I considered legitimately great. This looks like that on steroids. Definitely interested.

Top Bottom