• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Installing Xbox One games takes way too long; comparison

mattp

title is pretty misleading
this isnt time to install
this is time from inserting disc til you can start the game.it continues to install while you play

although it DOES show that for some reaosn the xbox one requires a MUCH larger portion of the game to be installed before letting you start

kaiyo

OK, they initial paragraph is confusing, but they clarify later on:

Kind of misleading, since the first line says

And of course, they go on to say both take around the same to do a full install

Not full install. It said, after it fully installs it takes about the same amount of time to boot into game.

mollipen

I really like that so many websites reported on this before the consoles launched, so that potential customers could make an educated decision, our game journalism websites really proved their worth there.

Uhm, a lot of the games weren't available to the media as physical copies until launch (or just before).

Derrick01

Banned
That may be true but it certainly wasn't 50GB.

I think the actual size, before the 2gb patch you have to download, is around 43-44gb. Close enough.

I know it's hard to believe but PS4 really does fully install games of that size in a minute or two. Trust me I didn't really believe it at first either and I kept looking for some catch.

olHSDwx.jpg

Good to hear the 'immediate' bulletpoint wasn't bullshit.

Still waiting on 'personalized', but they've mostly delivered so far.

see5harp

Like I said, don't play the game when you're installing it. Take a piss break and let it sit on the PS4 UI and it'll install before you finish in the bathroom.

That still seems shockingly hard to believe. It takes like 59 seconds for the actual game to load. You are telling me that the entire 40 gig installation took less than a minute to transfer to your SATA2 hard drive?

Orca

Geez, that's ridiculous in every title. X1 speed are what I figured they'd be knowing that every game had to be installed. Craziness is PS4 installing everything in less than a minute. My PC doesn't even operate like that for anything more than like 200 mb.

That still seems shockingly hard to believe. It takes like 59 seconds for the actual game to load. You are telling me that the entire 40 gig installation took less than a minute to transfer to your SATA2 hard drive?

It's not really the install time on PS4, it's the time to playable. The only drawback to it seems to be things like high res textures possibly being unavailable for an extended time while you play.

DrLazy

this is time from inserting disc til you can start the game.it continues to install while you play

although it DOES show that for some reaosn the xbox one requires a MUCH larger portion of the game to be installed before letting you start

Which is effectively all that matters. Title is fine.

I've decided. PS4 for me eventually. Which is weird, because this is my #1 complaint about the PS3. I can't even play a game of Magic right now because of a forever-long update.

Sean

Banned
I don't know if this means anything, but I noticed on my PS4 when it's installing a game the Blu-Ray drive is loud as fuck, and the Xbox One's disc drive stays mostly quiet while installing. I wonder if they're intentionally not spinning the disc as fast to cut down on noise or something? Is that even possible?

I think it's stupid though that Xbox One downloads patches/updates first before even starting the install process. Seems like something that should happen at the same time.

Damn, that's pretty damn bad.

It's not surprising that the game installs so quickly on PS4, especially after all the stick Sony got during the past 7 years. MS, on the other hand, didn't have to deal with it and as such didn't realise (or maybe didn't care) to ensure developers had access to faster install tools.

CoG

Good thing Microsoft is a software company so they should be able to figure this out better then Sony, a hardware company.

Seems the whole "Microsoft is a software company" argument has been completely invalidated this generation. Lagging in dev tools, party system sucks, OS is clunky, install times, etc.

mattp

I've decided. PS4 for me eventually. Which is weird, because this is my #1 complaint about the PS3. I can't even play a game of Magic right now because of a forever-long update.

not true at all
the game isnt installed yet even if you can start playing. depending on the game, this might mean a lot of game modes or content are not available yet and greyed out in the menu while you wait for the actual install to finish

edit: im not arguing this isnt an issue, but i am arguing that the issue in the title is NOT the issue being discussed in the article

satam55

Banned
Intelligent design.
I thought xbone had the same lz decompression chip between the disc and HDD to speed up this shit like PlayGo does?

THIS!!!!!!!!! If you go read the VGleaks.com specs leaks for the final PS4 & Xbox1 devkits from back in January, 1 of the main features listed for the PS4 was zlib decompression. That feature isn't listed for the Xbox1. A big part of Sony's design of the PS4 (& PS Vita), was fixing a lot of the issues on the PS3.

More info on the feature:
PS4′s PlayGo system explained by Sony’s Mark Cerny
Wed, Apr 24, 2013 | 22:17 BST

Sony’s lead system architect and hardware wizard Mark Cerny, has delved into the innards of PS4 as well as PlayGo which allows users to download games and start playing them before the download is finished.

20130311_ps41.jpg

According to Cerny, with PlayGo, PS4 owners will only have to download part of the game’s data in order to the play it. The rest of the title will continue to install on your system as PS4 copies data from the Blu-ray disc onto your hard drive. PlayGo is basically “two separate linked systems.”

“The concept is you download just a portion of the overall data and start your play session, and you continue your play session as the rest downloads in the background,” Cerny told Gamasutra.

“So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading… And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming.”

The system also supports zlib decompression which will allow developers to compress game data which will them be decoded by PS4 automatically.

Background downloads are also handled by a second custom chip which puts PS4 into low-power mode, making it more “green.”

“We have the ability to turn off the main power in the system and just have power to that secondary custom chip, system memory, and I/O — hard drive, Ethernet,” Cerny explained.

“So that allows background downloads to happen in a very low power scenario. We also have the ability to shut off everything except power to the RAMs, which is how we leave your game session suspended.”

It’s a rather interesting read, so you should really head through the link. In it, Cerny also says PS4 will have a “stronger line-up than any prior PlayStation hardware.”

He doesn’t go into detail on it though, as he can’t divulge the number of launch titles, so just take his word for it I reckon.

Thanks, OPM.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/24/ps4s-playgo-system-explained-by-sonys-mark-cerny/

Derrick01

Banned

Yup I timed it myself. Then when it's done I checked the hard drive to see what was on it and it said ~44gb for NBA. I did that for every game I installed and it was the same.

Weirdly enough only BF4 had to continue installing after I started the game. I have no idea why it didn't fully install on the dash.

ElNino

I guess you are not aware that there is no manual data management on the Xbone, so if your HDD is nearly full, it will automatically delete your oldest install without you knowing about it. You will then have to reinstall the game if you want to play it again, because maybe the single player DLC came out or something.
That's not true about auto deleting, and while there is no way to (currently) view storage usage like there was on the 360 you can manually delete an installed game... although I'm not sure exactly what it deletes and what stays (install, updates, DLC, saved games, etc).

Sure, but in this case Xbox takes even longer, so it wouldn't change much.

Dante

LOL....I knew the difference was big....But not this big. Also why are there some many non playable Xbone kiosks at stores? I've seen a lot of mock unit demo stations with controllers but are non playable?

see5harp

It's not really the install time on PS4, it's the time to playable. The only drawback to it seems to be things like high res textures possibly being unavailable for an extended time while you play.

Yea, but Derrick is using the 50 gig number, suggesting he is referring to installation of the full game. "Time to play" is a very useful number but it's a lot less meaningful for this game since you a forced to play as the horrible Spurs or Heat.

Raist

Banned
How is the PS4 even able to do this?? Sony using gypsy magic?

XB1 installs everything in one go.
PS4 installs some bits, then you can play. The rest of the install happens in the background when the drive would otherwise idle.

Early XB1 reports always talked about full installs for games so I'm guessing MS implemented the "ready to play" stuff relatively early and barely optimized that process.

gatisimo

I would disagree because I found it very frustrating that I had to quit out of NBA 2K14 and restart the title for the full install version to load. Also found the update frustrating, since it didn't apply it upon installation; I needed to quit and reload it one more time.

At the end of the day, I think both systems can and should improve on the process, but they're fine for now.

not true at all
the game isnt installed yet even if you can start playing. depending on the game, this might mean a lot of game modes or content are not available yet and greyed out in the menu while you wait for the actual install to finish

edit: im not arguing this isnt an issue, but i am arguing that the issue in the title is NOT the issue being discussed in the article

Do you even have PS4 or Xbox? It's exactly the same on Xbox. Things are also grayed out in Battlefield 4 on Xbox and in Fifa you can only play 1 match like on PS4. What are you talking about?

PS4: games are simply copying over.
X1: game comes with their own OS that are both installed and setup to work specifically for X1.

Mrbob

Each game comes with their own OS on XB1? Wow. Why would MS design their system this way?

Holy shit, Sony nailed this feature. Under a minute each? That's fucking awesome.

Technically it is under a minute to start. The game continues to install in the background. There are some odd examples like NBA2K where you can only play a quick match between two teams while the rest of the game installs. However, on the whole, the setup works great and is a massive improvement versus what is found on XB1.

Voice navigation is pretty cool and way better than PS4. I'd also argue that it had a better launch lineup (I like the PS4 linesup, but the only exclusive that is really good is Resogun imo)

Actually, the voice command is better than PS4 at all things except for games. ( another irony on MS's end )

For the XB1, you have to call out the full name of the game. No "Forza 5" , it must be "Forza Motorsport 5"

For PS4, you can launch Shadowfall or Assassin's Creed without needing to call out the full name, just "Killzone" or "Assassin's Creed."

Orca

Yea, but Derrick is using the 50 gig number, suggesting he is referring to installation of the full game. "Time to play" is a very useful number but it's a lot less meaningful for this game since you a forced to play as the horrible Spurs or Heat.

There's no way it's moving 44 GB in a minute. It's impossible. It'd be showing the number reserved for it.

harSon

Banned
Yup I timed it myself. Then when it's done I checked the hard drive to see what was on it and it said ~44gb for NBA. I did that for every game I installed and it was the same.

Weirdly enough only BF4 had to continue installing after I started the game. I have no idea why it didn't fully install on the dash.

Are you sure it's not just allocating the necessary space and spitting back a figure with that fact accounted for?

Wow, I would have never thought the XB1 would be that much slower than the PS4. I am curious to hear the explanation for the difference (are these XB1 titles copying the entirety/majority of disc data?).

In fairness, that is likely reserved space for the final install, not the full game.

Felsparrow

Neo Member

edit: Beaten

I'm pretty sure that 44gb is just it's pre-allocation of space on the hard drive to make sure that you don't suddenly run out of space mid-game.

Even with the fancy compression chip tech and faster drive, it'd still take longer than a minute to transfer that much data.

Top Bottom