• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knights of Ren Trailer Leaked?

Real or Fake?

• Real

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Fake

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

ManaByte

The prequel trilogy proves what Lucas wants isn't always good either.

The movie needed a lot more to sell you on a hermit and cowardly Luke Skywalker than a few minutes of flashbacks. I'm sure you remember even Mark Hamill questioning how that optimistic Luke turned into a hermit in interviews.
You said it was Rian Johnson’s idea because that’s what YouTube indoctrinated you with. You’re ignoring that the whole thing was George’s idea, which those YouTubers also ignore while screaming for Disney to bring Lucas back.

ManaByte

George Lucas' Sequel Trilogy would've been hated by the Internet more than the prequels.

1. Hermit TLJ Luke in Episode VII.
2. Dead TLJ Luke in Episode VIII.
3. All singing, all dancing MIDICHORLIANS!

“[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world,” Lucas said. “But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

“If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done,” he said. “Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

Romulus

I would say fake because conceptually it looks good and that's not something Disney understands.. Not sure about the backstory, but those Ren knights were probably a bunch of clowns.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

You said it was Rian Johnson’s idea because that’s what YouTube indoctrinated you with. You’re ignoring that the whole thing was George’s idea, which those YouTubers also ignore while screaming for Disney to bring Lucas back.
I still think it was mostly his idea how Luke was portrayed in TLJ, like throwing his lightsabre over his shoulder, unless Rian himself says otherwise. Or that that Momma joke at the start.

Even if the hermit thing wasn't his idea there's still plenty of other things in the movie to roast him for(like killing Snoke, Holdo's manoeuvre).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
WTF is knight of Ren? What is Ren?
ren and stimpy GIF

ManaByte

I still think it was mostly his idea how Luke was portrayed in TLJ, like throwing his lightsabre over his shoulder, unless Rian himself says otherwise. Or that that Momma joke at the start.

Even if the hermit thing wasn't his idea there's still plenty of other things in the movie to roast him for(like killing Snoke, Holdo's manoeuvre).

George's hermit Luke was even worse and crazier. He compared him to Colonel Kurtz and would've been like that until well into his Episode VIII and then died. TLJ was probably the closest to George's version of VII and VIII than either of the JJ Abrams movies.

George's Luke concept:
screen-shot-2016-03-14-at-9-35-13-am_png_375x0_crop_q85.jpg

TFA was just Abrams doing a nostalgia check list to remake ANH (George's ST didn't have X-Wings or TIE Fighters), while ROTS was written by Reddit and YouTube comment sections.

Rey, Kylo, and Finn were always in George's version, Poe is a combination of two other characters. In George's version there was no Snoke, Kylo was seduced to the Dark Side by Darth Talon, the Twi'lek Sith from the Star Wars Legacy comics that George also forced into the cancelled Darth Maul game. He had a fetish for her.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

George's hermit Luke was even worse and crazier. He compared him to Colonel Kurtz and would've been like that until well into his Episode VIII and then died. TLJ was probably the closest to George's version of VII and VIII than either of the JJ Abrams movies. TFA was just him doing a nostalgia check list to remake ANH (George's ST didn't have X-Wings or TIE Fighters), while ROTS was written by Reddit and YouTube comment sections.
That does sound more interesting than what we got in TLJ but it would still require good writing(aka more than a couple of flashbacks) to get from ROTJ Luke to that in one movie IMO.

Mark Hamill says Lucas wanted Luke dead in Episode 9.
I happen to know that George didn't kill Luke until the end of (Episode) 9, after he trained Leia," Hamill told IGN in an article published Monday. Lucas wrote, directed and produced the original "Star Wars" film and wrote and produced the second two films in the trilogy.

Rey, Kylo, and Finn were always in George's version, Poe is a combination of two other characters. In George's version there was no Snoke, Kylo was seduced to the Dark Side by Darth Talon, the Twi'lek Sith from the Star Wars Legacy comics that George also forced into the cancelled Darth Maul game. He had a fetish for her.
Lucas felt betrayed with TFA. Can't say I'd be against seeing Talon on the big screen.

iu

Last edited:
Well the books George Lucas had read and approved as cannon, last as I remember were very few - however all the books I've described we're still Still Star Wars Books granted legitimacy by Lucas publishing and Co. However George himself had not approved of them as cannon best I remember.

If Luke ever actually Dies in the Films it will be a clone or some fakery Luke is using to confuse the enemy I'm almost certain. In the Books and Comics Force Yoda and Force Kenobi and Force Vader are actually off fighting a War on the other side and Luke, who can at that point exist on both sides can't find them. It's so bad that he find's out the Force versions he has been talking to are actually a Copy of the aberrations created by Dark Side A.I. Simulation Technology, no joke - suddenly these Hero's he's been talking to from the Light Side of the Force even in The Last Jedi/Rise Of Skywalker are turned by this realization - but he allows them to remain so because he realizes yes the Dark Side were using these to Spy - it relayed to a base he basically already destroyed, and they were programmed to be exact copies of his friends. He does however eventually go and dismantle them.

Meanwhile, the real Force Yoda/Kenobi/Vader - he can't find. They are off in some wild war involving a different type of "Force" which the Force has sent Midichlorian to fight and investigate.

Books like "The New Jedi Order" which touch on these things we're published by the original Star Wars Publisher, of which there were over 600 when I looked 20 years ago published in the same vein. None of which
George Lucas would consider cannon personally, but really - some of these Books, officially published by Del Ray (Lucas Star Wars Book Publishing) were so good Lucas himself should be envious! Especially the ones about how amazing Luke Actually is - and Spoiler, in the books as cannon Luke Becomes Midichlorian Luke without dying, he is that well liked by the Light side and he himself agrees to do it.

But I can see them pulling from the books to explain away all types of things, like Luke can be anywhere on a Time Line now - or can send copies of himself, just as powerful as he is created by the Force to carry out tasks and missions. And he has allowed it to look like he has died before to confuse the enemy. When They say Luke is the greatest Jedi to ever Exist he really is! In the books Death can not touch him, he is one with the force, and capable of things fans of the movie wouldn't think had they not heard about some of it!

Last edited:

ManaByte

That does sound more interesting than was we got in TLJ but it would still require good writing(aka more than a couple of flashbacks) to get from ROTJ Luke to that in one movie IMO.

Mark Hamill says Lucas wanted Luke dead in Episode 9.

Doesn't matter what Hamill says, there's documentation that he was going to die in Lucas' Episode VIII, not IX.

Hamill also wanted Luke to turn to the Dark Side in ROTJ, so he's not the best barometer of such things:
"I remember complaining to George [Lucas] about something in Revenge of the Jedi, and I said, 'It's so predictable and pat,' and he said, 'Mark, don't forget. These things were made for children. His original intention was to make movies for, you know, kids! Adolescents and younger. Because I was wearing all black, I thought I would go to the Dark Side in the last one. And, of course, you have to redeem yourself … every actor wants to play their own evil twin.”

Well the books George Lucas had read and approved as cannon

What books? He never read any of the books. Anyone who told you he read them and approved them as canon was lying to you to push something.

“I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.”

[In my universe] “Once Vader dies, he doesn’t come back to life, the Emperor doesn’t get cloned and Luke doesn’t get married…”

George DID like the comics and bought all of the original art from the Han Solo mini-series Marvel did.

Rockondevil

I'd love it to be real but Disney doesn't do the Space Wizards, they do the "I'm a normal person and can just as good as a Space Wizard".

He say's he didn't read them but he was the one Authorizing the decisions in many of the Luke focused Novels until he grew tired of it - he had A Star Wars expert he trusted give him comprehensive vocal oversight of the books which is essentially saying "I had someone read the ones to me that I needed to approve" as he approved much of what Luke is known for in the Novels. But that's reaching back into my memory from 2003, however much of this seeps into and is present in the comics - Particularly the Superman rendition of Star Wars Luke Circa 99' which Lucas Authorized. In the books the only Luke that ever gets married isn't Luke, it's a Clone. He certainly Authorized many of the Luke Specific event's in the Books. And certainly had a Close Friend and Star Wars Expert give him comprehensive overview as per my memory spanning across several interviews with George from around 2000.

But all of these books, published by Star Wars Publishing House Del Ray were Authorized by Lucas. Lucas has said extensively even though he has authorized some of these novels to extreme degree
only the films are cannon really. But now that Disney own's this franchise as A Star Wars fan I don't care about Lucas's Canonical Grip - He lost that when he sold the rights. And disney is obviously injecting Luke from the novels into the latest films.

When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences.

Did George Lucas approve all Star Wars books?

The original canonical Expanded Universe ran from 1977 to 2014 was both approved by George Lucas, and created specifically by him to tell the stories he couldn't.

ManaByte

He say's he didn't read them but he was the one Authorizing the decisions in many of the Luke focused Novels until he grew tired of it - he had A Star Wars expert he trusted give him comprehensive vocal oversight of the books which is essentially saying "I had someone read the ones to me that I needed to approve" as he approved much of what Luke is known for in the Novels. But that's reaching back into my memory from 2003, however much of this seeps into and is present in the comics - Particularly the Superman rendition of Star Wars Luke Circa 99' which Lucas Authorized. In the books the only Luke that ever gets married isn't Luke, it's a Clone. He certainly Authorized many of the Luke Specific event's in the Books. And certainly had a Close Friend and Star Wars Expert give him comprehensive overview as per my memory spanning across several interviews with George from around 2000.

But all of these books, published by Star Wars Publishing House Del Ray were Authorized by Lucas. Lucas has said extensively even though he has authorized some of these novels to extreme degree
only the films are cannon really. But now that Disney own's this franchise as A Star Wars fan I don't care about Lucas's Canonical Grip - He lost that when he sold the rights. And disney is obviously injecting Luke from the novels into the latest films.

I provided an actual quote from George Lucas. You post a google search that ends up with an anonymous EU fanboy editorial.

I provided an actual quote from George Lucas. You post a google search that ends up with an anonymous EU fanboy editorial.
I remember vividly when this happened, are you saying you don't? Well If a Google Search wont suffice here, and my memory which links back to a news broadcast stating the same doesn't mean anything to you I suppose you're out of luck. I'm not digging into my own first hand knowledge to settle some non argument.

But I will say, for other fan's that also realize George has lost his absolute Grip on the Star Wars universe - Luke is so much more powerful than all the other Jedi that not only does the Light Side of the force
kindly establish this for Luke - Luke then immediately dismantles 3 planets full of Sith (sith Planets) at the exact same time in an all out Luke war on Sith of which in totality Luke dismantles 7 Planet's teeming with Sith. There are many things hitting Disney considered Anti-Canon by Lucas and Co if you bow out to meaningful discussion as some do. Which just establishes how impactful the Novels (some written literally by the greatest writers in Science Fiction) actually are - that Lucas also is too Jealous to accept as cannon but also Authorized as per his 2014 aggrement - which was merely not needed considering Lucas Publisher Del Ray published all of these Novels anyways.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I remember vividly when this happened, are you saying you don't? Well If a Google Search wont suffice here, and my memory which links back to a news broadcast stating the same doesn't mean anything to you I suppose you're out of luck. I'm not digging into my own first hand knowledge to settle some non argument.

It doesn't matter what you remember, people remember things wrong all the time. George Lucas himself said he never read the novels and they weren't canon.

It doesn't matter what you remember, people remember things wrong all the time. George Lucas himself said he never read the novels and they weren't canon.
Excuse me? The fact that A quick Google Search immediately provided correct Memory Interpretation for me specific is all I need personally. Good Day.

But yes argue these pointless things in disguise of meaningful conversation, meanwhile - I love Star Wars Cannon. It's all about Lucas Cannon, but when all Lucas has ever done is Published books and called them anti-cannon it really only Speaks to Disney as to what will happen next in the Star Wars Universe.

On Topic. Also, for real Star Wars fans and for those unaware, something that looked like a Lord Of The Rings Helm was used in a simulation shown to Luke, in the Super Man Comic Books - which is the Universe he discovered essentially our own in!! Does this sound anything like Luke doing a voice over in the Trailer? I'll have to listen again, but based on his long list of voice overs on my first listen I thought it did!! But I think I'll give it another run through just to see if it sounds the same.

But most poignantly, the simulation in the Superman Comic's as portrayed after the Event's in Death Of Superman - is what is shown in this trailer!!

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'd rather have Lucas' hermit Luke than Roundhead's version and the whole thing with the Whills sounds cool. Also we might have been spared Admiral Brianna Wu and her hyperdrive ramming.

I like the prequels a lot, too, though except for Anakin who imo was too much of a whiny brat to be a believable Vader. Same goes for Kylo Ren. Stop with the whiny brat Sith.

They should get what's-his-name who wrote KOTOR to work on a Kotor movie/show project. I still think KOTOR I and II are the best SW stories ever made - yes even better than the OT.

Unpopular opinion - there are some things I really do like about the new canon. Jedi Fallen Order and Vader Immortal are pretty awesome, for instance. I hated Rogue One but after a rewatch and that last 45 minutes, it's decent and that 45 minutes is one of the best battle scenes in the series. Also of course The Midichlorian.

I like the concept of the High Republic, just not the way it's executed. I love prequel trilogy aesthetics and I more than welcome a return to that. The Drengir are pretty badass.

Right now I want a really scary Sith. Like Nihilus. Or Trevorrow's Dark Side teacher, Tor Valum.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Oh, and from what I can remember, there were two mercenaries who considered theirself the Knights Of Ren. They may or may not of known
it was attached to Luke Skywalker at the time (but they likely knew)!! Luke had adopted this name after realizing Han Solo was an originator of the name and attached in harmless form.

And in the Novels And Comic Books, during the Era of Knights Of Ren, Luke Had Just discovered a Universe where The Witch King was a big deal.. and currently this
Universe was celebrating the filmatic creation of Lord Of The Rings and was also about to experience it's own Technological Revolution of Immense Wealth And Prosperity for All.. similar in scope to
the one Individuals in the Star Wars Universe were experiencing!

They could adapt a variation of the Knights Of Ren without Luke, but this would be very dull in comparison to the stories attached to Luke in the Literature!! As Luke Had mentioned encountering
many Standard Sith more powerful than this group, and considering he didn't find them very powerful either - that was saying something!!
!!

!!

!!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Lmao at thinking this was real. I'd have ran that shit through ManaByte so hard in the DMs first. Dude is hooked into the Matrix so hard for Star Wars content coming through the pipeline.
What an amazing design more appealing than anything in the sequel trilogy we got and I'm being serious.

Disagree in Bob Igers book where he stated that Lucas was not happy with the last jedi since none of his ideas were used and Kathleen Kennedy decided to go in a different direction with it.

So yeah Lucas is not really to blame for what happened with the sequel trilogy

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
George Lucas' Sequel Trilogy would've been hated by the Internet more than the prequels.

1. Hermit TLJ Luke in Episode VII.
2. Dead TLJ Luke in Episode VIII.
3. All singing, all dancing MIDICHORLIANS!

Screw that shit. They should have adapted Zahn’s Empire trilogy. That trilogy will always be canon in my heart.

Heck Disney should just disavow the sequel trilogy, use deepfake tech and adapt Zahn’s trilogy and bring Star Wars back on track. While they’re at it, they should also hire some toughs to punch JJ Abrams in the face a few times for destroying two beloved franchises.

Gifmaker

Screw that shit. They should have adapted Zahn’s Empire trilogy.
That's pretty obviously what Filoni is trying to do in the foreseeable future. Rebels, Mandalorian and Bad Batch all point to this. Also, with Grogu in the picture, he's likely gonna try to take things a step further and do something beyond what was done by Zahn: force-sensitive Thrawn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom