• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima recommends reading this speculation of MGSV The Phantom Pain (Spoiler)

miku

j1gxV7d.jpg

Kojima:
Good speculation of MGSV TPP by 2 Japanese best-seller Novelists.

http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_01/
http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_02/

Kojima-san actually told me later on, "She doesn't die in that scene," and that it's left open-ended in the game. All I could think about that was, why didn't you tell me earlier? (laughs)

So Quiet isn't dead for sure after all. I wish she'd come back already. (laughs)

Of course, for this game to close the loop of the saga, there are slight tweaks to characters such as Ocelot who appear throughout the series. And there's the reaction from fans that Eli's "Kingdom of the Flies" arc is unfinished.

From my point of view as a novelist, I can appreciate the impossibility of bringing a story to its completion 28 years after it began, with no loose ends or contradictions. There isn't a person alive who could do it; it'd be weirder if we could. Stories aren't created by machines. There are bound to be things that don't mesh together perfectly ? it's simply human. I see that as a part of this work of art by a human artist, so let's love it for what it is.

I think that dedicating yourself to a single work of art for 28 years, and maintaining a high level of motivation toward that art, is so difficult, so unique, that there are hardly any other people in the world who've experienced what it's like. The very fact that V exists is a tremendous success. It's "mission complete." As for "Kingdom of the Flies," I think it's become an easy target for players who haven't reconciled their mixed emotions about the way the main story ends. It's like a punching bag for dealing with that stress. I guess people don't want to accept that MGS is over. That's my take on the various opinions that have been expressed about the way the "Kingdom of the Flies" arc was left up in the air. Personally I think the game was fine without that chapter.

Yeah, I also think that the exclusion of "Kingdom of the Flies" doesn't actually influence the main story. If "Kingdom of the Flies" had been in there, it would have been a pretty long segment by itself, and if you look at V's story as a whole, adding in "Kingdom of the Flies" as well would disrupt its balance. Unless it was spun off as a separate story entirely, it would ruin the structure of V's narrative. My personal guess is that really, they wanted to release it later as DLC, or something like that.

If you play through V to the end, and then go back and play it again from the beginning, you find that there are no lies in the story or the setting, all the way to the finish. But, there's huge room for interpretation. I think that's what it means to "give the game back to the players." Where in the past we on this side of the screen just listened to the messages told to us by Snake and Big Boss, now each one of us is free to express our own message. Us becoming Big Boss completes the saga. Perhaps that was the ultimate aim of Metal Gear.

omonimo

Banned
I'm not sure to understand. The quote talks about the story in the novel or in MGSV PP? Because it's far behind to be a good story.

KORNdoggy

what a heap of steaming shit.

there is no justification for selling this game unfinished.

"adding in "Kingdom of the Flies" as well would disrupt its balance"

lmao. what is this crap?

As for "Kingdom of the Flies," I think it's become an easy target for players who haven't reconciled their mixed emotions about the way the main story ends. It's like a punching bag for dealing with that stress.

Spot on. It's sad that Eli's subplot has not been finished properly, but it had no bearing on "what does it mean to be Big Boss" theme.

If "Kingdom of the Flies" had been in there, it would have been a pretty long segment by itself, and if you look at V's story as a whole, adding in "Kingdom of the Flies" as well would disrupt its balance. Unless it was spun off as a separate story entirely, it would ruin the structure of V's narrative.

Ah yes, that impeccable structure that would be totally ruined if, say, a mission was just thrown in at random with no buildup or fanfare. No, it'd be crazy to have something like that in MGSV's Chapter 2.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Disrupt the narrative? As opposed to leaving that sub plot unresolved; that just flows perfectly with the narrative.

They couldn't finish the game and that is fine, no game is perfect and it still has lots of hard work put into it, but don't spin it as a good thing!

Mike Golf

I agree with these sentiments. While it would have been great to see the final chapter I wasn't really left bitter after finishing the atory arc of the game. I know many are mad about the
"You're Big Boss and this was your journey"
ending but I honestly appreciated it.

Whompa02

I agree with him, but I also just think the way in which the story was presented wasn't as strong as he may think it was...

They couldn't finish the game and that is fine, no game is perfect and it still has lots of hard work put into it, but don't spin it as a good thing!

The way I see it, they mean it ends just with the scene it should have ended with. Current ending makes you reflect on Big Boss and your role in his plans. Eli's ending would just make you go "yeah, here's the prequel I wanted". Of course, they could have just included Kingdom of the Flies before Episode 46 to avoid that.

and apparently neither does the rest of the game seeing as
you don't even play as him :/

That's precisely the point, though?

convo

Ah yes, that impeccable structure that would be totally ruined if, say, a mission was just thrown in at random with no buildup or fanfare. No, it'd be crazy to have something like that in MGSV's Chapter 2.

A segment which would probably have been a chapter by itself. But really all this seems like trying to say the development process itself and deadlines weren't at fault when it probably had a lot do to with it. Can't change much now since Kojima is gone, he can only try to console people since he's never returning for more.

From my point of view as a novelist, I can appreciate the impossibility of bringing a story to its completion 28 years after it began, with no loose ends or contradictions. There isn't a person alive who could do it; it'd be weirder if we could. Stories aren't created by machines. There are bound to be things that don't mesh together perfectly ? it's simply human. I see that as a part of this work of art by a human artist, so let's love it for what it is.

I don't disagree with this statement, but this feels more like an excuse than anything.

I think down the road this game will be considered timeless. Playing it second time around and it's so much fun.

Story-wise, it had great (and weird) characters, awesome set pieces, and twists that have been MGS signature for all these decades. I don't know what the other fans expected. MGS4 was the last Metal Gear. The one that tied up every loose end. Considering the prequel nature of MGSV, I think Kojima and his team did a pretty damn good job even coming up with a plot for this game.

Demoskinos

People still salty about MGSV story lol. Whatever I enjoyed it would have been my GOTY if it wasn't for Life is Strange.

Whenever people talk about that MGS with terrible story that made no sense and half-assed second half of the game I wonder if they realize this description fits MGS4 far more than MGSV

DNAbro

Whenever people talk about that MGS with terrible story that made no sense and half-assed second half of the game I wonder if they realize this description fits MGS4 far more than MGSV

MGS4 was the first MGS I played. I had no idea what was going on and enjoyed that story more than MGSV.

I don't understand. People now hate MGSV? So much for that hype that made the year go by quicker.
People have been saying this for awhile. Great core gameplay, horrible everything else.

KORNdoggy

except it really doesn't. at least the protagonist spoke more then 6 words (exaggeration but still)

watdaeff4

My two favorite games this year (and for the past few years) are MGSV and Bloodborne.

Both have great gameplay;

Both have (IMO) less than great "stories"

It made me realize that I place gameplay >>> story and if the former is there, not all that disappointed if the latter is lacking.

Ban Puncher

Konami wanted to boot it out the door and recoup their investment so KojiPro stitched together what they had to make a functioning product. The narrative suffered but the gameplay didn't (which is kind of an amusing situation for a Metal Gear game).

I'll take the MGSV held together with sticky tape and wishes that we got over Konami washing their hands entirely and cancelling it outright just to hasten their departure from the industry.

But remember, Kojima is just on holiday! MGSV Substitute is coming really, really soon guys!!

Dali

Kojima suggests you read this excuse for a shit story written by this other dude because he can't be bothered to write his own bullshit excuse.

I don't understand. People now hate MGSV? So much for that hype that made the year go by quicker.
MGO3 being ass killed my excitement completely. I haven't touched the campaign for almost 2 months now and hearing about the story doesn't really make me want to go on.

Biggest disappointment of the generation for me by far. Should have spent my money elsewhere.

Omikaru

and apparently neither does the rest of the game seeing as
you don't even play as him :/

I think the point of the game went over your head if you're making that point. Or you're being intentionally ignorant.

Either way I can't blame you because it sucked no matter which way you looked at it.

Permanently A

The gameplay itself is incredible. Its just that the story fell short. And for a series whose long cutscenes and convoluted narrative has been core to its identity for nearly three decades, its somewhat difficult to let it slide.

slash3584

I love the game but come on, the story it's nothing to write about.

I didn't hate the "Twist" but the way it was handled was pure and utter shit.

213372bu

Banned
How can a "novelist" suggest that the cut arc didn't matter?

It left a gaping whole in the story and established why Liquid is out to kill Big Boss and acts the way he does later on. Watching that ending brought a lot to the story, and it sucks for the people that didn't see it.

It was essential, and the last mission was depressingly not satisfying as every other MGS was.

I say this as someone who really likes MGSV, and enjoys the tapes.

Ricky_R

I think the ending was nice, regardless of how obvious it was for me, but everything in between felt like an afterthought.

That's some really stupid spin "yeah this huge subplot that was unfinished and the developer couldn't finish in time, yeah totally intentional". What a load of crock, disappointed in Kojima for trying to spin it like this. Admit your mistakes and move on dude, Jesus. We all make them, it's only human.

MechaX

If you play through V to the end, and then go back and play it again from the beginning, you find that there are no lies in the story or the setting, all the way to the finish. But, there's huge room for interpretation. I think that's what it means to "give the game back to the players." Where in the past we on this side of the screen just listened to the messages told to us by Snake and Big Boss, now each one of us is free to express our own message. Us becoming Big Boss completes the saga. Perhaps that was the ultimate aim of Metal Gear.

Ishmael's lack of facial hair was a straight up lie, you cannot get around this.

Top Bottom