• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami bringing Suikoden 1 & 2 PSone to PSN and VITA. #isthisreallife #basedkonami

kiuo

i posted this on another thread, but if you guys like games like Suikoden and Suikoden 2 there's a game called Americana Dawn on kickstarter that draws a lot of inspiration from the two. It still got quite a bit to go until it can be fully funded but its kickstarter is packed with a lot of info including a few osts.

The maker describes the game as "Imagine a Suikoden game set in Colonial America inspired by elements of Chrono Trigger, Grandia, Fire Emblem and the writings of Mark Twain."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitbonton/americana-dawn-historical-rpg

Mephala

omg.gif

and

take-my-money.gif

clem84

Gold Member
I've heard a lot of good things about Suikoden 2. Since the second game appears to be better the first I was thinking about jumping straight into S2. Is this a good idea? Are the two closely related story-wise?

theosi

I've heard a lot of good things about Suikoden 2. Since the second game appears to be better the first I was thinking about jumping straight into S2. Is this a good idea? Are the two closely related story-wise?

second game takes place a few years after the 1st. a lot of references and characters from 1 show up in 2.

suiokoden 2 stands on its own very well. playing the first one adds so much to the world though and I recommend playing it. First game can be finished in 10-15 hours.

Yuterald

Cool for those who haven't had the opportunity to play the game at all yet, but as someone who's already played the game (and owns the original version), I'd much rather have an updated/re-translated version. Game's got fucking weird bugs and a shitty localization.

OmegaDL50

Cool for those who haven't had the opportunity to play the game at all yet, but as someone who's already played the game (and owns the original version), I'd much rather have an updated/re-translated version. Game's got fucking weird bugs and a shitty localization.

I would hardly call 4 NPC shop keepers with garbled text when you speak to them behind the counter the equivalent a shitty localization. A slight mistake that was glossed over, but definitely not indicative of the entire localization as whole being crap.

I don't think we are talking about Ted Woolsey level plot omissions going here.

sega4ever

I would hardly call 4 NPC shop keepers with garbled text when you speak to them behind the counter the equivalent a shitty localization. A slight mistake that was glossed over, but definitely not indicative of the entire localization as whole being crap.

I don't think we are talking about Ted Woolsey level plot omissions going here.

how about the missing bgm during the war battles?

Edgeward

Or the missing song when you meet Annallee. Now you can experience the beauty of an npc singing to complete silence one more time!

Bastos

I'll finally play this game then, GAF talks so much about it.

What is so good about Suikoden I and II? The story?

theosi

Was the Mathilda glitch actually a glitch or some kind of cheat?

well you glitch through a wall which lets you into a high level area where its possible to level your whole party to a level that you wouldn't have been for another 10ish hours.
pretty much lets you auto battle for a majority of the game (as if you couldn't already)

so you cheat by glitching I guess.

edit: and if you haven't played a suikoden game before, the way exp works, just doing one battle in that area gives you insane amounts of exp so its not even a grind. a few battle and your party jumps like 40 lvls if I recall

iidesuyo

I'll finally play this game then, GAF talks so much about it.

What is so good about Suikoden I and II? The story?

Atmosphere, music, story.

I just hope you're not overhyped. Don't expect anything, just get into the game. First impression may be off turning, especially the gameplay and graphics.

Bastos

Atmosphere, music, story.

I just hope you're not overhyped. Don't expect anything, just get into the game. First impression may be off turning, especially the gameplay and graphics.
Nah, relax, not overhyped, I always expect things to suck so I'm not disappointed LOL

krYlon

A lot of people saying they're glad to have a Vita so they can play this on the go?

But if it's a PS1 release on PSN, then it'll be available on the PSP too right?

Tabris

Big question - Do you think the save transfer functionality will work between PS Classic Suikoden 1 and 2? Will it read from the unique saves of PS Classics or will it read from internal memory card?

Big question - Do you think the save transfer functionality will work between PS Classic Suikoden 1 and 2? Will it read from the unique saves of PS Classics or will it read from internal memory card?

Iirc the ps1 emulator creates virtual memory cards that get read just like normal ones.

The metal gear stuff works on the ps3 with your sotn save, no reason this would be different.

But if it's a PS1 release on PSN, then it'll be available on the PSP too right?
It should work, but you might have to jump through some hoops to get it on there at this point.

Of course it will work, but I think you have to "point" to the right memory card on PSP/Vita since it creates a new virtual card for each game.

I don't think that will be a problem as I have a PS3, and can just transfer from there I think...
You will be good then.

It was really annoying when I only had a PSP and had to fight to get new PS1 games for it at the end of its life.

Zanac X Zanac was the one that I remember vividly.

Christian

First of all, I know Suikoden came out on PSone 18 years ago, and it's been on PSN for a while, but they're really so perfectly suited for portable play. Ignoring the fact that the save system isn't ideal for a portable, the entire concept is perfect. So I'm hyped I'll be able to play the original on the Vita in English. Yes, I had SI&II on PSP. Suikoden II on anything, well, that's just fucking incredible. I really hope these sell boatloads. I want III through V HD and VI, as improbable as that seems. I heart.

Wazzy

Banned
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I had forgotten to buy a copy off Amazon but now I don't have to spend a ridiculous amount to get it.

I'm finally going to be able to play Suikoden 2 :D

J_Ark

December 6th was my birthday. Konami made my day, seriously. Waiting for European release so bad, US patched version, I hope.

OmegaDL50

Oh man, Oh man!

First Suikoden 2 as a PSOne Classic on December 9th (one of my favorite RPGs of all time)

and then KOF '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition on December 12th which arguably the best incarnation of my favorite SNK fighting game of all time.

The stars must have aligned perfectly for something to get re-releases of two of my most favorite games of all time so close to my birthday (Dec 16th)

Now I will replay Suikoden I in preparation to transfer my save. Since I pretty much know where everything is in the first game, I should clear the game with all 108 recruits, just in time to move the data to Suikoden II.

This is going to be so awesome. I haven't played Suikoden II in years due to losing my copy in a basement flood that ruined most of my PSX collection.

I've been waiting to play Suikoden II for forever, it's probably the top game that I've never played that I've always wanted to. Can't believe it's finally coming to PSN.

SkyOdin

Well, it is perfectly viable to jump straight into 2. You will be able to understand what is going on in 2 pretty easily, since the main plot of 2 is completely independent on Suikoden 1.

However, a lot of characters in Suikoden 2 are originally from Suikoden 1. Suikoden 2 has the feature of letting you import data from Suikoden 1, which let's you carry over some information about your characters from the first game into the second, and potentially unlocking more stuff in 2. So I think you can only get the maximum Suikoden 2 experience if you played 1 first.

Thankfully, Suikoden 1 is a really short game. It shows it's age, but it moves pretty fast.

Top Bottom