• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - No Man's Sky delayed

OmegaDL50

Man, I even wrote an opinion piece about why I'm worried for the game, and I know the defense force is strong, but I want it to be good and I hope it succeeds. The vibes surrounding the rumored delay have been weird and it's strange to see people freak out so much over the rumored delay of a game we still don't even know that much about...

Edit: Uh-oh, top of the page uhh, I hope there are cool turtle creatures!..?

We know more then enough. The playable previews with the press coverage from two months ago had a fairly comprehensive list of information on the general gameplay loop and what to do in the game.

jschreier

The June 24th as the new date makes no logical sense. People just found out about the new delay a day ago, they haven't commented officially on it yet, and yet they've gotten gamestop to print out new flyers with a 3 day change reflected on it within 24 hours? Big corporations aren't that efficient lol
Lotta wishful thinking.

OmegaDL50

I am patient, so whatever happens doesn't really matter for me. I'll play it regardless whenever it may be. It's not like it would smart canceling my Limited Edition pre-order anyways and since I paid it off using balance from a gift card I recieved as a gift, it's not like I am losing out on anything.

Good things come to those who wait. Besides I got a extensive Steam backlog. It's not like I'll run out of things to play.

Although NMS, was most definitely on top of my most anticipated games to play.

Lemondish

Man, I even wrote an opinion piece about why I'm worried for the game, and I know the defense force is strong, but I want it to be good and I hope it succeeds. The vibes surrounding the rumored delay have been weird and it's strange to see people freak out so much over the rumored delay of a game we still don't even know that much about...

Edit: Uh-oh, top of the page uhh, I hope there are cool turtle creatures!..?

Sidebar: the gamestop advert shows another multitool and I thought I remembered Shawn saying there was only one and you could mod it?

Another "but what do you do?" post takes the top of a page again ;-)

We know more then enough. The playable previews with the press coverage from two months ago had a fairly comprehensive list of information on the general gameplay loop and what to do in the game.

The gameplay loop still eludes me, but maybe that's because I'm not sure what my prerogative in the game is going to be. I don't know, the messaging has been so focused on scope that I keep asking "but how does it FEEL" like a crazy person

OmegaDL50

It could be worse. There is another article on N4G that one of the point of criticisms towards NMS is a lack of narrative or story as if was necessary.

I mean seriously. What is the story for Tetris, what about other exploration focused games like Minecraft or even Starbound. Or even an Arcade Racing Game like Driveclub. Not every game needs a story.

The gameplay loop still eludes me, but maybe that's because I'm not sure what my prerogative in the game is going to be. I don't know, the messaging has been so focused on scope that I keep asking "but how does it FEEL" like a crazy person

1. Explore, Scan, Upload, Mine, Shop, Upgrade, Craft, Shoot, Fly to the Next Planet.

2. Rinse/Repeat a few trillion times.

That's the NMS gameplay loop in it's entirety as we know it.

OmegaDL50

There is a ton of information available for those reasonably willing to search for it. Especially several lengthy videos that discuss what general objective and gameplay principle behind the game.

Hopefully this might be somewhat enlightening - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXDCV9HiZ4

WMBT27

Welp...had planned on delaying purchase of the Elite Dangerous:Horizons expansion for Xbox One since I have NMS preordered, since they were only three-ish weeks apart.

If it's pushed out of June I'll probably just cancel my preorder, pick up Horizons to scratch that space itch and get NMS down the line.

neonille

So you believe a random poster, but not Jason who has a long reputation of breaking insider information and a track record that suggests his sources and ability to vet them is trustworthy?

Not saying this isn't the new date, just saying your resistance to giving any weight to what Kotaku writes is really funny.

Kotaku based their finding on a store employee to, same thing with these June 24 posters ,soooo...should we trust them or not? If we can't trust them, then Kotakus article is bogus to..

Also, there is no doubt about it, some Gamestop stores did get that marketing kit. Only problem is the July/August thing they started...

wotta

The poster could be from the UK as that's when it's out here. I've heard from various sources that we won't see it till July/August.

I just hope this gets the game off the E3 press conference.

Just do a trailer before the show with a new date. I am sure it will be playable at the show so we can get gameplay demos that way. If it isnt playable then this game probably is a mess.

Game is reaching driveclub levels of "this is so awkward I dont want you to talk about it until the final disc is on shelves".

Which sources?

This stuff again? Do you have a basic misunderstanding of the journalistic process or something? If you want to disbelieve the press reporting or question the accuracy of the sources that's your prerogative, but journalists aren't going to reveal their sources to you just because you don't like what they're hearing. Those sources are staying anonymous for reasons that probably have to do with keeping their jobs.

This stuff again? Do you have a basic misunderstanding of the journalistic process or something? If you want to disbelieve the press reporting or question the accuracy of the sources that's your prerogative, but journalists aren't going to reveal their sources to you just because you don't like what they're hearing. Those sources are staying anonymous for reasons that probably have to do with keeping their jobs.

Is that guy a journalist or just a poster though?

BouncyFrag

Please delay it to 2019. We would all rather want the perfect product it's not going to be than have it release any time soon.
The delay will allow Murray to team up with Bethesda to merge NMS with Elder Scrolls giving us the ultimate open universe, procedurally generated rpg experience: No Man's Skyrim.

neonille

I was talking about were he heard it/read it from (magazine/website etc). Jeez

Is that guy a journalist or just a poster though?

Yupp, as soon as you hear something from someone, even you mom or your friend who "heard from a friend"...you are now a investigating journalist and cannot cite your sources...

Just do a trailer before the show with a new date. I am sure it will be playable at the show so we can get gameplay demos that way. If it isnt playable then this game probably is a mess.

I doubt it, unless they're building out yet another version just for demo'ing out on the floor at E3, which seems like time they can't really afford to waste if they're working hard to get the final build finished, despite it allegedly not hitting its initial launch date.

Kotaku based their finding on a store employee to, same thing with these June 24 posters ,soooo...should we trust them or not? If we can't trust them, then Kotakus article is bogus to..

Also, there is no doubt about it, some Gamestop stores did get that marketing kit. Only problem is the July/August thing they started...

Kotaku based their findings on more than one source. We know one of them was a Gamestop employee, but there is no reason to believe whoever leaked the info on Reddit (or wherever) and showed the June 24 poster is the same source that Kotaku has. At this point, it's indisputable that that source is correct, and Kotaku has a reputable source as far as the release date being changed. You're agreeing with that.

So given their track record of reputable sources and being the first outlet to break major stories several times a year, why on Earth are you so hesitant to believe what they post yet so willing to believe what shows up on a random message board by someone with zero history or track record?

Yupp, as soon as you hear something from someone, even you mom or your friend who "heard from a friend"...you are now a investigating journalist and cannot cite your sources...

This....yeah, I can't believe how dense you're being. Can we please get this guy tagged when the inevitable delay is made official? I'm not sure how many times the sensitivity of anonymous sources needs to be explained to you. We have someone who is a professional journalist, as well as many other career journalists explaining it to you, and you're choosing to just ignore that why?

legacyzero

Banned
Hmmmmm... Two different dates in Steam. Shows original date, but then the white box shows June 24th. YAY JOON!

S1eni84.png

neonille

This....yeah, I can't believe how dense you're being. Can we please get this guy tagged when the inevitable delay is made official? I'm not sure how many times the sensitivity of anonymous sources needs to be explained to you. We have someone who is a professional journalist, as well as many other career journalists explaining it to you, and you're choosing to just ignore that why?

Dude....someone here just posted that he knew the game was going to be delayed...i just asked very politely were he had heard that from since he said he had multiple sources, and everyone flipped...I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT KOTAKU OR JASON...just a POSTER here.....

He could just reply that he can't say and thats it...

Sorry..yes the game can be delayed, but i really am looking forward to it so if someone says that they KNOW it's going to be delayed from multiple places...is it really that weird i ask him were that info came from??? Again NOT TALKING ABOUT JASON...just the poster.....

Or are you seriously telling me if someone says something on a forum i am not allowed to ask were they heard it from?

todahawk

I wonder if this is true?

The delay is only three days right? Doesn't seem like much damage control to do.

Saw your tweets on some of the crazy reactions you've been getting... Sorry to hear. Is it just me or are extreme reactions like that becoming more common?

Unless Sony makes the announcement on their blog with a PR statement from Hello Games.

I can't imagine Hello would allow Sony to make a delay announcement unless it was a trivial delay. Sean would want to explain a three or more month delay himself.

p.s. 4:45 is an hour from now, not two. It's 3:45 PST right now.

jschreier

The delay is only three days right? Doesn't seem like much damage control to do.

Saw your tweets on some of the crazy reactions you've been getting... Sorry to hear. Is it just me or are extreme reactions like that becoming more common?
The delay isn't three days, despite what a bunch of zealous Redditors want to believe.

Top Bottom