• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Child Predators Accused Of Using Nintendo's SwapNote Service

zigg

How were these girls Swap Noting with strangers?

I mean, isn't the point of Nintendo's restrictive friend code function meant to ward off situations like this?
Nintendo said kids were trading codes willy-nilly outside their network (and, as was pointed out elsewhere in this thread but left unsaid, probably also through Animal Crossing.) Pokémon's Friend Safari feature seemed a likely reason why for the former case, since more friends = rare Pokémons, as I understand it.

StreetPass lets you interact with strangers.
I've yet to come across a situation where StreetPass creates a two-way communication channel. Yes, there are plenty of situations where someone's a little crass, but even Swapnote itself would only StreetPass notes with your 3DS friends (making it effectively a useless feature, heh.)

Double checking the parental controls, I discovered you can lock the friends list and change a whole bunch of settings. The tools are there to prevent this from happening as long as you know not to share the pass. Nintendo really just needs to get that message out more.
Phew, I dunno. I mean, it's all there, but there are so many knobs that a non-3DS-using parent likely has no idea about. I knew for my kids, so I could tailor them pretty nicely, but I can imagine even a well-meaning parent may not know which things to flip off and may also flip things back on if a kid complains it's getting in the way of their game.

Despicable shit.
Indeed.

Avallon

This is not a reason to shut down the entire service. It's an overreaction to something out of their control.

Shahed

The worst feeling is when you have your faith in humanity shaken like this. Sure it's a minority, but it still leaves me feeling sick to the core.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I assume the real problem here from Nintendo's perspective is that Swapnote didn't have the kind of monitoring and filtering in place that Miiverse does. (As far as I know.)

Though this incident does make me think Nintendo may want to be even more aggressive with informing parents on making their children use the back-up add friends function on Wii U and to make sure Miiverse is locked down. (I.e. adding friends through Miiverse can be turned off, requiring children manually exchange ID codes found in the actual friends' list.)

Nintendo said kids were trading codes willy-nilly outside their network (and, as was pointed out elsewhere in this thread but left unsaid, probably also through Animal Crossing.) Pokémon's Friend Safari feature seemed a likely reason why for the former case, since more friends = rare Pokémons, as I understand it.
Not only that but when you traded with randoms after the trade there was an option along the lines of "let's be friends" and if they accepted they became friends on your system. I traded with randoms a few days ago (for the above reason) and the option did not appear.

i'm confused... how do you get a swapnote from strangers without friendcodes?

You can exchange streetpass notes with strangers after meeting them twice... but thats about it i thought?

never ever got a swapnote from a stranger before.

Shahed

You can exchange streetpass notes with strangers after meeting them twice... but thats about it i thought?

never ever got a swapnote from a stranger before.

Maybe they gave friend codes out during the street pass? I don't know how it works since I don't have a 3DS yet

Somnid

Awful, what is this? Off-topic GAF? We all laugh at blaming child predators until there's actual child predators. I don't know what the effective solution is, or that there really is one but I think Nintendo felt obligated to do something. This is why we can't have nice things.

zigg

This is not a reason to shut down the entire service. It's an overreaction to something out of their control.
That's the real question, isn't it? Should Nintendo, who makes toys for kids (let's not mince words here, and this is coming from a mid-30's guy who has carried a 3DS since launch), consider the fact that their device was used as a conduit for this as unfortunate collateral damage, or as a reason to discontinue the service entirely so it never happens again? Is it going to happen anyway, or can they stop it?

I'm not sure what the answer is. I might have pulled the plug myself if it had been my call and I was convinced there was little I could do to stop it from happening again.

I assume the real problem here from Nintendo's perspective is that Swapnote didn't have the kind of monitoring and filtering in place that Miiverse does. (As far as I know.)

Though this incident does make me think Nintendo may want to be even more aggressive with informing parents on making their children use the back-up add friends function on Wii U and to make sure Miiverse is locked down. (I.e. adding friends through Miiverse can be turned off, requiring children manually exchange ID codes found in the actual friends' list.)
I started to reply that Miiverse was a different case because public messages are seen by lots of people and flagged for moderation, but I did forget about the private messages function, so now I'm left wondering what may happen to Miiverse—I don't think you can rely on kids reporting messages that make them uncomfortable (if they even do in the first place.) It seems very implausible that Nintendo would employ moderators to vet private messages.

Oppo

I wonder if this also has to do with the fact that a brand new Parental Controls app just appeared on the Vita homescreen a day ago.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The same way GAFers get friendcodes from other GAFers they don't know. The web.

To do it through a streetpass would require roughly the following steps.
  1. Both parties streetpass each other.
  2. The next time they pass they can choose to give a personal message. One of them makes their's their friendcode (note I have never tested if this is possible to enter).
  3. They would then streetpass again to pass on the personal message. Then other party will know what they want and reply with a personal message containing their friendcode.
  4. Then they'd have to streetpass again.

So it would take quite a few passes to trade codes via this method and that doesn't take into account that the only time you see the message is at the entrance gate. Once they are in the plaza you can't refer to it. Of course the 3DS does have the ability to take down notes if you remember that feature.

NolbertoS

Wow, fuckin sickos ruining it for a majority. I understand why Nintendo shut it down, but thats not a 100% solution either. You still see FB, Twitter and Myspace up, even though teens have been cyber bullied, etc. i think Nintendo has a high level of control checks, but there's always cracks in a system

zigg

Not only that but when you traded with randoms after the trade there was an option along the lines of "let's be friends" and if they accepted they became friends on your system. I traded with randoms a few days ago (for the above reason) and the option did not appear.
Yeah, come to think of it, a few other games may have had that option too.

There probably really needs to be two lists, one that permits communication and one that doesn't. I thought they were going down that road waaay back when Metroid Prime Hunters came out with its Rivals feature.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Welp. This sucks, but it makes sense why they removed it.

Nintendo's system being associated with pedophilia and rape would put many prospective buyers off this holiday season.

zigg

Wow, fuckin sickos ruining it for a majority. I understand why Nintendo shut it down, but thats not a 100% solution either. You still see FB, Twitter and Myspace up, even though teens have been cyber bullied, etc. i think Nintendo has a high level of control checks, but there's always cracks in a system
I think the common thread here is that this is happening on a screen that, by design, only the kids can see. If it was happening on the living room PC or TV then it's far more likely a parent can see something is wrong. Even if a parent makes a serious effort to keep tabs, it's very easy for a kid to hide something they think they shouldn't be doing. I'm not sure what, as a society, we can do about this.

Yeah here in the UK, pretty much every online service has seen this kind of stuff..

All the social media stuff be it facebook, twitter, etc etc.. its not just isolated to swapnote.. nearly every week something crops up in our media about shit like this... and that's no exaggeration..

McLovin

Its crazy that this kind of thing happens. If shit like this happens I really think giving kids iphones should be outlawed. Or it should have a mode that only lets you call 911 or your parents. Nintendo needs to make it hard to override parental controls too.

zroid

Banned
That's the real question, isn't it? Should Nintendo, who makes toys for kids (let's not mince words here, and this is coming from a mid-30's guy who has carried a 3DS since launch), consider the fact that their device was used as a conduit for this as unfortunate collateral damage, or as a reason to discontinue the service entirely so it never happens again? Is it going to happen anyway, or can they stop it?

I'm not sure what the answer is. I might have pulled the plug myself if it had been my call and I was convinced there was little I could do to stop it from happening again.

That's more or less how I see it at this point. Banning the offenders obviously isn't a solution. The only thing they could do (short-term) outside of killing the service is moderating every single message. A tall order when the messages are 100% images, photographs, and audio. And they had to do something, else they would come under fire for sure -- as you said, these are devices sold to parents as things they feel they can entrust to their children. Over the long term hopefully a greater emphasis will somehow be placed on using parental controls more effectively, but that will take time.

Fireblend

Banned
Its crazy that this kind of thing happens. If shit like this happens I really think giving kids iphones should be outlawed. Or it should have a mode that only lets you call 911 or your parents. Nintendo needs to make it hard to override parental controls too.

Setting up a pin takes seconds and a 4-digit pin has a 1 in 10000 chance of being broken, and there's a pin tries limit. This is not about Nintendo having to implement stricter controls. This is about parents not doing their job.

I hope Nintendo realize that regardless of them shutting down the online service, people they feared would scapegoat Swapnote are still going to scapegoat Swapnote.

And THIS is why Nintendo is slow to adopt anything related to the Internet.

I think so too, yeah. On that note, I always thought that the console bound account system they have, is purely due to them being able to safeguard it this way from hackers and other sorts. I mean, I've see how often it happens on Xbox Live, so doing it like this seems like the most child friendly way to go. Not that this makes me like it any more, but it seems like the best way to prevent a lot of kids from losing their accounts.

At any rate, these guys are disgusting people and I hope they rot in jail for as long as possible.

Lumyst

And THIS is why Nintendo is slow to adopt anything related to the Internet.

There's also the responsibility of handling people's data too, I'd think their nightmare scenario would be to lose control and have their network hacked, though with the increasing importance of connected gaming they may need to figure out how to handle that before it happens.

Frolow

Banned
That's worse than I thought. I initially imagined that it was just dickhead kids swapping nudes with each other.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm actually impressed with the parental controls on the Wii u, 3ds and the 360. They've all had stellar implementation. Now, you have to use it and fine up with a decent password. But none of these things are effort less.

On the Nintendo consoles, I can shut down every feature and program. I don't think I can ask for better. Now, the kindle is a piece of shit in this regard. They don't givea fuck and want your kids with your credit card buying all types of shit.

zigg

Now, the kindle is a piece of shit in this regard. They don't givea fuck and want your kids with your credit card buying all types of shit.
On my daughter's Fire, we do have a parental control password for purchases, and it works.

But I also created her an account with a test credit card number anyway so that it validated but can never be charged to.

dcx4610

Kotaku: Child Predators Accused Of Using Nintendo's SwapNote Service

Send in the Aliens....

d8928970024584a43de13a703c404269.jpg

And does Xbox shut off off xbox live when people meet up inappropriately from that, which has happened? No. I love Nintendo hardcore more than nearly anything else in life, but fuck them for this. Parental controls, people.

andthebeatgoeson

On my daughter's Fire, we do have a parental control password for purchases, and it works.

But I also created her an account with a test credit card number anyway so that it validated but can never be charged to.
I very well could be at old man programming a remote status but I have no idea why they force you to put a credit card on an account when they have plenty of free apps. That's just phenomenally stupid if you consider a kid being the primary user.

And considering how I've seen some implementations of that plan for parental restrictions (I phone user getting emails for downloads on kids account), it's discouraging. I didn't look for more than an hour because I was so disappointed in their implementation. I'll try looking again.

Wut? They have every right to kill it. Nintendo giveth, nintendo taketh away. Theyre probably altering the terms atm. Its totally reasonable to shit this down as there is also likely a criminal investigation and i would be surprised if nintendo faces a lawsuit

I didn't say they don't have a right to shut it down....

How? The point is that if somebody wants to prey on children, it's going to happen. There's nothing special about Swapnote that made it a good utility to do so, and shutting the entire service down because something terrible happened over it is short-sighted.
Nintendo's system doesn't connect to a greater ecosystem of communication, for one. It's more specialized and thus has a more predictable audience. My main point is that those services are all not equally suitable for exploiting minors. To clarify my own stance, I don't know if Nintendo made the right move.
I've yet to come across a situation where StreetPass creates a two-way communication channel. Yes, there are plenty of situations where someone's a little crass, but even Swapnote itself would only StreetPass notes with your 3DS friends (making it effectively a useless feature, heh.)
You're right, I was mistaken. You can swap friend codes wirelessly in close proximity, though.

Elija2

That's frightening. I still don't think Nintendo were totally justified in shutting Swapnote down because if they had the system in place they could simply ban the offending 3DS' (and I'm sure they do since they can remotely remove games from 3DS'). That said, I can see why they did it since they don't even want to risk it happening again. I still hope that Swapnote isn't gone forever and that they bring it back along with more prominent parental controls.

heyf00L

I don't understand how they were able to be friends with strangers. You need some external form of communication to do that.

What does the Vita do to prevent this?

Annubis

How the hell do these young girls end up in a hotel room with two much older men???

That's actually a good question =/

I clearly wasn't a genius as a kid but if 2 adults wanted me to go in an hotel room with them, I would have found that to be shady as fuck.

gogoud

I don't understand how they were able to be friends with strangers. You need some external form of communication to do that.

What does the Vita do to prevent this?

you can't really prevent something like this.

group a sends a friend code to group b and vice versa. exchange a few messages of polite flirting. exchange pictures. and boom.

you would need an active parent who cares about what their child is doing. giving them all the trust because you think your little angel is the most mature pre-teen in the world is the worst thing you can do. but it happens a lot.

One way I think of preventing something like this a full ID of every profile incl phone number, emails and all sorts of things... so that if someone does something gross such as this it'll be easier to hunt these people down and lock them away. if a child under the age of 16 buys a gaming device, register it to the parent and send them a monthly receipt of all their interactions with a detailed transcript of the profiles they are communicating with. allow the parent to block or report any activity.

But such a thing won't happen. Grown up gamers will feel threatened that their trash talking might get them in trouble if it's linked to their real life profile. Some parents will find excuses to blame everyone else but their own neglect. But it would deter predators who'd have to give in their real name/address/phone number to use a service which sees most of its use in the hands of children.

Boy, If I had a kid and I found this out. I would demand nintendo to bring back the network just so I could see if and what my child was exposed to. Make sure my precious little offspring wasn't vandalized in any way shape or form and then if any of that happened, find a quickest way to figure out who that person was and bash their face in repeatedly and then spam their bruised up face all over swapnote.

I do hope nintendo has a record of all the messages / transcripts and are now working with authorities.

trixx

Yes I agree they should just shut down the service. This is disgusting, not their fault but still.

Who actually uses swap note anyways? Just text your friend to come on Pokemon via a text message or message them online

heyf00L

Yes I agree they should just shut down the service. This is disgusting, not their fault but still.

Who actually uses swap note anyways? Just text your friend to come on Pokemon via a text message or message them online

I liked drawing pictures to my friends. I did it regularly.

balohna

Impressed that Nintendo caught this before anyone in the press or general public made a stink about it.

Shitty that it happened at all, but good on them for being responsive.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

There was an active GAF community. It was a fun little thing to use.

Top Bottom