• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Station Officially Suspended/Konami Apologizes For Concerns

Alienous

Something tells me kojima may not be so innocent in all of this.

I think one of two things happened.

1. Kojima tried to protect his team from the Konami restructuring, perhaps refusing downsizing, and got himself caught in the crossfire of that.

2. Kojima wanted another delay and Konami went HAM. "I wanted to push the release date back a bit", "... u fockin wot m8?".

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
He works at Kojima Productions LA.

Guess that's the teams mood right now :/

2015-03-2523_36_32-jaobuop.png

Elandyll

Banned

1. Kojima tried to protect his team from the Konami restructuring, perhaps refusing downsizing, and got himself caught in the crossfire of that.

2. Kojima wanted another delay and Konami went HAM. "I wanted to push the release date back a bit", "... u fockin wot m8?".

3. They wanted him to put his name on a (probabyl inevitable) mobile version of MGS and have his team mostly doing F2Ps for mobile...

(all guesswork of course)

As an aside, Ground Zeroes on steam is 50% off.

Hilariously, both Facebook and Twitter are full of "#AHIDEOKOJIMAGAME". Every post Konami makes is the same.

Pachinko

Such a PR disaster.

They really should just let Kojima out to speak about what's actually going on. Sure, we've all figured out the gist - Konami has burnt out every other franchise they owned and won't make an original IP ever again because it's too risky so they've clearly decided to double down on metal gear.

They'll be looking overseas to hits like assassins creed and call of duty and wonder why they can't make 2 metal gear games annually that compete against those titles and sell 5-10 million each every year.

Scrubbing the creators name off the series means people can't associate metal gear with Kojima , instead just Konami. I'm sure some young marketing executive thought it was straight up genius. The problem is that most of the metal gear fans out there have been playing the series , at the very least - since 1998. Most of these fans quite literally grew up with MGS being a series they could count on every few years. Some are even older, having played it since the NES. These people know who is supposed to be involved with the game.

So I don't know about you guys but I think we'll get resident evil 6 level sequels from here on out. If we're lucky- all future metal gears will be to MGSV what RE5 was to RE4.

Such a PR disaster.

They really should just let Kojima out to speak about what's actually going on. Sure, we've all figured out the gist - Konami has burnt out every other franchise they owned and won't make an original IP ever again because it's too risky so they've clearly decided to double down on metal gear.

They'll be looking overseas to hits like assassins creed and call of duty and wonder why they can't make 2 metal gear games annually that compete against those titles and sell 5-10 million each every year.

Scrubbing the creators name off the series means people can't associate metal gear with Kojima , instead just Konami. I'm sure some young marketing executive thought it was straight up genius. The problem is that most of the metal gear fans out there have been playing the series , at the very least - since 1998. Most of these fans quite literally grew up with MGS being a series they could count on every few years. Some are even older, having played it since the NES. These people know who is supposed to be involved with the game.

So I don't know about you guys but I think we'll get resident evil 6 level sequels from here on out. If we're lucky- all future metal gears will be to MGSV what RE5 was to RE4.

I am pretty much expecting bi-annual or, worse, annual releases and, as such, this will be the last one I buy. His name may not be on the cover and the team aren't getting their recognition, but this will be the last Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions game with Konami.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What the hell. The past 2 years have been so horrible for MGS fans.

What with Hayter and now Kojima both meeting such unfitting ends with the franchise.

I am pretty much expecting bi-annual or, worse, annual releases and, as such, this will be the last one I buy. His name may not be on the cover and the team aren't getting their recognition, but this will be the last Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions game with Konami.

Exactly. After 20+ years with the franchise, I am done after MGSV. I will no longer support the greed of Konami.

So this just really cements the statement: "Fuck Konami after MGV". I just want to get answers on what happened now and I hope someone leaks it.

Kojima gone from MG and Clarkson gone from Top Gear... at least I have Bloodborne

Im sorry but did i miss something? Do we know why this happened or have any kind of actual context? or are people crapping on konami & trying to contextualize all of this based off pure speculation?

Why so much bashing or taking sides when we have 0 idea what actually went down? Seems like a waste of time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im sorry but did i miss something? Do we know why this happened or have any kind of actual context? or are people crapping on konami & trying to contextualize all of this based off pure speculation?

Why so much bashing or taking sides when we have 0 idea what actually went down? Seems like a waste of time.

Because if you look at what a shit company Konami has been for a while now, its no surprise that they managed to fuck this up too.

Justified

Because if you look at what a shit company Konami has been for a while now, its no surprise that they managed to fuck this up too.

I dont know...

The old power let Kojima do what he wanted to do. New power came in and said oh hell naw, as a company you arent our big money maker, fall in line.

Heads bump....When the smoke cleared, they showed him who was boss

Thats my take

ArjanN

I dont know...

The old power let Kojima do what he wanted to do. New power came in and said oh hell naw, as a company you arent our big money maker, fall in line.

Thats my take

Either way they lose, given that Kojima was pretty much the only thing Konami still had going for them.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Some mega, false equivalence right there. It's not similar at all. Clackson was a violent, angry, racist egotist that let his emotions control his actions and let act like an asshole.

Kojima did what exactly? Potentially refused to contine making Metal Gear games. Yep, I can see correlations, definitely.

Did Kojima punch someone over a hot meal?

Except that Kojima isn't a merkin like Clarkson.

Christ, not again. I wasn't trying to compare the ACTIONS of Clarkson and Kojima. We don't even know what Kojima did. I'm comparing the situations. A key figure falling out with a hugely popular entity which will no doubt affect the popularity of a very successful IP.

Calm down guys, good lord.

It's always complicated. #1 seems likely, because it often happens during layoffs. Companies ask the boss to fire people (sometimes to fire everyone and then turn off the lights), sometimes the boss plays the loyal company man and goes down with the ship.

Sometimes the boss says "lol, hell no" ...

If that's the fear, and I've heard it or read it several times now, there's no reason to expect MGS V to be safe from overzealous monetization ideas. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I dont know...

Thats my take

The only thing Konami wound up doing is screwing up their own stocks & freaking out investors. As basically everyone these days knows that all Konami really has left is Metal Gear and Winning Eleven. They went and killed / screwed up most of their other stuff. While they still do music games for the arcades its not the revenue stream it used to be with the scene still slowly dying out in Japan. And Metal Gear literally is Kojima & his team. Without that folks know the series will go to shit or turn into some generic forgettable mess.

They are pretty much flat out screwed now.

Xiraiya

The only thing Konami wound up doing is screwing up their own stocks & freaking out investors. As basically everyone these days knows that all Konami really has left is Metal Gear and Winning Eleven. They went and killed / screwed up most of their other stuff. While they still do music games for the arcades its not the revenue stream it used to be with the scene still slowly dying out in Japan. And Metal Gear literally is Kojima & his team. Without that folks know the series will go to shit or turn into some generic forgettable mess.

They are pretty much flat out screwed now.
Not to mention Kojima himself has already stated that to him, this is the last MGS, which to some of the more hardcore fans just means that anything Konami releases from here on out after TPP won't be canon or regarded as part of the series no matter how hard they try, so popularity will be stifled before it even begins.

It won't stop people from buying them but the odds are good that much of the fanbase for the series will just have no real reason to play those games anymore other than out of curiosity maybe.
The smartest move I think Konami could do with MGS at this point is make a new spinoff from it, drop Solid and go the RISING route with a different character in a different timespan, people had little faith in Rising and it ended up great.

I dont know...

Thats my take

This is basically what I think happened too, but I guess we'll know eventually.

~Kinggi~

Banned
PR disaster of epic proportions. Fire everyone at Konami involved. If Kojima chose to leave, well no need to fire him then.

Mr_L

I suspect that ToraShiro might be heavily restricted to a point, but has anyone heard from him on GAF lately? Not that I expect Tora to have any information to offer, but odds are that we might get an idea of the atmosphere at Konami right now.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I suspect that ToraShiro might be heavily restricted to a point, but has anyone heard from him on GAF lately? Not that I expect Tora to have any information to offer, but odds are that we might get an idea of the atmosphere at Konami right now.

He posted in the community thread.

Well I guess that cements it, we don't know all the facts but this is really "ugly" and definitely suggests that the split between Konami and Kojima is on bad terms regardless of who is causing the problems.

Going there in about two weeks. I'll try to track Kojima down and kidnamp him from his Konami's prison.

And maybe rescue Chico too...

No...please, leave Chico, just...leave him there.

Top Bottom