• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot | Review Thread

Looking forward to picking this game up when it releases

The Kirby series is too often taken for granted. How many other franchises are there with so many entries that are almost all consistently good?.

Kirby and HAL hardly seem to get the recognition they deserve sometimes

Looking forward to picking this game up when it releases

Kirby and HAL hardly seem to get the recognition they deserve sometimes

In retrospect, it actually might be HAL that has the best reputation overall for a Development Studio. When was the last time they made a bad game? And they made some of the greatest games ever in the Mother Series.

I've never been as happy with the Kirby franchise as I have been lately.

I only really loved Kirby's Adventure on the NES, but I wasn't terribly into any of the other Kirby games, including Kirby Super Star, Kirby 64, and the GBA/DS Kirby games. However, since Kirby: Return to Dreamland on the Wii, I have been absolutely in love with the series. I don't know what happened, but the games suddenly became extremely amazing out of nowhere.

I'm really looking forward to Planet Robobot, and I am looking forward to the crazy action, energetic moves, and interesting bosses, especially with the robot.

Also, I tried not to spoil myself with the music, but, well, it has amazing music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCLgF2dLhfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a_9RsVFHsI (edit: this is a remix of this from Dream Land 2)

I promised myself I would only listen to the soundtrack only once before actually playing the game, but it's hard, lol.

El Odio

Banned
Man it feels so good to have Kirby as my favorite franchise these past two gens. RtDL, Mass Attack, Triple Deluxe, and Rainbow Curse have all been fantastic entries to me and PR sounds to be even better. I can't wait especially since it comes out just in time for graduation.

Neiteio

Man it feels so good to have Kirby as my favorite franchise these past two gens. RtDL, Mass Attack, Triple Deluxe, and Rainbow Curse have all been fantastic entries to me and PR sounds to be even better. I can't wait especially since it comes out just in time for graduation.
I'm happy for you Kirby fans. Of all Nintendo franchises, you guys are spoiled with all of the great releases. :)

Katsuragi

The Kirby series is too often taken for granted. How many other franchises are there with so many entries that are almost all consistently good? There's only a few duds (Kirby Pinball, Air Ride, Mass Attack, and even those are pretty subjective).

What didn't you like about Mass Attack? I thought it was a pretty fun game and most critics seemed to like it as well.

Would this be a good first Kirby game to play?

Never really played them growing up, but have a 3ds and want to get a platform we to play everyone in a while.

BiggNife

Would this be a good first Kirby game to play?

Never really played them growing up, but have a 3ds and want to get a platform we to play everyone in a while.

Kirby is very much like Mario where you can easily jump into any game in the series without prior experience and get the hang of things really quickly

I would say get Robobot and if you like it, get Triple Deluxe too

Sol1dus

I never played Return to Dreamland but Nightmare in Dreamland is my favorite Kirby game. Excited to play this. I still haven't played through the bonus stuff in Triple Deluxe

@MUWANdo

Banned
question to someone that played it, how would you compare it to return to dreamland?

Does it reach the same highs or even surpass them?

Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot are all very similar but Robobot has been my favourite of the three, easily.

Dice//

Banned
Argh I haven't felt the same 'magic' with recent Kirby games, but I'm still likely down for each title.

Damn didn't realize this game came out. Went under the radar. This thread didn't have many posts nor were there any other threads hyping the release.

Same thing with Mirror's Edge 2.

CoolS

Will there be an OT for this. Looks like Amazon is in a good mood and I will be getting this one day early, so today. Looking forward to it especially since I skipped on Triple Deluxe.

My preorder arrived yesterday... to the wrong address. Supposedly I will receive it today (my parents have it due to GAME messing my old address), but damn, it would have been cool to play it a few days before release.

alienator

Absolutely love tripple deluxe and planet roboto.

Wish they made games like that on my wii-u... canvas curse was horrible ;/

AdanVC

Absolutely love tripple deluxe and planet roboto.

Wish they made games like that on my wii-u... canvas curse was horrible ;/

Yeah the 3DS already had Triple Deluxe don't know why they went ahead and made ANOTHER game pretty similar to TD on 3DS. This would have been perfect if it was on Wii U but I guess it was easier to make it on 3DS and reuse all the assets from TD... Sometimes I simply don't understand the way Nintendo takes decisions when making new games.

BTA

I haven't played Kirby games in a good long while, and even though I've always loved them I didn't expect scores this high, huh. Good to hear that it turned out well!

I didn't play Triple Deluxe so I'm even extra looking forward to this.

Didn't realize so many people disliked Rainbow Curse. I thought it was a pretty damn good game, replayed it twice. It's got a fun mechanic that I really haven't experiences elsewhere, music is on point, graphics are colorful, challenge mode is sweet, etc. 8/10 game right there, better than Epic Yarn.

Yeah the 3DS already had Triple Deluxe don't know why they went ahead and made ANOTHER game pretty similar to TD on 3DS. This would have been perfect if it was on Wii U but I guess it was easier to make it on 3DS and reuse all the assets from TD... Sometimes I simply don't understand the way Nintendo takes decisions when making new games.

I'd imagine the only reason the game exists is because it reuses so many assets and the engine from TD and could make a good return on investment.

I'd rather take a good, low budget Kirby game over a lot of alternatives.

What didn't you like about Mass Attack? I thought it was a pretty fun game and most critics seemed to like it as well.

Mass Attack was a lot of fun at points, but corralling your Kirbys to go for medals could be frustrating, and some levels were a slog. It felt too long to me, but I think that's because levels could drag sometimes.

Hugstable

Banned

Kirby TD sold very well on 3DS, especially in Japan, not a surprise that they would want to get another out on the 3DS when it's performing much better in JP than the Wii U is.

Robin64

My copy arrived! Wasn't expecting it til tomorrow, so that's nice. Few chores to do first (boo adult life) but then I am spending the evening with this little gem.

NateDrake

Because the 3DS base is 5-6x larger than the Wii U, and Kirby will sell more copies on 3DS as a result. They used the same engine as Triple Deluxe, so development costs were likely low, and they'll make a good profit by releasing it on 3DS. Pretty smart business decision.

Top Bottom