• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Chess Battle (tentative title) for PSP

Agent X

Seeing as there are no chess games on PSP, Konami's gone ahead and done the logical thing and decided to fill that void with Konami Chess Battle. :)

konami-chess-battle-20060125091145894.jpg

konami-chess-battle-20060125091145378.jpg

konami-chess-battle-20060125091147331.jpg

konami-chess-battle-20060125091148503.jpg

According to IGN's preview, the game supports both Wi-Fi Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure modes. You'll also be able to play a series of games online, have them ranked and keep your progress.

I can't say this is exactly the most original chess game I've seen, as games like Battle Chess have done the "living chess piece" theme before. On that note, I hope Konami will come up with another name for the final product as well.

Gattsu25

Banned
This better be the spiritual second Battle Chess game

that game kicked ass...anyone have an animation of a checkmate with a knight?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gamespot says fall release...and:

Gamespot said:
Konami's Chess Battle is being developed by Leviathan, a company started in 1998 that specialized in the development of corporately sponsored titles, or "advergames."
Not very encouraging.

Needs an Archon mode too.

I'm more interested in the Steel Horizons naval strategy game they also announced today.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'd rather have this battle chess

Battle%20Chess.png

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Chess Battle = Battle Chess....

could be interesting, i guess?

(Konami gave us Mahjong fightclub which is still one of the best PSP games to date, so hopes are high)

Zaphod

5 different sets of pieces rocks. I'll believe infrastructure when I see it, it's like a carrot on a stick to us PSP owners. Not that I'm bitter about Hot Shots Golf or anything...

Benadryl Hitman said:
Knight vs. Knight was the best because they did a spoof of the black knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I think that's the one I was thinking about! :lol I never made that correlation.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I would buy this if the pieces were Konami characters.

yup - that would be most excellent indeed.

Sports set : Power pro as king etc etc...
the Gradius piece set : options as pawns, Vic Viper as king
Parodius set
MGS set
Castlevania set
Goemon

that would rock and would give the game that cheesy Wai Wai World feel.

Mashing

Wakune said:
This better be the spiritual second Battle Chess game

that game kicked ass...anyone have an animation of a checkmate with a knight?

Indeed... Battle Chess fucking rocked

Belfast

I'd only want this if they featured Konami characters as chess pieces.

edit: dammit, fie on me for not reading the whole thread, but my sentiment still stands.

Jonnyram

Man, I'm so surprised to see so many people who remember Battle Chess :)
I always used to play at school at lunch times.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I loved battle chess. First game I ever played "online". I personally liked the Rook takes Queen animation. Munch munch munch!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Fellow Battle Chess fans, awesome. The first time I saw the pawn smack the Knight in the toe with the spear I knew I had fallen in love. 386 4mb ram FTW!

Gattsu25

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
Knight vs. Knight was the best because they did a spoof of the black knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Knight vs. King involved full frontal kingly nudity

it was awesome

I know there has to be a GIF repository of all the deaths somewhere

Izzy

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Fellow Battle Chess fans, awesome. The first time I saw the pawn smack the Knight in the toe with the spear I knew I had fallen in love. 386 4mb ram FTW!

Or 1MB Amiga.

Izzy

Banned
According to IGN's preview, the game supports both Wi-Fi Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure modes.

Splendid - I look forward to playing it with some of you!
Preferably Nintendo fans!

I loved Battle Chess too. The Pawns were hilarious as they always seemed to luck out on by the skin of their teeth when they took another piece. :)

Oh, and while this looks ok, I'd rather see a new version of Archon. With online play.

Top Bottom