• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Just here to post that PES is not on the level of AAA development since PS2 era.

The transition to HD/Online was not good to PES/Winning Eleven and EA was able to dominate and the further distance itself from Konami.

One could argue that there's no real competition between the two.

RIP Konami.

Morts

They have the Fox engine, they can farm out MGS and have a big open world game every fall. Take that, Assassin's Creed!

ZhugeEX

Banned
Fake Kaz strikes again

nXMmIC6.png

This guy gets me everytime!

Gastone

AAA console games aren't really some lucrative business venture with few exceptions. It makes sense from a business perspective. Mobile games are huge and don't cost nearly much as to develop. Same goes for Pachinko I suppose.

It´s lucrative if done right, and there are plenty of examples of that. It´s all good wanting to minimize development costs and time to maximize profits, but i think this is overdoing it.

Argh..i just hate mobile games, and i suppose i´m personally not okay with this move. At all.

I see nothing wrong with it. I am not particularly attached to any of konami games except metal gear solid. If this is what they feel they must do then it if fine.

Just here to post that PES is not on the level of AAA development since PS2 era.

The transition to HD/Online was not good to PES/Winning Eleven and EA was able to dominate and the further distance itself from Konami.

One could argue that there's no real competition between the two.

RIP Konami.
2012 was a while ago bruv

With luck they'll be willing to lease out their properties for other companies to use.

They can get paid without doing any work, seems like it would be a win-win for them. Maybe something similar to what Namco did where indie developers could use their licenses, like Pacman 256.

They won't sell them. Nobody outright sells IP unless they're going out of business.
Yup. IP is super valuable because you never know when the opportunity will strike to make buck on it. I mean, look at Activision with Spyro - who would ever have thought they would make Skylanders money from the Spyro IP? It's probably also why they'll never give Crash back.

Garlador

These fuckers were the ones who bought Hudson Soft just to shit on their IPs and then bury them, if you think they'd be willing to sell one of their own properties you're delusional.

Still can't believe they bought Hudson Soft and then shut them down less than half a year later.

I mean... WHY?!!

dacuk

I don't think they can even afford goemon

Being wrong is painless, it seems:

http://www.gengame.net/2014/06/nint...erm-investments-10-billion-in-current-assets/

"According to Nintendo’s consolidated balance sheet, the company currently has ¥474,297 million in “cash and deposits,” which comes out to $4,665,526,785.84 in US currency. Nintendo has ¥320,918 million locked up into short-term investment securities, which comes out to $3,156,157,928.04. All in all, Nintendo has ¥1,024,136 million, or just over $10 billion, in current assets. When you toss in non-current assets (property, machinery, etc), Nintendo has around $13 billion in total assets."

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Still, they could have cultivated console games to be successful AND had mobile and pachinko machines (like, you know, most other Japanese console developers).

The reason they stopped being successful on console wasn't because the market changed; they stopped making games the market had enjoyed and buried their IPs. They have nobody to blame for their failures on console but themselves.

It's frustrating to see other companies succeed on console AND on mobile AND with pachinkos and Konami just decided to slice off that entire division altogether because they couldn't figure it out (even with a mountain of people telling them what they wanted).

It's the way the market is shifting. Capcom and Sega barely hanging on to to the console business. What is Capcom doing besides SFV which is being at least partially funded by Sony?

This whole thing feels like that part in MGSV where
Huey gets off scott-free, drifting away out of sight on the lifeboat
. Konami...they'll get what's coming to them (a lot of pachinko money).

Top Bottom