• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Rep Says 'I Hope We Earn You Back'

How can they win us back when they're only making money-grabbing scamboxes for smokey parlors in the streets of Tokyo?

We're no longer in their demographic.

There's probably many employees there that hate some decisions that the company has made, but can't do anything about it. I'm not gonna take Konami's decisions out on this guy.

Maybe if they up-ended their corporate structure to stop treating their most talented minds like disposable shit.

Which I doubt is something a US Social Media Manager can accomplish.

G0523

Konami has burned too many bridges to try to earn anyone back. I'm sure they're still doing fine with the slot machine and pachinko business but this PR stunt just seems pointless. I kinda feel bad for this Ben guy who's speaking on behalf of the company. It seems like a very thankless job. I doubt Konami will ever be seen as a major game publisher ever again. It wasn't just something that was mean-spirited, it was a very poor way to do business. You do not burn bridges in business, period. And that's what they did. To try to rectify that is just a waste of time now and they should just move on to different things.

Dee Dee

real talk: is konami's us social media manager actually privy to anything the company is doing?

This!

I work as a CM and there is nothing more empty than "we are looking into it", "we really want to" or "we are preparing an announcement" (lol). It's a bunch of "I don't know", if you translate it back from marketing speak.

People getting excited over a Social Media rep trying to paint things in a nicer light... oh boy that article.

A-V-B

Konami has burned too many bridges to try to earn anyone back. I'm sure they're still doing fine with the slot machine and pachinko business but this PR stunt just seems pointless. I kinda feel bad for this Ben guy who's speaking on behalf of the company. It seems like a very thankless job. I doubt Konami will ever be seen as a major game publisher ever again. It wasn't just something that was mean-spirited, it was a very poor way to do business. You do not burn bridges in business, period. And that's what they did. To try to rectify that is just a waste of time now and they should just move on to different things.

Yeah, sucks for Ben. I mean, he works there. It really sucks.

Please escape Konami, Ben.

#freeben

ActWan

I don't really care if they remake all the franchises they killed with the FOX engine
They'll earn some of me back if they'll sell the rights to those franchises

Did they talk about suikoden?

Hahaha!! Of course they didn't. You didn't buy Tierkreis, so obviously there's no interest!

Seriously though there probably isn't enough interest for Suikoden to justify making a new game, and after recently playing through Suikoden 2 again, that makes me sad. I'd do a lot of things for a modern 2d game in that style. I didn't think Tierkreis was terrible, but it was a mere shadow of S1 and S2 and to a lesser extent the PS2 games.

b8c89a50_Kanye-West-How.jpeg

Pejo

Gold Member
If I'm being honest here, I feel that Konami and Capcom hold the "best" (not highest selling) 3rd party IPs in all of videogames.

If Konami were to somehow use their IPs and create games that aren't awful and don't rip off fans and consumers in new ways (invasion insurance in MGSV), I could definitely see some people turning around on their view of them.

Gamers have been proven to have really short memories in the past with giving companies second/third/fourth chances.

It all depends on the games, they certainly don't have any goodwill left to lean on.

I'm sorry, Ben, but your words mean nothing. Your position doesn't have very much insight nor were you in the rooms with the execs that made their terrible decisions.

I want upper management to talk about these issues and how they plan to win us back.
Don't send me your intern to talk about how sorry the company is.

Mechazawa

I mean, if they make a good game, people will buy it as much as Kojima stans think otherwise, but outside of PES, we're missing the actual "making games" part of the equation here.

Blueingreen

Give a Del Too and Kojima if he wants to return an unlimited budget for the revival of Silent Hills, allow bluepoint to port Silent Hill 2-3 properly, an Ultimate mgs collection complete with Policenauts HD hire Platinum to make Zone of the Enders 3 with a story written by Kojima, and maybe we'll talk things out.

Tom Nook

You want me back?

Bring back...

PT Silent Hill

A David Hayter MSG game, maybe a new IP with Hayter involvement.

You have the HUDSON SOFT library, USE IT!

Not going to happen. (But I will still buy all of your 3DS VC releases)

The only way this would happen for me is if they would give Kojima his engine back. And partner with Kojima's studio to bring PT/Silent Hills back, with considerable royalty share.

Nah, Konami are almost too far gone for me.

If the next MGS game is truly mind blowing I might sing a different tune...
But my expectations are at zero with all the lost talent, general gutting of MGS V and all the f2p bullshit elements they clearly shoved into that game.

Konami can go to hell. Not supporting anything the release ever again. Igarishi is gone so no authentic Castlevania. Kojima is gone so no authentic Metal Gear. Silent Hills cancelled. Like why would I buy anything from you again?

Holdfing

I'd buy a remaster/remake of MGS and Silent Hill games on PC/current gen tbh. Only concern is quality - so no SH2-3 remaster garbage. And no "Virtuous Mission for 40 dollars and the rest later for 60" bullshit a la GZ/TPP.

Edit: Wouldn't say no to MGR2 either.

Spizz

Banned
After what Konami did last year there's no turning back, I don't even think an MGS3 remake would do it considering they really hurt people's interest in MGS with V.

And then there's Silent Hills...

Aces&Eights

If they are sincere, they should agree to have the CEO appear on the Jimquisition to formally apologize and then accept whatever Jim requires from them to prove they mean it.

Here's how to win us back

1) treat your employees like people and not machines to make games

2) make not just good games, make great game

3) give Jim Sterling More pogs then he can possibly fuck in a life time

For me personally, sell the Zone of the Enders IP to someone who could and will make a worthy ZoE3 and then, maybe then I'll think about it...

Unless a major shift within the company happens & they decide they want back into the console market in a big way, I just don't see it happening any time soon... if ever.

If they are interested in that happening & want to win fans back, they should look no further than to one of their Japanese brethren in this business, Square-Enix, and learn a bit from them.

For me personally, they get me back immediately by:
-finding some talented Team Silent members now seemingly lost in the void (Tsuboyama, Imamura, Ito, Owaku, maybe even Sato) - also Yamaoka, of course.
-give them a respectable budget & full access to the Fox Engine.
-let those brilliant minds create a new Silent Hill, unhindered by 'mass appeal' guidelines & encouraged to just go wild artistically; something that they were allowed to do with SH2 and unfortunately not since.

Otherwise, Konami (and the SH series) can piss off for all I care. Thanks for the memories.

RK128

Outside of maybe making a MGS3 remake using the Fox Engine and assets from the Pachinko Machine of MGS3.....its better to expect nothing.

I mean, its likely we will get something from Konami in the future, but I expect ports/remasters of last generation games like Lords of Shadow 1 & 2, MGS4, the PS3/360 Silent Hills and other stuff. Even that is stretching things a bit though, as they aren't a gaming company anymore.

That is fine to me, as they made the great games already and are willing to work with people on their IP (Nintendo getting Castlvanna 2 & Contra on the NES system coming out this Fall for example). But if they really want to get back into gaming again.....they needed to ALOT to win people back and even then, that might not be enough.

Interesting development this is honestly......

Top Bottom