• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami bringing Suikoden 1 & 2 PSone to PSN and VITA. #isthisreallife #basedkonami

OmegaDL50

In general, I am not really looking for opinions about localization quality from someone who brings up Woolsey's work as a negative.

I understand he was under a lot of constraints with what he was given but I wasn't actually keen on most of the stringent localization policies that happened in the era, so I wasn't so much a jab against Woolsey himself but rather a generalization of translation trends that just were common place in that period.

As one person doing an entire translation on his own without outside help, I can respect what Woolsey did in that regard. Although truncating scripts and lines of dialog, even some sentences or lines translated to a conversation that isn't the same is the source material is kind of where I'm particular iffy against.

I suppose cartridge size and being able to fit two Japanese characters per 2-byte character in English creates an issue of needing to trying to convey the same message with less space to work with.

I'd say if Woosley did a localization project today without the restrictions years ago, it could very well be some amazing stuff on par with Alexander O. Smith.

Of course this is a completely different thing then programming errors that exist in Suikoden II's code, such as the 999,999 Potch glitch, or being able to bust into Matilda early by using the Muse-Maltilda border trick
getting Humphrey and Futch early
to level your characters into the 40's

redhairedking

I've heard wonderful things about this game and the series in general. I am very excited to finally have the opportunity to jump in!

Basically. A lot of dragging feet across the pond, but in particular a new hire from the last few months has been key to making it happen.

The same dude whose job it will be to get those other titles out on other platforms, so let's show Japan that there is a real thirst in N/S America for these legacy titles with S2.

Any news on an European release? Would not be a problem if you want to play those games on PS3, but 'importing' on the PS Vita is a bit more of an hassle.

Freddo

Really great news to see a digital release of this game. Here's hoping for a digital release of Suikoden III next.

Coiote

It's a shame this release being just a PSN classic instead of the upgraded PSP version released in Japan. Well, better than nothing, I guess.

Already started playing this a few months ago and got side tracked. Though I admit I loved what I played so far. I figured it would be a bit of a let down but for coming to it as late as I did... the game honestly pulled me in, in the way a rpg has not in years. Cannot wait to buy a legit copy lol.

Is the first game good or should I just jump into the more famous sequel?

The first game is good. A little rough around the edges, but good. You get a lot more out of the second game (Literally; There's some neat save data bonuses) by playing the first one and then moving on to the second.

Aeana

The first game is excellent. If you have the time, play both. Suikoden 1 is fairly short (20 hours or less).
And frankly, Suikoden 1 has a fabulous soundtrack that should not be missed.

mauaus

I hope it sells well, maybe Konami would develop a new suikoden for ps platforms or at least port 3-5 to vita

Hugstable

Banned

It's really good as well! It's not too long, but make sure you go for all 108 Stars of Destiny to get a special bonus in 2! (You needed to have all of them right? Been so long since I played.) Gonna start my 3rd run ever sometime soon of Suikoden 1 so I can have a perfect save file going into 2.

I hope it sells well, maybe Konami would develop a new suikoden for ps platforms or at least port 3-5 to vita

Konami doesn't like us Suikoden fans :(. I wonder what was holding this game up for so long in the first place? I always heard of the bugs, but I highly doubt that was the whole reason we never got this game til now. Also Square if you are paying attention, when can I finally play Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on my ViTA

Murayama
should, but he's been loooooooooooooooooooooooooong gone by this point. He still has The Bible with him, as well. Would take a miracle to not end up like those...others.

Doesn't the U.S version have a lot of typos and glitches that were fixed for the European release?

E.g "war theme" not playing during army battle, Mcdohls name not transferring from 1 to 2?

aaronobst

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to determine whether or not there will be a EU release outside of that tweet?

If they don't release here it'll break my fucking heart.

tokkun

It is middle-of-the-road in quality, but to get the most out of Suikoden 2 you probably have to play the original, since there are some characters and questlines that carry over from the first game. And it's possible to beat the game in ~10 hours.

The first game is excellent. If you have the time, play both. Suikoden 1 is fairly short (20 hours or less).

if they did something about final boss theme err, they used the same normal boss theme for the final boss ;(

Cheska

This is what I've been the most excited about all day. I've yet to play this due to the high costs of the disc copies, so I'm eager to get my hands on this next week :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd be interested if they retranslated the games. But, I guess it's cool that people can finally have access to these games again.

autoduelist

I can safely say vita is my console of the forever. Assuming there is never a Vita 2/ PSP 3, I'll happily be playing it decades from now.

I'd be interested if they retranslated the games. But, I guess it's cool that people can finally have access to these games again.

I believe PS1 classics are by definition exactly the same, no changes can be made.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Straight ports for now, but we'll see where it goes after the first 3 mo. of sales come in.

I'll buy 100 copies for a potential Suikoden III-V HD Collection for PS3/PS4/Vita.

MilkBeard

I was lucky enough to score a copy in the used bin years back; Suikoden II is a great game. I'm glad that everyone will get a chance to play it now.

That reminds me. I need to try Suikoden I.

komorebi

Agreed, both games have excellent scores. Suikoden 2's is a whopping 4 CDs worth.

Artorias

Banned
I'm still confused about Suikoden 1 up there. Not only has it been on PSN for ages, wasn't it actually free once? It wasn't PS+, I think it was another anniversary thing and 2 or 3 PS1 games were free for the day/week.

B.K.

I'm still confused about Suikoden 1 up there. Not only has it been on PSN for ages, wasn't it actually free once? It wasn't PS+, I think it was another anniversary thing and 2 or 3 PS1 games were free for the day/week.

It's probably going to be downloadable directly to the Vita now. Before, you always had to transfer the game from a PS3 to play it on a Vita. You couldn't download it directly from the PSN to a Vita.

Artorias

Banned
It's probably going to be downloadable directly to the Vita now. Before, you always had to transfer the game from a PS3 to play it on a Vita. You couldn't download it directly from the PSN to a Vita.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I was hoping they were mistaken about PS3 compatibility and it was the PSP games. Still awesome.

My brother bought Suikoden 2 the day it came out, and traded it the next day. I can't remember why he didn't like it, but I think he traded it for Omega Boost.

ssvp616.gif

Is someone doing an OT? Can we do an OT?

Top Bottom