• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Garlador

It's the way the market is shifting. Capcom and Sega barely hanging on to to the console business. What is Capcom doing besides SFV which is being at least partially funded by Sony?

Dragon's Dogma Online? Mega Man Legacy Collection. Resident Evil: Revelations 2. Resident Evil 2 Remake. Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps. Resident Evil Origins Collection (lots of Resident Evil here). Deep Down (maybe). Ace Attorney 6. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.

The market isn't "shifting". If anything, Capcom is succeeding by going back to the OLD market that made them successful in the first place. Revisiting their past to even greater success is making them a lot of money, largely because they're also realizing that the market didn't change; they changed and expected the market to change with them.

It didn't, they struggled, and now they're going back to the basics.

I think that will work out well for them.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This hurts, the first videogame I owned was TMNT 1989 bundled with the NES. They've been one of my favorite dev/pubs since then. To see how it ends just sucks.

Henkka

Banned
Any chance they'll start licencing out the Fox Engine like Epic did with Unreal? Such a waste if not, MGSV looks so damn good

Garlador

This hurts, the first videogame I owned was TMNT 1989 bundled with the NES. They've been one of my favorite dev/pubs since then. To see how it ends just sucks.

The memories go so, SO deep. Their 80s and 90s arcade games were legendary too.
konami-x-men.jpg

Blownami.

It has been apparent that this was the direction they were going for some time now. No surprise here.

They are nothing (in the west) without AAA dev. I'm not sure erotic pachinko will catch on here.

I await the announcement that the company is going insolvent.

Armaros

Lots of fanciful ideas about other companies buying up the IPs somehow that wouldn't require them to make half a dozen profitable games before even breaking even.

That would be if Konami were so desperate to sell them, which they aren't

Garlador

Lots of fanciful ideas about other companies buying up the IPs somehow that wouldn't require them to make half a dozen profitable games before even breaking even.
That would be if Konami were so desperate to sell them, which they aren't

No... but we want them to get to that point. They certainly aren't going to be doing anything worthwhile with Bloody Roar or Bomberman for the next, oh, nine decades or so.

I feel absolutely nothing. Nothing at all. They have been dead to me since halfway through last generation. MGS was all they had to offer (and the flicker of life that was Castlevania)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Dragon's Dogma Online? Mega Man Legacy Collection. Resident Evil: Revelations 2. Resident Evil 2 Remake. Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps. Resident Evil Origins Collection (lots of Resident Evil here). Deep Down (maybe). Ace Attorney 6. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.

The market isn't "shifting". If anything, Capcom is succeeding by going back to the OLD market that made them successful in the first place. Revisiting their past to even greater success is making them a lot of money, largely because they're also realizing that the market didn't change; they changed and expected the market to change with them.

It didn't, they struggled, and now they're going back to the basics.

I think that will work out well for them.

Deep Down is vaporware. Mega Man Legacy Collection is a bunch of polished up ROMs. Resident Evil Origins Collection is another rerelease. DMC4 Special Edition is a polished up port with some extra content. Re Revelations 2 is a low budget game (albeit pretty neat). Ace Attorney is a hand held game.

Jury is out on Umbrella Corps but I guess we'll see. Doesn't seem like a modern AAA production to me.

Capcom took a bath on Lost Planet 3 and other stuff last gen. They're not really making AAA games anymore. Same with Sega. Square is really the only one still going hard on consoles. Namco is kind of a wild card.

Japanese publishers are moving away from AAA console development, it's pretty obvious if you've been reading the tea leaves the last 5 years or so.

If they're still willing to licence out their IPs to interested and quality developers and, perhaps, repackage classics with a reasonable price point, I'm fine with them being mostly dead in terms of new titles. They've been mostly dead to me since the end of the PS1 generation, anyway.

Nebulaurora

Neo Member
One of the reasons Japanese game industry is lagging behind in the past decade is that Japanese companies simply don't as much energy as western companies. They have the same culture relaid from their society: stiffening hierarchy, "shut up, mind your own business and let 60-year-olds run the company" philosophy, etc, and this conservative trend has become worse and worse as the most robust generation after WWII are becoming old and new generations are much less energetic to counter the traditional conservatism in the society and companies like previous generation did. They communicate much less than their western counterparts, they're much more likely to remain silent and do their own things than their western counterparts, and they're less aggressive to push the envelope than the previous generation and their western counterparts .
This conservative gene is one of the fundamental problem not only for technology industries but also for the whole economy. They're still disciplined enough to keep refining high-end manufacturing techniques and making progressive improvements here and there, but they simply lack enough energy to compete with the west in the industries where individual creativity and disruptive innovations play major roles.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
One of the reasons Japanese game industry is lagging behind in the past decade is that Japanese companies simply don't as much energy as western companies. They have the same culture relaid from their society: stiffening hierarchy, "shut up, mind your own business and let 60-year-olds run the company" philosophy, etc, and this conservative trend has become worse and worse as the most robust generation after WWII are becoming old and new generations are much less energetic to counter the traditional conservatism in the society and companies like previous generation did. They communicate much less than their western counterparts, they're much more likely to remain silent and do their own things than their western counterparts, and they're less aggressive to push the envelope than the previous generation and their western counterparts .
This conservative gene is one of the fundamental problem not only for technology industries but also for the whole economy. They're still disciplined enough to keep refining high-end manufacturing techniques and making progressive improvements here and there, but they simply lack enough energy to compete with the west in the industries where individual creativity and disruptive innovations play major roles.
Sounds about right.

Armaros

No... but we want them to get to that point. They certainly aren't going to be doing anything worthwhile with Bloody Roar or Bomberman for the next, oh, nine decades or so.

Then you are looking at this for a gaming centric focus considering that Konami makes a major portion of their money from non-video game enterprises now.

Garlador

Don't play coy. You know the reason people want Konami to sell their IPs off. Their history is filled with sitting on IPs and properties and doing nothing with them. I'm sure a few Hudson Soft fans can enlighten you further about how bad Konami treats dead and forgotten IPs. Hell, I'm sure their own EMPLOYEES can tell you.

Then you are looking at this for a gaming centric focus considering that Konami makes a major portion of their money from non-video game enterprises now.
Of course. Hence my desire to see those other enterprises have their bubble burst on them. I do NOT want to see Silent Hill "successfully" prolonged through pachinko machines or Meta Gear Solid's story continue on through Las Vegas slots.

Deep Down is vaporware. Mega Man Legacy Collection is a bunch of polished up ROMs. Resident Evil Origins Collection is another rerelease. DMC4 Special Edition is a polished up port with some extra content. Re Revelations 2 is a low budget game (albeit pretty neat). Ace Attorney is a hand held game.
Deep Down is less vaporware than The Last Guardian was last year. Mega Man Legacy Collection is a bunch of ROMs of SOME OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER. Resident Evil Origins Collection is a re-release of HD upgrades that proved to be Capcom's most profitable digital release of all time. DMC4 Special Edition is a great port with great new content that makes the whole game feel new. RE: Rev 2 is a low-budget game that's one of the best RE games in years (because high-budget doesn't always mean high-quality, e.g. RE6). Ace Attorney is a handheld game... and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

Jury is out on Umbrella Corps but I guess we'll see. Doesn't seem like a modern AAA production to me.
Doesn't have to be AAA to be good. It can be mid-tier and also be great. Capcom classics often were mid-sized projects.

Capcom took a bath on Lost Planet 3 and other stuff last gen. They're not really making AAA games anymore. Same with Sega. Square is really the only one still going hard on consoles. Namco is kind of a wild card.
That's Capcom's fault for thinking the world was demanding a new Lost Planet 3 over, say, Mega Man Legends 3, a new Darksiders, a new Onimusha, or a new Dino Crisis. Everyone was confused by Lost Planet 3. It made as much sense as Dark Void 2.

Japanese publishers are moving away from AAA console development, it's pretty obvious if you've been reading the tea leaves the last 5 years or so.
Square Enix has more PS4 games on their horizon than they did for almost the entire PS3 library combined. From Software is killing it year after year. Even Capcom is seeing higher returns than last console generation on their new games and their re-releases by actually releasing content players wanted to begin with and, because of that, is making profit again (totally forgot about that beast, Monster Hunter, as well). SEGA just announced TWO new Yakuza games, more Sonic (of course), Phantasy Star Online 2 PS4 version, and even Alien: Isolation is still fresh in people's minds.

All of these don't even factor in 3DS, PC, or Vita titles.

Their output is arguably stronger than it was even five years ago. I think reports of Japanese gaming's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Ideal? No, but there are definite signs of life, and strength, still on display.

woopWOOP

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD
This hurts.

Best I can hope for is them continueing to port the old games to new systems, VC style.
Would love to own some of their Arcade titles some day. (Also the Goemon N64 games, why didn't this happen yet?!)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder what they're going to do with Fox Engine. It would be unfortunate if MGS V is the only game that will use that tech.

Alebrije

The awkward moment when you realize talking about Konami games is like talk about games from companies like Jaleco , Acclaim, Data East....

Don't play coy. You know the reason people want Konami to sell their IPs off. Their history is filled with sitting on IPs and properties and doing nothing with them. I'm sure a few Hudson Soft fans can enlighten you further about how bad Konami treats dead and forgotten IPs. Hell, I'm sure their own EMPLOYEES can tell you.
And how do we know that the people buying these ips would do anything good with them or anything at all. Also this change from AAA could allow them to use properties.

Silent Hill didnt deserve this...
One of my favorite franchises...

It didn't even get to go out on a high note, yet I strangely feel nothing. I haven't cared about a Konami game in years (not a fan of MGS but at least V seemed to turn out well) and the writing has been on the wall for years that they didn't even care anymore. I've been angry and sad but I just don't care anymore because there hasn't been a reason to.

Fractal

Banned
And all this mess has a name...i mean who are the exact Konami bosses behind all of this?
It may be a mess from your perspective, but there's a good chance it's no mess from the business perspective... we'll find out, at this point there's insufficient data to reach any real conclusion, as Konami is still in the transition phase toward their new business model.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
You forgot there's a fate worse than mobile: Pachinko.

True. But that's not really a western thing. Out of sight, out of mind. We'll hear all about their new f2p MGS and Castlevania mobile games though.

These IPs need to be bought/sold. Get them away from Konami and into hands that actually give a shit. If possible, buy the rights to Fox Engine as well.

Top Bottom