• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami makes new Suikoden trademark

speedpop said:
Nothing wrong with Tierkreis. Some of these anal Suikoden fans need to swallow the bitter pill they are toying with in their mouths and accept the game for what it is.

And that is?

speedpop said:
Nothing wrong with Tierkreis. Some of these anal Suikoden fans need to swallow the bitter pill they are toying with in their mouths and accept the game for what it is.
I think Tierkreis is a good game, just not a good Suikoden game. Konami could have easily made it a new IP, instead they tried to rely on the name to draw in old fans and I think that bothered a lot of people.

If it's a one time off-shoot then that's tolerable. If it's meant to be the new direction the series is taking, then I think it's understandable why people would be bitter.

Building such a vast and deep universe over the course of eight games then discarding more "mainstream" appeal seems like an exercise in futility to me.

B.K. said:
Konami trademarked GensoSuikoden in America and now Murayama is writing a new game. Maybe he isn't writing Suikoden VI. Maybe he's doing a series reboot.
I was just thinking about that yesterday. A HD 2D remake of the first Suikoden could be amazing. Add in the features that were refined over the course of the series and the story content that was cut (as long as it doesn't contradict future information) and I think that would be great.

Gunloc said:
I was just thinking about that yesterday. A HD 2D remake of the first Suikoden could be amazing. Add in the features that were refined over the course of the series and the story content that was cut (as long as it doesn't contradict future information) and I think that would be great.

i'd buy five copies.

ethelred

vanguardian1 said:
Beats FFXII.
But then again, what doesn't?

Very few games do. You consistently emblemize some of the worst taste on this forum.

KAL2006 said:
I'd like a sequel to S3

or a game that takes place between S2 and S3

Years ago, I actually wanted Konami to do a Suikoden game for the DS that retained much of the series' core gameplay (as Tierkreis did) but also maintained its spinoff status by not advancing any of the core plotlines in the game, instead telling a side story (like the Suikogaidens). Specifically, I thought it'd be great to have it focus on the High East Rebellion described in Suikoden III, as it'd be a neat way to revisit some old locations and some old favorite characters while still allowing the next numeric installments to keep pushing forward with the overall arc. A plus, in my mind, would've been the game featuring really high quality 2D backdrops and sprites.

'Course, that was years ago, and what eventually materialized in Tierkreis had some of the things I wanted (keeping the same style of gameplay, the amazing 2D backgrounds), but didn't include others (polygons vs. sprites, which wasn't a very significant issue for me... and, of course, the separate universe thing). I think Tierkreis would've been a better game if it had done all that I originally envisaged, and I think it would've been a better Suikoden game as well.

I'll admit I had a hard time with Tierkreis when I first tried it out, because it was glaring how un-Suikoden it felt to me. So I set the game aside for an extended period of time before I finally decided to revisit it and give it a real chance. It never really shook that feeling of not being Suikoden, but in the end, I think it was a good RPG -- it's got its share of flaws, to be sure, but it was a good game. I still think more people should give it a fair chance. It is what it is. I'm probably the biggest Suikoden fan here; if I could get over my initial disappointment at it not actually being a true Suikoden game, others should be able to manage as well.

shykyoichi said:
I like a game that takes place in between S4 and S3.

So you'd like a game that takes place between the earliest point in the in-game series chronology and the latest point in the in-game series chronology. Er... okay?

I don't really crave anything set as far back as Suikoden IV, personally, because that was the least historically relevant game in the series. It added virtually nothing to our understanding of the world, the cultures, or the on-going narrative that had been getting developed over the course of the first three games. It described centuries old history, but the history it described clearly left no practical impact on the larger world that we had become familiar with beginning in Suikoden I. It was all entirely pointless. Suikoden V was better in every regard, but it still wasn't as fully integrated into the series' historical mythos as the first three, which was one of my more notable disappointments with it.

B.K. said:
Konami trademarked GensoSuikoden in America and now Murayama is writing a new game. Maybe he isn't writing Suikoden VI. Maybe he's doing a series reboot.
Gunloc said:

This is one of the worst and most unnecessary of all the ideas I've heard people toss out. The Suikoden series doesn't need a reboot, and Suikoden I sure as hell doesn't need an HD remake. I would shake my head in sadness if the long dreamt of reunion of Murayama and the Suikoden series resulted in something so insignificant and unneeded as a remake. What an awful waste that would be.

Trumpets

Am I right when I say that the original Suikoden mastermind left after the first two games? If so I'm only interested in a new Suikoden if he's on board.

I & II >------------> III & IV & V & Teikerisis or however it's spelt.

leroidys

Trumpets said:
Am I right when I say that the original Suikoden mastermind left after the first two games? If so I'm only interested in a new Suikoden if he's on board.

I believe that he left sometime during III's development.

KAL2006

Banned
Trumpets said:

I actually enjoyed all of them except IV and Teikerisis

vanguardian1 said:
Beats FFXII.
But then again, what doesn't?
So much eviscerates FFXII it's not even funny. FFX-2's battle system is fucking glorious.

My opinion is that the entire series became pointless after Miki Hagashino's beautiful compositions disappeared after the first two games. Coincidentally, that's when gameplay, graphics, sound, and story seemed to downgrade as well. I couldn't stand V. There's just so much about it that rubs me the wrong way.

I enjoyed all of them although I had to force my way through S4 and still working on Tierkreis.

There's so much that can be done with Suikoden and I really don't see why they couldn't make a canon game again. It's not like a character like, say, Kyle is inherently any more sellable and mainstream than, say, Flik. And if someone doesn't know the entire story from S1 and forward, S6 should still stand on its own just like S5 which requires no knowledge of earlier games (but rewards it).

In terms of possible outcomes from best to worst:
* Suikoden VI set after Suikoden III, moving into Harmonia with a few returning characters from S2/S3, setting up a huge plot that will span several games.
* Suikoden VI showing the Flame Champion's adventures (although, I'm pretty sure that wasn't a 108 Star event).
* Any other game set in the fifty years leading up to S3.
* Suikoden I&II full remake for anything other than DS.
* Suikoden Tierkreis 2 building on Tierkreis (because hey, some of those characters do rock).
* Suikoden I&II Final Fantasy III style crappy 3D model remake for DS.
* No Suikoden game ever released again.
* Suikoden Tierkreis 2 throwing away everything that Tierkreis established and starting over AGAIN.

I never fniished 1 and 2 so I don't know, but do we ever actually see Harmonia? 3 made it seem like some kind of technological city of the gods if I'm remembering correctly (which I'm very possibly not).

B.K.

Not in any of the main games. I believe that part of one of the GensoSuiko Gaiden games takes place in Harmonia.

kenji

* Suikoden VI set after Suikoden III, moving into Harmonia with a few returning characters from S2/S3, setting up a huge plot that will span several ga
oh god, i want THIS ;_;

cosmicblizzard said:
I never fniished 1 and 2 so I don't know, but do we ever actually see Harmonia? 3 made it seem like some kind of technological city of the gods if I'm remembering correctly (which I'm very possibly not).
You get to see parts of Harmonia in Suikogaiden Vol. 2 and Suikoden III. But they only just scratched the surface.

ethelred said:
Specifically, I thought it'd be great to have it focus on the High East Rebellion described in Suikoden III, as it'd be a neat way to revisit some old locations and some old favorite characters while still allowing the next numeric installments to keep pushing forward with the overall arc. A plus, in my mind, would've been the game featuring really high quality 2D backdrops and sprites.
I've always thought the High East Rebellion would work well with a Suikoden Tactics-esque treatment. (With some major overhauling obviously.)

I could really see a SRPG sub-series highlighting some of the smaller events in the timeline and I'm disappointed Konami hasn't capitalized on that.

ethelred said:
This is one of the worst and most unnecessary of all the ideas I've heard people toss out. The Suikoden series doesn't need a reboot, and Suikoden I sure as hell doesn't need an HD remake. I would shake my head in sadness if the long dreamt of reunion of Murayama and the Suikoden series resulted in something so insignificant and unneeded as a remake. What an awful waste that would be.
I agree with you that Suikoden doesn't need a reboot at all, but I really don't think a remake of the first entry would be a waste. While obviously a new canon installment would be the best use of Konami's effort (especially if Murayama returns), I think a remake could accomplish what Konami tried to do with Tierkreis.

Konami has said that they worry that the mythos may be too much for new fans to tackle and is very daunting. IMO, a remake of the first game is a much friendlier way to initiate new people into the series and actually give them relevant experience on how the series works than an unrelated spin-off. (Despite the quality of the game in and of itself.)

Plus they could add in some of staples long time fans are used too. The lesser Stars of Destiny in the first Suikoden are some of the more underdeveloped characters in the series due to a lack of avenues in which players use to learn more background about them. (Detectives, Bath Scenes, etc.) I would welcome a chance to learn more about them and flesh out some of the more condensed events of the first game.

ethelred said:
So you'd like a game that takes place between the earliest point in the in-game series chronology and the latest point in the in-game series chronology. Er... okay?
My point is I want a game that happens/occurs within the Suikoverse that I've known from S1 to S5.
B.K. said:
Not in any of the main games. I believe that part of one of the GensoSuiko Gaiden games takes place in Harmonia.
If I remember correctly, you get to visit Crystal Valley.

i'd be happy with anything set between I and V, except IV. even remakes would be fine as long as we keep 3D models like those used in tierkreis away from the series.

or a straightforward VI....

Top Bottom