• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: In Japan, Sony Still Believes In The PS Vita

That was still an outlier in terms of Nintendo handheld competitors, mostly buoyed on MH sales, which wisely Nintendo locked up this generation.

Sony handhelds only have two generations of data. Not enough to measure clear trends.
You're talking specifically handhelds. I'm talking ALL hardware - handheld and home consoles. Sony systems have a longer tail, it's pretty indisputable. In that context, it's still unprecedented and weird that 3DS may very well in fact outsell Vita in 2018 and I stand by that comment.

EDIT:
PSP outlived DS also outside of Japan (thanks to developing markets). PS1 greatly outlived N64, PS2 outlived Gamecube by huge amount, PS3 outlived both Wii and WiiU (crazy). This is first time that any Nintendo console is going to outlive its same gen Sony competitor. It's unprecedented.
This is basically what I'm saying...

entremet

You're talking specifically handhelds. I'm talking ALL hardware - handheld and home consoles. Sony systems have a longer tail, it's pretty indisputable. In that context, it's still unprecedented and weird that 3DS may very well in fact outsell Vita in 2018 and I stand by that comment.

EDIT:

This is basically what I'm saying...
I get you there.

But judging from this generation it's not that outlandish. Isn't the Vita their worse selling console ever?

You can't even find it in most stores anymore. I love my Vita, but even at release I knew it was going to be a tepid response from the market. Too expensive, memory card fiasco, Sony pulling out of 1st party projects, etc.

I get you there.

But judging from this generation it's not that outlandish. Isn't the Vita their worse selling console ever?

You can't even find it in most stores anymore.
It is but this will still be the first time this happens.

If it was ever going to happen, this is the situation where it would. But still, it's interesting to see - because it hasn't happened before.

Datschge

I guess that's why Japanese Vita developers moved to PS4 and use the Vita as a dumping ground for quick poorly optimized ports lately.

So our true hope is Asia English releases of current and future titles?

I mean it seems some of the localizers have given up on it unless there is a corresponding PS4 version or hell localize the titles to PC (like Neo Atlas).

“This year, we also plan on developing an IP that’s aimed at children.”

I just... I don't understand how this can be true. Sony Japan haven't been involved with a Vita game since 2014. It's been 3 years with nothing, aside from a retail release of Minecraft.

I know the game has done stunningly well there, but I don't understand how that will shift them to suddenly start working on the console again.

danowat

Banned
Just to piggyback on the back of this topic...........

Which Japan only vita games (for a non Japanese speaker) are worth getting?

hamchan

What would a Vita successor even look like?

The Switch.

Anyways I love the Vita and Japan has kept the thing alive for years. It's had a pretty decent run and I've played a ton of hours on the thing. If we're nearing the end then I'm completely happy with it. Also totally willing to buy special edition Vita hardware releases to stock up before end of production.

I've always really liked the Vita, and have found the "lol dead" shitposting that people have been getting away with on this site for years annoying for this exact reason. It's actually had quite a vibrant life in Asia.

I'm not holding my breath but I have an outside hope that the Switch's success will mean some rejuvenation of the Vita; turns out there clearly is an interest in handhelds, smartphones didn't kill them off. If anything, we've had a few years to discover the imitations of phones & tablets as gaming devices. And Sony have no other meaningful product in that space, with none on the horizon.

Frankly, the Vita's slow fade has been almost entirely a result of general neglect from Sony - premature abandonment of software development, allowing overpriced memory cards to hamstring it, lack of hardware price cuts, refusal to put together a bundle with PS4. Trying to sell it on remote play while not putting out a revision that cleared up its glaring lack of the PS4's most important buttons, the R2/L2. Sony was in a rough spot early in the generation and wanted to shift every dollar into the PS4 for highest return to rescue the company from dire financial straits, I get that. But now that that storm has passed, perhaps the outright abandonment of the portable space was a mistake that it's not entirely too late to correct?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

Meffer

The Switch is and will what the entirety of Vita wanted to be. The only value the Vita has now is certain games and the appeal of playing PSOne and PSP games on the go. That's the only reason why I still have mine.

Vita paved the way for the company who's been making successful handhelds since most of us were kids? Nah.

it was the first handheld marketed as a portable console like experience.

Sure its no Nintendo switch but it did do some amazing things

Full PSN integration. Apps, built in party chat that was cross platform. Cloud saves, remote play. The list goes on

maybe spend less time shitting on a truly awesome little portable just cuz its the cool thing to do

Switch doesnt even have the full feature list it should by comparison

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Vita is back to weekly sub 10k number in Japan isnt it? If thats even with hardware colors, it pretty much really means its dead as a nail

4G Vita unlocked worlwide please? Throw some OC in there to improve the performance of some games, SD support and I'd get it at 299 :(

Interfectum

Full PSN integration. Apps, built in party chat that was cross platform. Cloud saves, remote play. The list goes on

maybe spend less time shitting on a truly awesome little portable just cuz its the cool thing to do

Yup people love to shitpost on Vita because it didn't do well on the market... and of course anything that doesn't do well is free to get shat on here on GAF.

Like you said, Vita has so many cool things going for it... trophies, remote play, cloud saves, cross play, cross buy, etc. I'd pay good money for a Vita 2.

Oregano

That's not close to true. It's not even true if you talk about just Sony handhelds.

Its kind of a cruel irony that Nintendo switch iterates and validates the idea behind the PS Vita

all its detractors from when it launched and during its first year hit it hard for not having the things that the switch now has

Mainly full first party support, marketing, and that holy grail of TV out (more irony with the existence of PsTV)

Sony screwed the Vita sideways on multiple levels but given the timeframe that it launched in its hard to say if it ever would have reached a higher potential since the power gap essentially made it impossible for it to achieve true console quality like the switch does in 2017.

Still I respect this little monster. Its the precursor to the full realization of its Idea that the Switch is pushing.

100%

18-Volt

I just... I don't understand how this can be true. Sony Japan haven't been involved with a Vita game since 2014. It's been 3 years with nothing, aside from a retail release of Minecraft.

I know the game has done stunningly well there, but I don't understand how that will shift them to suddenly start working on the console again.

They probably meant third parties. You know, they really have been at hard work creating children's titles for Vita, namely, Valkyrie Drive, Criminal Girls, Monster Monpiece...

I'm glad someone is keeping the Vita alive. The Best Buy vita page, when sorted by release date, covers a period of nearly a year on the first page. That's depressing.

nampad

Hope something like PvZ: Garden Warfare comes to Vita. Seems like a good game for the kid market they are targeting now though Splatoon 2 will probably crush such a game in Japan.

Anyway, some reassuring Vita news is good, even if it is only for Japan / Asia.

Joey Ravn

Banned
PS Vita paved the way for Nintendo Switch

It will always have a special place in my heart and Im keeping mine

Sure.

If you completely ignore every Nintendo handheld and the Wii U.

But sure. We can go with your version if you want.

Edit: Ah, sorry. Got distracted and didn't push send for an hour or so. Glad to see it's sorted.

Sure.

If you completely ignore every Nintendo handheld and the Wii U.

But sure. We can go with your version if you want.

Edit: Ah, sorry. Got distracted and didn't push send for an hour or so. Glad to see it's sorted.

Pretending that Vita and Switch arent related in the theme and idea behind them is weird

Is it because Vita was a failure and it makes you uncomfortable with the association?

Switch has way more in common with Vita than 3DS/DS and thats just a fact

Gxgear

There's so many Japan exclusive visual novels / relationship sims / dungeon crawler so it's not that surprising. Wish they'd localize more of them though to the west.

Hope something like PvZ: Garden Warfare comes to Vita. Seems like a good game for the kid market they are targeting now though Splatoon 2 will probably crush such a game in Japan.

Anyway, some reassuring Vita news is good, even if it is only for Japan / Asia.

PvZ is already on Vita.

If they just fixed the remote play app to work with games lacking native control schemes, Vita could be useful for the life of PS4. It's ridiculous that the default scheme puts 4 buttons on the back touch.

Pretending that Vita and Switch arent related in the theme and idea behind them is weird

Is it because Vita was a failure and it makes you uncomfortable with the association?

Switch has way more in common with Vita than 3DS/DS and thats just a fact

No, it isn't.

If anything, the Switch is an evolution of the Wii U, which is an evolution of the Nintendo GameCube – Game Boy Advance link.

No, it isn't.

If anything, the Switch is an evolution of the Wii U.

Are we splitting hairs now?

Semantics?

Maybe its a little bit of all the above cuz its a damn hybrid

You guys act like comparing to the Vita is some bizarre stretch of the imagination when in truth its just as apt a comparison as the example you are giving

Are we splitting hairs now?

Semantics?

Maybe its a little bit of all the above cuz its a damn hybrid

You guys act like comparing to the Vita is some bizarre stretch of the imagination when in truth its just as apt a comparison as the example you are giving

It's not splitting hairs.

If you followed the Nintendo consoles from their efforts to interconnect the Gamecube to the GBA all the way up to the introduction of the Wii U, you'll catch the trend. The foundation and blueprint for the Switch had long been set even before the Vita was created, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

BigEmil

Sony should thank third parties many are still supporting the Vita!
Should give them extra advertisments and marketing etc for free

Top Bottom