• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot | Review Thread

Expecting this to be just as good as, if not better than, Triple Deluxe. Soooo hyped.
Played it all and it is pretty much a better version of Triple Deluxe. I think of you like TD, you will like PR.
Seems like the mech bits are half-assedly sprinkled around like Triple Deluxe's Hypernova ability was, but I pretty much expected as much.

The rest is still good ol' 2D Kirby fun, so I'm definitely getting this day one.
I disagree a bit. The mechanic is really well done in normal stages having to use wits to get cubes using the robot. The puzzle elements with the robot are quite good.
However, they drop on the part of battles with the robot. You got only 1 type of mini-boss and nothing really changes. They could have made a robot boss fight but instead they
recycle a Kirby 64 boss in that section
Robot was way more clever than Hyper because you need a robot + power to cut a chain for example.

I'd put TD behind Super Star and Return to Dreamland, so with Robobot being better that easily slots the game in for at least 3rd best in the series. That's good stuff.

Wait? Wait for what??

Yoshi's New Island was released 2 years ago and wasn't good, so what?
It is insulting to even compare this great game to whatever New Island was. Trainwreck maybe?
I'd put TD behind Super Star and Return to Dreamland, so with Robobot being better that easily slots the game in for at least 3rd best in the series. That's good stuff.
You are gonna like one of the extra modes then.
It's a boss rush of RtD bosses.

Revven

Excited for another Kirby platformer, glad it's reviewing well! Will definitely likely pick up as soon as I can. :)

Kouriozan

It's good to be a Kirby fan, Returns to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe and now this being good, I'm really pleased.
Long live to Kirby ^(°o°)^

Kirby: Triple Deluxe I found rather excellent, probably my second favorite Kirby game. That this one seems to be along the same lines as far as its reception goes has me pretty excited.

Kirby, still standing as the most consistent franchise in video game history. Is there even remotely bad Kirby game?

I think Kirby Air Ride is garbage. It has its defenders but it is at the very bottom as far as review average for Kirby games. I think Kirby is consistent in the sense it is consistently "ok". I know it will be pretty good at least, and occasionally they exceed my expectations, but usually I get an ok 7/10 experience like Rainbow Curse or Epic Yarn or Mass Attack or Amazing Mirror or 64, or sometimes a 6/10 like Squeak Squad or Dreamland 3. Triple Deluxe was above average for Kirby though, so I'm looking forward to this.

I enjoyed Rainbow Curse well enough. It doesn't reach the highs of Canvas Curse but it succeeded enough to barely scrape an 8 in my eyes. I was really fond of the humor and music present, too.

Air Ride was great. The titular mode is flawed but I loved the control scheme and spent many afternoons setting time trial records (also good god the course aesthetics). Top Ride and City Trial, however, are legit (and Smash Run is SO a worthy successor!).

It's good to be a Kirby fan, Returns to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe and now this being good, I'm really pleased.
Long live to Kirby ^(°o°)^

Yup, past six years have been quite kind to Kirby. Can't wait to see where he goes next. :)

maxcriden

Sorry I didn't clarify. My mind blanked out for a minute. I haven't played Triple Deluxe in a while and I forgot the exact name Robobot was using for those cubes. It looks like Robobot consistently uses three blocks for each stage. Triple Deluxe seemed to vary a bit with the Sunstones.

Edit: Whoops. Most levels average on 3. Still varies a bit depending on the stage.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

Just finished my import copy last week and it's my favorite Kirby game by far. Its final moments are some of the most exciting I've had in any Nintendo game. Was pleasantly surprised by this game's energy and creativity.

mjc

The only Kirby game I've loved was Canvas Curse...how's the difficulty in this one? Most Kirby games are too easy for me. :(

The only Kirby game I've loved was Canvas Curse...how's the difficulty in this one? Most Kirby games are too easy for me. :(

It's standard Kirby difficulty - definitely too easy. I did have to try the final boss a few times, though, which was a nice change of pace.

Oh and use the D-Pad when using the robot's screwdrivers. My slide pad fell off during one of the last stages (it was an old 3DS and the slide pad damaged when I tried some shit pad covers back when Smash 4 dropped).

Maxinas

Story mode is pretty easy, not much has changed from previous kirby games
epic final boss as always:p

The extra modes like True Arena however, are pretty difficult, so if you enjoy boss battles, this game is phenomenal.

Any of y'all calling triple deluxe boring should be ashamed, it's a top 5 Kirby game. Yeah Hypernova was a gimmick but the implementation during a few key segments in the second half of the game was great (you all know what I mean here.)

Can't wait, I've heard and seen some really good shit out of this new one.

It might have been had there been any actual interaction in the main game

Interaction as in...with other players?

Considering how minimal interaction was in City Trial (at least for me, anyway; I often lent myself to my own devices), I don't see it as a big loss. The addiction of making your character stronger and stronger is still just as thrilling.

Only thing I'd knock against it is the lack of an options menu and that's it. I'd love to see them iterate upon it again in a future Smash--by far my favorite "exclusive" mode in the series.

Puruzi

Banned
From all that i've spoiled myself on and seen, this might be the best traditional kirby game since super star ultra.

From all that i've spoiled myself on and seen, this might be the best traditional kirby game since super star ultra.

Yer damn right.

14910.gif

Interaction as in...with other players?

Considering how minimal interaction was in City Trial (at least for me, anyway; I often lent myself to my own devices), I don't see it as a big loss. The addiction of making your character stronger and stronger is still just as thrilling.

There was lots of interaction in Kirby Air Ride, even if it wasn't direct physical contact. The entire thing is a resource-race, so grabbing some at one location deprives others of having it, which is most noticeable during the special events. Then there's the whole switching vehicles aspect, and of course the battling. It all ties together in a way that Smash Run didn't.

Smash Run basically the Time Trial version of City Trial

3rdEdge

Triple Deluxe might just be my favorite Kirby game so I was already on board for Robobot, but seeing it being reviewed so well has me more excited for it. Can't wait to play it!

There was lots of interaction in Kirby Air Ride, even if it wasn't direct physical contact. The entire thing is a resource-race, so grabbing some at one location deprives others of having it, which is most noticeable during the special events. Then there's the whole switching vehicles aspect, and of course the battling. It all ties together in a way that Smash Run didn't.

Smash Run basically the Time Trial version of City Trial

It's one thing if you feel an element of it was lost, but they both operate on different gameplay mechanics so I find they "tie together" in different ways. I personally found customizing characters solely for the mode to be just as interesting as using different vehicles (which powers goes best with which character?).

Kudos on bringing the first genuine piece of criticism I've seen against it that isn't "argh it's bad", though.

It's one thing if you feel an element of it was lost, but they both operate on different gameplay mechanics so I find they "tie together" in different ways. I personally found customizing characters solely for the mode to be just as interesting as using different vehicles (which powers goes best with which character?).

Kudos on bringing the first genuine piece of criticism I've seen against it that isn't "argh it's bad", though.

Sure, I was just explaining why I didn't find it to be a worthy successor--it missed our on what made it great, imo. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

gerudoman

I find this high praise a bit surprising, to be honest. I've yet to play the EX levels and the unlockable modes but so far I've found the level design to be subpar and unremarkable, and collectable's placement a bit unimaginative.

It's been some time since I played Triple Deluxe but I do remember it left a much better taste in my mouth, but I'm glad others are enoying it more than me.

The Kirby series is too often taken for granted. How many other franchises are there with so many entries that are almost all consistently good? There's only a few duds (Kirby Pinball, Air Ride, Mass Attack, and even those are pretty subjective).

I preferred RtD over TD but that's mainly due to coop and Waddle Dee being playable. I'm going to be buying this day one with all the new amiibos for sure.

The great scores are not surprising, but they are still good to see. I'll get to this one sometime after I've actually started and completed my copy of Triple Deluxe. That could be a long time.

I won't be getting it day one, so I hope other people can help the game do well.

Top Bottom