• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Just do like I did and go for both!

I was so enamored by this project that I felt the same way at first but then upped my pledge to get the box and a second digital copy so I'd have it on Steam and PS4. That was probably a bad idea, but here we are today!

Yup. PC Digital, PS4 Physical. :3

Berordn

Er, that's a problem. Has the developer commented on this at all? Is it just a demo thing? Because it should be trivial to add support for higher resolutions. 1080p looks awful on my 1440p monitor.

The demo has no options to select at all, so it's probably just a demo thing. A bit early to sound the alarms.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The demo has no options to select at all, so it's probably just a demo thing. A bit early to sound the alarms.

It does let you select your resolution, it just doesn't go past 1080p.

It's actually incredibly bizarre as arbitrary resolution support is baked into UE4, so they had to go out of their way to remove it.

epmode

It's actually incredibly bizarre as arbitrary resolution support is baked into UE4, so they had to go out of their way to remove it.

I forgot this was UE4. That makes it especially crazy.

On the plus side, UE4 increases the chances of an easy third party modification and/or an ini tweak.

Durante

Lol, the demo launches SteamVR and puts itself into VR mode (which obviously doesn't work) for me, and I don't see a simply way to prevent that.

So they didn't bother to disable VR support in UE4, but they did limit the resolution selection?

Edit:
For anyone with the same issue, got to "[game dir]\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty" and rename the "OpenVR" folder to something else (e.g. "OpenVR__")

I've been looking for a good bit of time but I haven't found a way.

You know what's badass? You guys asking questions about how to get somewhere in an environment... in a demo. I feel like in a lot of modern games there's never any question as to how/if you can get somewhere.

Berordn

Does it? I wasn't able to find an option for that anywhere.

There's a good chance I wasn't looking very closely.

The videos and impressions are slowly getting me to back this game.
If you do it high enough (I forget by how much money) and choose the PC version you'll get acces to an early beta.

I backed for $100 on PS4 so I'll get my physical disc with a special Ayami Kojima no art, soundtrack, other whatchamacallits and my name in the credits but no beta since its PS4.

Count me in as another satisfied backer so far. This looks incredible.

I streamed a playthrough of the demo for anyone interested, I also tried to find all the false walls (found 2) and got all the shards except the zombie one (dunno if it even drops anything). Seems there are 3 areas you can't reach (unless the zombie drops something movement related).

The first 3 minutes is just me figuring out why windowed mode was fucking up and whenever the screen goes black it's because I alt-tabbed.

This was fucking great though, I can't wait for the full game.

meppi

Just a quick question. I backed it originally for $100 so I get to pick between a physical copy for either PS4 or Vita. But I'd actually like both.
Will the game get a normal retail release as well or are the physical editions only for backers?
If so I'll put in another 60$ at fangamer. :)

Wagram

Read the last few pages.

Just backed my first Kickstarter. Got the $60 tier, now to find a way to get that demo lol

I don't think you can unless they changed the requirements.

"Who gets the demo? We'll be sending it to everybody who pledged at a $60 tier or higher and filled out their backer survey by June 13. "

Zalusithix

Lol, the demo launches SteamVR and puts itself into VR mode (which obviously doesn't work) for me, and I don't see a simply way to prevent that.

So they didn't bother to disable VR support in UE4, but they did limit the resolution selection?

Edit:
For anyone with the same issue, got to "[game dir]\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty" and rename the "OpenVR" folder to something else (e.g. "OpenVR__")

Heh, thanks in advance. It'll save me some time tonight if I decide to give it a whirl.

Have to say I'm not a fan of the shader combination they ended up using, I think it was 3 for the cartoony models and 1 for the realistic backgrounds?

It should have been either 3/3 or 1/1, the styles just clash and don't work well together.

Just a quick question. I backed it originally for $100 so I get to pick between a physical copy for either PS4 or Vita. But I'd actually like both.
Will the game get a normal retail release as well or are the physical editions only for backers?
If so I'll put in another 60$ at fangamer. :)

I think we'll get a retail release of at least the PS4 and X1 releases but I wouldn't hold my breath for a WiiU or Vita retail release of Bloodstained in 2017. It may happen but I wouldnt bet on it.

If you're willing to do it just back it again for $60 with another account and go for the Vita copy. Im not sure if you can just add $60 to your existing pledge and choose the Vita physical copy.
Have to say I'm not a fan of the shader combination they ended up using, I think it was 3 for the cartoony models and 1 for the realistic backgrounds?

It should have been either 3/3 or 1/1, the styles just clash and don't work well together.

What are you talking about? They went with 3/3. That combination got more than half the votes, in fact.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

"Who gets the demo? We'll be sending it to everybody who pledged at a $60 tier or higher and filled out their backer survey by June 13. "

Yeah, the deadline is what stopped me from slacker-pledging $60 yesterday. The latest update says that the demo will only be playable for a few months, so the offer should really run until, say, a week before the expiration date. "Leaving money on the table" and all that.

Yeah, the deadline is what stopped me from slacker-pledging $60 yesterday. The latest update says that the demo will only be playable for a few months, so the offer should really run until, say, a week before the expiration date. "Leaving money on the table" and all that.

If you slack-back this for $60 or more and choose PC you will get access to an early beta, though. And it'll be a much bigger taste than this tiny demo.

Consider that.

JaseC

If you slack-back this for $60 or more and choose PC you will get access to an early beta, though. And it'll be a much bigger taste than this tiny demo.

Consider that.

I'm not interested in the demo as much as I am the separate Steam app it's tied to.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well this demo is bloody fantastic.

It got a liiiitle awkward when I saw the boss design though.

I was playing the demo at work and everybody watching went "uuuuuuuuhhhhhnmmmmmm"

Yeah. Meant possibly someone with spare codes.

I was playing the demo at work and everybody watching went "uuuuuuuuhhhhhnmmmmmm"

Yeah. I don't really have a problem with sexualization until it becomes legitimately awkward. My gf watches me play games all the time and it's weird when you see stuff like that and excessive boob jiggle, but even this makes me feel awkward.

Hopefully they tone the design down before launch. It's just unnecessary. I'm all for sexiness, but not stupidity.

JaseC

Im not sure Im following.

I collect Steam games. Not to the degree that I did from the Summer Sale of 2012 to March of this year, but still enough that I'd be willing to fork over $60 for the demo and the final game given that they're separate entities on Steam.

meppi

I think we'll get a retail release of at least the PS4 and X1 releases but I wouldn't hold my breath for a WiiU or Vita retail release of Bloodstained in 2017. It may happen but I wouldnt bet on it.

If you're willing to do it just back it again for $60 with another account and go for the Vita copy. Im not sure if you can just add $60 to your existing pledge and choose the Vita physical copy.
That's what I'm fearing as well...

Not sure if I can still up my Kickstarter pledge.
But doing a second pledge of 60 on Fangamer wouldn't be a problem. Really want as many games as possible on Vita to be physical since my cards are filled to the brim.

Foffy

Banned
Well this demo is bloody fantastic.

Explain to them that apparently, Vepar is a male.

Not. even. kidding.

I think it's likely the June 13 cutoff was to determine how many codes had to be generated in total. I doubt they have more codes than what was needed.

Crocodile

Explain to them that apparently, Vepar is a male.

Not. even. kidding.

Gender tends to be somewhat fluid for demons in demonic lore
Vepar is often depicted and described as a mermaid (a female form)
There is no reason for the artists to be slavish devoted to their inspirations

GOOCHY

I went from cautiously optimistic to "I'm in!" after seeing videos this morning. Threw down the $60 for a physical PS4 copy. SoTN is easily a top 5 game for me, possibly my favorite period.

JaseC

I think it's likely the June 13 cutoff was to determine how many codes had to be generated in total. I doubt they have more codes than what was needed.

Developers are free to generate as many keys as they wish, though, and can do so via the Steamworks Product Data site. There's no point (within reason) at which Valve will step in and say "No", in part because Steam's key format has a total of 15^36 possible permutations. If Fangamer doesn't have a key distribution system, then that's probably the explanation behind the announcement of the E3 demo release and the deadline being just days apart.

Durante

So unlocking the resolution the game presents at didn't work with the simple methods I tried, and I don't think a complex method is merited for this pre-demo.

HOWEVER

It is possible to use UE4's built-in downsampling feature with the game, and render it at up to 3840x2160 that way!

The difference in clarity (both texture-wise and for things like outlines) as well as motion stability is very stark.
As is, of course, the performance impact. But on high-end systems 4k shouldn't be an issue.

Top Bottom