• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima hiring for "next gen MGS series"

WARP10CK

Banned
Nirolak said:
Now that PES is in shambles and getting more shambly by the year, this is pretty much the only major video game money maker for Konami.

Hmm they are squeezing every last drop out of the MGS franchise and why do I get the feeling that Rising will be a game that I will hate??

Oh well they have to do something too keep Konami afloat remember E3 ?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Chinner said:
okay, first step, take all creative responsibility away from kojima.

thats it, thats how you fix metal gear.
You can keep telling yourself that, but Peace Walker proved that once you take away next gen hardware production manpower away from said hardware, and apply that energy towards lower tech design, the quality barometer goes through the roof and volume of said quality results in a finer product.

What I'm trying to say is: Taking away Kojima isn't the solution; MGS4's fumbles blind you from the truth, as those same fumbles are simply his M.O. for first gen output. Look at MGS2, then 3. Look at MGS4, then PW. For all we know, Kojima's "MGS5" will be his second PW, so to speak.

Chinner

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
You can keep telling yourself that, but Peace Walker proved that once you take away next gen hardware production manpower away from said hardware, and apply that energy towards lower tech design, the quality barometer goes through the roof and volume of said quality results in a finer product.

What I'm trying to say is: Taking away Kojima isn't the solution; MGS4's fumbles blind you from the truth, as those same fumbles are simply his M.O. for first gen output. Look at MGS2, then 3. Look at MGS4, then PW. For all we know, Kojima's "MGS5" will be his second PW, so to speak.
yeah,
so theres this giant robot, and they upload the bosses personality to it, and then it saves the world by singing some japanese music which is a metaphor for the boss not wanting to fight. to stop the world from blowing up, the boss (now a gigantic robot dog) starts to drown itself (a robot) and replaces all the nuclear target signs with peace symbols. this along with the japanese singing convinces everyone not to blow each other up. Otacons dad (who looks, sounds and does the same job as otacon) says "It's not using its brain...its using its heart".

oh im sorry kojima, what wonderful art you produce.

Boney

Banned
Chinner said:
yeah,
so theres this giant robot, and they upload the bosses personality to it, and then it saves the world by singing some japanese music which is a metaphor for the boss not wanting to fight. to stop the world from blowing up, the boss (now a gigantic robot dog) starts to drown itself (a robot) and replaces all the nuclear target signs with peace symbols. Otacons dad (who looks, sounds and does the same job as otacon) says "It's not using its brain...its using its heart".

Problem is, that's not the worst part. Still, the game was pretty awesome.

Chinner said:
yeah,
so theres this giant robot, and they upload the bosses personality to it, and then it saves the world by singing some japanese music which is a metaphor for the boss not wanting to fight. to stop the world from blowing up, the boss (now a gigantic robot dog) starts to drown itself (a robot) and replaces all the nuclear target signs with peace symbols. this along with the japanese singing convinces everyone not to blow each other up. Otacons dad (who looks, sounds and does the same job as otacon) says "It's not using its brain...its using its heart".

It's not
a Japanese song. It was a song made for Sesame Street.

Zenith

Banned
I'm playing MGS3 for the first time and I have to say it's my least fav MGS game so far. Enemies finally have a realistic FOV but you're stuck with that horrible top-down camera (Subsistence costs triple figures). They've taken away your soliton radar and none of those replacement sensors are any good. Thermal goggles are more use. Two of them emit beeps that attract enemy attention ffs. Terrible controls. Also someone on GAF mentioned how Big Boss has what seems to be textbook Asperger's Syndrome and it's really standing out. Every weird comment he makes or little bit of Kojima humor suddenly seems to be a result of being a handicapped child.

Metal Gear Solid is my favourite series but Kojima has made other brilliant games too. I'd like to see him do something original. That said, I have no interest in a Metal Gear directed by anyone other than Kojima. Rising, this means you.

rvy

Banned
Chinner said:
yeah,

I can't keep reading this stuff. It's so bad I'm unable to contain my laughter for minutes.

Barakov

Gold Member
MGS5, or whatever they decide to call it, is all well and good but I'd like to see some actual gameplay from Rising.

Barakov said:
MGS5, or whatever they decide to call it, is all well and good but I'd like to see some actual gameplay from Rising.

MGS4 had more gameplay than the vast majority of games in its genre

The key is cut down on the longwinded cutscenes

Barakov

Gold Member
revolverjgw said:
MGS4 had more gameplay than the vast majority of games in its genre

The key is cut down on the longwinded cutscenes

What I meant is I'd like to see more gameplay that has currently been shown so far with the the watermelon tech demo and the short snippets of Raiden cutting up some stuff and some mercs in the most recent trailer.

Arnie

Nirolak said:
Now that PES is in shambles and getting more shambly by the year, this is pretty much the only major video game money maker for Konami.
It's pretty clear you haven't played this years PES.

Barakov said:
What I meant is I'd like to see more gameplay that has currently been shown so far with the the watermelon tech demo and the short snippets of Raiden cutting up some stuff and some mercs in the most recent trailer.

Ohhhhh gotcha, yeah

RagnarokX

Kojima keeps on rollin'

1zvs95t.jpg

Ellis Kim

Banned
Chinner said:
yeah,
<snipped for space>

1) Awesome, fallacious internet arguments. What does any of that have to do with what I'm talking about again? Did you just burn through the main missions and never check out anything that might be considered extra content? You cannot deny that the cutscene to gameplay ratio is closer to MGS1, or even better, in comparison to every entry in the series since. If you take Kojima out of the equation, what do you get but generic military spec ops?
2) Did you play the game in Japanese or something? Is the song different in that version? You'd either have to be incredibly culturally deprived, born in the mid 90's, or have attention deficiency disorder, because the song comes up multiple times throughout the game, and it even goes to the pains of describing the song fairly early on when its heard through a cassette recording.
3) @Fimbulvetr: I had no idea that song was a Seseme Street song :x

Do you guys really not understand the usage of 'next-gen?' It's the same reason 2011's Madden will be called Madden 2012, and so on for every sports game. I don't see you guys complaining about that.

GavinGT

Banned
You don't need a new generation to have better CG. In fact, I don't think he's referring to the next console generation at all. Maybe he simply wants WETA-quality CG in his next MGS game. You could even make the case that some of those VGA trailers represented a significant enough step up to be called next gen CG. That would make sense, because he's obviously making a current-gen game, given that he wants people with 360/PS3 experience.

Tabz

Honestly,It would be better if he saved his next MGS for next gen(PS4/xboxwtver).Just do something else now.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Carnival attendance sure ain't what it used to be...

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope he is indeed doing something original next. I'd be really frustrated if he directed yet another MGS game. Just leave it to someone else. Jeez.

Top Bottom