• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima on why he partnered with Sony (translation of French interview)

Daria

Not many devs have this amount of freedom, Kojima working without any creative restrictions is very exciting. I hope Sony and Kojima can continue this relationships for a long time.

They need to hire that man to be the head of their first party titles when he decides to stop developing his own

J-Skee

Too much creative freedom can lead to something bad. Someone has to say something when they think it's being taken too far. I'm kind of thinking that's what Cerny is for.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
kojimayhj84.gif

Come on Kojima, don't walk so fast, you're outpacing the lighting! This isn't your first on stage show! Rookie mistake.

cheezcake

Going with the leader isn't always a smart move.

Uh you're going to have to elaborate? Taking a developer perspective, the only way this is true is if the competition offers you enough cash to offset loss in sales due to smaller potential market, or, your target demo favors the non market-leader by a degree significant enough to offset the difference in market size.

Good news!

Wait wait wait wait, really???

Ridley327

Uh you're going to have to elaborate? Taking a developer perspective, the only way this is true is if the competition offers you enough cash to offset loss in sales due to smaller potential market, or, your target demo favors the non market-leader by a degree significant enough to offset the difference in market size.

It was announced right away when they revealed the studio and Sony's involvement.

Nzyme32

Well I mean, he has a longer history with Sony, both are based in Japan, the PS4 install base is over double the competition right now. If I was starting a new game dev company with ambitions as high as his going first party to start off with is a smart move. Literally everything about it makes perfect sense. And this coming from someone who would desperately like Death Stranding to come to PC.

It will be after an exclusivity period. Anyway, I can't see what Kojima is doing "wrong" or that he is "a sony fanboy" as the previous guy posted. Like you say, he has the longer history there and the support is certainly something he is going to need as he gets his company together and up to speed. Kojima was on PC long ago and left like many others developers when I assume Konami saw little success going on in the platform till things started to turn around.

Personally, I think Kojima will be making a pretty large game and it will take a long time, perhaps longer than PS4 & Neo will be around for. I don't really mind either; as long as he gets to do the game he wants with the scope and scale he wants, I'm happy waiting

Daria

What does console power has to do with anything? Relax kid, no need to get your knickers in a bunch.

Listen here, kiddo. Kojima wants to make the best game possible that he can. No other company was going to give him all of the resources he needs. Now if you really think that Microsoft would have gave him this sort of freedom on a smaller install base than Sony, you're mistaken. Unless you really think spending 5 years of dev time to only cater to a small number of core fans is a good idea.

LQX

Yeah, lets see if they feel the same way in 3 years and cost nearing $100 plus million.

Anyone who could have afforded it would have bent over backwards to work with him and he knows it.

Very far from the truth .
When you hear the stories about titan fall and destiny you know that is not the case .
And the people behind them made games that sold way more than MGS.

cheezcake

It was announced right away when they revealed the studio and Sony's involvement.

Keeeeeeeeeen, I don't know how I missed that. I'd also like to add I think it's very admirable that a company as big as Sony is giving him this degree of creative freedom. We really need more video games which are just the outputs of an individuals crazy train of thought as opposed to the ultra focus-tested and safe titles we get now.

Tripolygon

Banned
Not many devs have this amount of freedom, Kojima working without any creative restrictions is very exciting. I hope Sony and Kojima can continue this relationships for a long time.

Another dev who has that freedom is David Cage. Even though some people love to hate on him around these parts.

well the catch is PS4 version will come first, they'll worry about porting it to PC later

univbee

Wow, so he doesnt even need to pitch his game to them? He just...starts on it? As awesome and more talented as Kojima is than me, even a chump like me wouldnt let him do that. Thats an enormous amount of trust.

It sounds like he still pitched the game, but was able to do so a lot more informally. Like he could go have a beer with someone important at Sony and just shoot the shit on some great new idea he had. Normally, you need a lot more than a friendly chat to get anywhere, you need PowerPoints and data and proof-of-concept stuff and that's a significant undertaking unto itself that, at the end of the day, doesn't accomplish much as far as your game's actual development is concerned.

The thing is Kojima has an incredible pedigree, who has wacky ideas for games but unlike a lot of people he has the skills to bring his ideas to life, he's not a dev whose last game was released last millennium with a reputation for burning piles of money and delays with nothing to show for it, and he's one of very very few game developers who's had constant success for the last 30 years, and has been partnered with Sony almost as long as Sony's been doing games at all.

Erevador

Sony has money to burn on prestige. Having Kojima in their roster makes them look like the big dogs they are. They don't care if he goes over budget, he's a huge boon to the Sony brand.

Sony is on a hell of a streak. It became clear at this E3 that they are going to occupy a unique position in the console market that may be come increasingly unassailable, similar to the position Apple holds in a few markets.

Crayon

There is a conversation to be had about sony's handling of teams/talent and those relationships. Ive heard it mentioned that it may have to do with music and movie studio experience.

After this e3, im kernly interested in how they are doing it because they demonstrated a technolology gap. Their teams are producing uncharted-like quality across the board.

Tiberius

In the itw we learn that when looking for his 3d engine, kojima visited sony's san diego performance capture studio, and he wanted to do some capture tests as fast as possible,Sony postponed a project to let kojima do his tests

prwxv3

Too much creative freedom can lead to something bad. Someone has to say something when they think it's being taken too far. I'm kind of thinking that's what Cerny is for.

This is most likely the case. He is a amazing producer.

I sure hope Sony isn't making a mistake here.
After missing out on a few key projects and developers, like the game Remember Me, and From Software exclusivity, I expect them to be more bullish on letting creative folks do what they want.

Kojima is awesome, but if this goes poorly, I could easily see Sony not knowing when to step in and stop/guide him.
I think I used to think Kojima was the greatest game director, and therefore was infallible, but I think Konami wishes they hadn't thought that for so long.

Regardless, either way I get a (probably awesome) game. The difference is whether I get another one afterwards, and whether it takes 5 years for the first one.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yup, this man has been behind so many successful games (especially Sony games), if you read the end credits to some games you will see his name.

Apathy

Yup. It's going to be a console exclusive but it will also be released on the PC. It's a concession they made with kojima to get him

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think he can release this game in about 3 years, like by 2019. Andrew House seems to be a huge fan of Kojima and Mark Cerny is the technical producer for Death Stranding. He has all the support in the world and I don't think it will be a MGSV situation again.

Toni

The guy is a Sony fanboy. I don't think anyone expected him to partner with anyone else but Sony.

Well, Sony is the market leader with a vast lead over the competition. And when you also have a long-standing, positive track record on the PlayStation brand...the total opposite of the previous company you worked with...put all the pieces together and it's a no brainer Sony was their best pick.

It also helps that every Metal Gear Solid sold best on PlayStation.

Its not even a question, he made the best choice.

I sure hope Sony isn't making a mistake here.
After missing out on a few key projects and developers, like the game Remember Me, and From Software exclusivity, I expect them to be more bullish on letting creative folks do what they want.

Kojima is awesome, but if this goes poorly, I could easily see Sony not knowing when to step in and stop/guide him.
I think I used to think Kojima was the greatest game director, and therefore was infallible, but I think Konami wishes they hadn't thought that for so long.

Regardless, either way I get a (probably awesome) game. The difference is whether I get another one afterwards, and whether it takes 5 years for the first one.

Huh? They dropped RM because it wasn't particularly good. And they have a From exclusive in Bloodborne.

ackl

I feel like I've heard this before but I guess it's nice Kojima elaborated a bit more on why he didn't go for 3rd party companies.

Well, Sony is the market leader with a vast lead over the competition. And when you also have a long-standing, positive track record on the PlayStation brand...the total opposite of the previous company you worked with...put all the pieces together and it's a no brainer Sony was their best pick.

It also helps that every Metal Gear Solid sold best on PlayStation.

Its not even a question, he made the best choice.

Guy was a fanboy from the beginning, don't try and twist it. And even if Sony wasn't the market leader, that's who he would have partnered with. I didn't see him making any games for the Wii last gen and they had a much larger lead than the PS4 has over the Xbox.

Listen here, kiddo. Kojima wants to make the best game possible that he can. No other company was going to give him all of the resources he needs. Now if you really think that Microsoft would have gave him this sort of freedom on a smaller install base than Sony, you're mistaken. Unless you really think spending 5 years of dev time to only cater to a small number of core fans is a good idea.

kiddo? Time of the month for you? Look like you getting all excited over nothing, son. I think you need to untangle those knickers.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Makes sense, can't wait to see more of Death Stranding.
Him walking down that stage like a bauss with Mad Max music blasting was easily one of the highlights of this E3. Just chills.

cheezcake

Guy was a fanboy from the beginning, don't try and twist it. And even if Sony wasn't the market leader, that's who he would have partnered with. I didn't see him making any games for the Wii last gen and they had a much larger lead than the PS4 has over the Xbox.

The Wii demographic was dominated by people who would never purchase a kojima game, not to mention the controller is horrible for "hardcore" titles.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kojima and Cerny workin' together

Legend

Top Bottom