• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - New Trailer

ILikeFeet

Banned
51ezfLbdDcL.jpg

a crying teddy bear. FUUUUUUUUUUCK! the game is too cute!

.la1n

PSGames said:
I would love to see this Graphics engine used for a new Yoshi's Island. Game looks amazing.

i'd rather they used the yoshi's story engine updated slightly.

WillyFive

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The Wii is on a roll right now. SMG2, S&P2, Other M, Epic Yarn, and DKC Returns are a godly combo. Too bad Nintendo let things slip for so long before pulling their act together. I don't know if hardware sales will ever recover, but this year's library is certainly deserving.

Hardware sales?

Willy105 said:
Hardware sales?

They haven't been as high as they've been in the past, especially in other regions like Japan. Sure they've been good, but just, not as good. They could be doing better.

I feel like this game is getting more hype just because of it's graphics. Sort of disappoints me in some regards. Hopefully the actual game is fun. I don't know, I just don't like it when whenever a game comes out that has a completely original art style people go gaga over it without really knowing anything. Go crazy because it's Nintendo.

Boney

Banned
VGChampion said:
I feel like this game is getting more hype just because of it's graphics. Sort of disappoints me in some regards. Hopefully the actual game is fun. I don't know, I just don't like it when whenever a game comes out that has a completely original art style people go gaga over it without really knowing anything. Go crazy because it's Nintendo.
The levels look incredibly ingenious. Plenty of powerups, and co-op. Not to mention it's being developed by Good Feel, who did an incredible job with Wario Land Shake It.

Cipherr

VGChampion said:

Its not like this happens all the time, not for a Wii game at least.... I cant even recall the last time a Wii game had any hype for its graphics. Considering this is like the first, perhaps you could let it slide?

VGChampion said:
Well, you probably won't like to hear this, but even if the game ends up totally sub-par, I will likely enjoy it on art-style alone.

upandaway

VGChampion said:
Good Feel level design

that is all

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, you probably won't like to hear this, but even if the game ends up totally sub-par, I will likely enjoy it on art-style alone.

Which is, believe it or not, totally OK!

Bear

VGChampion said:

I wasn't hyped for the game until I saw the teaser that showed off what looked like brilliant level design, tons of cool powers, co-op and great music. Even though the graphics are great, it was everything else in combination with that which got me interested.

(._.)

Banned
I loved the "video games will never be the same" theme to that trailer. I have been saying that about this game since E3. Day one purchase for me.

VGChampion said:

Normally, I'd agree with you, but I think what's exciting about this game is that the art style is intrinsic to the gameplay. Form = content and all that.

The trailers have done an excellent job in showing how the yarn motif informs the gameplay. Snapping away buttons to alter level design, going underneath the cloth of the level, using the yarn-arm to swing from buttons and grab items, unraveling Kirby himself to fit into areas, various yarn transformations (dolphin, car, mech, firetruck), and so on.

So you've got all those features that we've seen coupled with a Good Feel x Nintendo production. I don't think it's quite analogous to something like the Epic Mickey reveal, which was all fluff for months. We've seen a lot about how the Kirby art style befits the mechanics of the game itself. At least that's why I'm hyped.

So Kirby wanted to eat(inhale) a yarn tomato. A evil wizard(?) appears and puts Kirby into yarn-world which happens to be in a freaking sock the wizard wears as necklace?
:lol
holy shit...the story is pure nintendo magic

this is my most anticipated game right now
<3

Mik2121

iamaustrian said:
So Kirby wanted to eat(inhale) a yarn tomato. A evil wizard(?) appears and puts Kirby into yarn-world which happens to be in a freaking sock the wizard wears as necklace?
:lol
holy shit...the story is pure nintendo magic

this is my most anticipated game right now
<3
Basically. The tomato isn't yarn though, it's a normal tomato. And the evil wizard is the owner of said tomato.

sinxtanx

Mik2121 said:
Basically. The tomato isn't yarn though, it's a normal tomato. And the evil wizard is the owner of said tomato.
He must REALLY like that tomato then
Vengeance is tenfold
sorry

Mik2121 said:

no!
in the trailer you can see that the tomato is the only thing made of yarn. the rest(at least till the wizard appears) is normal cartoon or some sort of papercut

Mik2121

iamaustrian said:
no!
in the trailer you can see that the tomato is the only thing made of yarn. the rest(at least till the wizard appears) is normal cartoon or some sort of papercut
Oh, my bad then :p But yeah, anyway, the wizard is the owner of the tomato.

I posted a transcription of the Japanese announcer in the other thread.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mik2121 said:
You are only assuming he is evil. It may turn out Price Puff's father is the true evil one, which the Yarn Wizard guy was using his magic sock to stop!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drkirby said:
You are only assuming he is evil. It may turn out Price Puff's father is the true evil one, which the Yarn Wizard guy was using his magic sock to stop!
But dude, that would contradict the continuity of some obscure Kirby manga published 12 years ago.

I'm still going with Kirby as the evil one. Although I wonder what the Yarn Wizard thinks about the Arizona immigration law.

Jackano

shwimpy said:
The phoenix looks amazing...

Most Innovative -vg chartz made me :lol
Me too! The best graphics by gametrailers has been retired, i think too.

Nintendo probably gave this trailer to do to a marketing trainee. :lol

Top Bottom