• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami makes new Suikoden trademark

B.K.

Xelinis said:
TGS is just around the corner and Konami usually reveals new Suikoden games in the weeks leading up to it. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that Konami hasn't forgotten the hardcore Suikoden audience.

They haven't forgotten. They just don't care.

I think the next Suikoden release it going to be pivotal for the series. Tierkreis was really a gamble that did not pay off, it didn't bring many new fans in and it mostly just pissed off the core base.

I still don't really see how creating a unrelated game with few of the features that make Suikoden unique was supposed to draw new fans into the series as a whole. (Which they said in pre-release interviews is what they wanted to do.)

Anyway, with the possibility of Murayama coming back and the fact that we still don't know what (if anything) the V team is working on, I'm actually feeling a bit hopeful. I don't think Murayama would return just to work on more unrelated spin-offs. A new main entry on a next gen console could breath new life into the series. Fingers crossed we hear something soon.

Abel

Himuro said:
I'm getting goosebumps guys.

Not only do we finally have Murayama's departure revealed, but he says he wants to come back!

!!!!!!!!

I'm right there with you Himu :D ! Let's hope for some awesome post-Suikoden 3 Murayama goodness :D !

and Fumi Ishikawa plz!

agree on Fumi Ishikawa. when was the last time she was openly involved in a game?

i'm pretty sure she did the cover-artwork for the suikoden tierkreis extra soundtrack.

A really awesome poster on the Suikosource forums has translated a bunch more stuff from the interview with Murayama. It's mostly about the development of the first Suikoden game.

Any fan of the series should find it most interesting. (Konami wanted to make their own console? @_@)

daoster

If there is a Suikoden VI, I hope it's more in the vein of Suikoden III where it builds on the gameplay AND story, rather than trying to be like Suikoden I-lite (ala Suikoden IV and that failed...) or Suikoden II-lite (ala Suikoden V, and that was boring).

Not necessary the trinity system again, but something new! And I'm probably the only one in this, but characters that look more like III's characters rather than V's characters...

Xelinis said:
Huh, there appears to be an article in the latest LEVEL regarding Suikoden that a poster on Suikox claims is an interview with Murayama.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372377

Swedish GAF, GO!

UPDATE! That same poster has provided a partial translation of the article on the Suikosource forums. This post summarizes why Murayama left Konami and debunks virtually every myth surrounding it.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11562

I know that guy, we post on the same Swedish forum. Namely the forum of the LEVEL magazine. Since he has the same name there I hope he wont get into trouble. I have asked the editor of LEVEL if I could translate it and post it here on NeoGAF and Suikox but I havent gotten an answer yet but stay tuned. It is a very interesting interview.

Oh and by the way. The magazine and even more so the staff on that magazine when they were working on another magazine are known for give Jack and shit about the Suikoden games, and Jack left town. Think they gave Suikoden 2 a 7 or even a 6. Even when talking about game music they never mention Suikoden or Higashino.
Only time I can remember is when they had an interview with Nobuo Uematsu and HE said Miki Higashino is his favorite composer.

I have always complained about this and corrected them when ever they DO mention Suikoden cause they often get their facts wrong and when last issue came out the one who wrote the interview told me (translated quote) "You are gonna enjoy the next issue......"

AND man did I ever!

Still I really respect the guys and will not translate the interview without their permission. I may be legal to do so without asking but I doubt it and I really don´t know.

Xelinis

Tenkai Star said:
Only time I can remember is when they had an interview with Nobuo Uematsu and HE said Miki Higashino is his favorite composer.

WHY AM I ONLY LEARNING THIS NOW!?!?

Oh and in the interview Murayama talks about how he got fanmail when they released the first Suikoden and he printed out stationary and responded to every single one.

All I could think about when I read that was "Can I buy one of those answers on Ebay?"

Gunloc said:
I think the next Suikoden release it going to be pivotal for the series. Tierkreis was really a gamble that did not pay off, it didn't bring many new fans in and it mostly just pissed off the core base.
QFT

makes me happy to finally read another interview with murayama after all these years. he gets the utmost respect from me.

also nice to see uematsu praising higashino. i know he's a good person, but this makes him even better!

Himuro said:
TGS

TGS

TGS

Come on!
Yes please. I remember years back reading an interview that said Suikoden 6 was being developed by the same guy that did Suikoden 5. Then not a word for like 4 years now. Think that interview is considered a mistranslation or misunderstanding nowdays.

Tenkai Star said:
Yes please. I remember years back reading an interview that said Suikoden 6 was being developed by the same guy that did Suikoden 5. Then not a word for like 4 years now. Think that interview is considered a mistranslation or misunderstanding nowdays.
Have everyone forgotten that Konami said that if they are making the next Suikoden it would be more Tierkreis-like?

EXGN

Could someone give me the run down of what this controversy dealing with Murayama and Suiko 3 is all about?

Xelinis

shykyoichi said:
Have everyone forgotten that Konami said that if they are making the next Suikoden it would be more Tierkreis-like?

They said that they would consider it depending on Tierkreis' success. In the end, the gamble didn't pay off.

Xelinis

Segata Sanshiro said:
Erm, what's all this "the gamble didn't pay off" stuff with Tierkries? It sold pretty much in line with most of the series.

They were aiming to achieve much higher sales. The whole point of the reboot was to attract new fans to the series as well as retain the old. Since it sold pretty much in line with the rest of the series and considering the amount of spite from the old fans, that goal was not accomplished.

Xelinis said:
They were aiming to achieve much higher sales. The whole point of the reboot was to attract new fans to the series as well as retain the old. Since it sold pretty much in line with the rest of the series and considering the amount of spite from the old fans, that goal was not accomplished.
Well, I don't work at Konami so I can't pretend to know their goals, but judging from the way they treat their other franchises, I'm sure they don't even give a mild fuck if the old fans are pissed as long as the sales are the same.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I don't work at Konami so I can't pretend to know their goals, but judging from the way they treat their other franchises, I'm sure they don't even give a mild fuck if the old fans are pissed as long as the sales are the same.
They aren't.

Suikoden I (all editions) - 206,775
Suikoden II (all editions) - 416,790
Suikoden III (all editions) - 397,422
Suikoden IV - 311,815
Suikoden V - 194,780
Tierkreis - 155,777

That's for Japan. Dunno about the LTD sales for NA. Though if we consider S3's NA sales:

Suikoden III - 190,000
-
With regard to intentions, again to quote Masayuki's interviews:
However, it's also true that previous Suikoden releases have been relatively niche titles. We want as many people as possible to enjoy Suikoden: Tierkreis, which is why we chose to create a new game universe, as it won't be burdened by backstory that new players wouldn't have an understanding of.
...we'll continue to develop games that will expand the core appeal of the franchise to a wider audience...
With this in mind, I think our goal will be to create new games that attract as many new players to the established franchise in order to grow the fan base.
I've mentioned this before int the Official Threads for Tierkreis (both JP and NA): For a niche series, ignoring its core fans is simply suicide.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Comparing Maingame sales to a spin-off isnt really fair though.

IrishNinja

Gunloc said:
Any fan of the series should find it most interesting. (Konami wanted to make their own console? @_@)

whoah, really? i gotta read this now. i so would/wouldve bought such a console on pure knoami-love if it was priced right.

daoster said:
If there is a Suikoden VI, I hope it's more in the vein of Suikoden III where it builds on the gameplay AND story, rather than trying to be like Suikoden I-lite (ala Suikoden IV and that failed...) or Suikoden II-lite (ala Suikoden V, and that was boring).

Not necessary the trinity system again, but something new! And I'm probably the only one in this, but characters that look more like III's characters rather than V's characters...

praising III and crapping on V makes my soul hurt. III wasnt awful, it had an interesting concept i thought felt duct-taped together at parts. the plot almost worked better for me in bits of the manga, oddly.

shykyoichi said:
I've mentioned this before int the Official Threads for Tierkreis (both JP and NA): For a niche series, ignoring its core fans is simply suicide.

+1.

shykyoichi said:
They aren't.

Suikoden I (all editions) - 206,775
Suikoden II (all editions) - 416,790
Suikoden III (all editions) - 397,422
Suikoden IV - 311,815
Suikoden V - 194,780
Tierkreis - 155,777

That's for Japan. Dunno about the LTD sales for NA. Though if we consider S3's NA sales:

Suikoden III - 190,000
-
With regard to intentions, again to quote Masayuki's interviews:

I'm not here to wage war, so I'm not going to carry on, but I do want to say that if you look at those numbers (and if you had any US numbers besides one of the two best-selling installments), you really should be able to spot things that better explain the marginally lower sales of Tierkries than a continuity reboot.

As for your conclusion, Castlevania seems to still be doing alright.

KAL2006

Banned
There is only 6 game series that I must have

Final Fantasy
Street Fighter
Diablo
Mario Platformer
Metal Gear Solid
Suikoden

Suikoden is the only game that hasnt got a game in a while (DS one doesnt count) and the future doesnt look bright either.

KAL2006 said:
There is only 6 game series that I must have

Final Fantasy
Street Fighter
Diablo
Mario Platformer
Metal Gear Solid
Suikoden

Suikoden is the only game that hasnt got a game in a while (DS one doesnt count) and the future doesn't look bright either.

have you played tierkreis?

KAL2006

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
have you played tierkreis?

no but i heard it isnt as good. I play Suikoden games for story, lore, characters, true runes, music, atmosphere, 108 stars in castle, and etc.

KAL2006 said:
no but i heard it isnt as good. I play Suikoden games for story, lore, characters, true runes, music, atmosphere, 108 stars in castle, and etc.

I asked because as evident by your response you heard its bad. The game has merit if you ask me and its not like Suikoden games get cranked out year after year. Our speculation on trademarks and what not doesn't make the wait better. If you find it cheap I'd give it a go, just saying.

cw_sasuke said:
Comparing Maingame sales to a spin-off isnt really fair though.
Tierkreis is touted as the direction/revival of Suikoden. And never once (except by fans) was it called a spin-off. Want me to compare its numbers with Rhapsodia, the Suikogaidens and the Card Battle? A SRPG spin-off, two novel games and a card simulation?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not here to wage war, so I'm not going to carry on, but I do want to say that if you look at those numbers (and if you had any US numbers besides one of the two best-selling installments), you really should be able to spot things that better explain the marginally lower sales of Tierkries than a continuity reboot.

As for your conclusion, Castlevania seems to still be doing alright.
Well, S4 did have a tremedous effect on the sales of all succeeding games. Konami usually don't release numbers for NA and I only have S3's.

Isn't Castlevania a platformer/RPG hybrid? I don't see its similarity to Suikogames except being niche titles.

there was a drama cd release for suikoden II in april.

9tivdh.jpg

sometimes they do care about their core fanbase.

I have now gotten the permission to translate and post the interview. I will post it in a new thread when I am done. So far I have translated the first part, its about two pages in a regular textdocument.
Stay tuned.

The beginning of the interview

Never the best looking, never the biggest. But when other Playstation games experimented with polygons and prerendered backgrounds Suikoden chose to explore characters and worlds. LEVEL has spoken with the series creator Yoshitaka Murayama about the game that taught a hero to lead an army, and a producer to lead a team of developers.

B.K.

Konami trademarked GensoSuikoden in America and now Murayama is writing a new game. Maybe he isn't writing Suikoden VI. Maybe he's doing a series reboot.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gunloc said:

Sold pretty well in Japan though.
Much better than most new IP RPGs have on the DS.

edit: beaten.

Well for what it's worth, i think its somewhere like just under 50kish in the US

RSLAEV

Augemitbutter said:
t

sometimes they do care about their japanese core fanbase.

fixed-if they gave a damn about the rest of us I'd be playing Suikoden 1 and 2 on my PSP in english now.

B.K.

RSLAEV said:
fixed-if they gave a damn about the rest of us I'd be playing Suikoden 1 and 2 on my PSP in english now.

They couldn't release Suikoden I&II in America. Sony wouldn't approve it.

Aru

B.K. said:
They couldn't release Suikoden I&II in America. Sony wouldn't approve it.

They could have released the game in Europe, it would have been approved (see Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Eternia).

John Harker said:
Sold pretty well in Japan though.
Much better than most new IP RPGs have on the DS.

edit: beaten.

Well for what it's worth, i think its somewhere like just under 50kish in the US
But didn't attract enough new gamers to replace the lost core fans. It did beat other RPGs on the DS as it is the BETTER DS game. No one is arguing about that. It's a great DS game. But it's not a good Suikoden game.

shykyoichi said:
But didn't attract enough new gamers to replace the lost core fans. It did beat other RPGs on the DS as it is the BETTER DS game. No one is arguing about that. It's a great DS game. But it's not a good Suikoden game.

It'd be interesting to see how many people bout Tierkreis that had no previous experience with Suikoden. Looking available numbers, the sales for V were around the same as it.

And that's my hypocritical post for today. I hate seeing this thread on the first page because my hopes rise to unhealthy levels.

Freyjadour said:
It'd be interesting to see how many people bout Tierkreis that had no previous experience with Suikoden. Looking available numbers, the sales for V were around the same as it.

And that's my hypocritical post for today. I hate seeing this thread on the first page because my hopes rise to unhealthy levels.
I don't like providing anecdotal eveidences as proof but most of my friends who didn't played any previous Suikoden games, have and like Tierkreis. Then again, anecdotal evidences are moot.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nothing wrong with Tierkreis. Some of these anal Suikoden fans need to swallow the bitter pill they are toying with in their mouths and accept the game for what it is.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
shykyoichi said:
It's not the worse DS RPG but it's not better than all the RPGs it outsold. The Suikoden brand may be on the decline but there are still people that recognize it, who bought this game because of it, and wouldn't have even bothered with the game otherwise.

speedpop said:
Nothing wrong with Tierkreis. Some of these anal Suikoden fans need to swallow the bitter pill they are toying with in their mouths and accept the game for what it is.
That's like saying FF fans need to love FFX-2 with all their might.

Top Bottom