• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Microsoft Punishes Gears Leakers By Making Their Xbox Ones Unusable

jesu

get a cue...
10 thousands? it depends on how much was written in the NDA..
cmon..
and if M$ would sue someone for NDA because they gave them free publicity with some small leak on the internet, it would be them in a REALLY akward position, and they know it..
so to avoid that they went "around" with breaking their xbone, since people would just assume that it was ms "goodwill" of not suing and instead just breaking a 350$ thing..
it's not goodwill, it's being pissed and unable to sue lest they are required to do even more damage control on their public image :)

The broken NDA is with VMC not MS.
VMC are potentially losing out here, because who would want to hire them after these leaks?
We'll see if VMC go after the leakers for the sum mentioned in the NDA.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
NDAs aren't like punky little EULAs. The consequences can/could be much more worse than this.

There's a whole lot of external testing going on, and if everybody who signed NDAs thought they could get away with at most a slap on the wrist, there'd be way more leaks out there.

MilkyJoe

get a cue...
cmon..
and if M$ would sue someone for NDA because they gave them free publicity with some small leak on the internet, it would be them in a REALLY akward position, and they know it..
so to avoid that they went "around" with breaking their xbone, since people would just assume that it was ms "goodwill" of not suing and instead just breaking a 350$ thing..
it's not goodwill, it's being pissed and unable to sue lest they are required to do even more damage control on their public image :)

Do you not have court costs over there?

get a cue...
cmon..

LOL

Garruson

If you don't think an NDA is important you're an idiot. The games aren't finished, they're being tested, that's the point so, if you leak things being tested that aren't in a finished state the amount of people that will think it's the final version or even not but shit on it for any flaw simply comes down to some idiot broadcasting footage of a game still in test.

Bastos

If you don't think an NDA is important you're an idiot. The games aren't finished, they're being tested, that's the point so, if you leak things being tested that aren't in a finished state the amount of people that will think it's the final version or even not but shit on it for any flaw simply comes down to some idiot broadcasting footage of a game still in test.
That's exactly what's happening in the leak thread. LOL

MilkyJoe

Don't forget you ruin the surprise. I like surprises.

Dunlop

I'm impressed with the amount of people that think that NDAs and Contracts aren't serious things. Wow

And keep in mind that this isn't just a normal testing, it's practically a job, this is not for fun, no one would take its own job lightly, and that's what these guys did.
It's probably a age thing

I break my nda at work and I am instantly terminated, possibly sued and potentially could be charged as I work with clinical information

Kinyou

What I wonder is if the leaks were even intentional? Leaking it through MS very own gameclip sharing would just be super dumb. They could have easily leaked some footage through anomynous ways instead.

What however is often the case, that some people might not know about, is that the XB1 will upload your saved gameclips, no matter if you decide to share them or not. Those clips can then be found on sites like xboxdvr

JNT

These people don't inherently work for MS do they? Ban them from the game fine. But bricking the entire console? Idk

And let's be real. GOW remaster is the worst fucking kept secret this e3. Let it ride.

You do realize why Gears remaster is a badly kept secret, right? That's right, because of people breaking their NDA:s. If they don't like the the consequences of breaking the NDA they had the option to:

1) Not agree to the NDA, or
2) Not leak footage.

jesu

What I wonder is if the leaks were even intentional? Leaking it through MS very own gameclip sharing would just be super dumb. They could have easily leaked some footage through anomynous ways instead.

What however is often the case, that some people might not know about, is that the XB1 will upload your saved gameclips, no matter if you decide to share them or not. Those clips can then be found on sites like xboxdvr

One guy took a pic of the beta and sent it to his pal, his pal leaked it.
Showing it to his pal was breaking his NDA.

The other guy uploaded the clips.Don't know if he was meaning to share them or not.

jesu

Thanks.

No, they evaded a clear statement by describing an XBL ban.

They were very clear

To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline. Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Do you people understand that "Persecuting to the fullest extent of the law" could mean something like 5 years of jail under the electronic espionage act, or six-digits lawsuits?

Their consoles being disabled is just a measure to prevent them access to private information they've just lost the rights to access, by breaking the NDA.

Said breaking the NDA will, in all likeness, carry much heavier consequences.

They were very clear

And here's the follow up you didn't add into:

Kotaku said:
Microsoft would not expand upon this statement, clear up VMC’s comments, or clarify as to whether they actually have the ability to render consoles totally unusable. Of course, the Xbox One is crippled without access to Xbox Live: offline players are unable to download patches—even those required to play certain games—or access online-only games like Destiny. But there’s a big difference between what VMC claimed and what Microsoft is now saying.

Either clear the air regarding this issue or be suspected otherwise.

Nugg

Of course they can brick the console. They can patch them anytime they want, I'm sure they can issue a patch that bricks it. We've seen bad updates corrupt and brick consoles on accident before, I'm sure it's pretty easy to do on purpose.

The real question is, would they do it?

gruenel

My statement is the truth, not a blanket statement. The only thing that keeps a lot of us safe is that most people don't know enough to use the real knowledge that people actually post on the internet. I am more worried about someone piggybacking onto a car companies network and deciding to play bumper cars than I am a game console being bricked.

This would have bothered me years ago before I started working in the tech field and learned what really dangerous shit is possible.

I'm pretty sure my fridge, toaster, alarm clock and TV aren't remotely brickable (yet), but whatever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol how has the thread title not been updated at this point?

I was going to ask the same thing. Must love stirring the pot here. For god's sakes, someone changed a thread about a wrestler within minutes because it was a little misleading.

Top Bottom