• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitten foots

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
No pics? Shame on you. SHAME I SAY
Yeah,
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Catphish

Well I don't own them yet. They're being delivered to the shelter tomorrow. Then it's first come, first served.

From what I hear, there's been a lot of interest in this litter. So, I plan to get there early to get first pick.

If I get them, there will be pics. :)

Mistake

Donā€™t !! Pets are awful! Lol. Cats pee and shit all over if they are any bit feeling funny about about anything.

I have 2 old cats and one dog and they have destroyed my home.
No offense, but this says more about you as an owner than the pets. With cats, bathroom issues can range from declaw complications, type of litter, bad location of the box, when they were neutered, etc. Dogs scratching up things is harder to avoid if you have them inside. Sure you can clip their nails, but eh.

Kittens take time OP, and might be frustrating for a bit, but they mature quick. Remember to get some scratching mats when they get old enough, like ones youā€™d put on your doorstep. It could take a few weeks to know whether or not they will use them, and you might have try a different type if they donā€™t like it. Will save your house some damage though. Same with scratching posts. Jackson Galaxy on YouTube has a lot of good information on cats, even if he creeps me out

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No offense, but this says more about you as an owner than the pets. With cats, bathroom issues can range from declaw complications, type of litter, bad location of the box, when they were neutered, etc. Dogs scratching up things is harder to avoid if you have them inside. Sure you can clip their nails, but eh.

Kittens take time OP, and might be frustrating for a bit, but they mature quick. Remember to get some scratching mats when they get old enough, like ones youā€™d put on your doorstep. It could take a few weeks to know whether or not they will use them, and you might have try a different type if they donā€™t like it. Will save your house some damage though. Same with scratching posts. Jackson Galaxy on YouTube has a lot of good information on cats, even if he creeps me out
Iā€™m a great cat owner! You donā€™t know me!
They get two full bowls of diarrhea a day and I let them out of their 20 x 8 box at least twice a week.

Catphish

Just to be clear, these wouldn't be my first cats. I had them in my life for the first 35 years of it. But my ex-wife was allergic, hence the lapse.

I know all about them, how to raise them, how to train them. This will hopefully be a blissful reunion.

I know all about the positives and negatives. I'm good to go. Though I will miss not having hair on everything...

AJUMP23

I have cats that wander onto my porch everyday because the previous owner use to feed them. I wish they would leave.

Mistake

Just to be clear, these wouldn't be my first cats. I had them in my life for the first 35 years of it. But my ex-wife was allergic, hence the lapse.

I know all about them, how to raise them, how to train them. This will hopefully be a blissful reunion.

I know all about the positives and negatives. I'm good to go. Though I will miss not having hair on everything...
This is why I get longhair cats. It balls up and it's easier to clean.

Just cut 2mm off of the tips of there claws fortnightly. Harmless to them and saves your future and limbs.

jxfrcKd.jpg

Don't do this please.
Cats are reliant on their claws, even indoors. If you have an outdoor cat it is even worse, they need their claws to defend themselves, hunt, climb up trees and exercise.

Claws are an important part of their identity. Don't get an animal if your precious furniture is more important or you're too much of a pussy (pun intended) and afraid of a few cat scratches.

Donā€™t !! Pets are awful! Lol. Cats pee and shit all over if they are any bit feeling funny about about anything.

I have 2 old cats and one dog and they have destroyed my home.
Multiple litter boxes generally fixes soiling outside of the litter tray. I've four open top litter boxes cleaned daily scattered around my house, so my two don't go territorial.

Don't do this please.
Cats are reliant on their claws, even indoors. If you have an outdoor cat it is even worse, they need their claws to defend themselves, hunt, climb up trees and exercise.

Claws are an important part of their identity. Don't get an animal if your precious furniture is more important or you're too much of a pussy (pun intended) and afraid of a few cat scratches.
Mine are indoor cats and they're perfectly fine with 2mm taken fortnightly, even my vet says it's safe to do so. It's not like declawing, now that's cruel and unnecessary something that is banned in the UK thankfully.

I literally cut this amount off, it's harmless and they have no problem scrambling up there cat trees.

hTFiRll.jpg

Mine are indoor cats and they're perfectly fine with 2mm taken fortnightly, even my vet says it's safe to do so. It's not like declawing, now that's cruel and unnecessary something that is banned in the UK thankfully.

I literally cut this amount off, it's harmless and they have no problem scrambling up there cat trees.

hTFiRll.jpg

Not letting your cat outside, is also not cool. I've owned cats (and dogs) my whole life, never had a problem with their claws.

Not letting your cat outside, is also not cool. I've owned cats (and dogs) my whole life, never had a problem with their claws.
Agree to disagree. I've a large house and they go out in the garden with me and my partner. I've lost count of horror stories about cats being hit by cars and going missing from friends and relatives etc. If they were rescued or previously went outside I would agree but I've had them since kittens. Statistically house cats live longer to.

Dr Bass

Sorry no, letting your cats out is dangerous to them. Predators, vehicles, idiot people, not to mention things like getting fleas etc. Most places you adopt from that actually care will tell you the cats should be kept indoors at all times for their own health and safety. You just need to play with them, take care of them properly etc. They will be happy and frisky.

What about no?
Nothing wrong at all with trimming your cats nails. Do you cut your nails? This is not declawing which is cruel and should be outlawed, frankly.

Sorry no, letting your cats out is dangerous to them. Predators, vehicles, idiot people, not to mention things like getting fleas etc. Most places you adopt from that actually care will tell you the cats should be kept indoors at all times for their own health and safety. You just need to play with them, take care of them properly etc. They will be happy and frisky.

That is completely untrue.

Cats are animals, they need to be outside and do cat things, like hunting, socializing with other cats, be in nature, and have new stimulus etc...
Indoor cats are known to display severe behavioral disturbances. Yeah they might be "safer", but they are usually bored to death and far from happy.

GymWolf

Nothing wrong at all with trimming your cats nails. Do you cut your nails? This is not declawing which is cruel and should be outlawed, frankly.
It still sound unnecessary.

I eat my fingernails btw, but not in a compulsive kinda of way, they look trimmed, i'm very skilled with my biting technique šŸ•ŗ

Dr Bass

Cats are animals, they need to be outside and do cat things, like hunting, socializing with other cats, be in nature, and have new stimulus etc...
Indoor cats are known to display severe behavioral disturbances. Yeah they might be "safer", but they are usually bored to death and far from happy.
Dude you have no idea what you're talking about.

Cats are NOT "social creatures" unless they are already friendly with certain cats. They are highly territorial and will OFTEN get in fights (which they can be severely injured from or even fatally wounded!) if left to roam outside. I have had several cats throughout my life and not a single one exhibited "severe behavioral disturbances." Not a single one. And they were/are absolutely happy.

This info goes on and on. Vets, places like The Humane Society, cat rescue groups, ALL say keep your cats inside for their health and safety. Again, all you have to do is play with them daily. My cats get simulated hunting on a daily basis. They are the happiest, most spoiled pets I've ever seen. You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this.

Dr Bass

It still sound unnecessary.

I eat my fingernails btw, but not in a compulsive kinda of way, they look trimmed, i'm very skilled with my biting technique šŸ•ŗ
It's maybe not "necessary" but it depends on how much your cats are destroying things and if you are ok with that. Again trimming is totally, totally fine, and often recommended. It's not declawing like I said, which is a barbaric practice. For the record, I don't trim my cats nails. And even though they have multiple trees, scratchers, etc. the corners of my couches are still shredded. :messenger_grinning_smiling: But that's just part of owning a cat IMO. It's their house too after all, I can't expect to bring them in and not act on their instincts.

GymWolf

That's the reason why i'm never gonna have a cat.

I would be scared shitless of him being run over by a car or attacked by some other animals when he is outside and i can't control it, but i can't close his balls inside 4 walls neither.

tommolb

My male cat goes crackers if you keep him in. He gets aggressive and takes it out on my other cat and me. He's the sort of cat that needs to go outside to get rid of his energy and frustrations. He's been neutered.

Catphish

These guys will be indoor cats, and I will not touch their claws. That's what cat trees and scratch posts are for.

However, I do have a 30' clothesline between two poles in the yard. When they're older I'll prolly collar 'em up and let them leash along the clothesline now and then.

But, no, they will not ever be let loose outside. I got dogs on both sides of me, and a school across the street.

The clothesline is as good as it'll get.

These guys will be indoor cats, and I will not touch their claws. That's what cat trees and scratch posts are for.

However, I do have a 30' clothesline between two poles in the yard. When they're older I'll prolly collar 'em up and let them leash along the clothesline now and then.

But, no, they will not ever be let loose outside. I got dogs on both sides of me, and a school across the street.

The clothesline is as good as it'll get.
I've had my cats for fourteen years now and I love them dearly,.

90% of the time they'll go to there scratching posts, but other times they'll pull the carpet up on the stairs or claw the sofas. I've hardwood flooring throughout my home so that is one problem solved.

My veterinarian showed me how to safely take off 2mm off of there claws, which eradicates any damage to the home and causes them no pain or discomfort and yet there claws are still sharp enough for them to climb up there cat trees.

Catphish

I've had my cats for fourteen years now and I love them dearly,.

90% of the time they'll go to there scratching posts, but other times they'll pull the carpet up on the stairs or claw the sofas. I've hardwood flooring throughout my home so that is one problem solved.

My veterinarian showed me how to safely take off 2mm off of there claws, which eradicates any damage to the home and causes them no pain or discomfort and yet there claws are still sharp enough for them to climb up there cat trees.
I do have some new furniture I'm concerned about, but that's what spray bottles of water are for. :messenger_sunglasses:

edit: i don't mind the claws. But we'll see. Ultimately, as long as they're not eating or clawing the house, I think I'm good. To me, if you're gonna own cats, ultimately, furniture has to be expendable.

Last edited:
I do have some new furniture I'm concerned about, but that's what spray bottles of water are for. :messenger_sunglasses:
My guys aren't bothered by spray bottles they like water lol. Between them and I'm not exaggerating they've probably done 7k worth of damage in my previous home. I mounted a Pioneer KRP600M KURO Plasma on the wall and they would leap up onto the top of the tv and there was nothing I could do about it, the screen looked like someone dragged a screw driver over the surface.

I had a four seater leather sofa and two leather two seater sofas. They pissed all over them. Have you seen the film alien? The face huggers blood would melt through surfaces! Well my cats urine eat away through the leather and it was fucking horrendous.

I've learnt alot over the years, like no leather furniture, no mounting tvs on walls and absolutely no carpet except for stairs. Bengals are lunatics!

Js8gEe3.jpg

Last edited:

Catphish

My guys aren't bothered by spray bottles they like water lol. Between them and I'm not exaggerating they've probably done 7k worth of damage in my previous home. I mounted a Pioneer KRP600M KURO Plasma on the wall and they would leap up onto the top of the tv and there was nothing I could do about it, the screen looked like someone dragged a screw driver over the surface.

I had a four seater leather sofa and two leather two seater sofas. They pissed all over them. Have you seen the film alien? The face huggers blood would melt through surfaces! Well my cats urine eat away through the leather and it was fucking horrendous.

I've learnt alot over the years, like no leather furniture, no mounting tvs on walls and absolutely no carpet except for stairs. Bengals are lunatics!

Js8gEe3.jpg
Huh. I was thinking of mounting a tv, too...

Hmm...

Cats are NOT "social creatures" unless they are already friendly with certain cats. They are highly territorial and will OFTEN get in fights (which they can be severely injured from or even fatally wounded!) if left to roam outside. I have had several cats throughout my life and not a single one exhibited "severe behavioral disturbances." Not a single one. And they were/are absolutely happy.

Everybody can quickly google a few articles of questionable quality to suit his opinion.

Keeping cats indoors prevents them from hunting, roaming, marking and patrolling their territory, exploring and climbing. Indoor cats often suffer from extreme boredom, hence why they keep attacking your indoor furniture. Indoor cats are also more likely to suffer form abnormal behavior:

Few studies have focused on cats in the home, the environment in which most behavioural disorders are expressed. Secondly, cats' chemical senses (olfactory and vomeronasal) are far more sensitive than our own, making it difficult for owners or clinicians to fully comprehend the sensory information upon which they base their behaviour. Thirdly, although the concept of psychological distress is widely invoked as an intervening variable in behavioural disorders, there are still no reliable measures of distress for pet cats in the home. Global importance: Psychological distress of some kind is the primary cause of many of the behavioural problems presented to clinicians, but surveys indicate that many more cats display the same clinical signs without their owners ever seeking help. The welfare of this 'invisible' group could be improved by veterinarians taking a more proactive approach to educating their clients about the behavioural needs of pet cats.

Indoor cats are also more likely to suffer from obesity and diabetes.

The final multivariable logistic regression model identified two risk factors that were independently associated with an increased risk of feline obesity developing at 12.5-13 months of age: restricted or no outdoor access and feeding dry food as the only or major (>50%) type of food in the diet at age 12.5-13 months.

Indoor cats also suffer from a wide range of disease that war much less prevalent in outdoor cats:

An increased number of Australian households now contain multiple cats that live restricted or indoor lifestyles. Despite the majority of respondents claiming to have a lot of knowledge about cats and obtaining veterinary advice, deficiencies were identified in toileting facilities and feeding practices, which raises significant welfare concerns. Urinary tract disorders are an important cause of morbidity, mortality and relinquishment and its presence was associated with inadequate toileting facilities.

Here is another study coming to the same conclusions:

The paper reports that confined cats had significantly more behavioural problems than free-roaming cats; that a smaller proportion of the free-roaming cats suffered from the behavioural problems investigated; and that entire cats had significantly more behavioural problems than neutered cats. Finally, significantly more purebred cats than domestic shorthair cats were found to have diseases. Being confined, living as an intact female and being purebred are therefore significant risk factors for behavioural or health problems associated with reduced welfare in privately owned cats

Here's another:

Cats without outdoor access showed significantly more behaviour problems than those with outdoor access (Ļ‡2 = 31.85; p < 0.001)...

Anxiety and scratching of furniture are also way more common for cats who are being kept indoors.

States of anxiety and scratching on furniture caused relatively fewer attempts to correct the behaviour than other problems. In many cases the owners were unable to solve the problems on their own. These findings show that there are deficiencies in indoor cat housing and that owners need help to correct them.

Cats scratching your furniture is most likely a sing of bad feline care, too many cats in a single household or insufficient environmental stimuli. I never had a problem with cats scratching and destroying my furniture or my TV.

Lastly, indoor cats seems to be an American thing, because here in Europe it is very frowned upon. For example, You will not get a cat from an animal shelter if you're unwilling to let them outside (except in the rare cases that the cat has been raised as an indoor cat by their previous owner).

In Europe, cats have been a free-ranging part of our society for thousands of years, and it seems "normal" for them to come and go as they please. Most people feel uncomfortable with the idea of cats being kept indoors, in the same way as they don't like rabbits being confined to small hutches or birds in tiny cages.

In other cultures, such as North America and Australasia, cats are relative newcomers to the local ecosystem. If cats are allowed outside, their hunting behaviour can have a serious impact on the native animal and bird population. The majority view is that for the sake of local wildlife, cat owners should keep their pets indoors. People who allow their cats to roam outside are often seen as irresponsible.

In essence, you want to save your precious furniture? Let your cats go outside!

Last edited:
Top Bottom