• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - No Man's Sky delayed

akileese

I really, really wish there was a stronger way these nutcases could be held accountable for threats posted on social media...

In the UK you can be charged criminally for shit like this. Not sure about the US. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to. If someone ever sent me a threat to my well being on twitter, my first call would be to local police and then I'd escalate from there. This behavior should not and cannot be tolerated in any form.

leng jai

I don't know why this reaction is appropriate... my buddy scheduled a week of vacation for the release of this game... he needs to cancel and reschedule that... so he needs to know the new date ASAP...

Scheduling a week's vacation for a video game. A day perhaps, but a week? That is absurd.

labx

Banned
Still no change in dates from GameStop webpage or Soundtrack's site.

So people why don't chill and stop shooting the messenger and focus the "rage" and "hopelessness" to Sony and Hello Games. And if I may I would take out of the mix sony too. Is pretty messed up that at this point non of the people at Hello Games are making an statement.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry :(

I just have a hard time myself (own opinon) to take anyone seriously without sources.
Unless it's a trustworthy reporter or publication (wich Kotaku is not)
If they named their sources their sources would lose their jobs. NDA's are big in this industry, if someone leaks something and admits to doing it they're asking for trouble.

GlamFM

Banned
It´s pretty messed up that at this point non of the people at Hello Games are making an statement.

Safe assumption #1. They want to announce the delay with a new date.

Safe assumption #2. They do not have a new date yet.

The1Ski

Haters in this thread.

People WANT this game to fail?

I don't think anybody WANTS the game to fail but there are people who think it will fail.

Personally, I don't think this game will come anywhere close to the amount of hype. If I'm wrong, awesome! That just means there's another incredible game to play.

Elandyll

Banned
Annnnnd... we're back Live. :)

Is it possible that for X reason the -physical- release date of the game has changed, but Hello Games is still very much pushing for a June 21st release for digital?

Other possibility that would be a "date change" rather than a straight delay would be the decision to advance the game's release to coincide more closely with E3, but we would probably have heard about the game going Gold? (For the pressing of the discs)

dalin80

Banned
Once scheduled a week for GT5... Yeah, ended up spending most of it touring western Wales instead.

Two days? Fine but don't plan weeks around a game!

Tigress

I don't know why this reaction is appropriate... my buddy scheduled a week of vacation for the release of this game... he needs to cancel and reschedule that... so he needs to know the new date ASAP...

I think it's cause some people feel taking time off for a game is ridiculous so they don't think it matters if some one who does gets burned. Which I can tell them I'm sure I find some of the stuff they do is something I wouldn't but that doesn't mean I don't recognize that for them that it is a worthwhile thing.

Or alternatively the idea that games get pushed back. Which yes I know and I kind of worried that it would as honestly I would have been surprised if it didn't looking at the history, but I figured I'd have known by now since the developer would have to know by around now since hey have to finish it in time to get physical copies out. And I made the request in case they actually made date which was what I was starting to think would really happen since they hadn't announced a delay yet. I didn't count on them deciding to wait until the last minute to actually say something.

Honestly, it's not asking much that they at least tell us in a reasonable amount of time. Not wait until it's too late to cancel plans that were made around the game. I'm not even asking for a new date, just tell me it's delayed so I can cancel my vacation request (and know for sure rather than have to be taking a bet on if the rumor is right).

JP

What the hell is it with people when games are delayed or rumoured to be delayed? I don't understand why people react so harshly in these threads.

The only thing reaction I ever have to a delay is "OK". Crazy stuff.

danowat

Banned
Wow. I'm hyped about the game, but now I'm really glad I never subscribed to that subreddit.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Videogames are a serious business?

I don't know, I don't get it, it's all bonkers.

Hang on, people really do book a week off work for a new game release?, I thought that was a meme or something.

GlamFM

Banned
Annnnnd... we're back Live. :)

Is it possible that for X reason the -physical- release date of the game has changed, but Hello Games is still very much pushing for a June 21st release for digital?

Other possibility that would be a "date change" rather than a straight delay would be the decision to advance the game's release to coincide more closely with E3, but we would probably have heard about the game going Gold? (For the pressing of the discs)

The GS sticker does not have a new date. It´s back to coming soon.

It´s no "date change" and it sure as hell is not coming sooner.

It´s a delay.

D E L A Y.

Videogames are a serious business?

I don't know, I don't get it, it's all bonkers.

Hang on, people really do book a week off work for a new game release?, I thought that was a meme or something.

I booked a day off for Uncharted 4, may do the same for GT:S but other than that, I don't think I would waste 5 days holiday on a single game. Shit still needs to be done at home so no doubt my g/f would find me things to do instead of playing games!

akileese

It´s a delay.

D E L A Y.

Honestly, I'll just sit back and wait for official clarification from..someone. Sean, Sony, whoever. This is starting to get insane. The silence is peculiar, but aside from a piece of promo material that also mentions a 9 month old game, we have nothing else except Kotaku saying they have a source who corroborates the story. I'm not saying it is or isn't delayed, but we're at a stalemate right now with regards to the situation.

Taking paid time off for a videogame is not an issue.

Expecting a game developer to abide by your vacation schedule is a laughable joke.

It's like expecting perfect weather on a tropical island you booked a week vacation for. Nothing is guaranteed and you have to accept whatever happens.

Scrawnton

Honestly, I'll just sit back and wait for official clarification from..someone. Sean, Sony, whoever. This is starting to get insane. The silence is peculiar, but aside from a piece of promo material that also mentions a 9 month old game, we have nothing else except Kotaku saying they have a source who corroborates the story. I'm not saying it is or isn't delayed, but we're at a stalemate right now with regards to the situation.

A stalemate that could've been ended with just one tweet by Sony or Hello Games yet they said nothing at all. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Seiniyta

I even wonder if it's not better to close this thread until more info is revealed since it doesn't seem this is going anywhere.

neonille

If they named their sources their sources would lose their jobs. NDA's are big in this industry, if someone leaks something and admits to doing it they're asking for trouble.

Don't need name and phone number, just something beside "I have more sources"

His other source could be anything...

A stalemate that could've been ended with just one tweet by Sony or Hello Games yet they said nothing at all. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Maybe they are to busy finishing the game?

Also let's not deny that this is free publicity and hype...

Elandyll

Banned

It´s a delay.

D E L A Y.
To be fair it's the wording of the GS announce that makes people wonder

rtwhvk4w8p1t1ddy1udm.jpg

If it is indeed delayed, it is what it is hopefully for the best for the game.

The fact that Sony or Hello Games hasn't said anything yet seems like a pretty solid confirmation that a delay is coming, they just don't have a new date yet. People really don't want to believe it, though.

Sad. I had already put aside the money to buy this in June.

Tigress

Look, this stuff isn't ruled by your friends vacation. They'll announce the new date when ready to do so.

If I were your friend I would expect... no, demand a personal letter of apology from Sean Murray and the entire staff of Hello Games. This type of foot-shooting behavior should not go unchecked.

;)

If he is unable to cancel his vacation, Sony and Hello Games should buy him a 7 day holiday at the resort of his choice.
That is the only way to make this right.

Taking paid time off for a videogame is not an issue.

Expecting a game developer to abide by your vacation schedule is a laughable joke.

It's like expecting perfect weather on a tropical island you booked a week vacation for. Nothing is guaranteed and you have to accept whatever happens.

Guys my it really isn't asking too much to ask hello games and Sony to tell us if there is a delay in a reasonable amount if time. Not a week before it comes out. They know by now if it is delayed. All they have to do is say something. You act like it is an unreasonable request to ask them to make an announcement already when it is so close to the launch date. Honestly if you make plans and tell people those plans, it is only polite to let them know asap if those plans have changed. We're not asking them to not delay the game, just tell us already if it is!!!

Maybe Sony asked them to not to publicly announce the delay because they want to announce the VR version coming later in the fall at their press conference?

That would be a really really dumb move on sony's part. There is not much benefit more to delaying the game so you can release it with vr over announcing when vr comes out that no man's sky will support it. And there is a lot more blowback you will get from delaying the game, especially if you keep waiting til the last minute to do so, just for the pr of using it to sell vr. Plus Sony would have known when the game date was announced this was happening as I'm sure they'd have to be working on it by then and could easily have just asked him to make it that date then.

Honestly I think people saying this are dreaming. I don't see Sony being that foolish.

danowat

Banned

The problem is, if they don't have a revised date a tweet saying, "look guys it's delayed" will just end up with a ton of people asking for a new date.

semiconscious

Gold Member

i'd say your buddy is learning a valuable lesson regarding video gaming. in that it's not something to schedule your life around :) ...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Scheduling a week's vacation for a video game. A day perhaps, but a week? That is absurd.

I disagree with you. It doesn't matter why he took at week off for vacation. That's his friend's vacation.

BUT.............I will say his friend should have seen this as a possibility. I mean it is a game that is basically all online lol.

Scrawnton

The problem is, if they don't have a revised date a tweet saying, "look guys it's delayed" will just end up with a ton of people asking for a new date.
But if you wait too close to release you risk ticking people off even more. If they don't know the new date down to the month then something is seriously wrong with this game. They could say "it's delayed to August 2016", but if they say nothing because they don't know the new date, that's not a good sign at all.

i'd say your buddy is learning a valuable lesson regarding video gaming. in that it's not something to schedule your life around :) ...
Like people who take the day off work the day in launches. Nah, you take the day after that off because then you can start playing the moment work is done and then play all night into your day off.

Seiniyta

I disagree with you. It doesn't matter why he took at week off for vacation. That's his friend's vacation.

BUT.............I will say his friend should have seen this as a possibility. I mean it is a game that is basically all online lol.

You can play No man's sky completely offline.

Tigress

Once again I'll reiterate. It's not asking too much for HG and Sony to just let us know if it is delayed. We're not saying they shouldn't delay the game. But since they have to know by now it is kind of rude to make a plan and then not tell people it has changed so they can change their plans. This is not like weather where there is no way to tell these things ahead of time.

danowat

Banned
But if you wait too close to release you risk ticking people off even more. If they don't know the new date down to the month then something is seriously wrong with this game. They could say "it's delayed to August 2016", but if they say nothing because they don't know the new date, that's not a good sign at all.

Publishers don't really like uncertainty, there is a huge lot of things that go on behind the scenes to facilitate a games release, I am sure they are already pretty pissed about the delay themselves, they probably want to make sure it's set in stone this time round.

Maybe the reason for the delay hasn't been pinned down by the dev team yet?, maybe they need to work on it a bit before they know how long it's going to take?.

GlamFM

Banned
Once again I'll reiterate. It's not asking too much for HG and Sony to just let us know if it is delayed. We're not saying they shouldn't delay the game. But since they have to know by now it is kind of rude to make a plan and then not tell people it has changed so they can change their plans. This is not like weather where there is no way to tell these things ahead of time.

Again:

Safe assumption #1. They want to announce the delay with a new date.

Safe assumption #2. They do not have a new date yet.

man what could have happened that they delay a game that is damn near on shelves?

Something game breaking. Maybe related to the online infrastructure.

Look at the "release" of Driveclub for clues.

akileese

I even wonder if it's not better to close this thread until more info is revealed since it doesn't seem this is going anywhere.

Not trying to backseat mod but yeah this would probably be best.

I have no idea why Sony or Sean haven't said anything. Two days should be more than enough to articulate an acceptable statement. Their silence is somewhat concerning.

Scrawnton

Publishers don't really like uncertainty, there is a huge lot of things that go on behind the scenes to facilitate a games release, I am sure they are already pretty pissed about the delay themselves, they probably want to make sure it's set in stone this time round.

Maybe the reason for the delay hasn't been pinned down by the dev team yet?, maybe they need to work on it a bit before they know how long it's going to take?.

But you have to agree that if something like that happens a month before release and it's possibly delayed to an unknown date, something is incredibly screwed up with your game.

danowat

Banned
But you have to agree that if something like that happens a month before release and it's possibly delayed to an unknown date, something is incredibly screwed up with your game.

We're assuming it's a problem with the game, it could be a multitude of things.

Sojgat

Weren't they having a lot of trouble getting it running properly on vanilla PS4? I'd imagine it'll be delayed until the Neo launches.

neonille

Agree on this, if it IS delayed then yes, they must found something really really bad.

If it was a minor bug here and their, that could be patched but if it can't be that....who knows.

Also if it turns out to be delayed i would totally watch a documentary about the entire development....

danowat

Banned
Agree on this, if it IS delayed then yes, they must found something really really bad.

If it was a minor bug here and their, that could be patched but if it can't be that....who knows.

Also if it turns out to be delayed i would totally watch a documentary about the entire development....

With a game so heavily reliant on proc-gen?, is there such a thing as a minor bug?, I can imagine it's like a tower of cards, pull one card and the lot falls down.

Top Bottom