• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima on Silent Hills camera perspective & world design

DrunkDan

Would be a touch pointless to have Norman Reedus if the game was first person all the way through, so I'd imagine it will be a combination of both.

dili

A Silent Hill game needs to be third-person, no question about it.
iirc I remember Team Silent throwing around the idea of going entirely first person after SH4 but that they'd be worried fans wouldn't be accepting of it. So it's not like this would be some modern design choice by people unfamiliar with the series done to better suit today's gaming audience as team silent themselves had that interest, 10 years ago.

First persons great for atmospheric games like PT. I have always found third person games that try to set a tone and mood to often lost by the janky animation. Animation will never be perfect and in the case like PT, you would be walking straight into that damn desk and phone over and over again with your guy constantly clipping and walking. Its more apparent in small environments such as the L shaped hall way in PT. First person disguises these problems in the genre.

Thats not to say that it cant be done. Silent hill 2 was fantastic, and even classic RE games, but this game feels like its going for something much different. I look to Gone Home, Amnesia, Slender Man and Deer Esther as good examples. I also found Skyrim to be much more atmospheric in first.

Personally I don't care for an open world Silent Hill. Open world doesn't necessarily mean a better game. Silent Hill doesn't need open world imho, I prefer it to be linear.

Would be a touch pointless to have Norman Reedus if the game was first person all the way through, so I'd imagine it will be a combination of both.

Well for cutscenes. It's not like you're going to continuously look at the character's face if it's third person. Also for the dubbing. And maybe the game is filled with mirrors like the one in the demo (which was covered to not spoil the actor I guess).

Slowdive

Banned
2016 sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind choosing between both first and third person, but I'd most likely play through it in third anyway.

A Silent Hill game needs to be third-person, no question about it.
No it doesn't. It will be a mix of both and both perspectives can make for a great horror game. Sick of people pigeon holing series because of tradition. Let the damn game evolve. Tradition is probably one of the reasons the series went to shit in the first place.

2015: MGSV: The Phantom Pain
2016: Silent Hills

seems pretty good to me.

Cinematics and voice.

That's pretty much his participation even on third person anyway.

I really liked previous Silent Hill's being third person, I don't think only first person is the way to go.
I'd be happy with a mix though. Player choice, like Fallout/ Skyrim? Or maybe first person for puzzles or something?

Melchiah

I really liked previous Silent Hill's being third person, I don't think only first person is the way to go.
I'd be happy with a mix though. Player choice, like Fallout/ Skyrim? Or maybe first person for puzzles or something?

First person for (some) indoor segments maybe.

Agreed. Especially in the face of all this first-person survival-horror we've been getting lately. There's an absurd amount of it.

I don't mind certain sections being first-person only though, a la The Room. That was one of the very few design choices in the game that worked out well.
Agree here as well, I hope most of the game is TPV, but having some FPV moments won't be bad, it was super interesting and scary in the P.T demo.

& I'm totally fine with a 2016 release, I don't want to get all the horror titles out at the same time, and be left with non for a couple of years or more.

Chabbles

2016?!

post-47633-Planes-Trains-and-Automobiles-dogq.gif

Let them take their time and make a good game, no rush job! It almost 2015 already, it'l go be like that!

Let them take their time and make a good game, no rush job! It almost 2015 already, it'l go be like that!

I'm not saying they should rush it out for 2015! I just bloody hate these publishers announcing their games so long before they come out, while we're all left here twiddling our thumbs and checking the calendar. Out of sight, out of mind.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think using P.T as an indication of what Silent Hills will be like other then how terrifying it was is a big mistake, the teaser says the teaser is not related in form to the Silent Hills and does not represent it either.
So its best to clear your head of what P.T is like because it's not what the game will be like, only thing you can take from it is Silent Hill is in good hands.

legacyzero

Banned
Are you sure you wanna do this Kojima? The Hardcore Silent Hill community is a pretty picky, and vocal one. (I'm one of em)

That said, I was VERY impressed by the PT demo. I can only hope that the quality of the demo matches the quality of the final release.

KAOz

Short bus special
Are you sure you wanna do this Kojima? The Hardcore Silent Hill community is a pretty picky, and vocal one. (I'm one of em)

Me too. Though not as vocal anymore.
BUT! Of course he wants to do this. If Konami can release an action-RPG Silent Hill, a lightgun shooter, Downpour with stereo-only sound (NO 5.1 IN SILENT HILL!?) For PS3 and fucking Homecoming, he can sure as hell switch the camera around.
It's probably the most sane idea they had for the franchise for years.

2016? Expected. Not terribly far off, and I want them to take their sweet time.

The perspective? Sounds like they're really going to be smart about it.

Someone tell Kojima to get a PS2 and play the original SH games on it.

Nah, apparently he prefers getting inspiration from generic found footage movies.
I don't have much hope for this having atmosphere on par with the originals. Clearly, they want this to be movie-like, even though the best part of survival horror is usually that it's nothing like horror movies. Even Resident Evil, which is said to be like b-tier zombie flicks in cutscenes, actually was something entirely unique outside of that back then.

I'm definitely okay with switching perspectives. That's one of the things I really liked about The Room.

As for open world, me getting lost in the first two games quite a bit the first time I played them would like to think that's not a new thing for Silent Hill.

TGO

Me too. Though not as vocal anymore.
BUT! Of course he wants to do this. If Konami can release an action-RPG Silent Hill, a lightgun shooter, Downpour with stereo-only sound (NO 5.1 IN SILENT HILL!?) For PS3 and fucking Homecoming, he can sure as hell switch the camera around.
It's probably the most sane idea they had for the franchise for years.
But that NOT the idea, P.T is not Silent Hills and is not related to it in any shape or form, it blatantly says so at the end of the teaser.
The only thing we've seen of Silent Hills was after P.T mini game.

Third person when you're in big areas and first person when you're in small ones (corridors and stuff, like in the demo)

Perfect, i was just about to say this.

3rd person outside big open environments
silent%20hill-468x.jpg

1st person whenever you enter a house
SH21.jpg

best of both worlds.

Do not make the mistake of making it 3rd person only Mr.Kojima.

Grisby

2016 is fine. I want a third person view though, maybe with some first person stuff sprinkled about.

I mean, if you're going to use Reedus then feature him in his full glory (plus I don't think Silent Hill needs to go completely third person).

TGO

Perfect, i was just about to say this.

3rd person outside big open environments
silent%20hill-468x.jpg

1st person whenever you enter a house
SH21.jpg

best of both worlds.

Do not make the mistake of making it 3rd person only Mr.Kojima.
I'd say 1st person under special circumstances, like being stuck in a house, unarmed with a violent poltergeist.
Or like in SH3 when you visit the haunted house.
everything else should be a mixture of 3rd person and dynamic fixed camera work.

KAOz

Short bus special
But that NOT the idea, P.T is not Silent Hills and is not related to it in any shape or form, it blatantly says so at the end of the teaser.
The only thing we've seen of Silent Hills was after P.T mini game.

Oh, I know. I was going after what was stated in the OP with "We havent decided on 1st or 3rd person. We might do both."

DVCY201

No it doesn't. It will be a mix of both and both perspectives can make for a great horror game. Sick of people pigeon holing series because of tradition. Let the damn game evolve. Tradition is probably one of the reasons the series went to shit in the first place.

Um, right, that's totally how it went.

I'm down for a mixture of first and third person, but if we are exploring the town of Silent Hill and not narrow corridors, I'd much prefer third person.

Grief.exe

Not all people are able to play 1st person games. Me included. I even had problems to play P.T.

We all already live a life in 1st person view. But giving this effect multiplied by 2, causes motion sickness by many people.

I can't play 1st person games at all, without getting an headache or literally have to...

giphy.gif

Are you playing on PC or console? I have noticed that myself, and others, get motion sickness problems with a low FOV.

Console games generally restrict their players to lower FOVs to save on performance, but on PC you can put them quite high which makes the game more playable.

Top Bottom