• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

This just means Konami are no longer making games inhouse besides PES right?

Besides Kojima Production Konami have all the series I'm interested in have being contracted out for years anyway. As long as Konami doesn't give us Silent Hill HD but rather MGR, Hardcorps Uprising, Gradius V & the Rebirths I'm a happy chappy.

Guri

SonyToo!™;179247665 said:
This just means Konami are no longer making games inhouse besides PES right?

Besides Kojima Production Konami have all the series I'm interested in have being contracted out for years anyway. As long as Konami doesn't give us Silent Hill HD but rather MGR, Hardcorps Uprising, Gradius V & the Rebirths I'm a happy chappy.

Probably not even contracted, since they're not interested in spending the budget an AAA game demands.

DJChuy

No more Suikoden, Castlevania, Silent Hill or Metal Gear. Part of my childhood dead.

Actually, I don't mind no more MGS since the series should just end with V, but no more SH bums me out. I actually enjoyed the recent games; sure they're not as good as the first four, but they were still decent with some nice ideas.

Garlador

The saddest thing is Konami was SO essential to my childhood. Whether it be Metal Gear Solid or Symphony of the Night raising the bar, I got STARTED playing games with Contra, Castlevania, and Ninja Turtles on NES.

Our generation was raised on excellent Konami games.

A new generation is going to grow up asking "who's Konami? Oh, they're like Sierra, Atari, and Midway... got it."

Walshy

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD
Wow, this is a really depressing post.

It's really depressing that we will never get another Metal Gear, Silent Hill or Castlevania.

omonimo

Banned
I can understand from a business point of view, but what about their origins? Why to continue to produce with Konami name where there is nothing about Konami on it?

Capcom's message to Konami:
10guile.jpg

It should be pointed out besides the entire Konami library... they've been sitting on all of Hudson's IP. Such a travesty for all these classic series to be basically dead forever now.

jackal27

Banned
  • Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD

There are more... So many more... Vandal Hearts man. I could almost double this list and it kills. Konami was one of my favorite pubs right up until 2009 or 10. This industry is changing too much for guys like me who love colorful, crazy Japanese action games... (and Suikoden)

Is it possible that the company will continue to invest in "AA" console games, especially in light of that survey that made the rounds a few months back? If we take the $80M MGSV to mean AAA, perhaps Konami is only signaling that it will never again invest that much in the production of a single game.

I know, I know: wishful thinking. It's the Suikoden fan in me.

Markoman

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD

Half of that list is nostalgia-heavy, though. I mean, yeah everbody loved Contra back then.
Man, create a new military ip with guys fighting soldiers and aliens and call it Power Comando. Frogger? Seriously? Castlevania was cool in the 80s/90s - the transititon to 3D was messed up. So yeah, nothing to cry about. This corpse has been rotten for a while now.

Only thing that bothers me. MGSV could have worked like Destiny. The engine and overall concept allowed a steady stream of new content for years. I mean they did it basically with releasing GZ stand-alone, but those morons did it the wrong way and even Kojima did not realize what he had at hand.

Steroyd

I can understand from a business point of view, but what about their origins? Why to continue to produce with Konami name where there is nothing about Konami on it?

Their origins was a Jukebox repair and rental company lol.

But yeah, their games put them on the map and it's sad that they don't respect that as part of the company's history.

nOoblet16

Why not sell their IP like Silent Hill and MGS then if they ain't gonna do shit with it ?
Not like they will be making mobile games on it.

Garlador

Why not sell their IP like Silent Hill and MGS then if they ain't gonna do shit with it ?
Not like they will be making mobile games on it.

They're making pachinko machines out of them already.

You can bet they'll make a cheap, low-budget, horrible Silent Hill mobile game at some point.

ZhugeEX

Banned
yea that actually makes a lot of sense reading it now.

Yup. Konami are being stupid by cutting console development entirely.

But hey, here are PES sales. FYI Fifa is >15m each year. Do keep in mind that whilst PES sales are dropping you now have mobile version + monetisation built in to the games.

COPIDimWcAAPmp5.jpg:large

dc89

Sony should snap up Kojima Productions and the MGS IP.

Just let Kojima get on with it and produce a game every 5 years or so. They've bankrolled and stood by Team ICO all these years, please do the same with Kojima.

They should do what Disney have been doing, license out their properties to other companies.

That is the only long shot hope we have at another Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hill.

keuja

I hope they utterly fail in their new strategy. Then they might consider selling their IPs to competent developpers.

Top Bottom