• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Installing Xbox One games takes way too long; comparison

drproton

Microsoft owns Skype though.

And they killed the API just recently too. They left it just long enough to become the defacto VoIP platform, and now they think it will lock people into Xbox/Windows instead of driving them to other services.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Out of curiosity, does the PS4 cache games (like keep the last 4 installs) or are they more permanent installs that forces you to manually delete at your own whim like the PS3.

If it is the former, I could see why it is faster than the latter.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I think the actual size, before the 2gb patch you have to download, is around 43-44gb. Close enough.

I know it's hard to believe but PS4 really does fully install games of that size in a minute or two. Trust me I didn't really believe it at first either and I kept looking for some catch.

Yep. Every game I installed did so fully in a couple of minutes, except for NBA, which I played while it installed.

Bgamer90

Banned
XB1 installs everything in one go.
PS4 installs some bits, then you can play. The rest of the install happens in the background when the drive would otherwise idle.

Yeah, I was going to say isn't the install processes of both consoles a bit different?

I installed my 360 games and the Xbox One is pretty much the same when it comes to time. Wouldn't mind it bring faster though.

artist

Banned
bbfyeav.png

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ummm how did this not cause docked points against the X1 in the hardware reviews? It seems like a pretty big fucking deal to me. (although Polygon I can understand, they're a joke)

Derrick01

Banned
There's no way it's moving 44 GB in a minute. It's impossible. It'd be showing the number reserved for it.

Maybe so but I was able to start the game after the bar on the game's UI page stopped. Apparently if NBA's not fully installed you have to play that quick game while it finishes but I didn't have to. I was sent right to the starting menus where you create your character and sign in, then the main menu where I started a GM mode file.

The PS4's not installing everything, just enough so that you can start playing while the rest of the game installs in the background. Either the XBOne's disc streaming/file system isn't efficient enough yet, or it just can't spare the overhead to run a game, a background install and three operating systems at the same time.
Ahh, I meant everything as in every game.

ElNino

Can you snap the install screen and do something else or does it take up all the resources?
You can do other stuff while a disc install/update is happening. Last night I was playing Powerstar Golf while Dead Rising was updating and installing.

mollipen

Fuck Skype! Give me Google Hangouts.

I was thinking about how much sense it would make for Sony to get Hangouts on the PS4. It should be something that Google would definitely go for, and it would give them something that Skype on the Xbox One doesn't do (multi-person video conferences).

At least, I'm under the assumption that Skype on Xbone doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong?

Of course, the problem is it's Google Hangouts, and I feel like people are far, far more likely to have Skype.

How are these numbers even possible? What is the PS4 doing to make it so fast? I only have a PS4, so I just assumed those speeds were normal, but I did find it odd when Killzone (a 40gb install) took like 45 seconds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
title is pretty misleading
this isnt time to install
this is time from inserting disc til you can start the game.it continues to install while you play

although it DOES show that for some reaosn the xbox one requires a MUCH larger portion of the game to be installed before letting you start

It's nitpicking, but this is the time from inserting the disc on Ps4, and from clicking on the 'install' disc icon on Xbox one.

PS4 starts installing as soon as you out a disc in, Xbox doesn't. Might only be a small feature but it can definitely save time, especially if the TV is in use - just put the disc in and let it do its thing.

Could this have anything to do with the previous DRM scheme, and how disc games used to install and then the discs were basically useless? I wonder if the way the system is designed to install games, despite the 180 in DRM, is making the game installs so slow?

synce

Obviously Xbone is installing the whole game while PS4 is doing partial then background install. Still, kudos to Sony for getting it right.

Heysoos

Not really the point of the thread, but I noticed my Xbox One also takes forever downloading games. At least it's a lot slower than it should be. For example, yesterday I bought and started downloading DR3 at around 2:40pm. At around 8:30pm I'm barely at 32%. Then an hour later it's suddenly at 82%. So it takes me almost 6 hours to get to 32% percent, then it jumps to 82% in a little over an hour. The 52% gain in an hour matches my speeds, 32% in 6 hours does not. DR3 isn't exactly the biggest game either. The console is connected through Ethernet too.

This is like a throwback to how depressingly slow PSN was for me when I had a PS3.

DieH@rd

Banned
Out of curiosity, does the PS4 cache games (like keep the last 4 installs) or are they more permanent installs that forces you to manually delete at your own whim like the PS3.

All PS4 games are installed to the hard drive with the PlayGo functionality (if avaiable), and you will be prompted to delete installation if there is no space available for newest game you want to install. You have to manually delete game. There is a nice interface for that that you can access anytime you want, full storage breakdown how big is what.

On Xbone,there is zero file management currently available. You cannot see how much space you have left, you cannot see how big installations are, you cannot delete installations. When you insert new game and there is no space available, Xbone OS will delete oldest game from your drive.

Ummm how did this not dock points against the X1 in the hardware reviews? It seems like a pretty big fucking deal to me. (although Polygon I can understand, they're a joke)

I've seen this brought up like 5 times in GAF, and sporadically mentioned in some first impressions here and there with Angry Joe, etc.

Even we didn't really go in-depth with this, since not many of us could share sufficient comparisons. There were murmurs of it, but not enough to have made news.

pestul

Yup I timed it myself. Then when it's done I checked the hard drive to see what was on it and it said ~44gb for NBA. I did that for every game I installed and it was the same.

Weirdly enough only BF4 had to continue installing after I started the game. I have no idea why it didn't fully install on the dash.
Sorry dude but impossible write speed is impossible. The hdd is allocating that amount in reserve while it installs.

Mrbob

Ryse's first install took an hour and 38 minutes before it would let me actually play the game. So I believe these times.

What the hell? Is the XB1 installing at 1X speed? I remember the GB livestream Forza 5 was installing for nearly an hour before the guys could play it. This was off disc.

Nafai1123

Banned

Permanent installs that you can choose to delete.

TheExodu5

Banned
Assassin's Creed IV definitely takes longer than that on PS4. I booted it up immediately on my friend's system and it took at least a few minutes. Kotaku might have waited a while before booting it up?

adversary

Banned
How are these numbers even possible? What is the PS4 doing to make it so fast? I only have a PS4, so I just assumed those speeds were normal, but I did find it odd when Killzone (a 40gb install) took like 45 seconds.

The PS4 installs games in the background, so the initial update is only downloading the essentials required to start playing the game while the rest is downloaded while you are already playing the game. The Xbox One does not do this.

All PS4 games are installed to the hard drive with the PlayGo functionality (if avaiable), and you will be prompted to delete installation if there is no space available for newest game you want to install. You have to manually delete game. There is a nice interface for that that you can access anytime you want, full storage breakdown how big is what.

On Xbone,there is zero file management currently available. You cannot see how much space you have left, you cannot see how big installations are, you cannot delete installations. When you insert new game and there is no space available, Xbone OS will delete oldest game from your drive.

What the hell...

The PS4 has been great. Everything is FAST! I haven't once felt like in waiting for something. I'm glad Kotaku is talking about this issue cause I haven't heard anybody else talk about it

Bgamer90

Banned
Not really the point of the thread, but I noticed my Xbox One also takes forever downloading games. At least it's a lot slower than it should be. For example, yesterday I bought and started downloading DR3 at around 2:40pm. At around 8:30pm I'm barely at 32%. Then an hour later it's suddenly at 82%. So it takes me almost 6 hours to get to 32% percent, then it jumps to 82% in a little over an hour. The 52% gain in an hour matches my speeds, 32% in 6 hours does not. DR3 isn't exactly the biggest game either. The console is connected through Ethernet too.

This is like a throwback to how depressingly slow PSN was for me when I had a PS3.

What's your speed?

I download all of my Xbox One games at launch and it only took me about 5-6 hours. I'm on a 80 Mbps connection though.

Ryse's first install took an hour and 38 minutes before it would let me actually play the game. So I believe these times.

This is the general case with the game, or did yours take extra long for any reason? Was this off the disc or pure digital download? Jesus if that's the norm.

quickwhips

You can delete installations but I believe everything else you said is true.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yup I timed it myself. Then when it's done I checked the hard drive to see what was on it and it said ~44gb for NBA. I did that for every game I installed and it was the same.

Weirdly enough only BF4 had to continue installing after I started the game. I have no idea why it didn't fully install on the dash.

But the article says the progress bar on the PS4 is just there until the game is ready to be played, it disappearing doesn't mean the full install is done.

Kotaku said:
On PS4, after inserting a disc, you'll be shown a progress bar that ends when you're able to launch the game ...

It keeps installing invisibly in the background after that. And the fact that the game is shown as taking up all that space doesn't mean anything, as I'm pretty sure the space for the full install is allocated before it even begins. That's how it was on the PS3 due to the filesystem used, and the PS4 OS is based on the same foundation (FreeBSD) and likely works the same way in that sense.

Carnby

Does the XBone do anything better than the PS4? Anything?

Can YOU play BF4 and post on GAF at the same time on PS4? I didn't think so.

Do you want to play BF4 and post on GAF at the same time on PS4? That's a question for another time.

see5harp

What the hell? Is the XB1 installing at 1X speed? I remember the GB livestream Forza 5 was installing for nearly an hour before the guys could play it. This was off disc.

Yea, straight up terrible. If I wanted to spend that much time installing something, I'd just buy digital and do it while I was at work. Anything longer than 30 minutes is insulting.

Orca

Maybe so but I was able to start the game after the bar on the game's UI page stopped. Apparently if NBA's not fully installed you have to play that quick game while it finishes but I didn't have to. I was sent right to the starting menus where you create your character and sign in, then the main menu where I started a GM mode file.

44 GB in a minute is literally impossible, so either you have a magic 6x Blu Ray drive or a broken clock.

Pistolero

Why wasn't this issue discussed a bit earlier by all the journalists who had access to both consoles for a reasonable amount of time? The sheer level of incompetency in the millieu is baffling...

Top Bottom