• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo on Rise of the Ronin sales performance - 'Sales are surpassing the Nioh series, high valuation by players'

Excerpt from their IR which was held earlier today - https://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/e/ir/docs/ir3_20240430_e.pdf

5qCXok8.png

Toots

Gold Member
Great to see !
Anyone who had fun with Way of the Samurai back in the day should try this one.

tommib

My favourite new game I played this year and the critic’s score has been one of the strangest things I’ve seen in the industry.

GHound

Days Gone had major bugs on release, was it the case of Ronin?
I can only think of three times I had anything weird happen at all. There was one time I had a dojo fight shit itself on me after winning it and had to close out of the game(progress retained). Then there was this time I had an enemy get stuck in the ground while in a mission and had to run a distance away from him for him to sort himself out off screen. Finally there was the time I myself got stuck on terrain once but I don't think there's a single open/semi open world title where I haven't gotten stuck in terrain at least once.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have more bugs with your average ac game than i ever had with dg at launch.

They weren't "major" bugs, i would save that term for bethesda games, they fucking wish their bugs were as major as days gone bugs...
People were just surprised that the game didn't had the usuall sony polish but it was by far the most demanding and system driven open world ever made by sony so it was kinda of a trade off.

Last edited:

jm89

Days gone had some game breaking bugs.

It was pretty rough all around.

They did manage to sort out most the issues around the 2-3 month mark after release.

Ronin is in much better shape at launch.

tommib

This is one of the games I would tell people to wait for the Pro if you haven’t started it yet.

The unlocked graphics mode will look tremendous at a stable 60 instead of the unstable fuckfest we have currently.

Performance mode looks terrible to my eyes and it’s a no-no.

GHG

Gold Member

The days gone bugs were only talked about because they were out of character for a 1st party Sony game. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that buggy.

Granted though, I played through it on the PS4 Pro and experienced nothing major whereas most of the issues at the time of release seemed to be more prevalent on baseline hardware.

Some people looking real silly right about now. There were people acting like the game bombed because it wasn't #1 or #2 on the PS Store charts in March even though it was still top 10. I tried telling them that its first month position was actually higher than what Nioh and Nioh 2 did on the PS Store in their first month and they went on to sell millions. Idiots need to stop acting like if a game doesn't place at the top in the first month that it failed.

Last edited:

tommib

Some people looking real silly right about now. There were people acting like the game bombed because it wasn't #1 or #2 on the PS Store charts in March even though it was still top 10. I tried telling them that its first month position was actually higher than what Nioh and Nioh 2 did on the PS Store in their first month and they went on to sell millions.
People saying this bombed are the standard console warriors. Don’t take them seriously even if they might sound serious.

Zheph

The days gone bugs were only talked about because they were out of character for a 1st party Sony game. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that buggy.

Granted though, I played through it on the PS4 Pro and experienced nothing major whereas most of the issues at the time of release seemed to be more prevalent on baseline hardware.
I played it day one bro and it wasn't great but nothing insane either for sure. I have defended the game many times I'm just not sure comparing it to Ronin is accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Aion002

Nice. Hopefully it will get some expansions with new weapons, challenges and please a Underworld type of mode like in Nioh (constant battle stages that gets more difficult as you play and gives better rewards as you progresss, which also has optional coop that scales according to the amount of players).

Last edited:
I played it day one bro and it wasn't great but nothing insane either for sure. I have defended the game many times I'm just not sure comparing it to Ronin is accurate.
The comparison is apt because both games struggled with reviews and sales at launch, but ended up selling well enough by word of mouth. I doubt Ronin will end up selling 8mil copies like Days Gone, mostly because Koei Tecmo doesn't tend to drop their prices all that quickly.

ROTR is my favorite release since GOWR, but I'm honestly am still a little disappointed with it. Team Ninja need to get off the Katana engine because they have the talent to make all time great games if given the proper resources and time. They create the most addictive gameplay loops ever

nial

Gold Member
I doubt Ronin will end up selling 8mil copies like Days Gone, mostly because Koei Tecmo doesn't tend to drop their prices all that quickly.
It's all on Sony, not Koei Tecmo. That being said, first-party games haven't had any price drops at the moment, aside from HFW.

Elios83

It's a fantastic game, got me hooked for a month, great combat system, characters and setting.
I really hope it continues to do well so that a sequel where they can build on the foundation they have created is possible.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well earned. Best game they’ve done since NG2.

I hope their next project is Ninja Gaiden 4, but they’ll likely never revisit it.

TheTony316

I'll get it down the line. Would have been a day 1 buy if it wasn't for Rebirth, Persona 3 and Stellar Blade launching back to back.

Markio128

I’m definitely going to get it at some point, but I’m knee deep in other games at the moment. I also think it will be slow burner, and will likely get a second wind with a bit of a discount. I’d snap it up at £49.99, but it will be a few months before that happens I reckon.

Top Bottom