• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo's "Musou" series has sold over 22 million in Japan

Samurai Warriors 2 empires was my first and loved them ever since.

Warriors Orochi took everything to another level, and WO3 may be my favorite musou entry.

Hoping for many more :D

Here's a picture of Musashi Miyamoto beasting, because why not :p

PQa7sSX.jpg

Musashi kept getting downgraded past SW2, he was so bad in WO3U. He is finally a beast again in SW4, though he is limited to Chronicle Mode only

Neiteio

Cao Cao did nothing wrong, not when Liu Bei was the true villain of the 3 kingdoms.

Proof-
c65s3dt.gif
man what a wuss he could barely throw the baby 3 feet I'm way stronger than that I could throw babies at least 9 feet in fact I think I'll throw some babies right now

On-topic: I'd like a Hyrule Warriors 2 featuring Saria. SHIP IT.

man what a wuss he could barely throw the baby 3 feet I'm way stronger than that I could throw babies at least 9 feet in fact I think I'll throw some babies right now

On-topic: I'd like a Hyrule Warriors 2 featuring Saria. SHIP IT.

well to be fair to Liu Shan, it was well known that he was a fat baby

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Zelda fans will buy anything Zelda related. The amount of "DW games are all the same right/I don't like them because they are all the same, but will buy it anyway because its Zelda and I have to support the franchise" posts before this game came out were pretty telling of what was going to happen.

HW did help change perception of the DW franchise, for alot of people tho, we know now that it isnt all about just mashing buttons.

Musashi kept getting downgraded past SW2, he was so bad in WO3U. He is finally a beast again in SW4, though he is limited to Chronicle Mode only

Yeah it's so weird how Warriors Orochi had that issue with his movesets, it was tough to get his strong charge chain consistently for whatever reason.

Of course he's back home finally in SW4, he'll always be king to me in those :D

When you think about it, regular consistent sales with little risk and little changed is kind of what most Japanese businesses strive for.

CSX

Is that Liu Bei?

never watched that show but im guessing that's showing the scene of liu bei throwing infant liu shan in response of him almost losing one of his best generals just to save one child when he could always have another

That's from the SHIROBAKO anime, which is a series about the anime industry and the bullshit involved with the industry such as how certain members of the production committee abuse their position to push for voice actresses that aren't qualified for the roles involved.

Cao Cao did nothing wrong, not when Liu Bei was the true villain of the 3 kingdoms.

Proof-
c65s3dt.gif

Funnily enough, my ancestor was directly responsible for defeating Guan Yu and thereby causing his and Guan Ping's deaths.

Griss

Do all of these games have the levelling / grinding systems found in Hyrule Warriors? Ruined the game for me. So much promise to it, too.

Anyway I'm happy that a niche series like this has had so much success. We need mid-level titles like this to keep finding audiences in order to maintain even the slightest amount of game diversity.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
KT has to make more crossovers cause I feel intimidated by jumping into a series with so many installments. Hyrule Warriors being a self-contained fan-service package was a great move IMO. The Matrix Warriors would be a teenage dream come true.

Shengar

Yes. This is Real Chinese History. That is Liu Bei, the Tyrant, the Betrayer, the False King of Fratricide.
I blame Lu Guanzhong romanticization on the three brothers journey and making them the main focus of the novel.
But to be fair though, the most recent Three Kingdoms was focused on Cao Cao, so all thing is right.
Funnily enough, my ancestor was directly responsible for defeating Guan Yu and thereby causing his and Guan Ping's deaths.
You're Lu Meng descendant? :0

ZhugeEX

Banned
That's from the SHIROBAKO anime, which is a series about the anime industry and the bullshit involved with the industry such as how certain members of the production committee abuse their position to push for voice actresses that aren't qualified for the roles involved..

Oh haha.

I was wondering why Google bought up nothing :p

Anyway, I'll be writing up a report of Koei Tecmo's fiscal 2014 report shortly with exclusive information from Koei and quotes from their management as to what we should expect in 2015/2016.

Such a guilty pleasure. Been playing since DW3 and always make sure I have at least one DW/SW/WO on every console I own. That's why I can't bring myself to pick up WO3U, because that would make WO3H on Wii U obsolete!

Happy to hear of Hyrule Warrior's success in the west too. It's a great game. I'm not sure if I need HW2 just yet, but I would love another season of DLC to cover Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, and Zelda U. Fire Emblem Musou would also be awesome.

Excellent. Onwards and upwards with the rate they're going with collabs too!

I do wonder how much the next mainline Dynasty Warriors is going to suffer in sales, though. There's been a lot of musou the past few years.

Celine

KOEI shipment data from CESA White Paper report 2007 (until December 2006):
DW4: 1.9M
DW3: 1.7M
DW5: 1.35M
SW: 1.32M

KOEI Series total:
NA: 7.2M (FC, SFC, GB, GBA, PS, PS2, SS, DC, MD, MCD, PCE, 3DO, WS, Xbox, PC)
DW: 6.47M (PS2, PSP, Xbox)
RotTK: 6.30M (FC, SFC, GB, GBA, PS, PS2, SS, DC, MD, MCD, PCE, 3DO, WS, PC)
WP: 3.67M (SFC, GBA, PS, PS2, SS, DC, 3DO, PC)
SW: 1.58M (PS2, Xbox)

ZhugeEX

Banned
KOEI shipment data from CESA White Paper report 2007 (until December 2006):
DW4: 1.9M
DW3: 1.7M
DW5: 1.35M
SW: 1.32M

KOEI Series total:
NA: 7.2M (FC, SFC, GB, GBA, PS, PS2, SS, DC, MD, MCD, PCE, 3DO, WS, Xbox, PC)
DW: 6.47M (PS2, PSP, Xbox)
RotTK: 6.30M (FC, SFC, GB, GBA, PS, PS2, SS, DC, MD, MCD, PCE, 3DO, WS, PC)
WP: 3.67M (SFC, GBA, PS, PS2, SS, DC, 3DO, PC)
SW: 1.58M (PS2, Xbox)

Thanks for this. Some of those numbers are out of date though or incorrect based on what Koei have told me and what is in their Investor relations stuff. DW5 for example surpassed 1.5m as of March 2006.
Also DW4 saw a PC release as well.

Celine

Thanks for this. Some of those numbers are out of date though or incorrect based on what Koei have told me and what is in their Investor relations stuff. DW5 for example surpassed 1.5m as of March 2006.
Also DW4 saw a PC release as well.
The organization got the data from the respective companies thought it isn't clear what company gave the more recent data (until Dec. 2006), they only say 5 of them did while for others the data was collected in the past years.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The organization got the data from the respective companies thought it isn't clear what company gave the more recent data (until Dec. 2006), they only say 5 of them did while for others the data was collected in the past years.

I think it must be past data.

As this is what Koei says in their FY2006 report ending March 31st 2006.

The Dynasty Warriors series is still maintaining high sales worldwide, with “Dynasty Warriors 5” (for PS2, Xbox & Xbox360) with shipments of over 1,500,000 units since its launch in February, 2005 (with 370,000 units shipped this fiscal year),

Koei list shipments as 1.1m in FY2005 and 0.37m in FY2006. So this gives us 1.47m total. Koei confirm it's over 1.5m so I'm assuming that 30k is a rounding issue.

The same applies for DW4 where other platforms have taken sales past the 2m mark.

Shengar

This just makes me want to play Samurai Warriors 2: empires again... ):

How did Dynasty warriors 8 empires turn out? Was it shitty?
It's a buggy, technical mess. Better wait for a discount on that one.
Such a guilty pleasure. Been playing since DW3 and always make sure I have at least one DW/SW/WO on every console I own. That's why I can't bring myself to pick up WO3U, because that would make WO3H on Wii U obsolete!

Happy to hear of Hyrule Warrior's success in the west too. It's a great game. I'm not sure if I need HW2 just yet, but I would love another season of DLC to cover Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, and Zelda U. Fire Emblem Musou would also be awesome.

WO3U is definitely the best of musous. One of the most satisfying thing to be done is using True Triple Attack in the middle of gazillion chasing officers and their ilk.

*cues up lonely island "I threw it on the ground"*
Is that the gif I made for Gaf all those years ago or did you find another of this scene?

That's actually a .webm I pulled from the scene. Yesterday when I was looking if I had an original .gif version, I didn't so I had to take it to one of those online converters.(I would frequently post the .webm in uh, /v/ Dynasty Warriors threads.)

You're Lu Meng descendant? :0

Yup. Funny thing is, my family worships Guan Yu as a guardian deity (we're Buddhists).

We can actually trace our lineage further back to the start of the Han Dynasty (Empress Dowager Lu Zhi) and probably further back to the end of the Warring States (Lu Buwei). We think Qin Shihuang might actually be a relative. So yeah.

May16

And I don't even see Dragon Quest Heroes on that list. Might end up tacking on another million right there, at least when the second one hits.

Only 22 million? Wow, considering the series' immense popularity i figured it'd be more.

I mean, I know Japan has like one 1/10th the population of the US, but yeah.

Top Bottom