• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima hiring for "next gen MGS series"

Kusagari said:
It's hard to say though if Konami is pushing these games on him or if he legitimately loves the series too much to make anything else.

Konami would be much smarter to push Kojima in the direction of creating a new IP. There are several people at KojiPro that could handle MGS, so they really don't need him to direct it.

He's said that he wants to announce his next game at TGS. That's one reason that I find it hard to believe that it will be another MGS title. It really wouldn't make sense for them to be marketing two new console MGS titles at the same time.

Chinner

Banned
Danielsan said:
Please stop fucking around with the MGS story and create something new for god's sake.It's already a ridiculous non-nonsensical convoluted mess at this point. Best to start from scratch. Ooh and please hire an editor...
Not going to happen. Kojima is the George Lucas of the video game industry. The problem is that he's surrounded by yes men; no one is going to go up to him and be like "Kojima, your script is terrible and has too much anime in it. Sort it the fuck out".

Instead it's "Do you rike it?", "aww yes we rike we rike".

duckroll

Kojima needs to make games which sell. Otherwise he cannot maintain his team. Konami has given Kojima a lot of creative freedom. If the other games Kojima Productions released sold well, there would be more of them and less of MGS. But when they don't sell well, and yet traditional MGS continues to sell very well, then it's not like Kojima has much of a choice himself. They tried Boktai, it failed. They tried to rebrand and reboot Boktai, it failed. They tried ZoE, it failed. They tried ZoE with higher production values and a much better director, it failed. They tried a cool and alternative Metal Gear spinoff, it failed. They tried it again with celshading and a pseudo-3D cardboard viewer, it failed.

Yet every single MGS game directed by Kojima is a success, especially in Japan. What can Kojima do?

Chinner said:

No, it's much much worse than that. :(

Chinner said:
Not going to happen. Kojima is the George Lucas of the video game industry. The problem is that he's surrounded by yes men; no one is going to go up to him and be like "Kojima, your script is terrible and has too much anime in it. Sort it the fuck out".

Interesting considering that his original MGS4 ending was changed because his staff told him that they didn't like it (apparently it was too depressing). That doesn't really sound like the person you're describing.

shaowebb

Perhaps he's merely talking about Next gen graphics.

The Adobe CS5 series just hit and it's got some serious power. That and Autodesk Mudbox have been creating some line blurring stuff lately when used in conjunction.

I wouldn't be surprised if he creates an entirely new stealth series filled with it's own intrigue to fit this.

Synless

SolidSnakex said:
Interesting considering that his original MGS4 ending was changed because his staff told him that they didn't like it (apparently it was too depressing). That doesn't really sound like the person you're describing.
He should have left it. I wanted a depressing ending, I wanted Snake to kill himself. It would have been a far more dramatic and better ending.

Chinner

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
True, that one example does prove otherwise, but that really links into my comment about Kojima being spineless. As Duckroll says, MGS is one of Konamis last AAA titles, the alternative ending would of limited the franchise in terms of potential sequels. This is simply Konami putting their foot down.

Kojima isn't a direct equivalent to Lucas; Lucas is a business man and a cunt while Kojima appears to be more innocent. Still, I stand by my statement. Especially when it comes to script writing and gameplay/cutscene structuring. Kojima is still stuck in the 90s.

Synless said:
He should have left it. I wanted a depressing ending, I wanted Snake to kill himself. It would have been a far more dramatic and better ending.

Well, he wasn't going to kill himself in the original ending.
In the original ending Snake and Otacon were going to turn themselves in to the government and they were going to be executed for war crimes. The ending theme is a good indication that this is the direction that he wanted to go in. 'Here's to You' is a song about two men that were executed. It doesn't really make sense in MGS4 with it's current ending, but with the original ending it would've made complete sense.

Synless

SolidSnakex said:
The original ending was that Otacon and Snake were going to turn themselves in and they were going to be executed for war crimes. The ending theme is a good indication that this is the direction that he wanted to go in. 'Here's to You' is a song about two men that were executed. It doesn't really make sense in MGS4 with it's current ending, but with the original ending it would've made complete sense.
I hate Kojima now, I want that ending :(

SolidSnakex said:
The original ending was that Otacon and Snake were going to turn themselves in and they were going to be executed for war crimes. The ending theme is a good indication that this is the direction that he wanted to go in. 'Here's to You' is a song about two men that were executed. It doesn't really make sense in MGS4 with it's current ending, but with the original ending it would've made complete sense.
Wow, as bittersweet as it is, I would have liked the original more.

Chinner

Banned
I like that ending, but the problem with it is that it really doesn't fit the general tone of MGS4. It's too serious and a bit of a downer. MGS4 basically got the ending it deserved; a silly stupid anime ending sequence were everything is fine.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjYE7GkZg-]It's kind of weird watching the MGS4 2005 TGS trailer[/URL], it's got a much more serious tone to it, and the alternative ending would of probably worked with that.

Chinner said:
True, that one example does prove otherwise, but that really links into my comment about Kojima being spineless. As Duckroll says, MGS is one of Konamis last AAA titles, the alternative ending would of limited the franchise in terms of potential sequels. This is simply Konami putting their foot down.

Kojima isn't a direct equivalent to Lucas; Lucas is a business man and a cunt while Kojima appears to be more innocent. Still, I stand by my statement. Especially when it comes to script writing and gameplay/cutscene structuring. Kojima is still stuck in the 90s.

So he both spinelessly backs down and is also surrounded by sycophants and yes men? What does any of this have to do with the '90's?

edit: I guess I'm expecting too much from the critical faculties of a duck.

I don't mind another MGS console. As long as it's like MGS3/PW and nowhere near like MGS4.

Question is, will this be a prequel or something or a new character?

They already have a team who worked on the PS3.
Rising has long in production, for the PS3, 360, PC.
MGS3DS has long been in production, for 3DS.

I only see four possibilities:

1. PSP2 MGS game, which feels like the most likely possibility, since the hardware will be the latest one. Details are still all hush hush about the hardware itself. The "next gen" thing would most likely refer to just the PSP2 or 3DS.

2. They're simply looking for more people to hire to work on whatever's currently in production already.

3. Wii MGS game, but the Wii is not something you'd call "next gen".

4. This is a ninja call for Wii2 devs.
Or maybe Sega Phoenix

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Despite Kojima's games being one of the reasons why I got into gaming, I'd like to see him focused only a Producer role, and leaving the directing & writing roles to other people.

I'd like to see some kind of reboot as well, with another perspective and style from someone in KojiPro like Shuyo Murata.

Chinner

Banned
freethought said:
So he both spinelessly backs down and is also surrounded by sycophants and yes men? What does any of this have to do with the '90's?

edit: I guess I'm expecting too much from the critical faculties of a duck.
I say in the sentence before it, I was referring to the archaic gameplay and his usage of cutscenes.

edit: Heh, 'freethought'.

real edit: I get what you're saying, I was making too much of a blanket statement for dramatic effect. As I said in the post after, he's not a true to Lucas because he doesn't have total creative control and ultimately Konami is in charge. However, he s like Lucas when comes to shoddy script writing and all that. It's pretty clear to everyone that its terrible, yet nothing is done.

I remember Ryan whatshisface totally pimping the ultra innovative opening to MGS4 which involved real actors. It was terrible. What happened to that guy anyway?

Wolf Akela said:
They already have a team who worked on the PS3.
Rising has long in production, for the PS3, 360, PC.
MGS3DS has long been in production, for 3DS.

I only see four possibilities:

1. PSP2 MGS game, which feels like the most likely possibility, since the hardware will be the latest one. Details are still all hush hush about the hardware itself. The "next gen" thing would most likely refer to just the PSP2 or 3DS.

2. They're simply looking for more people to hire to work on whatever's currently in production already.

3. Wii MGS game, but the Wii is not something you'd call "next gen".

4. This is a ninja call for Wii2 devs.
Or maybe Sega Phoenix

Er, OP says PC/360/PS3 experience.

Chinner said:
I say in the sentence before it, I was referring to the archaic gameplay and his usage of cutscenes.

edit: Heh, 'freethought'.

Oh right, sorry.

I don't get your edit though.

edit: Meh, as bad as Kojima's dialogue gets, it will never reach the horrendous levels of the PT. Okay, that's an overstatement, but MGS was always like that, it's a known quantity.

Arrgh, I just hate George Lucas!!!

double edit: I still think you're overstating Kojima's level of control. He writes his script in Japanese and hands it off to translators. Cage is a much better analogue imo. He chose to write the HR script in his second language, kept full control over the VA and the result was awful. Kojima's just a crappy writer and there's nobody on staff better than him at it. He also doesn't shit out scripts weeks before he shoots and I'll bet he did more than one draft.

Goddamn I really do detest George Lucas.

gogogow

They only had their first meeting about their KP game since last October, so yeah, no way this is for this gen. Gonna take another 3-4 years for "a Hideo Kojima/MGS5 game". Rising, which is a gaiden, is already taking way too long with no release date in sight (3 years in production?!).

Nirolak said:
Now that PES is in shambles and getting more shambly by the year, this is pretty much the only major video game money maker for Konami.

Nah, Castlevania is still pretty lucrative too

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
Is Rising still a PC title? I've noticed that they've removed the PC mention from the system list for Rising

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/english/lineup/metal.html
http://konami.com/games/browse/?gameType=Coming_Soon

It seems like they secretly canned the PC version.
Did Konami ever confirm there was a PC version? On none of the Konami sites (official MGSR site or Konami E3 portal sites is the PC version mentioned.
This is a screencap of the first trailer from 2009.

O1S0Z.jpg

Chinner said:

I have an idea. Kojima should hire Naoki Maeda as his MGS editor.

Col Campbell: Snake, you cannot defeat Metal Gear Rex! You have to upload the virus to disable its weapons shield! Hurry, do the 5 X star dance move combo to upload the virus!

Chinner said:
I remember Ryan whatshisface totally pimping the ultra innovative opening to MGS4 which involved real actors. It was terrible. What happened to that guy anyway?

Ryan Payton is working with 343 industries on the next halo game(s).

A MGS game without Kojima is not a MGS game.... So i hope he keep doing them or help doing them forever and ever.... Because the series will lose its fire without him.

zlatko

Banned
He should hire me for his marketing rep in the west. I'll just convince everyone that it's the second coming of Christ. Hype train will be over 9000!

Completely reboot it. New characters, set in near future, story involving robots (and no clones). Make us feel like we're playing a turning point in gaming history again, like MGS1.

Meanwhile, tether Kojima to a ZOE3 workstation and threaten to go all Misery on his ass.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
jett said:
Kojima should stay far away from this game.

And at one point MGS2 was MGSIII. But it isn't now. There is no MGS5.

The MGSIII was meant to represent the setting (something with Manhattan, IIRC) and "controversial". In the paper it was MGS2 from the get-go.

EDIT: From the Grand Game Plan:

Metal Gear Solid III

Written as MGSIII for short. The three Roman numerals symbolize the three tallest skyscrapers in Manhattan, the setting for the game.

Instead of proceeding on to MGS2, as one might expect, we are making MGS3. The question in peoples’ minds, ‘Why is it 3 and not 2?’ will have a big impact.

Rolf NB

Kojipro intent on making more entries in its most successful franchise. STOP THE PRESSES!

Next-gen handhelds?
_dementia said:
Isn't next-gen another term for now-gen?
You mean the current gen?

Boney

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Anyway, no matter the console, My body is ready... Loved MGS4 (Acts 1 and 2)
So did I, but that's like 40% of the game. I expected it to get better, not leaving me saying wat everytime characters spoke.

Still, even though PW is just as stupid, it was still 100% awesome in terms of gaming. So I'm still listening.

Top Bottom