• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Child Predators Accused Of Using Nintendo's SwapNote Service

Tygamr

Dang. That's messed up.

So the whole thing got shut down? Not really sad, because I pretty much never used it, and it wasn't a very good messaging app- took too long for messages to get to your friend. Wish they had just implemented a more Facebook like message app, like PSN has.

IIRC you can't put numbers on Animal Crossing's chat feature, so you can't exchange friend-codes.

But it's been a while.... I could be mistaken.

You are.

I exchanged friend codes a while back with someone l met on the Animal Crossing island. It was actually really cool and fun!

(We'd been talking for about an hour–-with the 3DS's crappy keyboard, I know–-and she told me she'd graduated from college, so I knew it wasn't some super-young girl)

Come to think of it… while we've never send each other swap notes, there's no reason we couldn't have. So this really could have happened entirely through the 3DS.

rpmurphy

I'm hoping they simply couldn't remotely disable the picture sending functionality in a timely manner and disabling spotPass is temporary until they can push an update that doesn't send pictures anymore. Without SpotPass the service is pretty much dead.
Man, after this piece of news, I'm not holding onto any hope that Spotpass for the app will return. It's not just the picture-sending that's the bad part, it's also the whole part about the men using the service to set themselves up with the girls in hotels (probably money involved). Even if disable pictures, I'd assume that they'd have to re-architect the app and backend so that all of the messages sent over the network can be logged and monitored.

Top Bottom