• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Mexen

At first when Konami said, "hm, all these IPs? Kill em all, it's all Pachinko from now on. Fire Kojima," I thought it was a joke, until I realised Konami was being serious.

Cess007

Man, to think there was even a time when Konami published so many console games they have to create shell companies to get around the Nintendo publishing roles.

Castlevania, Metal Gear, Contra, Sunset Riders, ZoE, Suikoden, Silent Hill, Bomberman, Goemon. All those... IPs... will be lost, in time, like balls... in... a Pachinko Machine.

Vamphuntr

It was pretty obvious this would be the outcome. There might be more Metal Gear but they won't put a ridiculous amount of money into it like MGSV (Nikkei reported 80 millions, yikes!)

Markoman

tumblr_nquahcBBVN1s2wio8o1_500.gif
Good business move!

Yeah, you're right. Let's all switch to mobile gaming and experience the excitment of
good ole slot-machines :D

Teknoman

There's always retro games for me.

Oh well.

Good run, Konami. Thanks for the memories.

Man, so many franchises gone...and no hope unless the people usually involved do a kickstarter alike. Or... they don't have to be AAA funded games. Contra, Gradius, Suikoden, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Rocket Knight, Vandal Hearts, and Hudson properties could all work just fine with the right team and minus a AAA budget.

Sephzilla

I wish they'd at least sell off their IPs to some other companies since Konami seemingly has no interest in continuing AAA gaming anymore. But knowing Konami they'll probably take everything with them and sit on it.

fixedpoint

Well at least we can take solace that MGS 5 is one hell of a way to end a storied history in game development for Konami.
As much as I'd like more MGS, TPP really is a proper send-off.
Konami will never sell their IP's, they'll just license them out to anyone who ponies up the cash and make an easy percentage for doing nothing ie Nintendo using the Momotetsu license.

Kojima to form new studio to make new games.

Then licenses Metal Gear from Konami.
Maybe he just needs to change it up a bit, no license required

poodaddy

Why doesn't Konami like me? Don't they realize how much of my money they have? Maybe one day they'll change and come back to me....maybe then they'll appreciate me and stop abusing me. I remember how they told me that they cared but.....now I wonder if they ever really loved me at all.

Look just release all your good games on steam Konami, if you're gonna be dicks then at least make some easy money while you're doing it.

Ogodei

Somebody really needs to bid with them for console production/release rights for... everything. The extra tragedy is them sitting on the Hudson catalog, somebody else would at least drop Bomberman on the digital marketplaces.

Somebody really needs to bid with them for console production/release rights for... everything. The extra tragedy is them sitting on the Hudson catalog, somebody else would at least drop Bomberman on the digital marketplaces.

I'd like it if Nintendo and Sony bought their IPs.

weevles

I can see Konami putting their retro IPs to work on mobile, but they should license or sell the other ones like Metal Gear off to other companies so those titles can still get made. If Konami is that desperate/bottom line, then licensing their IPs would make perfect sense, wouldn't it?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Why is everyone saying that the IPs are dead? They're just going to be mobile games from now on.

...which is a fate worse than death.

Why is everyone saying that the IPs are dead? They're just going to be mobile games from now on.

...which is a fate worse than death.

Yup. All of the Konami IPs won't get the chance to die the hero, they'll live long enough to become the villain. Iterated upon in mobile games and pachinko machines until everyone forgets why they liked them in the first place.

Spazznid

Remember when Konami said that they'd continue the Metal Gear series?

?Solid and Liquid Pachinko. Bonus BROOOOOTHERRRRRRR!

This probably has been said already, but I hope they go bankrupt or something, and companies who actually give a fuck come and pick up the pieces to bring to life the series we all love and miss.

Remember when Konami said that they'd continue the Metal Gear series?

?Solid and Liquid Pachinko. Bonus BROOOOOTHERRRRRRR!

Konami's internal teams are ceasing AAA production, almost certain they'll farm out MGS to an external studio. Probably some Eastern European joint that would work for pennies.

No, no, no. Sorry, you failed. I absolutely adored Hans Gruber, because he was kinda brilliant in his evilness. No way that Konami can be put in the top-tier-villain-list. Remember when Saddam was found in that whole? That's how Konami will end up.

Oh, I'm not saying Konami is cool like Hans Gruber.

Hans Gruber is fucking amazing.

I have to admit, your Saddam comparison is apt.

Garlador

Good thing they finished The Phantom Pain before dropping out of game development.

Oh wait, they didn't.

... Can't take credit for that burn.

Tanoooki

I hope they sell the rights to their IPs to a company like Nintendo or Sony. If they sell them to another 3rd party developer like Capcom it would be unfortunate.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What the FUCK are you doing, Konami?

AAA console games aren't really some lucrative business venture with few exceptions. It makes sense from a business perspective. Mobile games are huge and don't cost nearly much as to develop. Same goes for Pachinko I suppose.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thank god we at least Got lords of shadow 2 out of them. Surely that's the best aaa Konami game since

EmSeta

I take it "ceasing AAA development" does NOT mean Konami is going back to making fun console games with sensible budgets. Because that would be great.

Garlador

AAA console games aren't really some lucrative business venture with few exceptions. It makes sense from a business perspective. Mobile games are huge and don't cost nearly much as to develop. Same goes for Pachinko I suppose.

Still, they could have cultivated console games to be successful AND had mobile and pachinko machines (like, you know, most other Japanese console developers).

The reason they stopped being successful on console wasn't because the market changed; they stopped making games the market had enjoyed and buried their IPs. They have nobody to blame for their failures on console but themselves.

It's frustrating to see other companies succeed on console AND on mobile AND with pachinkos and Konami just decided to slice off that entire division altogether because they couldn't figure it out (even with a mountain of people telling them what they wanted).

We all saw this coming, but at least they've finally confirmed it.

Joke about being heavily invested, but just like movies and tv shows many of us grew up with Konami hits and it's sad to see them go. It's business sure, but man, let people mourn anyway.

Good bye Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Contra, old school TMNT, and other forgotten legends. We won't forget you.

Damn.

RIP to a load of great IP. Here's hoping that they end up being sold off so that the talent Konami didn't keep on can keep doing great things with them.

Omega

Banned
so, will PES 2017 be the actual current gen version on PC or is it still going to be last gen

and mgs collection on pc pls. you know you can squeeze out a little bit of extra money from that franchise, do it.

bearbytes

What a bummer. Not all that surprising considering everything that's been going on over there, but it's still sad to hear. They put out some of my favorite games in the 8 and 16-bit eras.

Tiktaalik

It's been clear that they've been getting out for a long time, but it's so unsettling to see that it is actually happening.

Meh, it's their company so they can do what they want with it. If they believe their games are unprofitable there's no reason for me to be upset.

Top Bottom