• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitten foots

Lone Wolf

Everybody can quickly google a few articles of questionable quality to suit his opinion.

Keeping cats indoors prevents them from hunting, roaming, marking and patrolling their territory, exploring and climbing. Indoor cats often suffer from extreme boredom, hence why they keep attacking your indoor furniture. Indoor cats are also more likely to suffer form abnormal behavior:

Indoor cats are also more likely to suffer from obesity and diabetes.

Indoor cats also suffer from a wide range of disease that war much less prevalent in outdoor cats:

Here is another study coming to the same conclusions:

Here's another:

Anxiety and scratching of furniture are also way more common for cats who are being kept indoors.

Cats scratching your furniture is most likely a sing of bad feline care, too many cats in a single household or insufficient environmental stimuli. I never had a problem with cats scratching and destroying my furniture or my TV.

Lastly, indoor cats seems to be an American thing, because here in Europe it is very frowned upon. For example, You will not get a cat from an animal shelter if you're unwilling to let them outside (except in the rare cases that the cat has been raised as an indoor cat by their previous owner).

In essence, you want to save your precious furniture? Let your cats go outside!
Just to let you know, your outdoor cats are at risk if they come in my yard. My dog will attempt to kill any cat that enters.

bro are you asking for feet pics?
Cat feet pictures?

DWz8XUn.gif

Liljagare

Have had cats since the 80's, never had one that had issues with being a inside kittie. They get to do everything inside that they would do outside, with the added bonus of not getting run over by a car, eaten by a fox, eaten by a lynx, nor do they kill 5000 birds and other small animals during their lifetime.

It's wierd to think that we are getting up to our last few, almost all of them have lived 20+ years, so the next rescues might be the last. :eek: The current ones are 11.

Have had cats since the 80's, never had one that had issues with being a inside kittie. They get to do everything inside that they would do outside, with the added bonus of not getting run over by a car, eaten by a fox, eaten by a lynx, nor do they kill 5000 birds and other small animals during their lifetime.

It's wierd to think that we are getting up to our last few, almost all of them have lived 20+ years, so the next rescues might be the last. :eek: The current ones are 11.
We've got an indoor cat - she's only a year old, but she seems happy, no issues so far. She costs a grand, so if we did let her out where I live she'd either be stoken within a couple of days, or at least get fucked up by the local hardened moggies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We've got an indoor cat - she's only a year old, but she seems happy, no issues so far. She costs a grand, so if we did let her out where I live she'd either be stoken within a couple of days, or at least get fucked up by the local hardened moggies.
We're in the process of designing some additions to the house. Going to try and build some kind of outdoor walkway for them and a caged area where they can sunbathe. These are just some of the ideas we've been looking at.

cat-catio-279657.jpg
diy-catio-spaces-2000.jpg

black-aluminum-frame-hexagonal-cat-enclosure-with-cat-tree-inside-it-613x817.jpg
a-cat-enclosure-looks-wonderful-with-its-natural-feel-from-the-grass-flooring-and-live-tree-inside-it-613x460.jpg

StormCell

Keep your cats indoor. A car hit and killed my fluff monster 4 and a half years ago. There is a hole in my heart, I think about him everyday. He was my first and only pet.

KyHu1Iz.jpg

His name was Oreo

I'm sorry, Max_Po. I've a similar hole. It never really fills. I just have my dog Pepper with me wherever I go. Pepper disappeared about 23 years ago. That dog had survived being shot by our neighbor who had farm. Tough dog. I do have a dog in my life today, Nova. Nova will never be Pepper and vice versa, but both are/were excellent friends to have. I hope that some day you will have a new animal friend. Cats and dogs are awesome critters with alarmingly unique personalities.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Weird. Sometimes shelters have cat "bonded pairs" that they ONLY let people adopt as a pair. Might ask around for those.

Blade2.0

sadness :(

I drive an hour, wait an hour in the cold, get let in, pick the two I want, only to be told I can only take one.

Never was that made known to me ahead of time.

Absolute gut punch. :(

*sigh*

Well, keep posting those cat pics. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute soon.
As someone suggested, remember to look for bonded pairs if you'd like two at the same time. Try looking for cat cafes in your area, they help get shelter cats adopted as well.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love cats, but I’m highly allergic so I could never let them sleep in my bed with me and I hated it. It’s for that reason after my latest cat died I said no more pets for me ever again. The pain of losing pets is indescribable and I still have not gotten over losing either cat, years later. Between that and the allergies, I’ll never own another pet again in my life.

If you’re wondering why I ever did in the first place because of my allergies… weirdly, both cats I had at first were supposed to be me just “watching” a kitten for someone and both times I ended up keeping them because they really took to me. Animals for some reason really love me. Every time I go over someone’s house with animals, even if it’s a large group of people, the pets always single me out and are all over me.

Liljagare

Have to agree on the pain of loosing pets. Each time it happens, I have always said, cant do it again.

Then a few weeks passes, and the house is silent. Nobody comes and greets you after work, nobody snuggles you awake.

And that is when I say to myself, I got room for some more rescues. Every single time. It is sad that one story has ended, but, it also gives you the chance to enjoy a new one.

I also suggest, dont spend thousands on breeds, just go to the closest shelter, you will be able to find some poor lost creature that will bond with you. Every single one of our pets have been rescues, ranging from abandonded kitties, to "raging monster that cant coexist with people or other cats" (apparently our last russian blue was just evil and wanted to kill its owners, when we got it, all he wanted to do was to chill in any warm spot available) .

Each and every single one has turned out to be the sweetest pet ever.

I love cats, but I’m highly allergic so I could never let them sleep in my bed with me and I hated it. It’s for that reason after my latest cat died I said no more pets for me ever again. The pain of losing pets is indescribable and I still have not gotten over losing either cat, years later. Between that and the allergies, I’ll never own another pet again in my life.

If you’re wondering why I ever did in the first place because of my allergies… weirdly, both cats I had at first were supposed to be me just “watching” a kitten for someone and both times I ended up keeping them because they really took to me. Animals for some reason really love me. Every time I go over someone’s house with animals, even if it’s a large group of people, the pets always single me out and are all over me.
I can empathise as I'm highly allergic to cats and dogs to the point where I'd only have to stroke a cat or dog and I would feel like I had a fever coming on. If it wasn't for hypoallergenic cats and dogs I wouldn't be able to have them in my home.

You have my sympathy with regards to losing a pet, I have lost chinchillas, cats and dogs over the years and it's devastating especially if you have a strong bond.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Don’t !! Pets are awful! Lol. Cats pee and shit all over if they are any bit feeling funny about about anything.

I have 2 old cats and one dog and they have destroyed my home.
if your cats pee and shit all over the place then either they aren't trained, are old/sick, or you neglect them.

i've had 5 cats over 3 decades and they are very clean animals. as kittens they are obviously still learning but they will get used to their litter tray. my current 2 cats hardly needed any training at all. there were a couple accidents but they were like 8 weeks old. really should've been with their mother for another month but they figured out the litter tray real quick. they don't experience the urge to pee/poop like we do so can hold it in. if their litter tray is dirty then won't go shit around the house. unless you don't regularly clean it. they have to pee/poop eventually. not that it's happened to me but if my cats shit in the house it's probably my fault for not cleaning their tray out.

my other cats lived to 21 and had health issues. they still done a good job of using their tray but there were some accidents. one of them had dementia so would sometimes forget where she was or where to go. also she had arthritis so couldn't wash herself properly. i'm not going to be mad at an old sick animal. they just need a little bit more care and attention. if you can't give them that then don't bother getting one.

seriously, if cats are well trained, healthy, and cared for they don't make a mess. a lot of people think cats stink but if they do then it's your fault for not looking after them. they are very clean and hygienic.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
These guys will be indoor cats, and I will not touch their claws. That's what cat trees and scratch posts are for.

However, I do have a 30' clothesline between two poles in the yard. When they're older I'll prolly collar 'em up and let them leash along the clothesline now and then.

But, no, they will not ever be let loose outside. I got dogs on both sides of me, and a school across the street.

The clothesline is as good as it'll get.
my advice is is either keep them 100% indoors or let them go free outside.

my cats were indoor for first 2 years of their life but moved house and as soon as they got out into the the garden they wanted to go out all the time. they will sit at the door crying constantly. they'll be restless and start clawing at the door/furniture.

it's in their nature to be outside exploring and hunting. if you let them experience that even just a little then they will get a "taste for blood" (maybe literally if they catch a bird/squirrel).

if you don't think it's safe to let them out then keep them indoors. since moving i was going to let my cats out but early on my cat accidentally got out and that was it...she changed. wanted out all the time. like i said they'll cry/claw but they'll get restless/frustrated. my cat that got out will turn on my other cat and attack her sometimes if she doesn't get let out.

just something to think about.

We're in the process of designing some additions to the house. Going to try and build some kind of outdoor walkway for them and a caged area where they can sunbathe. These are just some of the ideas we've been looking at.

cat-catio-279657.jpg

black-aluminum-frame-hexagonal-cat-enclosure-with-cat-tree-inside-it-613x817.jpg
a-cat-enclosure-looks-wonderful-with-its-natural-feel-from-the-grass-flooring-and-live-tree-inside-it-613x460.jpg

That is amazing - never thought of anything like that. I seem to spend most evenings trying to keep her entertained/wear her out until inevitably/inaviably she ends up like this:
3oM5miP.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That is amazing - never thought of anything like that. I seem to spend most evenings trying to keep her entertained/wear her out until inevitably/inaviably she ends up like this:
3oM5miP.jpg
Check out the show Animal Cribs on Animal Planet if you can. They do completely over the top stuff like that and build it into the houses, making tunnels into other rooms and crazy stuff lol. I'm going to start small for sure haha.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
if your cats pee and shit all over the place then either they aren't trained, are old/sick, or you neglect them.

i've had 5 cats over 3 decades and they are very clean animals. as kittens they are obviously still learning but they will get used to their litter tray. my current 2 cats hardly needed any training at all. there were a couple accidents but they were like 8 weeks old. really should've been with their mother for another month but they figured out the litter tray real quick. they don't experience the urge to pee/poop like we do so can hold it in. if their litter tray is dirty then won't go shit around the house. unless you don't regularly clean it. they have to pee/poop eventually. not that it's happened to me but if my cats shit in the house it's probably my fault for not cleaning their tray out.

my other cats lived to 21 and had health issues. they still done a good job of using their tray but there were some accidents. one of them had dementia so would sometimes forget where she was or where to go. also she had arthritis so couldn't wash herself properly. i'm not going to be mad at an old sick animal. they just need a little bit more care and attention. if you can't give them that then don't bother getting one.

seriously, if cats are well trained, healthy, and cared for they don't make a mess. a lot of people think cats stink but if they do then it's your fault for not looking after them. they are very clean and hygienic.
Are you veterinarian? Do you know my cats?

Lol seriously they are old and have only done that when sick but it happens and it’s hard to get rid of the smell when they do.
They also cough up hair balls all over which is equally as gross and can stain floors and carpets.

My dog has a very sensitive stomach and allergy issues. So she constantly vomits all over everything as well.

It cost me and extra 2k every year to have my animals boarded so my family can go on vacations as my dog needs special food and meds to go for her allergies and stomach issues. But also $200 every months for meds for them all.

They all when young have scratched up chairs , doors, windows , carpet .. etc

Even though I love and spend tremendous time and money on my animals.
I will never own pets ever again and can’t wait till the ones I have die. 🎉

Last edited:

Catphish

my advice is is either keep them 100% indoors or let them go free outside.

my cats were indoor for first 2 years of their life but moved house and as soon as they got out into the the garden they wanted to go out all the time. they will sit at the door crying constantly. they'll be restless and start clawing at the door/furniture.

it's in their nature to be outside exploring and hunting. if you let them experience that even just a little then they will get a "taste for blood" (maybe literally if they catch a bird/squirrel).

if you don't think it's safe to let them out then keep them indoors. since moving i was going to let my cats out but early on my cat accidentally got out and that was it...she changed. wanted out all the time. like i said they'll cry/claw but they'll get restless/frustrated. my cat that got out will turn on my other cat and attack her sometimes if she doesn't get let out.

just something to think about.
Yeah, I've thought about that, too, as I've had a similar experience.

Currently, I work from home, so maybe if I make it a daily thing, where they get a little outdoor time each day, it wouldn't be so bad.

But you're right. It's definitely something to think about.

cat-catio-279657.jpg

Check out the show Animal Cribs on Animal Planet if you can. They do completely over the top stuff like that and build it into the houses, making tunnels into other rooms and crazy stuff lol. I'm going to start small for sure haha.

For sure, will give it a butchers - just chatted with the GF about this, she's keen to create sometheing for the liddle gal.

I want pink kitten foots. The big one has black kitten foots that are just total darkness and the grey one has grey kitten foots.

One of my kitten foots just got hit by a car. God I'm fucking depressed. He was ten years old and still had a lot of life left. But he just craved the outdoors so much. Always running through, scheming, went through windows, screen doors, backflipped over people to get outdoors. My other cat is depressed. He needs his playmate but I don't know if I should yet.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
That is completely untrue.

Cats are animals, they need to be outside and do cat things, like hunting, socializing with other cats, be in nature, and have new stimulus etc...
Indoor cats are known to display severe behavioral disturbances. Yeah they might be "safer", but they are usually bored to death and far from happy.

Wish life was this simple. My cat was poisoned twice, thankfully survived. Our vet informed us that two other cats died around same spot that he was found the second time (first time he made it home). Now we don't dare to let him out, it's really sad because he loves it in the garden and woods behind our house.

CYLudQH.jpg

Last edited:
Wish life was this simple. My cat was poisoned twice, thankfully survived. Our vet informed us that two other cats died around same spot that he was found the second time (first time he made it home). Now we don't dare to let him out, it's really sad because he loves it in the garden and woods behind our house.

CYLudQH.jpg
For sure, some people are real arseholes. Luckily I live in a rural area where there's probably less animal haters and most people are used to letting their cats go outside. We had some reports about sadistic people leaving poisoned dog-bait in the woods, but luckily animal abuse doesn't seem to be very common around these parts.

We all want to protect our pets and I do understand that people live in different circumstances though. Ideally cats are allowed to go outside, but we don't live in an ideal world. Still, for me the risk is worth taking versus a life in a golden cage.

I'm glad your little tiger managed to pull through and would I have experienced that twice, I might also think differently.

Top Bottom