• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Selling the IPs would be a good idea, but knowing Konami they'll want to use them for gambling mascots.

They should consider selling off some of the retro IP to small studios that will do them justice like WayForward and Yacht Club.

tumblr_mja691XeWt1r2pz7go1_r1_500.gif

Oh no, not us
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the men who sold the world

My dream (desperate hope) of a new Snatcher game is dead. Probably was before anyway. I'd like to think Kojima wants to return to it but I'm not sure if he does.

Vamphuntr

My dream (desperate hope) of a new Snatcher game is dead. Probably was before anyway. I'd like to think Kojima wants to return to it but I'm not sure if he does.

I doubt Snatcher was considered AAA. They will still probably make smaller games just not games with ridiculously high budgets.

Ce-Lin

I will always have a place in my heart for Konami since the MSX1/2 cartridges era, I really didn't expect them go down this way....

Chilikar

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like them ceasing production of titles doesn't necessarily mean they won't license it out for other developers. Sounds kind of like an easy way to earn money without having to put in as much money as development

mieumieu

Wow, I'll give them two more years - then it's all over. In 5 years only 30-40 old gamers will remain to tell the story of a once great publisher.

You did it to yourselves, motherfukkas!!!!! The pachinko bubble will burst when Japanese finally realize that throwing coins into a fountain is actually more fun than playing pachinko.
sadly pachinko is not a bubble, and mobile pay to win is not a bubble (there are already mobile games that employs the pachinko like feedback loop by giving out prizes). They exploit the weakness in the human mind, that's why they can continue doing it for a long time unless there are regulations.

Also konami will not sell their IPs until bankruptcy like THQ. Their mobile game business are also not as good as Sega or Squeenix. So they will simply disappear from the sight of gamers...

As to the fox engine... It can never be competitive in the engine business because it is a great endeavor to maintain it (solving compatibility issues with new sdk, fixing bugs, new features, etc) and to properly document it (we coders are usually lazy when it comes to docs) and to sell it.

Wow... I guess pes is there because of a contract they have before they change their business model. I guess you can expect each year just to be roster updates, nothing more...

lol so what was that survey about?

Anyway, can't say I can share all these strong feelings towards Konami. I guess it's mostly Kojima fans? Because the last great use of Castlevania- or Contra IP has been ages ago on DS. Silent Hill has been running in circles forever. Hudson buyout already made their direction clear 3 years ago. Maybe a future CEO will bring them back, or maybe not, let them be, this is nothing new. More than enough Japanese developers have been coming back to home consoles on the other hand.

They're making pachinko machines out of them already.

You can bet they'll make a cheap, low-budget, horrible Silent Hill mobile game at some point.
I would take a vita game or one that has decent touch controls on iPad. It doesn't have to be terrible. Get the old gang back together to make a decent portable entry. It's possible. Peace walker was decent and traditional silent hill has horrid controls. Touch screen might end up being better.

kess

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD

Can't help but feel that the rot was already starting to set in by the end of the PS2 generation. Watching Japanese game companies after 2004 is like watching all your best friends fall away from you by degrees.

So Silent Hill is officially, finally dead? This sucks :/ I hope Konami sells off some of their IP's to people who will actually make good use of them, but I know they won't.

RootCause

So many memories.
Well, it's time to remember the good times
250px-Bucky_OHare_North_American_NES_box_art.jpg

It bugs me so much that we won't get any dlc for MGSV. I was hoping for a ton of dlc, like unique characters, weapons, and vehicles. Maybe release a "legendary pack" dlc bringing some of the most memorable MGS boss fights to the new engine. Can you imagine battling the end, the fear, or vulcan in the new engine, with larger stages? Or what about doing some crazy VR missions, where you take on Genola? :0

gamerMan

This is a much bigger issue than Konami. I really think that the Japanese triple-A game looks like it's headed towards extinction. While console gaming is still big in the west, it is essentially dead in Japan. To survive, a lot of Japanese companies are pivoting into more profitable industries instead of closing their doors. There is too much risk and money involved.

MrHoot

I miss Tak Fuji, does anyone know what he's doing now?

Also that is one of the most diverse line up of games shown in a conference. Shame what Konami put out these days.

I follow his twitter. He seems to at least be having a fun time with his fellow devs and keeps proclaiming his love for video games, which is always heartwarming. He's a swell dude :) also glad he got better

---

On the note, yeah I really hope that in the future some other big parties, may it be ninty, sony, microsoft or others, start to buy off the scraps off Konami, any kind of video game license rights they can get. Otherwise we face the very serious problem of some of these licenses completely disappearing in nothingness except for a wikipedia page and ebay selling lists for old consoles (and will become eventually harder and harder to find, and run, as the years will go on)

Saving stuff like Silent Hill, Castlevania, Metal Gear, hell even Bloody Roar, Goemon, Rocket Knight or Bomberman are a pretty big priority.

This is a much bigger issue than Konami. I really think that the Japanese triple-A game looks like it's headed towards extinction. While console gaming is still big in the west, it is essentially dead in Japan. To survive, a lot of Japanese companies are pivoting into more profitable industries instead of closing their doors. There is too much risk and money involved.

Well, there's a whole lot more to it than that. Japanese gaming moved over to mobile to suit the needs of an on-the-go lifestyle, but there's still a subset of gamers willing to buy these titles. Koei Temco is indicative of that - while their games don't break the banks, they do alright.

The real issue is finding a balance between mobile and home gaming. It's possible. I think Capcom is a pretty great example and doing better now than they used to. You have mobile games bringing up a good portion of money, and console games taking care of that shit so you aren't leaving anything on the table. If you can find a balance, it works.

(Obviously some companies can get away with not fucking with mobile ala Koei Tecmo, but that's a discussion for another day)

Couple that with better budgets, and I think Japan is finding its place better now than when they did with the PS3/Xbox 360. TGS had a huge slew of games coming out slated for next year, some of them incredibly niche. It's not as much as the PS2 days, but I do think it's getting much better.

Aselith

Could someone Kickstart a large enough sum to money to make a serious bid to purchase an IP?

I'm not sure they'd bed willing to sell. Companies hold on to IP's just in case all the time. Often the only way to get an IP is to purchase them wholesale or during bankruptcy proceedings.

Maybe you could kick start a licensing fee.

Kriken

I'm not mad at Konami, they're making a business decision that they feel is in their best interests. What I am mad about is that there will be so many franchises lost to mobile games and pachinko machines. There's no reason to sell their IPs, but it feels like they're content with letting them rot, I'll just post a fav of mine and be done with it

CAkj3a-XEAALxrM.png

Top Bottom