• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koreans all looking the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Side by side comparisons. Not surgery, lots of make up and photoshopping though. Holy crap. There are so many every day girls on the streets in Korea that look way better than these girls.

ZOFZoBJ.jpg
Ugh you are so right. No. 7 even looks better in the before picture.

If make up and Photoshop can do that much, maybe I should ask my wife to put it on more often lol

Seriously though, I was working near one of the women's universities and I saw a LOT of girls that were much cuter.

ramyeon

Ugh you are so right. No. 7 even looks better in the before picture.

If make up and Photoshop can do that much, maybe I should ask my wife to put it on more often lol

Seriously though, I was working near one of the women's universities and I saw a LOT of girls that were much cuter.
Yeah, when I was going to university in Korea there were heaps of much better looking girls on campus. Strange how this is the group that are in a beauty pageant.

Korean photoshop skills are scary though. I got a photo taken for my foreigner ID card over there and the photographer asked me to come back in 30 minutes so they could edit it. My skin had never looked better - he even fixed up parts of my hair line and there was not a single visible blemish.

Yeah, when I was going to university in Korea there were heaps of much better looking girls on campus. Strange how this is the group that are in a beauty pageant.

Check out the girls in fashion magazines and in pageants in the US. I guess you could say that they're generally beautiful but the judges and people who run the fashion media are basing it off of an arbitrary standard of beauty and of course if the girls want to succeed they have to look like whatever that standard is. In the case of the Korean pageant, it's the look that you see every single girl have.

When you go to animal shows it's the exact same thing. They have a set, arbitrary idea of what the animals should look like and the winner is the one that gets closest to that standard, regardless of whether it's "beautiful" or not.

ramyeon

Check out the girls in fashion magazines and in pageants in the US. I guess you could say that they're generally beautiful but the judges and people who run the fashion media are basing it off of an arbitrary standard of beauty and of course if the girls want to succeed they have to look like whatever that standard is. In the case of the Korean pageant, it's the look that you see every single girl have.

When you go to animal shows it's the exact same thing. They have a set, arbitrary idea of what the animals should look like and the winner is the one that gets closest to that standard, regardless of whether it's "beautiful" or not.
I meant they don't really look good in the candid shots of them either though. Not the photoshopped, caked in makeup shots.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Korean photoshop skills are scary though. I got a photo taken for my foreigner ID card over there and the photographer asked me to come back in 30 minutes so they could edit it. My skin had never looked better - he even fixed up parts of my hair line and there was not a single visible blemish.
Yeah I remember this. I said I didn't need it photo shopped, but he said you would barely notice and you don't lose anything by it. So I just said OK whatever sure.

He made my skin lighter... :(

Usobuko

Banned
Okay then, although I would also say that total number is different from rate. The numbers observed earlier would place Taiwan above them.

Firstly, give the link for those numbers. Secondly, does the number of surgery procedures explicitly implies it's only for the citizens in the country? For all you know, the middle-class in China might to go to Taiwan because they don't trust their own country surgeons?

Not exactly a rare case if you interact with the Chinese from all background adequately.

ramyeon

Firstly, give the link for those numbers. Secondly, does the number of surgery procedures explicitly implies it's only for the citizens in the country? For all you know, the middle-class in China might to go to Taiwan because they don't trust their own country surgeons?

Not exactly a rare case if you interact with the Chinese from all background adequately.
In that case, medical tourism for plastic surgery is huge in Korea. So a large number of patients are also not Korean. They even have clinics with attached hotels for recovery periods. This includes patients from China, Japan, Taiwan and other parts of Asia as well as Europe, Oceania and the Americas I'm sure.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Firstly, give the link for those numbers.
When someone says something like "observed earlier" you can click the quotation links to the right of their username on the quote box to trace the posts back through the conversation and find what they were talking about.

Secondly, does the number of surgery procedures explicitly implies it's only for the citizens in the country? For all you know, the middle-class in China might to go to Taiwan because they don't trust their own country surgeons?
Yes, I made this exact same point in regard to people traveling to Korea to get surgery. Try out the quote box link trick to find where.

Dice

I like 16 best based on those "before" pics. 1 seems like the kind of girl that looks a lot better in person.

Dali

That's kind of terrible photoshopping in my book. Just like these pageant contestants pictures. They aren't representative of the contestants like at all. They look nothing alike in most cases. They are more original paint overs than photoshop touch ups.

big_z

i wonder if it feels weird to wake up one day with a completely different face. it's gotta be weird seeing tons of people walking around that look nearly identical to you too.

ramyeon

That's kind of terrible photoshopping in my book. Just like these pageant contestants pictures. They aren't representative of the contestants like at all. They look nothing alike in most cases. They are more original paint overs than photoshop touch ups.
Well mine still looked like me. Just little differences, of course this is much more extreme but this kind of photoshopping on models/pageant entrants happens everywhere.

i wonder if it feels weird to wake up one day with a completely different face. it's gotta be weird seeing tons of people walking around that look nearly identical to you too.
It's been established that these aren't surgical.

Regular people in Korea who get surgery done only do minor things. Double eyelids are the most common I'd say, followed by nose jobs. They don't get entire makeovers generally. I'm sure there are people who do "wake up one day with a completely different face" but for the most part that is not the case.

zoukka

Well mine still looked like me. Just little differences, of course this is much more extreme but this kind of photoshopping on models/pageant entrants happens everywhere.

Which makes this whole beauty pageant thingy so stupid and pointless.

uvz

Neo Member
If you're going to jump into an old argument, at least see it through to see what happened in it before you join so as to correct what misunderstandings you can on your own. Follow that conversation you quoted and you will find people who did say it was unique. The one who continued the argument eventually clarified that he meant unique only insofar as having the highest total number of surgeries was unique, and I explained how I assumed that he meant something more significant because such a statement is rather empty in my view. The other person who said it was unique never clarified the exact nature or extent of their statement.

Plenty of people don't like it because they seem to misunderstand it. Usually when I argue, I go by what people wrote, and I clearly explain what I understood their statement to mean. I'm not going to "get the gist" and assume the best. I really don't like arguments of "they weren't trying to be racist they just said something racist" because I really don't care to pursue anyone by their character. I don't know them personally, and I can't know them with certainty over the internet. All I can know and interact with is what they say, so I will deal with their statements.

That is what I did in that argument, and that is how we came to realize the difference in perspective on the statement. The significance of difference in perspective was so strong that I felt he was moving goalposts to remove all weight from the word "unique" but he insisted that it is what he originally meant and I accepted that. It wasn't comfortable, but I think through it I came to understand new possibilities for such statements made and he came to understand possible offensive implications certain types of statements can unintentionally convey to others.

Am i not allowed to have my own opinion on a old argument, that's called a forum. I did follow it through and like you just said he concluded that he had misunderstood you and you him . The second paragraph is agreeing with what I said.

I feel as though you did not address the main point. You feel there is nothing to be gained from the empirical evidence saying Korean's have more surgery, their is no assumptions we can make from this about peoples culture or beliefs. Clearly we can't make sweeping generalizations but to ignore the evidence would be a mistake.

Dice

I feel as though you did not address the main point. You feel there is nothing to be gained from the empirical evidence saying Korean's have more surgery, their is no assumptions we can make from this about peoples culture or beliefs. Clearly we can't make sweeping generalizations but to ignore the evidence would be a mistake.
As I argued with him, there are too many factors involved to assuredly claim they are a special case. You have totals vs population, type breakdown of procedures and their significance, regional ideals of certain beautiful features (rather than national), medical tourism affecting the numbers and demonstrating commonality in surrounding countries, etc. If you want to try and figure out something about national mindset (a nebulous term in itself) the total number of procedures that have taken place in the country tells you very little. When we start taking into account all that we can, we find that these things are common in any highly developed and competitive area. It has far more to do with that than it does with some characteristic that can be defined as specific to Korea as a nation.

Even then, if you could actually somehow demonstrate in a sensible, rational way that Korea is very especially into it over other nations so far as to consider it a unique societal problem, it's kind of worthless to just leave your statement that vague. You should be getting some substantial idea of what the problem is (low self esteem? personal vanity? undue corporate expectations? convenience over a lifestyle of nutrition and fitness?) before raising it as an issue. Otherwise, you are just going "yeah, something is wrong with those guys" and casting a negative light on an entire people with no constructive purpose.

I was just in Myung Dong two hours ago and I couldn't believe how much amazing looking girls there were.

I mean, all these Kpop stars can't run for this miss korea thing or they would just steal the show. These events are closed to professionals models, right ?

A lot of them look so much better without Photoshop/make-up if for no other reason than because they actually look like individuals without Photoshop magic being applied. Natural smiles also go a long way. Kind of a fan of #2.

Cloudy

Banned
Meh, some of them look pretty good to me. Seems like it's the same makeup person (as opposed to plastic surgeon) judging by the normal pics

Fivefold

Banned
Korean girls are definetely the better looking ones in eastern asia, surgery shenanigans or not.

But pretty much impossible for a western guy to even approach, at least compared to japanese ones, who will fall for the lamest pickups ever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am now interested in a Korean remake of STEPFORD WIVES.

It wouldn't be exactly the same. :( More horror-infused which probably could work with these Pageant contestants.

@the preshots: 7, 13, 14 look decent without make-up. The others need a little work (read: hairstyles and possibly a little make-up or some clothes changes) but aren't completely awful. Why all of them went through extensive make-up to look exactly the same...

Pronewbie

Banned
Korean girls are definetely the better looking ones in eastern asia, surgery shenanigans or not.

But pretty much impossible for a western guy to even approach, at least compared to japanese ones, who will fall for the lamest pickups ever.

To Asian men, they're considered one of the ugliest without surgery. Vietnam and Thailand where it's at.

tino

Banned
Immediately my thought on this thread.

That movie completely fucked up that concept. The replicas obviously should be played by one actress. But because the Wachoski brothers wanted to sell tickets in China and Korea, they got two actresses from 2 different countries and play those women.

sleepykyo

Side by side comparisons. Not surgery, lots of make up and photoshopping though. Holy crap. There are so many every day girls on the streets in Korea that look way better than these girls.

ZOFZoBJ.jpg

16 should win the evening gown section if they have one.

Pronewbie

Banned
So much bullshit in this post alone compared to this entire thread.

Piss off. I live in Singapore so I know what I'm talking about. Pre-surgery Koreans are generally bad looking to most Chinese living in the far east. This doesn't mean we can't appreciate post-surgery beauty.

In fact, many chinese find the tastes of westerners somewhat bemusing when it comes to Chinese women. This has been widely commented in countries like Singapore, Taiwan and China.

I am obviously generalising here and there will always be exceptions.

Zoe

That movie completely fucked up that concept. The replicas obviously should be played by one actress. But because the Wachoski brothers wanted to sell tickets in China and Korea, they got two actresses from 2 different countries and play those women.
They needed different actresses to continue the love story...
Also, they were all clones, but there were different varieties of clones.

Piss off. I live in Singapore so I know what I'm talking about. Pre-surgery Koreans are generally bad looking to most Chinese living in the far east. This doesn't mean we can't appreciate post-surgery beauty.

In fact, many chinese find the tastes of westerners somewhat bemusing when it comes to Chinese women. This has been widely commented in countries like Singapore, Taiwan and China.

please, keep talking about the tastes of every person in asia and how you know what entire countries find beautiful.

Haha, I love the fact that this idiot is talking in behalf of over billion Asian males in East Asia.

Keep being delusional.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I think there are definitely trends when it comes to majority tastes. For example, someone like Lucy Liu, who is considered to be beautiful by many people in the west, is just not the type of face that would ever be popular in east Asian countries.

Eh, I think there are definitely trends when it comes to majority tastes. For example, someone like Lucy Liu, who is considered to be beautiful by many people in the west, is just not the type of face that would ever be popular in east Asian countries.

No one really likes Lucy Liu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom