• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Jinroh

Thanks for the reply guys. I missed the email and didn't pay attention to the survey part since the demo would be on steam anyway.

Too bad for me :(

Has anyone or the devs talked about how awkward speed runs look when the back dash is constantly used?

Any solutions to this problem, I personally think it could be remedied if the back dash turned into a flinch animation if spammed consetucally 3 or more times.

I guess including a dash faster than the back dash would unbalance the flow of the game.

'Symphony of the Night', right? Man, you're so right about that.
Yes. The very first Metroidvania ever and that was it never to be seen again on a home console.

The next six 2D Castlevanias would stick to portables while consoles got weird 3D Castlevanias (some more linear than others), a craptacular fighting game, a fairly decent linear reboot (with two appalling sequels), and a weird 2D multiplayer co-op Castlevania that I wouldn't call a Metroidvania at all.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Has anyone or the devs talked about how awkward speed runs look when the back dash is constantly used?

Any solutions to this problem, I personally think it could be remedied if the back dash turned into a flinch animation if spammed consetucally 3 or more times.

I guess including a dash faster than the back dash would unbalance the flow of the game.

IGA has mentioned that a few times but he's always said his priority is to give the fans what they want, so...

IGA has mentioned that a few times but he's always said his priority is to give the fans what they want, so...

All I remember him saying (according to Ben Judd) is that he was sad that he didn't get to see Alucard's walk animation because he liked it. I've never heard him express any dislike or disapproval to backdashing.

So let me get this straight.

Because you don't like how something looks, you want to take it away from everyone else who don't care if it looks "awkward'?

Simply don't watch speedruns.

Jumps look floaty and run animation is too slow imho. Like you play some old 50hz game lol.

Since the game is far from finished I hope this points will be addressed. (Didn't back it up, was short on money).

Comments like this make me wonder whether these people played any of the IGAvanias or not.

Helloween

I has a quick go this morning before work. The demo is exactly what I wanted! The way jumps and combat works is so igavania. The slash back step slash is fast and responsive.

Now all I gotta do I wait for work to be over and play some more

Installed the demo, played a bit. While it's virtually unplayable on my shitty PC (I mean like, probably 9 fps or so, no exaggeration) it sure as hell played like a Castlevania game. Can't wait for my Xbox One copy.

All I remember him saying (according to Ben Judd) is that he was sad that he didn't get to see Alucard's walk animation because he liked it. I've never heard him express any dislike or disapproval to backdashing.

So let me get this straight.

Because you don't like how something looks, you want to take it away from everyone else who doesn't care if it looks "awkward'?

Simply don't watch speedruns.

I'm not trying to take it away really, that was a suggestion, I don't think most enemies require more than 3 back dashes to avoid certain attacks anyways. But than again the gba castlevania had a very fast power you would activate making you fly head on, so hopefully they can add something similar later in the game. Or on second thought, maybe including a dash from the beginning wouldn't be such a bad idea.

This demo was pretty damn good, Iga really worked overtime to channel and heart and soul of SoTN into this one. It really felt like I was playing the sequel to SoTN, years and years after the fact.

The main menu music is pretty nice. In general the game already looks and runs really well even in this early form and we haven't even seen the full extent of visual effects yet!

The Xbox One controller I got with my Oculus Rift sure comes in handy for stuff like this lol

So the head flail spell you can get from the Dullahammers is crazy strong.

17-25 damage on the boss, AND you can backdash-crouch cancel it to use it faster. Though, you have to time it properly because you can cancel the spell before it actually does any damage (same as sword swings) and you waste the mp. I'm pretty sure I could kill the boss before a single phase change if I didn't miss any swings and used all my ethers.

Now this turned out pretty good! I'd like some options for sound volume though. The effects are way too loud vs the music.
You and me both. I don't want another SOTN situation where I can't turn up the sublime music up without making my ears bleed with the super loud sound effects.

This demo was really impressive.

Jumps look floaty and run animation is too slow imho. Like you play some old 50hz game lol.

Since the game is far from finished I hope this points will be addressed. (Didn't back it up, was short on money).

The jumping may look floaty in videos (so did SOTN's), but actually playing the game, the jumping and movement felt responsive and precise. The game controlled very well; I instantly got the hang of it.

Bleep

The first thing I checked in the demo was if backdash cancelling is in....

gif20xs5x.gif

I think this game is going to be very good.

Hesemonni

Banned
Does this game have mid-air double jump?

I can't play these types of games without jumping constantly :/ God tier game mechanic.

Soodanim

The game feels like a spiritual successor to SotN, so it's doing its job. If you put footage side by side you'd probably see very little difference in the movement and attacking.

One of my moves in SotN is jumping then doing a down+attack just before the jump ends then going into a normal attack, which comes out very quick due to the first animation cancelling upon landing. That feels exactly the same in Bloodstained, and I'm happy about that. With Mighty No. 9 being what it is, it's nice to see that this is a project that will certainly so far lives up to what we expect.

I hope that the game ends up supporting higher refresh rates, because it would be so nice to use ULMB with this.

I must say thought that some of the art, like in the pause menu, isn't as clear as the rest of the graphics. And I'm not 100% sure on the shader used in game.

Does this game have mid-air double jump?

I can't play these types of games without jumping constantly :/ God tier game mechanic.
I would put money on it being in, but as a power up collected mid-game like in the other games.

Rich!

oh my god

just had a quick bash through the demo, and I'm stunned. This is absolutely fantastic - and feels like a real successor to SOTN. I have no complaints whatsoever about the controls, which feel just right, nor the graphical style or music which all seem just right.

And despite a few framerate drops here and there, the demo is polished as hell. Damn, this could easily be part of the release version I'm playing and I'd be happy.

yessss

Lain

It was a great feeling to wake up to a key waiting in my email.
Demo was nice. I played with KB/M so the tutorial text telling me the buttons was useless as I had to go hitting every button to figure out where they were mapped.
The Boss fight was underwhelming as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty happy to see that the game is shaping up to be pretty damn good first hand.

Thoraxes

So I had my Rift plugged in and was going to try this with the screen viewing apps...

and this came up:

wahhq90.png

GONNA GIVE THIS A SHOT YEAH
edit: Ohhhhhhhh just that meh

edit edit: I got it working in VR!

chrono01

Man, I'm so glad to hear that everyone is enjoying it. Judging from the demo, Iga really is giving us a true Metroidvania experience and, with all eyes on Mighty No. 9 right now (and the way that ended up), I'm sure they're even more determined to do things right and give the fans exactly what they want.

If the survey is still up next month (which it should be, hopefully), I might up-pledge to the $300 tier. This game is hitting all of the right notes with me.

Honey Bunny

Has there been a mention of estimated game length? I haven't followed the campaign but I'm thinking about getting a physical copy after watching the demo.

HotHamBoy

It looks like it moves and plays EXACTLY like an Iga Castlevania. That's what people want.

kubricks

The demo exceeded all my expectations! That SOTN feeling came flooding in as soon as the background music starts.... Igarashi you are my hero.

Now that I know the game looks real great... I am not sure it can run smoothly in my Vita. ;_;

varkuriru

Oh mygad!!! have to wait after work to play the demo. Also hoping someone manages to rip the music - need the stage track in my playlist!!!!

Vitacat

The demo exceeded all my expectations! That SOTN feeling came flooding in as soon as the background music starts.... Igarashi you are my hero.

Now that I know the game looks real great... I am not sure it can run smoothly in my Vita. ;_;

I hear you about Vita. But let's see. Vita's relatively low resolution should help with frame rates. Depends on how optimized the port will be.

Top Bottom