• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KKK Member Walks up to a Black Musician in Bar...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valtýr;91064582 said:
LRAxImP.jpg
Inyx5qX.png

the quote is well intentioned enough but wildly inaccurate. The anti-racist group might be saying "we dont want that guy here" just the same as the Klan but theyre not proponents of racist backwards ideology either. I dont think it's fundamentally wrong at all to not want to interact with the Klan. Theyre not Maoists or Stalin apologists they are the Klan, who are made up of mostly unreasonable people.

Do you have more intimate knowledge of KKK members than Daryl Davis? If it was mostly, then Davis wouldn't have been able to make friends with 20 members and dismantle the whole of KKK in Maryland.

Davis became friends with Kelly and eventually went on to befriend over 20 members of the KKK. He has collected at least that many robes and hoods, which he has hanging in his closet. He also is viewed as being responsible for dismantling the entire KKK in Maryland because things “fell apart” after he began making inroads with its members there.

As the wise Mitt Romney once said, "Klansmen are people, my friend".

Do you have more intimate knowledge of KKK members than Daryl Davis? If it was mostly, then Davis wouldn't have been able to make friends with 20 members and dismantle the whole of KKK in Maryland.

As the wise Mitt Romney once said, "Klansmen are people, my friend".

I know they are. So are Skinheads and Neonazis. Im sure there's poor mislead Billy Bobs that swell their ranks, but the fact of the matter is they espouse hateful ideology and assume people like myself are lesser humans. So fuck the Klan.

IceCold

I know they are. So are Skinheads and Neonazis. Im sure there's poor mislead Billy Bobs that swell their ranks, but the fact of the matter is they espouse hateful ideology and assume people like myself are lesser humans. So fuck the Klan.

It should be mentioned that many skinheads are not into the white power crap. The origin of the sub culture has nothing to do with race either.

I understand the quote fine, I have a problem with the phrase "doing the exact same thing they (the Klan) are"
However much of a circle jerk, echo chamber an anti-fascist group could theoretically turn into, ideologically, they are not morally repugnant the way Klan is, which is why I reject any direct comparison between the two groups, however minor. I mean sure, the Klan could be an obstinate echo chamber too, but one of hatred and intolerance.
Furthermore, why does an antifascist group have to reach out to the extreme end of the spectrum, the Klan, to promote anti-discrimination awareness in a meaningful and impactful way? The answer is that they dont.

Antifascist groups don't have to reach out. They don't have to anything, really. But they aren't going to accomplish anything if they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom