• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku receives death threats for reporting No Man's Sky delay

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/737755820444790785

1459482592624w5l8w.jpg

Tim Latshaw ‏@TLatshaw 16m16 minutes ago
@jasonschreier "Is Schreier still alive?"
"Yes."
"Then our hands are tied."

lolhaha...ha...

:|

What's also sad is that I'm starting to become desensitised to the subject. The first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was "figured as much". Horrible comments have become an expected part of anyone having some sort of public presence online, and that's messed up.

Twitter really needs to step up their game here. They won't actually be able to do much to stop actual harassment in the grand scheme of things, but just agreeing that this isn't allowed on their service would be the bare minimum.

Is this a Sony fan thing? I've only ever seen death threats involved with Sony exclusives for some reason. Uncharted 3 reviews, No Man's Sky delay.

Yeah I see plenty of anger in relation to Nintendo and Microsoft, but I've only ever seen death threats with Sony's stuff (outside GamerGate of course).

Did Bayonetta 2's situation invoke death threats? I didn't really look deeply there.
Take a peek at comment sections of popular news articles or Youtube videos. Pretty nasty things get posted on the reg, in all sorts of subjects. It feels like it's some people's standard mode of online interaction. Sony's flame has been attracting a disproportionate amount of moths lately merely because it's been shining bright in the past few years. Just as Jeff Gerstmann how Zelda fans reacted when he "underscored" Twilight Princess back in the day. GamerGate is also a manifestation of the same type of online behaviour.

Its been said 1000x but it needs to said 1000x more, places like Twitter need to do a far better job of stopping Internet bullying. Shit like this should be in no way tolerated

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What's also sad is that I'm starting to become desensitised to the subject. The first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was "figured as much". Horrible comments have become an expected part of anyone having some sort of public presence online, and that's messed up.

Twitter really needs to step up their game here. They won't actually be able to do much to stop actual harassment in the grand scheme of things, but just agreeing that this isn't allowed on their service would be the bare minimum.

Take a peek at comment sections of popular news articles or Youtube videos. Pretty nasty things get posted on the reg, in all sorts of subjects. It feels like it's some people's standard mode of online interaction. Sony's flame has been attracting a disproportionate amount of moths lately merely because it's been shining bright in the past few years. Just as Jeff Gerstmann how Zelda fans reacted when he "underscored" Twilight Princess back in the day. GamerGate is also a manifestation of the same type of online behaviour.

Ah ok. Wasn't around for that.

Why is a portion of the gaming community so damn toxic and malignant?

Its not just gaming, you see somewhat similar things in lots of areas when you are dealing with the most hardcore invested minority of something. Also gaming in general has lots of ties to the Internet so its easy for this kind of toxic shit to bubble up.

Ambitious

People like you is what's wrong with this hobby and the internet in general.

"but it's just trolling"
Fucking disgusting.

Don't say that. These people largely don't have mental illnesses. What they need are consequences for their behavior. Meaning banning by twitter or whatever social media platform they engage in this behavior on, police reports filed against them, and even jail time or community service for some.

Absolutely. Permanently delete their account. If possible, put some unique device identifier on a blacklist so they can never use that service again with the same device (would probably only work for phones and tablets). And finally, arrest them. Every single one of them, even the kids.

JamesAR15

When the article was published did Sean Murray tweet that it was false? That BeachClashers dude had a screenshot of it and I guess that fanned the flames further...

On a side note I learned that Sean Murray is a fellow bowhunter like me, definitely a plus in my book :)

JayEH

people getting upset at those reporting news now? Wtf is happening? Soon people commenting on delays on forums will get death threats as well.

Oh hohoho, is that Bish chiming in on Twitter?

Twitter give zero fucks. It takes actual bad press against them for there to ever be any action on their part. Around the peak of #GG they did, at last, actually have to be accountable of things, as the international media was covering the story. So for a few weeks they actually banned some people, though it was mostly suspensions. Can't actually kill any part of their revenue stream. Duh.

It's going to take something unimaginably godawful happening as a direct result of some behavior on Twitter for them to ever move on this stuff.
people getting upset at those reporting news now? Wtf is happening? Soon people commenting on delays on forums will get death threats as well.
Not sure if it's ever death threats, but mods here are talked about on other forums (almost exclusively by people who get banned).

icespide

Banned
When the article was published did Sean Murray tweet that it was false? That BeachClashers dude had a screenshot of it and I guess that fanned the flames further...

On a side note I learned that Sean Murray is a fellow bowhunter like me, definitely a plus in my book :)

that tweet never existed, it was a fake screenshot

I have reported multiple posts on Facebook and Twitter that have been racist, sexist and abusive and not once have they ever agreed with me and gone so far as to remind me that abusing the report system can get my account banned.

No social media platform cares about this stuff, probably from a logistical perspective since i assume there are tonnes of reports but it just shows that the ability to report abuse is meaningless since they have no plans to do anything about it.

gruenel

Death threats are illegal in the US as well and have the potential for serious consequences (prison). Just because it happens on the Internet doesn't mean it's not punishable. Somehow, there's still people around who don't realize this.

Has anyone in the US ever gone to prison because of a death threat on the internet? Serious question.

MikeyB

There is a whole lot of "these people" and "people like him" being thrown around in this thread without any real definition of those terms.

I don't find it surprising nor particularly "embarassing to gamers" that these death threats were made.

If somebody who liked watching movies threatened a critic or director, well, that's just mentally ill people being mentally ill or childish jerks being childish. There's no reason for soul searching when someone with a shared interest is a jerk.

XAL

This is the worst justification for shitty behavior.

It's not a justification, it's just an explanation?

When people can hide or detach themselves from meaningful consequences they can say horrible things for nothing more than mild amusement.

That's sadly just the reality of twitter/the internet. Dicks become assholes, assholes become deranged, etc etc because the ecosystem permits it.

ryseing

Wow, how could his 30 sources from GameStop turn out to be worse than a professional reporter's sources? It's almost as if a good journalist would know more insider information about videogames than a redditor. Or maybe he's just a part of the secret Kotaku cabal!

Seriously though, that quote is the best thing I've read all day. I'm really glad there was some humor to be found in such a horrible story of yet more twitter harassment. Twitter really need to get their shit together. Reddit too.

The best part of that thread was the guy claiming to be a freelance journalist and saying he was doing his job better than Jason.

30 GameStops.

antonz

Twitter is such a fucking joke when it comes to rules and enforcement. Death Threats? perfectly acceptable. Threaten to rape women? perfectly acceptable. Have a Parody Account named DarthPutinKGB? Banned

Realize when passion turns into zealous fanaticism and hit the brakes.

to everyone on that sub-reddit wishing death upon someone for even REPORTING about any supposed leaks, much less confirming an actual fucking fact: you have lost the plot. Take a step back, get away from the PC/PS4, take some time off. You're putting way too much effort and emotion into something that really is not that hard to comprehend nor understand.

To Jason/anyone who has to deal with abuse like this: Shit sucks and I offer my sympathies, it's sadly a hard problem to rectify, cause it's a human problem first and foremost.

Nothing will change on twitter until someone follows through or it gets reported by big news sites and they bring people in charge to task.

rokkerkory

Just report those jerks?

Making it public knowledge of just how big of an idiot and psycho you are isn't very smart at all.

Hopefully the public speaking out will get twitters attention. The more people to report the post, the better. That person making threats has some serious psychological issues and doesn't need to be on twitter anymore. How much can that account be worth to twitter. I mean, really. Flush it.

I guess nothing ought to surprise me anymore... :\

Are you fucking kidding me, Twitter?

Does it surprise you? Azealia Banks (a verified member that has over half a million follower) posted on her account that Sarah Palin (former politician) should be kidnapped and gangraped. They didn't do anything about it. She eventually got her account suspended because she posted some homophobic and Islamophobic comments about a former One Direction member.

I have reported multiple posts on Facebook and Twitter that have been racist, sexist and abusive and not once have they ever agreed with me and gone so far as to remind me that abusing the report system can get my account banned.

No social media platform cares about this stuff, probably from a logistical perspective since i assume there are tonnes of reports but it just shows that the ability to report abuse is meaningless since they have no plans to do anything about it.

The fuck

I'm so goddamn glad I have no interest in using Twitter and already hardly use Facebook cept for with my friends. People need to demand that they up their moderation practices. Like, to more than negative one.

Just report those jerks?

Making it public knowledge of just how big of an idiot and psycho you are isn't very smart at all.

He did. Twitter gave no fucks

Twitter's actions yet again go perpendicular to their own ToS. They may just as well take the whole section on "Abusive Behavior" out.

jschreier

To Jason/anyone who has to deal with abuse like this: Shit sucks and I offer my sympathies, it's sadly a hard problem to rectify, cause it's a human problem first and foremost.
I'm fine! Bigger problem is that outspoken women on the internet have to deal with this sort of shit every day.

drotahorror

$1000 fine every time you threaten someone on twitter (if from the USA and trackable). Other countries can come up with something similar.

Don't see how it's so hard to enforce a rule or two on twitter.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Twitter is such a fucking joke when it comes to rules and enforcement. Death Threats? perfectly acceptable. Threaten to rape women? perfectly acceptable. Have a Parody Account named DarthPutinKGB? Banned
Just looked up that parody account... wow, fuck off Twitter.

Top Bottom